Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring on the new Commonwealth Stadium

vCash

News Bring on the new Commonwealth Stadium

What it means for you, the paying customer, is a much better bang for the buck in the stands on game days.

This past week I took a tour of the new facilities being built at Commonwealth Stadium.

Simply put it’s beautiful and not only do the players have a great dressing room and training facility but the football fans who will be enjoying the adjoining new suites and specialty rooms will also be totally knocked out.

There’s now a great mezzanine floor (south end), with brand spanking new client suites that can easily be adapted for size and needs depending on the client. The outdoor patio allows you ‘wandering around’ room – and has a stunning view of the field, looking directly at the digital scoreboard.

The Knothole Gang is back now too – and if you grew up in this town you’ll remember that this was very much part of the team in the glory years. It’s a welcome return, albeit now with a more ‘family friendly’ style than just a place to leave the kids in the end zone.

Full article here: http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/colu.../17859576.html

vCash

Re: Bring on the new Commonwealth Stadium

Commonwealth is a fantastic venue, I want to get back again for sure.

vCash

Commonwealth is a great place to see a sporting event - especially when it is full. Anybody know if they have a corp. sponsor for the new Knothole gang and where the section is located?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I bet Tillman didn't scout for all these changes..

Oh, wait a minute. Wrong thread.

vCash

Are there any improvements for this year for Joe Fan with seats in section (pick a letter) ?

Widening of the south end / new south scoreboard / etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the renos are happening and it's great for the club (and I know we're getting new seats sooner or later)...but the article sounds like everyone will see improvements (paying customer = better bang for the buck), yet the improvements listed (suites, tailgate) only affect a small percentage of the fans.

And while social media is very important and the Esks have done a HECK of a job with it so far (arguably league-leading quality)...I sure hope they don't extend it too far to in-stadium stuff. I've been to games in other sports where they have so many text-in contests and whatnot that more people spend more time looking at their phones than they do paying attention to the game.

Regardless, I look forward to the in-game presentation this season...be interesting to see what they've done with it.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Here is a question. Why is it no big deal for the City to get heavily involved in the renos, expansion, etc that has happened to Commonwealth yet not a chance in hell at building a new rink? How much is Common Wealth used in a year, 25 times? A new arena will be used 200 times, maybe more? I get the Esks are a "community based team" but I still can't believe how hypocritial this looks to me.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Here is a question. Why is it no big deal for the City to get heavily involved in the renos, expansion, etc that has happened to Commonwealth yet not a chance in hell at building a new rink? How much is Common Wealth used in a year, 25 times? A new arena will be used 200 times, maybe more? I get the Esks are a "community based team" but I still can't believe how hypocritial this looks to me.
    A lot of the newly built facilities at CW are going to be available to the public (field house, swimming pool, etc). Because that was the case I also believe it recieved federal funding as part of the city's infrastructure improvement projects. A downtown arena will get no federal funding and probably not any provincial funding either. The city will have to go it alone. In the case of CW we are looking at what approximately 100 Million? For which the city was responsible for what a third? The arena will be a lot more than that. Also except for eskimo games the city will be making all of the revenue from rock concerts and other events. Katz wants all of the revenue from all events not just oiler games. Don't get me wrong I'm a sports fan and I want the rink to be built but it's not going to happen unless both sides soften their positions somewhat.
    Last edited by adb; 04-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    A lot of the newly built facilities at CW are going to be available to the public (field house, swimming pool, etc). Also except for eskimo games the city will be making all of the revenue from rock concerts and other events. Katz wants all of the revenue from all events not just oiler games. Don't get me wrong I'm a sports fan and I want the rink to be built but it's not going to happen unless both sides soften their positions somewhat.
    Like I said in my post that you didn't bother to address. How many times will CW be used in a year that will generate revenu? 25 at the most. Esks play 9 regular season games, 1 preseason. Maybe 1 playoff game. So that's 11. How many giant concerts a year will CW host, 2 or 3? So we are up to 14. What did I leave out? Nothing.

I would take the field house out because that is basically another rec center. Maybe they will but I doubt the Esks get to use it for free. What about all the improvements to the stadium? You think the Esks flipped the bill? They probably chipped in but the City picked up most of the tab. I'm taking a whole new dressing room, the whole south side of the stadium. So if you are going to do one, how can you sit there and not do the other and justify it? The economic spin off of a new downtown arena with 200+ dates is WAY more than Commonwealth will EVER generate. How long do you think it will take to pay off the i am sure HUGE price tag to build that fieldhouse and pool, etc with Edmonton residents buying their 30 per month gym membership?

The Edmonton Eskimos did not need a state of the art dressing room that is better than 3/4 of NFL teams. They didn't need a practice facility that rivials most NFL teams. I LOVE THE CFL. Been a fan all my life and will be a fan until the day I die. The Esks are my team, they will always be my time. I have a 4 month old son that I can't wait to get him all dressed up in his Esks gear and take to his first game in a few month. The NFL is a BILLIONs of DOLLARs a year industry. 1 decent NFL player makes more than an entire CFL team roster. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely tickled pick at the facilities the Esks have now but how does a CFL team have facilities better than many NFL teams? If you sit down and actually think about the numbers for a minute. THink about how many times CW actually has events, think about the revenue a CFL team makes in comparision to most pro leagues. Take a look at the size of the project that took place out there and actually think about it. Financially wise for the City, the size and scale of that project makes ZERO sense to me. I don't know how much it cost but you have to think it was 100's of millions. I'm 33 yrs old. If they just use what revenue they generate from all that new facility to pay back the loan im sure they took out. Would they be able to pay for that in my life time? I doubt it.

So here they are proposing to have the City get involved in a new rink downtown. A rink that will get used at the very least 10 times as much as CW, inject life into a downtown on life support and generate 100's of millions of dollars per yr in tax revenue. Yet the people of Edmonton freak out about it. I never heard one single peep about CW renos. Can someone explain this to me? I'm a pretty educated guy but I can't for the life of me understand how Edmontonians and justify one but not the other?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Like I said in my post that you didn't bother to address. How many times will CW be used in a year that will generate revenu? 25 at the most. Esks play 9 regular season games, 1 preseason. Maybe 1 playoff game. So that's 11. How many giant concerts a year will CW host, 2 or 3? So we are up to 14. What did I leave out? Nothing.

I would take the field house out because that is basically another rec center. Maybe they will but I doubt the Esks get to use it for free. What about all the improvements to the stadium? You think the Esks flipped the bill? They probably chipped in but the City picked up most of the tab. I'm taking a whole new dressing room, the whole south side of the stadium. So if you are going to do one, how can you sit there and not do the other and justify it? The economic spin off of a new downtown arena with 200+ dates is WAY more than Commonwealth will EVER generate. How long do you think it will take to pay off the i am sure HUGE price tag to build that fieldhouse and pool, etc with Edmonton residents buying their 30 per month gym membership?

The Edmonton Eskimos did not need a state of the art dressing room that is better than 3/4 of NFL teams. They didn't need a practice facility that rivials most NFL teams. I LOVE THE CFL. Been a fan all my life and will be a fan until the day I die. The Esks are my team, they will always be my time. I have a 4 month old son that I can't wait to get him all dressed up in his Esks gear and take to his first game in a few month. The NFL is a BILLIONs of DOLLARs a year industry. 1 decent NFL player makes more than an entire CFL team roster. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely tickled pick at the facilities the Esks have now but how does a CFL team have facilities better than many NFL teams? If you sit down and actually think about the numbers for a minute. THink about how many times CW actually has events, think about the revenue a CFL team makes in comparision to most pro leagues. Take a look at the size of the project that took place out there and actually think about it. Financially wise for the City, the size and scale of that project makes ZERO sense to me. I don't know how much it cost but you have to think it was 100's of millions. I'm 33 yrs old. If they just use what revenue they generate from all that new facility to pay back the loan im sure they took out. Would they be able to pay for that in my life time? I doubt it.

So here they are proposing to have the City get involved in a new rink downtown. A rink that will get used at the very least 10 times as much as CW, inject life into a downtown on life support and generate 100's of millions of dollars per yr in tax revenue. Yet the people of Edmonton freak out about it. I never heard one single peep about CW renos. Can someone explain this to me? I'm a pretty educated guy but I can't for the life of me understand how Edmontonians and justify one but not the other?
    I'm thinking that a lot of it comes down to cost. I'm not positive but as I said before I believe that all of the costs came to 100 Million for CW with the city having to pony up about a third (if anyone has better information please correct me here). In the case of the arena the city will have to pony up what? 100 Million? 200 Million? That's a big difference. Yes you are right when you say that the economic benefit will be much greater for an arena but a lot of council members and taxpayers will look at the total bill and frankly choke on it. The economic benefits are not at the forefront when they are considering the proposal. As I said before I'm for an arena but IMO both sides will have to amend their current positions in order for it to happen.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure I remember hearing/reading that the Esks did pay a big portion on the bill, for some reason I'm thinking half? (although that might have just been the turf but regardless) You might not think so, but I think they do deserve the best...why don't they? I for one don't have a problem with any of my tax money going to the stadium renos...but am not really keen on the arena...mainly because it's not a draw for me.
    The city is supposed to pay for the whole thing, while Katz gets all the profits? Sure...why not...great idea...
    How much money are the Oilers putting into the new arena? Not the Katz group...the OILERS...I'm betting $0, zilch, nada.

I'll admit that sure, the whole project downtown might be a draw for the community and all that...but at what cost? A new arena would be nice sure, but not if there won't be any federal money going to it. Especially with the constant threat over our heads that the team will move and blah blah blah...no chance of the Esks moving to another town.

Hypocritical? Maybe...but strangely enough, I'm comfortable with it. I'd rather have new seats at Commonwealth that my family will get to use for many, many years to come along with everything else that the stadium has to offer...than a spiffy new downtown arena that I might be able to use once every two years or so, simply because of the cost of using the facility. When I think about spending roughly the same amount for my family to see one Oilers game, after parking, snacks and maybe a beer each for the TW & I, that's almost as much as I pay for my season seats! For all three of my season seats combined...which aren't in the nosebleeds where I would be for a hockey game...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Pretty sure CW is paid off a long time ago.....meaning that any revenue the city generates or has generated in the past is money back in the coffers. I am also sure that the city does recoup much of those revenues themselves, with portions going to the EEFC. I'm sure someone knows exactly what and how they are split.

In the case of the arena, what is the city going to see back from those revenues? Diddly I reckon, it'll all be going to Katz. I don't know if I'd call that hypocritical.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Pretty sure CW is paid off a long time ago.....meaning that any revenue the city generates or has generated in the past is money back in the coffers. I am also sure that the city does recoup much of those revenues themselves, with portions going to the EEFC. I'm sure someone knows exactly what and how they are split.

In the case of the arena, what is the city going to see back from those revenues? Diddly I reckon, it'll all be going to Katz. I don't know if I'd call that hypocritical.
    Exactly my point. If the Katz group were to say soften their position and say they would only get all revenues from game days and revenues from other events would go to the city or would even be split between the city and Katz then I bet you that might speed things along.

vCash

I'm thinking that a lot of it comes down to cost. I'm not positive but as I said before I believe that all of the costs came to 100 Million for CW with the city having to pony up about a third (if anyone has better information please correct me here). In the case of the arena the city will have to pony up what? 100 Million? 200 Million? That's a big difference. Yes you are right when you say that the economic benefit will be much greater for an arena but a lot of council members and taxpayers will look at the total bill and frankly choke on it. The economic benefits are not at the forefront when they are considering the proposal. As I said before I'm for an arena but IMO both sides will have to amend their current positions in order for it to happen.
    I'm sure you are right. I more think its an attitude problem. People need to get off the whole subsidizing a billionaire so he can pay millionaires attitude that you hear all the time. They have to look at it with the perspective of "if the City gets involved in this, will it help our City and bring a tremendous benefit" and the answer is yes it will. If anyone says no it won't then either they got no clue what they are talking about or they aren't looking at it objectively.

The City will be lucky to break even on what they did at CW. With the amount it will cost to staff/run everything, they might generate enough and a yearly basis so they can pay the load off, maybe. I'm guessing they will not make enough to pay to run it plus pay the loan so it will be a yearly facility cost they just pay out of tax money. With the Arena, even if the City pays 200 mill for a new arena, they will get that back fairly quickly and make money on it. Property values aren't going to shoot up because CW got a facelift and a new field house got built. New busnesses or residences aren't going to grow up around it like a new rink.

IMO the City is not looking at this possible arena project objectively or looking at it as a busness opportunity. THey are letting emotions sway their opinion. They got councilors on the nothlands board, who is basically a direct competitor to Katz influencing them. Seems wrong to me.

vCash

For all of the criticism that RLL and the Eskimo board take on this forum, this is a prime example of one of the things they do very well. Not only has the project gone ahead and is coming to a successful completion, but you've hardly heard a bitch or a moan about it from anyone concerning the public funds that were contributed.

Katz could only dream about such a smooth situation.

There are a lot of differences, as have been pointed out, but I think that there's a credit where credit is due element in this too.

I agree with GF2's point, that I've yet to see anything substantive that will benefit the common fan... I think there will be, but to date, the attention on the suites, decks, boxes, etc will be benefiting a limited segment. Perhaps it will drive better revenues from those segments ultimately, allowing to keep a hold on prices for the rest of us.

vCash

Not to steer this solely into an arena debate (and, mods, feel free to split if necessary) but I see a lot of differences between CW and the new hockey arena.

1. Hockey is higher profile than football. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is...and the higher the profile, the more vocal the opposition.

2. The City owns CW and it's paid off. The risk...or at least the perceived risk...to taxpayers is much, much less.

3. You don't exactly see the threat of the Eskimo's leaving for another City being thrown out there.

Ultimately, I don't think we know EXACTLY where negotiations are at with the arena. If it IS the case that Katz wants (and will get) every dime of revenue from the arena...then I have an extremely difficult time understanding why the City would pay for any part of the construction of it.

I am building a new home...it will improve the neighborhood and will raise property taxes for the city. It might even inspire my neighbors to spruce up their home...but there is no god damn way I "expect" the city to pay me to do it....why should that principle be any different from Katz?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Muley69 View Post
    2. The City owns CW and it's paid off. The risk...or at least the perceived risk...to taxpayers is much, much less.
    This is the most important thing in my opinion. The city is investing in an asset they own.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBrr View Post
    This is the most important thing in my opinion. The city is investing in an asset they own.
    Theoretically (from what I've read/heard) the city would also own the arena they just would not be entitled to any of the revenue generated directly by it in terms of events (rent, concessions, parking, etc) only indirectly through property taxes of surrounding infrastructure that would not have been built if not for the arena. At least that's how I understand it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Theoretically (from what I've read/heard) the city would also own the arena they just would not be entitled to any of the revenue generated directly by it in terms of events (rent, concessions, parking, etc) only indirectly through property taxes of surrounding infrastructure that would not have been built if not for the arena. At least that's how I understand it.
    Maybe I'm looking at this a little too simple...but wouldn't this be like owning a mall? I don't remember having to pay the Germezians anything besides rent back when I was running a Sunglass Hut at WEM...
    SO in theory, maybe that's Katz's point?

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Pretty sure I remember hearing/reading that the Esks did pay a big portion on the bill, for some reason I'm thinking half? (although that might have just been the turf but regardless) You might not think so, but I think they do deserve the best...why don't they? I for one don't have a problem with any of my tax money going to the stadium renos...but am not really keen on the arena...mainly because it's not a draw for me.
    The city is supposed to pay for the whole thing, while Katz gets all the profits? Sure...why not...great idea...
    How much money are the Oilers putting into the new arena? Not the Katz group...the OILERS...I'm betting $0, zilch, nada.

I'll admit that sure, the whole project downtown might be a draw for the community and all that...but at what cost? A new arena would be nice sure, but not if there won't be any federal money going to it. Especially with the constant threat over our heads that the team will move and blah blah blah...no chance of the Esks moving to another town.

Hypocritical? Maybe...but strangely enough, I'm comfortable with it. I'd rather have new seats at Commonwealth that my family will get to use for many, many years to come along with everything else that the stadium has to offer...than a spiffy new downtown arena that I might be able to use once every two years or so, simply because of the cost of using the facility. When I think about spending roughly the same amount for my family to see one Oilers game, after parking, snacks and maybe a beer each for the TW & I, that's almost as much as I pay for my season seats! For all three of my season seats combined...which aren't in the nosebleeds where I would be for a hockey game...
    x2 This is exactly how I feel, I havent missed an Eskimo game home or away for almost 10 years (Hell, I skipped my own grad ceremony to go to the opener against WPG in '07 lol) but as for Hockey? I don't think I've watched a single Oiler game all season. I have no problem with a new arena being built, But really I'm much more excited about whats going on at CW.

Really hoping they can get started on those new seats this spring yet!

1. Hockey is higher profile than football. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is...and the higher the profile, the more vocal the opposition.
    I'm totally with you on that one!

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you are right. I more think its an attitude problem. People need to get off the whole subsidizing a billionaire so he can pay millionaires attitude that you hear all the time. They have to look at it with the perspective of "if the City gets involved in this, will it help our City and bring a tremendous benefit" and the answer is yes it will. If anyone says no it won't then either they got no clue what they are talking about or they aren't looking at it objectively.

The City will be lucky to break even on what they did at CW. With the amount it will cost to staff/run everything, they might generate enough and a yearly basis so they can pay the load off, maybe. I'm guessing they will not make enough to pay to run it plus pay the loan so it will be a yearly facility cost they just pay out of tax money. With the Arena, even if the City pays 200 mill for a new arena, they will get that back fairly quickly and make money on it. Property values aren't going to shoot up because CW got a facelift and a new field house got built. New busnesses or residences aren't going to grow up around it like a new rink.

IMO the City is not looking at this possible arena project objectively or looking at it as a busness opportunity. THey are letting emotions sway their opinion. They got councilors on the nothlands board, who is basically a direct competitor to Katz influencing them. Seems wrong to me.
    I am thinking that because the facility (parts of it anyways) is slated to be used directly by the public that the city was more willing to invest in it. It's like investing in a public swimming pool. You're not necessarily looking to make a profit. Breaking even would be nice but even if you don't you justify it by stating that the community benefited from it by using it. For example kids are able to take up swimming and get in better shape. Also because the public is slatted to use it you are able to get provincial/federal money involved to invest in it. This is like free money (From the city's point of view. Nothing is free of course as we all as taxpayers pay for it) to upgrade the asset you own. Hard to resist that from the city's point of view. It's like Hamilton taking advantage of the 2015 Pan Am Games money to upgrade Ivor Wynn. They justify the huge chunk of change they have to invest in it by pointing to the additional dollars that they are recieving. This makes it an easier sell with the city tax payer.
    Last edited by adb; 04-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.

vCash

Just give billionaire Katz his $350,000,000 and be done with it. Then we can all sleep at night as all the non Edmonton hockey players take all the money out of our local economy.

vCash

Beerfish, while I think (I hope...) your post was tongue-in-cheek, I CAN see the argument that Edmonton (as a whole) does benefit from the presence of the arena over-and-above what might otherwise and ordinarily occur, where you can argue the City could / should contribute.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Just give billionaire Katz his $350,000,000 and be done with it. Then we can all sleep at night as all the non Edmonton hockey players take all the money out of our local economy.
    Exhibit A of people and the negative attitude towards moving the City forward. As much as I love Edmonton, I was in Calgary last weekend helping a buddy move and Edmonton is 10 yrs behind Calgary in their down town development. Alberta is one of the richest provinces/states in North America and it's capital city looks like Saskatoon. Something wrong with that.

vCash

I am thinking that because the facility (parts of it anyways) is slated to be used directly by the public that the city was more willing to invest in it. It's like investing in a public swimming pool. You're not necessarily looking to make a profit. Breaking even would be nice but even if you don't you justify it by stating that the community benefited from it by using it. For example kids are able to take up swimming and get in better shape. Also because the public is slatted to use it you are able to get provincial/federal money involved to invest in it. This is like free money (From the city's point of view. Nothing is free of course as we all as taxpayers pay for it) to upgrade the asset you own. Hard to resist that from the city's point of view. It's like Hamilton taking advantage of the 2015 Pan Am Games money to upgrade Ivor Wynn. They justify the huge chunk of change they have to invest in it by pointing to the additional dollars that they are recieving. This makes it an easier sell with the city tax payer.
    Hey man, I totally get it. A new arena doesn't benefit single mommy taking her 3 kids to swim class but like it or not a City is judged by its facilities and its downtown. It's the capital city of the province and as much as I dislike Calgary, their downtown is significantly better than Edmonton's. Don't believe me? Take a look at how many head offices are down in Calgary compared to Edmonton? Some of which are companies that STARTED in Edmonton. Example. Shaw Communications started in Edmonton.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Exhibit A of people and the negative attitude towards moving the City forward. As much as I love Edmonton, I was in Calgary last weekend helping a buddy move and Edmonton is 10 yrs behind Calgary in their down town development. Alberta is one of the richest provinces/states in North America and it's capital city looks like Saskatoon. Something wrong with that.
    Sorry...but if I wanted to live in Calgary, I'd move...when I think of Calgary, I think of bad traffic, among other things. The point being, having a downtown that's all highrise and blah blah blah...isn't Edmonton. I don't see anything wrong with the way it is. (and granted it's been a long time since I've been in S'toon...but I think Edmonton's a hell of a lot better than that...come on...)

vCash

Sorry...but if I wanted to live in Calgary, I'd move...when I think of Calgary, I think of bad traffic, among other things. The point being, having a downtown that's all highrise and blah blah blah...isn't Edmonton. I don't see anything wrong with the way it is. (and granted it's been a long time since I've been in S'toon...but I think Edmonton's a hell of a lot better than that...come on...)
    Definately better then Saskatoon, but a far cry from REGINA

vCash

Here's some answers to your questions, Q. When you look at it overall, only a small part of the project has to do with the stadium itself...so I don't think your usage argument quite works (though I see your point).

The entire project cost $95 million.

$26 million of that was the field house.

$60 million of that was the redo of the rec centre - new pool, etc.

$9 million of that was the stadium renos - Esks' locker room, coaches' offices/meeting rooms on 2nd level, city offices/meeting rooms on 3rd level.

Esks ponied up $7.5 million for the stadium renos and $1.3 million for the new turf (which, if you think about it, was a decision made based on the city's plan for the facility). Plus they will undoubtedly share a bunch of the $12 million cost for new seats.

So yeah...the Eskimos did pay for their bit of the project. Yes, they are getting help with the field house etc., there is no doubt - but that field house is going to be in HUGE demand from amateur sports groups 365 days a year, especially with the winters we have. And the stadium rec centre is used by a fair number of people already AFAIK...will likely be more with the renos.
    Last edited by gizmo fan 2; 04-04-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

I must respond to defend Saskatoon. Where else can you go golfing on 7 or 8 courses in less than 1/2 hr drive. Who the hell goes downtown anyway.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    I must respond to defend Saskatoon. Where else can you go golfing on 7 or 8 courses in less than 1/2 hr drive. Who the hell goes downtown anyway.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

You aren't serious right? You are just being sarcastic I hope because otherwise your point about Edmonton's downtown having no highrises and being a glorified Red Deer is pretty close to the all time worst comment I have heard on this site.
    You do know that this is 2011 not 1950 right?
    You do know that Edmonton is pushing 1 million people right?
    You do know that the overall work force is AGING and you need to attract young professionals to take the upcoming retiring baby boomers place, RIGHT??
    Edmonton has one of THE BEST universities in the country and people leave in droves every year because Edmonton has nothing to offer young grads in the way of lifestyle. How the hell are you going to attract all the young people that the City is going to need to replace all the pushing 60 yr olds when your downtown has NOTHING to offer. Where are all the new business going to come from? Why on earth would any big company come to rinky dink Edmonton when they can drive down the highway and actually be in a big City with a real downtown? News flash, big companies, don't start in SMALL TOWNS. Big companies don't have head offices in SMALL TOWNS. How do you not understand this?

I have a 25 yr old brother that finished his masters degree at the U of A in Physiotherapy and he couldn't get out of Edmonton fast enough and move to Calgary because he said Edmonton had nothing that made him want to stay. He is a die hard Edmonton fan like me.
    I have lived in Calgary and Edmonton and Edmonton as much as it pains me to say this, is WAY BEHIND Calgary. People like you and your narrow minded, "not in my back yard" holding progress back attitude scare the crap out of me. If you want to live in a small City with no highrises, move to Red Deer.