Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Now remove sheetz!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Interesting hire. I took a look at his Twitter, and it looks like he does a ton of stuff with charities, schools, and the local community.

His voice doesn't sound quite as commanding as Stafford's did, but I'll wait till I hear him in an actual game instead of going off a few lines of dialogue.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Almost sounds like he's calling darts.

vCash

With Woods, it's disappointing. I'm no expert in evaluating footwork for offensive linemen, but it was fairly apparent to me last TC that he was not where I had expected him to be given the high draft standing and a year of development at that point. I had hoped that he'd continue to progress, but like cmbuk says, this is also indicative that others have passed him on the depth chart, similar to what some are hoping happens at WR.

Looking back over the draft from previous years, it remains a crap-shoot. When you can pick up a guy that was drafted 10th overall, you've got some expectations invested, but it's still a gamble to think that they'll develop into a starter... and an absolute rarity that they are a contributor within the first few seasons. Sad to see the end of the Woods experiment, but looking forward to seeing if Saxelid is worthy of hope.

vCash

Def read on here but canít recall who said that we should or might release konar.. well they were spot on!

Understand the why on it, total cap move.. but come on esks donít thank him on social media after.. sure heís not that happy with you as it is

Seen to many teams thank players after they cut em..

Donít cut em 2-3 days before camp! Show em some respect..

Sure he will end up somewhere..

With our pick up at lb this off season.. was always gonna be tough for konar ( and his injuryís )!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Def read on here but can’t recall who said that we should or might release konar.. well they were spot on!

Understand the why on it, total cap move.. but come on esks don’t thank him on social media after.. sure he’s not that happy with you as it is

Don’t cut em 2-3 days before camp! Show em some respect..

With our pick up at lb this off season.. was always gonna be tough for konar ( and his injury’s )!
    A big thanks shoutout on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Def read on here but can’t recall who said that we should or might release konar.. well they were spot on!

Understand the why on it, total cap move.. but come on esks don’t thank him on social media after.. sure he’s not that happy with you as it is

Don’t cut em 2-3 days before camp! Show em some respect..

With our pick up at lb this off season.. was always gonna be tough for konar ( and his injury’s )!
    Total cap move or given his injury history (which goes right back to high school) is it possible he failed his medical?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Total cap move or given his injury history (which goes right back to high school) is it possible he failed his medical?
    3DN reported that he was asked to take a pay cut and refused...

Sounds like it could potentially be similar to the Sol E situation that we've been talking about in another thread (on a lesser scale, though).
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    3DN reported that he was asked to take a pay cut and refused...

Sounds like it could potentially be similar to the Sol E situation that we've been talking about in another thread (on a lesser scale, though).
    Much much less scale konar hadn’t even established himself as a reliable starter.. comparable yes.. but not the same

vCash
    Blog Entries

For those who were at the game, how did he sound?

vCash

Struggled - a lot.

Mispronounced names. Got some calls wrong. At least one occasion where he credited a Lion reception to an Edmonton receiver. Imo, came off as quite unprepared.

Am willing to cut some slack, as it is pre-season, but there is a lot of improvement needed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Struggled - a lot.

Mispronounced names. Got some calls wrong. At least one occasion where he credited a Lion reception to an Edmonton receiver. Imo, came off as quite unprepared.

Am willing to cut some slack, as it is pre-season, but there is a lot of improvement needed.
    Hopefully they made him aware of his mistakes and he is aware of them too. If it continues, that'll just be embarrassing.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Agree with the difficulties of a bloated pre-season roster. I also suspect that the combination of first-time nerves and having to replace a CW mainstay like Al Stafford wouldn't make things any easier.

Additionally, just having to perform in a stadium environment is difficult enough on its own. I auditioned to be the Oilers' organist a couple of summers ago, and even with an empty seating bowl, the sheer "hugeness" of the process - plus having a whole bunch of rapid-fire instructions blasted into my headset - was overwhelming. None of my hours of practice could ever have prepared me for the mind-numbing craziness of the actual moment.

Hopefully this was just a one-off case of rookie jitters, and Mike will know what he needs to do for next time.

vCash

Struggled - a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Hopefully they made him aware of his mistakes and he is aware of them too. If it continues, that'll just be embarrassing.
    Things that will likely only come with experience:

-emotion and cadence - as soon as he picked up his mic it sounded like he was nervous
    -touchdown call - didn't really have one
    -win call - "and that's the ball game" doesn't cut it
    -making something out of odd plays such as when Almondo Sewell made a clean catch of an overthrow while on the bench

Things that I can forgive for pre-season, but absolutely have to improve:
    -working with a spotter / getting plays/names right; GWN put it well but that wasn't the half of it
    -calling down and distance (though game ops didn't help - no down and distance listed on north end board)

Good things:
    -he sounds really similar to Stafford; the casual fan probably wouldn't notice a ton of difference in the voice
    -I think he has potential. Based on nothing but a gut feeling, I was actually expecting worse.

I hope they give him the raw game tape (and the @WPG game tape) and have him practice before the opener. I think he'll get better as he recognizes players and formations and that sort of thing. And it seemed like Scheetz took care of a few extra things yesterday too - whether they keep that for regular season, I don't know.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    -calling down and distance (though game ops didn't help - no down and distance listed on north end board)
    Are you serious???

Can't blame Rhodes for that anymore...

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

cleanup isle 7
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

At least they still have Bryan Hall doing the fight song... barf
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Are you serious???

Can't blame Rhodes for that anymore...
    Yeah that was a real pain had to remember to keep checking the south end scoreboard.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    they'll have him doing it "weekend at Bernies" style, long after we are all gone.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Not to pick on a guy on his first day on the job, but my favorite misstep was when he announced "Trevor Harris with a 4 yard completion to Forrest Hightower". Now, I had my kids with me yesterday so I wasn't paying as close attention to the game as I typically would, but somehow I doubt that Forrest Hightower was taking reps at receiver.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Don't forget DJ Narcolepsy!
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Don't forget DJ Narcolepsy!
    What? Did they replace DJ Jello? Did he jiggle his way to club scene?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Struggled - a lot.

On at least 4 occasions, he got the down wrong. It was actually 3rd down but he announced that it was 2nd down! Perhaps he didn’t get a lot of help from his spotter?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    What? Did they replace DJ Jello? Did he jiggle his way to club scene?
    oh no, same pathetic soundtrack

- - - Updated - - -

Struggled - a lot.

I don't see much improvement coming. When it comes to being on a live mic, you either have it or you don't. He don't
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    oh no, same pathetic soundtrack

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see much improvement coming. When it comes to being on a live mic, you either have it or you don't. He don't
    dude there's always room for jello ok? =P

Yeah he sucks go to a Vegas Knights hockey game sometime and you'll see how much he REALLY sucks.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Thought the announcer was okay. Lots to work on. Some emotion and excitement would be good. But think he's got a good voice for the job.

Agreed on the down and yardage on the North Scoreboard. Kept looking there to see what it was. Hopefully that was only a preseason thing.

Thought the music was a bit more focused on rock and less pop. But again, we'll see what the regular season holds.

Wifi still sucks. They are presenting interactive smartphone games (BP Pizza shuffle & others) but I can't get any reception in the lower bowl so it's frustrating.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    dude there's always room for jello ok? =P

Yeah he sucks go to a Vegas Knights hockey game sometime and you'll see how much he REALLY sucks.
    I've been to stadiums all over the globe. You don't have to tell me...
    - Dan Kepley