Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 86

Thread: 2018 Offseason

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    283
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Redskins cut Ladler.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,879
    vCash
    255
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Redskins cut Ladler.
    Sic em!!!!
    You have a problem because the last guy that punched me has a dent in his forehead the size of my pinky ring, and he dribbles when he smiles. - Dutch Dooley

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,843
    vCash
    6250
    Rep Power
    405

    Re: 2018 Offseason







    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,915
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    236

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post






    Nice arm, plus Reilly size. Looks like he had a good Oline in front of him. If he comes north maybe he can bring a couple of them with him. His running stats suggest he's no Mike Reilly.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,413
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Nice arm, plus Reilly size. Looks like he had a good Oline in front of him. If he comes north maybe he can bring a couple of them with him. His running stats suggest he's no Mike Reilly.
    Air raid qb.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,843
    vCash
    6250
    Rep Power
    405

    Re: 2018 Offseason


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,413
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Great interview!

    Very happy Jason is returning !

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,300
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    He better coach better and get better results and surround himself with better fellow coaches.

    Shuffling a coach or two around for me is not going to be anywhere near good enough to have some faith in this team considering how they performed a lot of this year in all phases. And no a whoppity doo 500 season is no great shakes in this league when you thuded the 2nd half of the season.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sunrise Beach AB
    Posts
    797
    vCash
    1900
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Very glad Maas is back hope he gets it together next year.
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

  10. #40

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Happy to see that cooler heads prevailed and the right decision was made. Too often in this business young coaches aren't afforded the opportunity to grow because teams and fans have this constant notion that the grass is greener on the other side when in fact there are a lot more positives than negatives when it comes to what Jason brings to this organization, and I believe he's only going to continue to get better.

    In terms of changes to the coaching staff, I was thinking the other day that Jason Shivers might be a guy we could realistically look at as DC. Shivers has been apprenticing under Chris Jones for years now and it is being speculated that he may be ready to make the leap to DC. He and Maas coached together back in Toronto so they should be familiar with each other and you would have to assume that Shivers would bring that aggressive style of D that we've been missing since Jones left. I'd love to see him get a shot at DC here next year.

  11. #41

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Also, after listening to Jed talk on the empire podcast last week, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd be interested in the STC job, seems to me like he would check all the boxes for that role.

    Ricky to replace Jordan after he bumps up to OC is another move I'm anticipating. The tough part though is gonna be figuring out which coaches go and aren't replaced as I believe we're two coaches above the legal limit for next year.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    I love the fire in JM but not really sold on him coming back he must replace almost all of his coaching staff starting with Bene ,our defence has been brutal since jones left to sliderville . I donít think Maas is officially coming back for sure until the Esks announce it , I will admit Iím disappointed in this news especially if Reilly didnít see eye to eye with him , and could cost us Reilly

  13. #43

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I love the fire in JM but not really sold on him coming back he must replace almost all of his coaching staff starting with Bene ,our defence has been brutal since jones left to sliderville . I don’t think Maas is officially coming back for sure until the Esks announce it , I will admit I’m disappointed in this news especially if Reilly didn’t see eye to eye with him , and could cost us Reilly
    That is a complete myth fabricated by rider fans.

    - - - Updated - - -

    In addition to Shivers, another name I'd throw out there for DC is Phillip Lolly. Phill's a veteran guy who knows the league and knows the Esks and was close to joining our coaching staff last winter I believe.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    6,545
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    200

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Also, after listening to Jed talk on the empire podcast last week, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd be interested in the STC job, seems to me like he would check all the boxes for that role.

    Ricky to replace Jordan after he bumps up to OC is another move I'm anticipating. The tough part though is gonna be figuring out which coaches go and aren't replaced as I believe we're two coaches above the legal limit for next year.
    good call on shivers, interesting for sure.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,413
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Happy to see that cooler heads prevailed and the right decision was made. Too often in this business young coaches aren't afforded the opportunity to grow because teams and fans have this constant notion that the grass is greener on the other side when in fact there are a lot more positives than negatives when it comes to what Jason brings to this organization, and I believe he's only going to continue to get better.

    In terms of changes to the coaching staff, I was thinking the other day that Jason Shivers might be a guy we could realistically look at as DC. Shivers has been apprenticing under Chris Jones for years now and it is being speculated that he may be ready to make the leap to DC. He and Maas coached together back in Toronto so they should be familiar with each other and you would have to assume that Shivers would bring that aggressive style of D that we've been missing since Jones left. I'd love to see him get a shot at DC here next year.
    Absolutely.. fantasic shout on shivers...

    The guy knows jones system... I’m not sure if he’s ready but he’s been with jones for a good few years now.. was lucky enough to view some of the coaching clinic the eskimos staff put on for the local coaches when he was in Edmonton thanks to pete ( still wish I had those files! ) and shiv was very forefront in jones talk.. hense the party party party.. phrase we had going for a while!

    Great shout Ben.. great shout

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,338
    vCash
    125
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    As I brought up on the Pod this week, I think Barron Miles may get a look at bumping up to DC if we move on from Bene.

    Certainly lots of good positional coaches out there. Lolley would be interesting with his experience no question.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,413
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    That is a complete myth fabricated by rider fans.

    - - - Updated - - -

    In addition to Shivers, another name I'd throw out there for DC is Phillip Lolly. Phill's a veteran guy who knows the league and knows the Esks and was close to joining our coaching staff last winter I believe.
    Lolley is imho a guy who would work well in a role with the opportunity to assist I’m not sure he would be my clice as dc but def a worthy candidate for lbs..

    Also not the first person to mention lolley to me.. so that is interesting....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    As I brought up on the Pod this week, I think Barron Miles may get a look at bumping up to DC if we move on from Bene.

    Certainly lots of good positional coaches out there. Lolley would be interesting with his experience no question.

    Barrons gonna run the same scheme as bene though.. I am all for bringing young guys through.. we ( imho ) need a change of philosophy at the dc position..

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    358
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    That is a complete myth fabricated by rider fans.
    I'm really hopeful that's the truth. Some of the body language and things not said in interviews earlier in the year made me wonder. I know there have been times - and not just on the infamous field goal calls - when I'm sure he didn't agree with the ball being taken from his hands.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,338
    vCash
    125
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Barrons gonna run the same scheme as bene though.. I am all for bringing young guys through.. we ( imho ) need a change of philosophy at the dc position..
    Maybe, maybe not. I know that Miles has spent a lot of time under Bene in BC and then Edmonton, but certainly he can take what he likes and discard what he doesn't when developing his own schemes?
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,915
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    236

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    As I brought up on the Pod this week, I think Barron Miles may get a look at bumping up to DC if we move on from Bene.

    Certainly lots of good positional coaches out there. Lolley would be interesting with his experience no question.
    BTW, that was a super podcast. The trades that got us a Cup in '93 shook the old memory tree with the all those names flying around.

    Nice to see Jason keeping the HC spot. Tough to replace that enthusiasm and his love for the city and the team. Certainly a tough year for him but he has so much upside.
    My only concern is his loyalty to his staff and possibly believing that things just did not go the Eskimo way this season. The Bomber fans were calling for Richie Hall's head in August and Sept. but once he started bringing the heat on opposing QB's their D vastly improved. Totally different style that Hall showed, but I don't know if Bene would change his own D approach. Plus iirc Bene has a family tie to Edm. Cutting ties with Bene could be difficult call for Maas.

    Some good names have been suggested. Lolley chose not to return to Hamilton this year even though they offered him a spot. Demetrious Maxie might be a thought as DC also. His Dline this year was about the only bright spot on the D side for us, plus he also has coached our LB's.

    I'd also like to see us add Himebauch on the Oline. Still saw too much confusion from the Oline this year picking up blitzs. Would rather see a zone pass block system like Calgary where you take the guy in front of you and get rid of the ball quicker.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,413
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I know that Miles has spent a lot of time under Bene in BC and then Edmonton, but certainly he can take what he likes and discard what he doesn't when developing his own schemes?
    No question buddy... miles can certainly put his own spin on what he runs but the crux of his system will undoubtably be what he learned under bene..

    For example, I learned offence in an air raid system.... I spent 3 years with the same hc learning what he did and why he did it.. now 6 years removed from those early days my offence has evolved a ton.. and we do much more than just 2x2 air raid pass pass pass offence.
    But if you scrape away the window dressing and what not the skeleton on what I run is stil air raid.
    And imho this will be the same for Barron .

    And I’m really big on coach development.. but after 3 years in benes system.. I’d like a different way we approach defence and be more attacking and aggressive rather than passive and counter acting..
    but that is just my opinion .. obv

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    2,854
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Well..

    The Eskimos released an update stating Jason Maas will return but the following coaches would not:

    - Offensive Quality Controller Kelly Bates
    - ST Coordinator Dave Jackson
    - WR Coach DJ McCarthy
    - Defensive Quality Controller Rob Payne

    No mention of Mike Benevides...

    If Mike Benevides is here, I wish Jason Maas would have been fired. Seriously.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Air raid qb.
    Jeremiah Briscoe is an American football quarterback who is currently a member of the Edmonton Eskimos. He played college football at Sam Houston State. Wikipedia
    Sounds like he is already signed

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Well..

    The Eskimos released an update stating Jason Maas will return but the following coaches would not:

    - Offensive Quality Controller Kelly Bates
    - ST Coordinator Dave Jackson
    - WR Coach DJ McCarthy
    - Defensive Quality Controller Rob Payne

    No mention of Mike Benevides...

    If Mike Benevides is here, I wish Jason Maas would have been fired. Seriously.
    I agree 200% that if Bene returns I will be so pissed off

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,080
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    I’m not sold on bringing Maas back but I see the arguments for it and it’s not necessarily a make or break thing for me, especially if it helps get Reilly back.

    But there isn’t an argument in the world that I would buy for keeping Benevides.

    I’m already pissed about missing the playoffs in a Grey Cup year, bringing back Benevides would take that to a whole other level.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,879
    vCash
    255
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Well..

    The Eskimos released an update stating Jason Maas will return but the following coaches would not:

    - Offensive Quality Controller Kelly Bates
    - ST Coordinator Dave Jackson
    - WR Coach DJ McCarthy
    - Defensive Quality Controller Rob Payne

    No mention of Mike Benevides...

    If Mike Benevides is here, I wish Jason Maas would have been fired. Seriously.
    I'm available for the WR Coaching position... Hope they still have my resume!
    You have a problem because the last guy that punched me has a dent in his forehead the size of my pinky ring, and he dribbles when he smiles. - Dutch Dooley

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    2,854
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    With the official news of Maas being back, Arash Mardani or whatever the hell his name is has some explaining to do. I hope people start holding these guys accountable for the BS they spew.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,737
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I'm available for the WR Coaching position... Hope they still have my resume!
    Probably. Takes a while for latex to deteriorate.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,737
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    With the official news of Maas being back, Arash Mardani or whatever the hell his name is has some explaining to do. I hope people start holding these guys accountable for the BS they spew.
    He's not the only one.

    http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showth...500#post855500

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,210
    vCash
    815
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I still stand by all of them, thanks
    1. Maas is on a short leash. We’ll see how things shake out in the new season.
    As for 2 and 3, I see no lies there.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,737
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I still stand by all of them, thanks
    1. Maas is on a short leash. We’ll see how things shake out in the new season.
    As for 2 and 3, I see no lies there.
    1. Maas was not fired.
    2. TJ didn't misdirect. It turned out he was right.
    3. TBD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •