Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

I could totally see Talbot signing a cheap deal with a team like SJ in the offseason and rebounding next year.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I could totally see Talbot signing a cheap deal with a team like SJ in the offseason and rebounding next year.
    Players almost never have good careers after leaving the Oilers
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Only if Dell is not under contract. He has been a fairly serviceable backup for them so far.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Only if Dell is not under contract. He has been a fairly serviceable backup for them so far.
    Yeah, I said a team like SJ.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Gillis/Gilman as POHO/GM. Bring in an actual R&D team like Toronto has and then pay for it and, this is the key, actually use it.

**** you Peter and **** Bobby Burgers too.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Nothing changes with this team unless a new guy comes in with the full authority to clean house and he actually does it. I have almost no confidence this will happen.

Even the guys that oiler fans think are doing a good job are not imo. (Gretzkys brother).

Nicholson from his last press conference showed he is just as clueless (and deceptive) as the rest and he is in charge of finding the the next sacrificial lamb.

vCash

Whoever the new GM is they will need to be very patient and the organization will have to be patient along with them. The Oilers will have to accept that they have to wait out increases in the salary cap. There really is no other way.

They have no space and very few valuable assets. The best move right now is no move. Just accept that the Oilers will be that team that either misses the playoffs by 6-10 points or makes it and goes out in the 1st round for the next 4 years. Then they can make some moves.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

I'm so glad I don't follow this franchise with the intent I used to. It would give me ulcers.
    If we have to wait a few years to start again, then just blow up management. Get rid of every pointless dude in a suit that pissed away Connor McDavid's career because they didn't know what the f they were doing... and get a new owner who has the balls to do something.

Is it June yet?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

McDavid is 22 years old and under contract for another 7 years. They can still win a cup with him. They just need the salary cap space to add quality.

Lucic is under contract for 4 more seasons, but you have to think that he'll get bought out later on.

I would expect that with salary cap growth and some contracts expiring/being bought out the Oilers can start making some real moves after 2 more seasons. Until then they will be a "just missed the playoffs" team.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

The problem is buying out Lucic essentially saves us nothing against the cap because of how his salary is structured via bonuses. All it saves us is a roster spot; which may or may not be worth it, depending on how his play continues to decline. Which is better, paying him a ridiculous amount to be a 4th line winger, or paying him a ridiculous amount not to play for us at all? Either we, we aren't getting that cap space back.

Our biggest hope is for a new set of cap compliance buyouts with the new CBA (and that one or both sides opt to re-open the negotiations early), but that assumes that those buyouts would let us count the bonus money, otherwise its the same issue as a regular buyout.

Otherwise, our biggest hope is for a trade. The problem is, there is no way anyone will take that contract straight up. Would someone take it if we retained half his salary? What crappy contract would we half to take in return, and would that be worth it?

(I suppose another "hope" would be that he qualifies for LTIR, but one would never hope for a serious injury to a player, even a useless one. But perhaps if he were to develop an "equipment allergy" ala Hossa?)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    The problem is buying out Lucic essentially saves us nothing against the cap because of how his salary is structured via bonuses. All it saves us is a roster spot; which may or may not be worth it, depending on how his play continues to decline. Which is better, paying him a ridiculous amount to be a 4th line winger, or paying him a ridiculous amount not to play for us at all? Either we, we aren't getting that cap space back.

Our biggest hope is for a new set of cap compliance buyouts with the new CBA (and that one or both sides opt to re-open the negotiations early), but that assumes that those buyouts would let us count the bonus money, otherwise its the same issue as a regular buyout.

Otherwise, our biggest hope is for a trade. The problem is, there is no way anyone will take that contract straight up. Would someone take it if we retained half his salary? What crappy contract would we half to take in return, and would that be worth it?

(I suppose another "hope" would be that he qualifies for LTIR, but one would never hope for a serious injury to a player, even a useless one. But perhaps if he were to develop an "equipment allergy" ala Hossa?)
    Precisely this. In order to actually save money by buying him out the player replacing him needs to make less than $1.25 Million on average over the next four years, and to top it off we'd have to absorb another $650K cap hit in years 5-8 to see those savings. That all adds up to needing to find a better player at league minimum to see real value.

If he brings as much or more to the game that a league minimum player would, you might as well stick with him. There was a point this season where I could see the argument for, but his January play certainly brings more to the table than most league minimum players would bring.

The only caveat is that a large part of the savings are seen in 2019-20 and 2021-22. Knowing the 2019-20 is looking like a really bad year for cap maybe's it's worth absorbing the full $5.625M cap hit in 2020-21 to save the $2.375M next season knowing that another year may create additional options to manage the cap hit of 2020-21.

vCash

Hey, if Lucic gets back to being a 15 goal guy, then the contract becomes and overpay, not a putrid pile of steamy horse dung. We can hope.

But, like I said, Oilers fans, management and media need to be accepting of the idea that no move is the right move until we can gain space by time. I just hope we can afford RNH in 2 years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Hey, if Lucic gets back to being a 15 goal guy, then the contract becomes and overpay, not a putrid pile of steamy horse dung. We can hope.

But, like I said, Oilers fans, management and media need to be accepting of the idea that no move is the right move until we can gain space by time. I just hope we can afford RNH in 2 years.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post

To me the whole mess started with trading Hall I don't care what others say about his character he is a younger player who points wise was earning his keep. If we keep Hall we don't sign Lucic and if we don't sign Lucic we can afford to keep Maroon (as he is a similar player who is younger, cheaper, and more effective). Then you've got Hall and Drai on the second line (as they showed great chemistry with each other) and McDavid and Nuge and possibly Maroon on the first line. For me Larsson wasn't worth it even when the boneheaded trade was made let alone in hindsight. I rarely comment on the Oilers as it feels like a lost cause and like I'm crying in my beer but that's my 2 cents anyways. Like Hugo says the whole mess just gives me ulcers to the point that I've stopped following the whole tire fire.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    To me the whole mess started with trading Hall I don't care what others say about his character he is a younger player who points wise was earning his keep. If we keep Hall we don't sign Lucic and if we don't sign Lucic we can afford to keep Maroon (as he is a similar player who is younger, cheaper, and more effective). Then you've got Hall and Drai on the second line (as they showed great chemistry with each other) and McDavid and Nuge and possibly Maroon on the first line. For me Larsson wasn't worth it even when the boneheaded trade was made let alone in hindsight. I rarely comment on the Oilers as it feels like a lost cause and like I'm crying in my beer but that's my 2 cents anyways. Like Hugo says the whole mess just gives me ulcers to the point that I've stopped following the whole tire fire.
    Oh, I don't disagree with you. I despised that trade from the first day. So stupid.

But, from this point on is now what matters. And the Oilers need salary cap space more than anything. I think Talbot will get traded before the deadline. Koskinen will be our starting goalie for the next 2 years. One last eff-over from Pete on the way out the door.

God, I hate that guy.

vCash

For the longest time, people suggested I "let go" of the Hall trade, "what is done is done". I would not let go as long as the man responsible for it was still employed by the Oilers. With Chia's firing, I feel I can now let go of it. He's left us a ton of crappy parting gifts that will weigh us down for years to come, and the GM (and coach) will have to figure ways around it (such as playing Lucic on the 4th line in spite of his price tag), but I can't hold a grudge against the new GM until he makes a bad move. Unless they bring back Lowe, MacT or Howson to power.

Lucic's contract is terrible. A few people liked it because they wanted MOAR BIGGER when it was first signed, but many saw it for what it was: a terrible contract. And to those that say "if we didn't do it, someone else would have", well, we should have let someone else tie an anchor around their neck. I hate the contract, but that doesn't mean I hate the player. As long as he wears an Oiler jersey, I wish him every success, I'm just realistic in terms of expectations. The problem is the coaches (perhaps under pressure from management), that play him in the line-up based on his contract rather than based on his actual ability. I still think he can be a decent 4th line player. Maybe even third line in a pinch. Keep him away from the PP, and off of the skill lines with McD, Drai, and RNH. In some ways, it reminds me of the Horcoff contract. People ended up hating him because of the contract, which was unfair. He was a great third line center, able to play second line center in a pinch, but was being paid first line dollars. Partly because of a lack of better options (possibly because we couldn't afford better options because we had overspent on contracts like his), partly because of the expectations that came with a contract like that, he was played too high up in the line-up and was seen as a failure. But if he'd been paid third line dollars and played third line minutes, we all would have loved him. Lucic still has the potential to play a role, but he will always be overpaid for playing the role that he is actually suited to. Unfortunately, in a cap world, that overpayment (plus many of the others on the books) will limit us from being able to acquire and/or keep the players that we desperately need higher up in the line-up.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    For the longest time, people suggested I "let go" of the Hall trade, "what is done is done". I would not let go as long as the man responsible for it was still employed by the Oilers. With Chia's firing, I feel I can now let go of it. He's left us a ton of crappy parting gifts that will weigh us down for years to come, and the GM (and coach) will have to figure ways around it (such as playing Lucic on the 4th line in spite of his price tag), but I can't hold a grudge against the new GM until he makes a bad move. Unless they bring back Lowe, MacT or Howson to power.
    The fact Nicholson has come out and said Keith Gretzky is not a candidate for GM because they want to keep him where he is, says all you need to know about this organization. The new GM won't have the power to dispatch Lowe, Howson, MacT, or either Gretzky. The core is rotten and nothing will change.

vCash
    Blog Entries

As anyone knows I'm not an Oilers fan (or NHL for that matter...) but as an outsider it blows me away how screwed up the team's management is. The rot is deep and needs to be cut out really bad but for some reason it just isn't happening. I honestly don't know - does Mr. Drugstore still own the team? Or is it a management group? Are the guys at the top invested in the team or are they just there to collect a paycheck for being morons? I mean, they're worse than the Esks right now!!!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

It’s funny and not surprising at all how the media is following the Oiler narrative of character, . Anytime the oilers did something like sticking up for a teammate they commented on what a character play that was. How a week ago that wouldn’t of happened. It was Nurse, he will get involved with anybody, it doesn’t matter. Nothing has changed except you the media spewing the Oiler Kool Aid. Nothing new from the media. Back to following Bobby Nich narrative. No backbone

vCash

**** you Russell you POS... garbage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    **** you Russell you POS... garbage.
    You can't replace heart, character, grit, jam, intensity, and being a good guy in the room.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    You can't replace heart, character, grit, jam, intensity, and being a good guy in the room.
    you can. We just don't know how.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm so glad I don't follow this franchise with the intent I used to. It would give me ulcers.
    If we have to wait a few years to start again, then just blow up management. Get rid of every pointless dude in a suit that pissed away Connor McDavid's career because they didn't know what the f they were doing... and get a new owner who has the balls to do something.

Is it June yet?

Yeah.... I'm kinda like THIS^^^^^ Why did we not pick up serviceable defense man like Hamilton that can play solid 2 & 3 line minutes, can have some offensive punch, play a responsible physical game??? Defense has been our Achilles heel for the past 8 years and the organization kept drafting/grooming flashy wingers that they hoped would some day live up to their hype.... unless they just happen freakin' trade them first!!!

Just an absolute train wreck that I have no interest in watching/supporting anymore.

C'mon Esks..... sign Mike and get back to playing smash mouth ball!!!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

McDavid's career isn't pissed away. He's 22. And by 24 he'll he holding out for a trade so his career doesn't ever get pissed away.

vCash

A good GM fixes this mess by July 2nd in all honesty.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Put on your GM hat...how the hell do the Oilers get out of all these bad contracts?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Well then I sure as hell hope we have a good gm by then, and then I sure as hell hope you’re right!! This roster and it’s contracts are an absolute disaster.

vCash

No chance. They're too far gone into Chia's predictable cap hell, next season is already lost. A good GM realizes the current window is closed and will focus on building a real legit contender by 2012-22. Keeping McDavid happy until then is priority #1. Firing everyone is #2,

vCash

How in the hell do you think this could even remotely be possible?!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    How in the hell do you think this could even remotely be possible?!
    If a team with lots of cap space hires Chiarelli, there is hope. Otherwise, I don't see it. Any move to make them competitive next year likely impacts their ability to maximize cap in 2-3 years out or depletes our prospect pool of potentially cheap players 2-3 years out.

There is no quick fix, all moves must keep an eye on maximizing their potential to be competitive in 2020-21.
    Last edited by bone; Today at 10:20 AM.