View Poll Results: Eskimos 2018 Grey Cup Champs or No playoffs but Rhodes fired?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Esks win Grey Cup 2018

25 75.76%
  • Esks out of playoffs but Rhodes fired in the offseason

8 24.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you prefer?

vCash

Re: Which would you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Isn’t Brock about as much of a “football guy” as Danny Maciocia (sp?)? Would he know any better?
    You realize that Hervey made the exact same decision with Maas in 2016, right?
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    You realize that Hervey made the exact same decision with Maas in 2016, right?
    From what I’ve heard, that was with the agreement that it would only be for his 1st year & after that he had to focus on developing his head coach skill set. But, hey, maybe I heard wrong....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    For those of you who have your lips still pressed against Ed Hervey's arse, here's a link for you to click on:

https://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/index.php

Seriously. Good lord. I found this link with a quick Google search.

Ed Hervey is gone. He's been gone for nearly 2 years. It's not the decision I would have made if I was the BOG or the President, but what's done is done. I started an Ed Hervey appreciation thread the second he was let go. He deserved it for all he's done as a player and executive. With that said, that era of Eskimos football is over. If you're unhappy with the Eskimos (as I am), criticize them. Voice your frustration. Because I am and I have been for the majority of the year. So much so that I've been referred to as negative over and over again. But with that said, I'm criticizing them specifically on football decisions that have been made, most at the hands of Jason Maas. I'm not criticizing them because I still long and fantasize for the days of Ed Hervey and I want to be the correct one who said "I told you so" years ago.

Jesus, you guys still stalk and hope your ex-girlfriends of the past are having ****ty lives and relationships?
    I can think of a gazillion places worse than that for my lips to be, but whatevs.

I see you & I’ll raise you a few...

Why go to Lionbackers when you go to every single Lions game, enjoy climate control & eat the best garlic fries ever....

Oh, and I don’t have any ex-girlfriends, but my ex-boyfriends get nothing but peace and love and positive vibes. No stalking even!

vCash

I can think of a gazillion places worse than that for my lips to be, but whatevs.

I see you & I’ll raise you a few...

Why go to Lionbackers when you go to every single Lions game, enjoy climate control & eat the best garlic fries ever....

Oh, and I don’t have any ex-girlfriends, but my ex-boyfriends get nothing but peace and love and positive vibes. No stalking even!
    Yup, my exes get positive vibes as well, that's what I'm meaning. Ed's not here anymore, let's move on and treat Brock like a new guy and evaluate him for him, not because he's not Ed Hervey. It ain't his fault.

vCash

I think that it's not reality to think you can win the Grey Cup every year but when you have a player of Reilly's caliber, you take advantage of those years he's around and do your damndest to have a contender for most of those years. If there are people in the organization who's jobs are to find players to support Reilly and become a contender, then they haven't been doing their jobs. In the real world, if you don't do your job to your potential ( just like the players ) you shouldn't expect a paycheque, or a job. Our problem seems to be that the Board isn't prepared to step up and make these changes so things are probably going to continue to spiral until we get a Board that will make some pertinent football decisions. Even with a crossover, I don't see the Eskies playing in the final game of the year.

vCash

From what I’ve heard, that was with the agreement that it would only be for his 1st year & after that he had to focus on developing his head coach skill set. But, hey, maybe I heard wrong....
    Ohhh okay,....so when Hervey lets a rookie head coach be head coach and OC at the same time for a year, that's okay. But when Brock lets the same head coach (whom is now in their 3rd year) be head coach and OC at the same time for a year, that is Maciocia level stupidity. I think I've got it now.

Face it, Hervey was not the shiny golden god of a GM, perfect in every way, that some are holding him up to be. He was a good GM that still had his failings, like any other good GM. What I don't understand is the need to hold Brock to this shiny golden god GM standard of the previous GM that never existed in reality. Why is it okay to forgive, forget, and justify Hervey's growing pains, but crucify Brock for those same growing pains? It all speaks to a strange, not so hidden agenda on the site. But it's not like Hervey is coming back, so I'm not sure what the end game is. Who do people want as their GM... Jim Barker??? I'm sure Kavis will be available soon, do we want him??? Brendan Taman??? Joe Mack??? I'd take Brock over those guys any day of the week.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Ohhh okay,....so when Hervey lets a rookie head coach be head coach and OC at the same time for a year, that's okay. But when Brock lets the same head coach (whom is now in their 3rd year) be head coach and OC at the same time for a year, that is Maciocia level stupidity. I think I've got it now.

Face it, Hervey was not the shiny golden god of a GM, perfect in every way, that some are holding him up to be. He was a good GM that still had his failings, like any other good GM. What I don't understand is the need to hold Brock to this shiny golden god GM standard of the previous GM that never existed in reality. Why is it okay to forgive, forget, and justify Hervey's growing pains, but crucify Brock for those same growing pains? It all speaks to a strange, not so hidden agenda on the site. But it's not like Hervey is coming back, so I'm not sure what the end game is. Who do people want as their GM... Jim Barker??? I'm sure Kavis will be available soon, do we want him??? Brendan Taman??? Joe Mack??? I'd take Brock over those guys any day of the week.
    I can’t give enough rep for this!

vCash

Exactly. I'm not giving Brock a free pass, I'm just giving him some time and a chance. So far I've liked a lot of the moves he's made but there are a few head scratchers (as with any GM)
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Exactly. I'm not giving Brock a free pass, I'm just giving him some time and a chance. So far I've liked a lot of the moves he's made but there are a few head scratchers (as with any GM)
    His roster is 7-8. Lost 3 in a row, 6 of their last 8 games and they are the host Grey Cup team this year. They need to go on a run and they need help from other teams just to make the playoffs. This isn't all Brock's fault, the coach staff clearly shoulders blame but how can anyone be remotely happy with a lot of the GM's moves?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    His roster is 7-8. Lost 3 in a row, 6 of their last 8 games and they are the host Grey Cup team this year. They need to go on a run and they need help from other teams just to make the playoffs. This isn't all Brock's fault, the coach staff clearly shoulders blame but how can anyone be remotely happy with a lot of the GM's moves?
    A lot of Brocks moves made sense on paper though, and realistically Iím not sure what he could have done differently. And this isnít me trying be a Brock homer, Iíd rather have Ed here as much as anyone, just trying to look at things objectively.

The problem is we have a team that looks good on paper but is missing something intangible, whether it be chemistry or swagger or whatever you want to call it, it just doesnít look like a group thatís playing for the guy next them the way weíve seen this team build their identity on in the past. Hearing that guys like Hazelton are essentially just playing lazy football out there with so much on the line is a sign that something is disjointed.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 10-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    If maas gets canned next month.... wonít Len be technically doing his job? Wonít that be classed as putting right a failing. ??
    I see a few folx really calling for Rhodes head but Iím not sure how u judge him and what is failing to work.. when he can fire several people and have clean slate..

What are the grounds for firing Rhodes is what I mean..outside of as boydo said him being a non football guy when, the board obv knew this when they hired him..

Itís more than making money but what does Rhodes do to get fired?
    I thought it was the GM job responsibility to hire and fire the head coach. If it's now Rhodes' job we are screwed as he knows absolutely nothing about football. He can't say the revenue is down because supposedly he has the club making as much profit as ever. It will be interesting to see what spin Lyin' Lenny puts on the season if we don't make the playoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    I thought it was the GM job responsibility to hire and fire the head coach. If it's now Rhodes' job we are screwed as he knows absolutely nothing about football. He can't say the revenue is down because supposedly he has the club making as much profit as ever. It will be interesting to see what spin Lyin' Lenny puts on the season if we don't make the playoffs.
    U could be right mate... I was thinking len would have to pressure brock who in turn would havevto decide on Jason..

But who knows..

I’m very much a. X and O guy....these off field debates I’m totally out of my depth

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    He will probably talk about the couple dozen of extra people that having Ludacris or Busta Rhymes maybe brought in. It will be their 1 and only game ever but hey, they came in. He will probably emphasis that the $2 hotdogs and $5 beers were well received. Who would have thought that people like getting what they see as good value for their money. I know, mind blowing!!!! Takes a marketing guy to figure that one out. But they will post very good profits again thanks to the Grey Cup and high ticket prices which is the most important thing after all. Remember, winning is not enough.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Actually our fate is still in our own hands but our differences in opinion are well documented so I'll drop it, you are right Brock is the Antichrist that is responsible for all things that are wrong with the Eskimos.

that being said I am NOT giving him a free pass as we aren't good enough right now, so everything needs to be looked at.

vCash

Actually our fate is still in our own hands but our differences in opinion are well documented so I'll drop it, you are right Brock is the Antichrist that is responsible for all things that are wrong with the Eskimos.

that being said I am NOT giving him a free pass as we aren't good enough right now, so everything needs to be looked at.
    Edmonton plays Ottawa, BC, Winnipeg. BC has a game in hand on the Esks. They are 6-1 at home and Edmonton is 2-6 on the road. The Lions have a very good defense and a very good Dline. The Esks have struggled offensively for the last 3 games. The last 2 games against real good defenses, they scored 3 and 12 points and gave up 9 sacks. They play in BC. Do I like Edmonton's chances winning on the road in BC with a motivated Lions team that have a "Do it for Wally" mantra and the GM who got fired by the Esks for no good reason and with an offense that is struggling and an Oline not protecting the QB overly well these day? No I don't.
    The Esks play Ottawa on Saturday. Ottawa beat the Esks the last time they played which was only 3 weeks ago and did it but driving the middle of the field at will. Now the Esks defense did do an OK job of not giving up TD's but allowed the RedBlacks to move the ball up and down the field. Harris had over 300 yards passing and they rushed for over 157 yards. The Esks scored 15 pts. the Redblacks had 2 TD's called back due to penalties. The Esks got thumped at home the last time and like I said the last 2 games offensively have put up 3 and 12 pts plus struggled to protect the QB giving up 9 sacks in 2 games. The RedBlacks came back on Winnipeg only to lose in OT so they will be pissed. They are in a dog fight for first so they will be motivated. This will be a very tough game for the Esks, I give it 50-50.

The Esks play the Bombers the last game of their regular season. The Bombers and more specifically Nichols ALWAYS plays the Esks tough and he would like nothing more to beat the Esks again on home turf.

So you are right, they have it in their hands. I think the Esks have to go 3-0 to make the playoffs. Anything less, I don't think they make it. I personally think the best they go is 2-1 and the one they lose is to BC which will kill them because BC I think at least will go 2-2. They will beat the Esks at home, then their last game will be against Calgary and Calgary will be on cruise control because they will have locked up first and will probably rest some starters in the last game.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.

vCash

Edmonton plays Ottawa, BC, Winnipeg. BC has a game in hand on the Esks. They are 6-1 at home and Edmonton is 2-6 on the road. The Lions have a very good defense and a very good Dline. The Esks have struggled offensively for the last 3 games. The last 2 games against real good defenses, they scored 3 and 12 points and gave up 9 sacks. They play in BC. Do I like Edmonton's chances winning on the road in BC with a motivated Lions team that have a "Do it for Wally" mantra and the GM who got fired by the Esks for no good reason and with an offense that is struggling and an Oline not protecting the QB overly well these day? No I don't.
    The Esks play Ottawa on Saturday. Ottawa beat the Esks the last time they played which was only 3 weeks ago and did it but driving the middle of the field at will. Now the Esks defense did do an OK job of not giving up TD's but allowed the RedBlacks to move the ball up and down the field. Harris had over 300 yards passing and they rushed for over 157 yards. The Esks scored 15 pts. the Redblacks had 2 TD's called back due to penalties. The Esks got thumped at home the last time and like I said the last 2 games offensively have put up 3 and 12 pts plus struggled to protect the QB giving up 9 sacks in 2 games. The RedBlacks came back on Winnipeg only to lose in OT so they will be pissed. They are in a dog fight for first so they will be motivated. This will be a very tough game for the Esks, I give it 50-50.

The Esks play the Bombers the last game of their regular season. The Bombers and more specifically Nichols ALWAYS plays the Esks tough and he would like nothing more to beat the Esks again on home turf.

So you are right, they have it in their hands. I think the Esks have to go 3-0 to make the playoffs. Anything less, I don't think they make it. I personally think the best they go is 2-1 and the one they lose is to BC which will kill them because BC I think at least will go 2-2. They will beat the Esks at home, then their last game will be against Calgary and Calgary will be on cruise control because they will have locked up first and will probably rest some starters in the last game.
    We both agree its going to be tough but our fate is still in our hands..... at least at this point but if we keep playing the way we are, it won't be for long.

vCash

Does anyone know when or if Derol Walker will return? I vaguely remember there was a chance he could return before the playoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoopie View Post
    Does anyone know when or if Derol Walker will return? I vaguely remember there was a chance he could return before the playoffs.
    Well let's hope it's before the playoffs as if we don't win at least 2 games ( Bc has to be 1 ) there won't be a play offs

vCash

I agree it's tough but not as complex as this.

If Edmonton wins that BC game, they'd own the tiebreaker and have a minimum of 8 wins. BC would then need a minimum of 9 wins meaning winning a minimum of 2 of their other 3. Those three games include 2 vs. the Stamps and 1 vs. the Rider, so winning two of those three games isn't a cake walk despite the fact Calgary may be resting guys as I doubt they'll want to lose 2 straight vs. the Lions going into the playoffs. If Edmonton wins one of the other two games then BC would need to run the table to get in.

Conversely, if they lose that BC game, BC'd own the tiebreaker with a minimum 8 wins, meaning Edmonton would need 9 wins (2 more) with only two other games available. BC would also clinch by just winning one of the other three games.

So that BC game is really their season. Depending on this week's outcomes, it may even be the clinching game one way or the other.

The scenario is similar with Winnipeg, but with that being the last game of the season much will be decided before that. If Edmonton doesn't win that BC game, it likely doesn't matter against Winnipeg anyways.
    Last edited by bone; 10-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I agree it's tough but not as complex as this.

If Edmonton wins that BC game, they'd own the tiebreaker and have a minimum of 8 wins. BC would then need a minimum of 9 wins meaning winning a minimum of 2 of their other 3. Those three games include 2 vs. the Stamps and 1 vs. the Rider, so winning two of those three games isn't a cake walk despite the fact Calgary may be resting guys as I doubt they'll want to lose 2 straight vs. the Lions going into the playoffs. If Edmonton wins one of the other two games then BC would need to run the table to get in.

Conversely, if they lose that BC game, BC'd own the tiebreaker with a minimum 8 wins, meaning Edmonton would need 9 wins (2 more) with only two other games available. BC would also clinch by just winning one of the other three games.

So that BC game is really their season. Depending on this week's outcomes, it may even be the clinching game one way or the other.

The scenario is similar with Winnipeg, but with that being the last game of the season much will be decided before that. If Edmonton doesn't win that BC game, it likely doesn't matter against Winnipeg anyways.
    I agree 100%. The BC game is key. My big concern is I think the deck is stacked against the Esks in that game. BC has been great at home while Edmonton has been lousy on the road. BC seems to be coming on and steadily improving over the season while the Esks have taken a nose dive. The Lions defense is actually pretty good. Their secondary is good and so is their Dline. This is Wally's last season regardless supposedly. So there is a win it for Wally mentality. If this game comes down to potentially being a death blow to the Esks playoff chances, O'Dell will be pumped and firing up his defense to want to stick it to the team that thought he was done. Same goes for Watson. I definitely think that Hervey will be in the locker room wanting to win this one. You got fired because you have a weasel of a boss and the board agreed with Rhodes. What better way to stick it to your old boss than to have your team knock them out of the playoffs in a year they host the Cup.

ON top of that, Calgary is banged up BIG TIME. They just lost another starting receiver Michel to a broken scapula plus I read that Rogers might not play either because he is in California waiting for a kid to be born. Not to mention supposedly every one of their starting DB's except the safety is dealing with an injury and it's not 100% if they will all play.

vCash

I agree 100%. The BC game is key. My big concern is I think the deck is stacked against the Esks in that game. BC has been great at home while Edmonton has been lousy on the road. BC seems to be coming on and steadily improving over the season while the Esks have taken a nose dive. The Lions defense is actually pretty good. Their secondary is good and so is their Dline. This is Wally's last season regardless supposedly. So there is a win it for Wally mentality. If this game comes down to potentially being a death blow to the Esks playoff chances, O'Dell will be pumped and firing up his defense to want to stick it to the team that thought he was done. Same goes for Watson. I definitely think that Hervey will be in the locker room wanting to win this one. You got fired because you have a weasel of a boss and the board agreed with Rhodes. What better way to stick it to your old boss than to have your team knock them out of the playoffs in a year they host the Cup.

ON top of that, Calgary is banged up BIG TIME. They just lost another starting receiver Michel to a broken scapula plus I read that Rogers might not play either because he is in California waiting for a kid to be born. Not to mention supposedly every one of their starting DB's except the safety is dealing with an injury and it's not 100% if they will all play.
    Yeah, in many ways it's like the perfect script for a movie if Ed/Odell are the good guys. With the capper being that a playoff run also would have them take over our dressing room.

As an esks fan it makes me sick that this scenario exists, but I have to admit if I was fan of another team I'd probably be rooting for this to happen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yeah, in many ways it's like the perfect script for a movie if Ed/Odell are the good guys. With the capper being that a playoff run also would have them take over our dressing room.

As an esks fan it makes me sick that this scenario exists, but I have to admit if I was fan of another team I'd probably be rooting for this to happen.
    Me too. I wasn't confident this was a championship team but I never thought they could potentially miss the playoffs. I am going to the game on Saturday and I flat out don't expect them to win. As an Esks fan I really hope I am wrong but when I went to the Winnipeg game, I fully expected it to be a tough game but I was expecting a win. They got destroyed.

vCash

Me too. I wasn't confident this was a championship team but I never thought they could potentially miss the playoffs. I am going to the game on Saturday and I flat out don't expect them to win. As an Esks fan I really hope I am wrong but when I went to the Winnipeg game, I fully expected it to be a tough game but I was expecting a win. They got destroyed.
    I'm missing this one on Saturday wifey isn't up to it just got some bad news about her mom went and donated the tickets to kids up front hopefully they bring the esks some luck.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Hope you're still coming to the game next week in Vancouver, tigerdar...buying my tix right now!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If we end up missing the playoffs, there will plenty of shade to go around, including Brock. Much Like Ed's final year here where we went 10-8 and were the cross over team, you need to look at why that happened. For me it starts and ends with the common denominator from the last 3 seasons and through 2 GM's and that is the coaching staff. While I believe Maas can be a good coach, I'm not convinced he can do both roles effectively and Bene has been a disaster for 3 years now, time to move on.
    Late to the party...but let's not forget that Ed Hervey's first year with the Esks was the 4-14 disaster. Pretty much 90% of that year was all on the coaching staff.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I fully expect the Eskimos to beat Ottawa.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Hope you're still coming to the game next week in Vancouver, tigerdar...buying my tix right now!
    yeah we're staying at the Sandman near BC place I think they have a lounge, let me know if you want to meet for a drink before the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Late to the party...but let's not forget that Ed Hervey's first year with the Esks was the 4-14 disaster. Pretty much 90% of that year was all on the coaching staff.
    Yeah not enough consequences that year
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I'm missing this one on Saturday wifey isn't up to it just got some bad news about her mom went and donated the tickets to kids up front hopefully they bring the esks some luck.
    Good idea. My wife’s out of town as well. I may do the same.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    yeah we're staying at the Sandman near BC place I think they have a lounge, let me know if you want to meet for a drink before the game.
    I'll see...gotta get off work early and drive down from Squamish, but I'll do my best. Will be taking my 15-yr-old son and his friend. Can they get into the lounge?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'll see...gotta get off work early and drive down from Squamish, but I'll do my best. Will be taking my 15-yr-old son and his friend. Can they get into the lounge?
    No clue. If there's a place in the concourse at BC place you want to meet to say hi that might be better then eh? Keep in mind this is my first trip to BC Place, actually my first trip to BC I've lived in Edmonton since 2008 never been to BC....want to know what's weirder? I've never been to Calgary except for driving through it once. Anyway now that you have a history of Darren's travels just let me know what works for you cause I'm betting the 15 year old and his friend would rather be inside the stadium checking out the cheerleaders then visiting with a bunch of old people. =)
    In Rod we trust