Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 301 to 317 of 317

Thread: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,718
    vCash
    755
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    A good GM fixes this mess by July 2nd in all honesty.
    Highly, highly doubtful.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,392
    vCash
    20597
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Highly, highly doubtful that we get a good GM.
    Fixed.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    14,955
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    162

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Is anyone still paying attention? I've given up.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,403
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    So spooner for Sam Gagner. Oh and Talbot is gone too.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,015
    vCash
    1330
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    I'll take that trade, tbh.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,387
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    134

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    A good GM fixes this mess by July 2nd in all honesty.
    it will never happen as long as the Old Boys club is sitting up top. They need to go if the Oilers ever hope to be decent

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    16,970
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    The Oilers have just over $72,000,000 committed next season, lets assume the cap is $83,000,000.

    By the deadline Kassian (3rd?), Russell (2nd?), Chiasson (3rd? Maybe 2nd?), Brodziak (5th?) should all be dealt.

    That leaves you entering next year with $18,000,000 in cap space and needing one top 4 D, a 3 C and at least 3 wingers along with a goalie.

    Every year at the draft good players get dealt for 2nds and 3rds. Last year Brendan Smith, Travis Hamonic, Marcus Johansson, Phillip Gruabauer, Lars Eller are some of the names, Jeff Skinner went as well, so you load up on picks at the deadline and then go shopping at the draft.

    If Sekera is recovered that's great, if he's not you ship him to Ottawa and they will be more than happy to take him on and let insurance pay him.

    See what you can do with Lucic. How much are you adding to him to add a guy like James Reimer that Florida has clearly soured on? Dale Tallon would still have a lot of time for Lucic.

    They'll have a top 5 pick, maybe you deal it? Trade down?

    There's a ton of options and ways to fix. 97-29-93-77 are all untouchable, I'd check the market on Nurse and Larsson but it comes down to if a GM is willing to get creative there's a lot of ways out of this that aren't all that painful as long as you're smart about it, and therein lies the rub with the Oilers.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

    http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,387
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    134

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    By the deadline Kassian (3rd?), Russell (2nd?), Chiasson (3rd? Maybe 2nd?), Brodziak (5th?) should all be dealt.
    should be... but those are the "character" players 6 rings and MacT love.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,015
    vCash
    1330
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    The Oilers have just over $72,000,000 committed next season, lets assume the cap is $83,000,000.

    By the deadline Kassian (3rd?), Russell (2nd?), Chiasson (3rd? Maybe 2nd?), Brodziak (5th?) should all be dealt.

    That leaves you entering next year with $18,000,000 in cap space and needing one top 4 D, a 3 C and at least 3 wingers along with a goalie.

    Every year at the draft good players get dealt for 2nds and 3rds. Last year Brendan Smith, Travis Hamonic, Marcus Johansson, Phillip Gruabauer, Lars Eller are some of the names, Jeff Skinner went as well, so you load up on picks at the deadline and then go shopping at the draft.

    If Sekera is recovered that's great, if he's not you ship him to Ottawa and they will be more than happy to take him on and let insurance pay him.

    See what you can do with Lucic. How much are you adding to him to add a guy like James Reimer that Florida has clearly soured on? Dale Tallon would still have a lot of time for Lucic.

    They'll have a top 5 pick, maybe you deal it? Trade down?

    There's a ton of options and ways to fix. 97-29-93-77 are all untouchable, I'd check the market on Nurse and Larsson but it comes down to if a GM is willing to get creative there's a lot of ways out of this that aren't all that painful as long as you're smart about it, and therein lies the rub with the Oilers.
    The Oilers still need to ice a team for the rest of this season, mate.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,854
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Nobody would give up a pick for Brodziak. He would clear waivers right now with that extra year on his contract.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    16,970
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The Oilers still need to ice a team for the rest of this season, mate.
    They do, and that's why you reload at the draft and in free agency.

    Let's just pretend that Lucic and 2nd can be dealt for James Reimer and everyone else I mentioned is dealt.

    X - McDavid - Draisatl
    X - RNH - X
    X - X - Gagner
    Khaira - Marody - Reider

    Klefbom-Larson
    Nurse - X
    Sekera-Benning

    Koskinen/Reimer

    Holes to fill? Absolutely. But you have Puljujarvi, a top 5 pick, Yamo and Benson all of those are in play to improve the team or to be on the team and a good GM (and again, that's the real rub) can hopefully identify which of those guys can help and which can't. You have lots of cap space suddenly.

    Maybe you can deal Nurse for Huberdeau and bump Sekera back into the top 4 if he shows well in the next 6 weeks? Or Nurse for Parayko and do the same thing?

    You'd have enough cap space to chase a Mark Stone in FA.

    Some team like Boston or San Jose or Columbus will stumble in the first round and be looking to shake up the roster, maybe there's an opportunity there?

    You'd have to be active and you'd have to be cut throat but it could be done and at least we don't have Peter doubling down on his idiocy any more.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Nobody would give up a pick for Brodziak. He would clear waivers right now with that extra year on his contract.
    You can bury him and he costs almost nothing against the cap though. If you can't get anything for him that's exactly what you do... his contract is barely league minimum even with the extra year.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

    http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,015
    vCash
    1330
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    I just don't see how any other GM in the league would take Lucic. Even if he was free. 14 points in 58 games and -11 at $6M for another 4 seasons. Nobody is taking him, mate. Nobody.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    16,970
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I just don't see how any other GM in the league would take Lucic. Even if he was free. 14 points in 58 games and -11 at $6M for another 4 seasons. Nobody is taking him, mate. Nobody.
    There's 20+ other guys in the league you could say that about including James Reimer.

    The thing in Edmonton seems to be we never get proper value at the deadline (Petry, Maroon both should have easily got 1sts for example) and we rarely get creative in trades.

    What if Sekera shows he can play the rest of the season and we can be comfortable with him as LD2? Suddenly Darnell Nurse is a guy you can trade whose trade value almost assuredly out strips his real value, especially after he gets paid.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

    http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,854
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    There's 20+ other guys in the league you could say that about including James Reimer.

    The thing in Edmonton seems to be we never get proper value at the deadline (Petry, Maroon both should have easily got 1sts for example) and we rarely get creative in trades.

    What if Sekera shows he can play the rest of the season and we can be comfortable with him as LD2? Suddenly Darnell Nurse is a guy you can trade whose trade value almost assuredly out strips his real value, especially after he gets paid.
    Yes, but this is not the way the Oilers think. It's a pipe dream.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,015
    vCash
    1330
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Plus Reimer only has 2 years left at $3.4M. No way they take Lucic for 4 years at $6M. It's not comparable at all.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    16,970
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Yes, but this is not the way the Oilers think. It's a pipe dream.
    I don't disagree that the Oilers will **** this up, I do disagree that it's impossible to fix.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

    http://www.nonstopsportspicks.com/br...-professional/

  17. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,015
    vCash
    1330
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: 2018-19 Oilers Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I don't disagree that the Oilers will **** this up, I do disagree that it's impossible to fix.
    You're right. If Chiarelli gets another GM job this spring we can fleece him. Otherwise nobody is taking our steaming pile of dog crap contracts like Lucic.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •