Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Serious 2018 Offseason

This has got to be one of the most important offseasons in a long while for the Esks.

I feel sick to my stomach to what could actually happen.

Duke, Walker, Reilly, Maas all gone. While Bene and Rhodent remain.

I fear there is no one above Rhodent to realize he is the reason all this went to ****. We know the media isn't going to call him out.

We could have had Hervey, Maas, Reilly leading us into the playoffs for many seasons to come. IMO saying winning isn't enough/everything should been the final nail in the coffin. But because the BoD have no balls, we will see Rhodent here while others won't be.

I'm going to feel sick all off season.

What SHOULD happen:
    Rhodent fired. Winning is everything no one gives a **** about has been hiphop acts for 8 mins.. we want to see wins and cups you dumbass.
    Mass remains as HC only.
    New OC
    New DC
    New Special Teams Coach
    Reilly re upped
    and please can we look at other teams other than ottawa Brock? Please?

PLEASE PLEASE be a good offseason for the Esks

- - - Updated - - -

Let the games begin.

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    This has got to be one of the most important offseasons in a long while for the Esks.

I feel sick to my stomach to what could actually happen.

Duke, Walker, Reilly, Maas all gone. While Bene and Rhodent remain.

I fear there is no one above Rhodent to realize he is the reason all this went to ****. We know the media isn't going to call him out.

We could have had Hervey, Maas, Reilly leading us into the playoffs for many seasons to come. IMO saying winning isn't enough/everything should been the final nail in the coffin. But because the BoD have no balls, we will see Rhodent here while others won't be.

I'm going to feel sick all off season.

What SHOULD happen:
    Rhodent fired. Winning is everything no one gives a **** about has been hiphop acts for 8 mins.. we want to see wins and cups you dumbass.
    Mass remains as HC only.
    New OC
    New DC
    New Special Teams Coach
    Reilly re upped
    and please can we look at other teams other than ottawa Brock? Please?

PLEASE PLEASE be a good offseason for the Esks

- - - Updated - - -

Let the games begin.
    Re-sign Mitchell he's going to be a great receiver for years he's shown that the last 8 games if we let him walk especially to a divisional opponent we're going to regret it for years and years
    In Rod we trust

vCash

My hopes are similar to yours. Unfortunately, I feel like the exact opposite will happen pretty much.

If Rhodes is here and Reilly is gone, I'm out as an Eskimos fan. There's no way the Eskimos organization will be able to explain that, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    My hopes are similar to yours. Unfortunately, I feel like the exact opposite will happen pretty much.

If Rhodes is here and Reilly is gone, I'm out as an Eskimos fan. There's no way the Eskimos organization will be able to explain that, in my opinion.
    Same here, I'm an eternal optimist, but this club has just about worn me out. I have absolutely no faith that the right moves are going to be made this winter.

Bracing myself for the loss of Maas and Reilly, along with everything else that Ed had rebuilt here.

vCash

It’s going to take more than just some long-time ST holders to convince the BOD to turf the Rhodent.
    The local media is going to have to get off the schneid and start calling him out at every turn. Even most of them have to see what a mess he’s made of things here since 2015. But it seems that at present he has them in his back pocket.

vCash

Well... access... right...?
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Interesting comments from Gable about next season. He was talking about how Mike stole all of his touchdowns and he said,

"I got to get him back next year.. if he's here.... He'll be here."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Interesting comments from Gable about next season. He was talking about how Mike stole all of his touchdowns and he said,

"I got to get him back next year.. if he's here.... He'll be here."
    Yes I saw this...

Hope he’s right... gable is under contract... u can imagine guys like derel etc will be waiting to see where mike goes before they commit..

vCash

I think that the Esks first priority needs to be resigning Reilly. There is no depth at QB behind him, so if he walks then the Esks look like Montreal does now.

After that
    I like Jason Maas, always have as player and as a coach. I hope he stays, but they need to bring in an OC to help him out. Remember the Esks lost their OC late in the Off Season, so that is why Maas had to take over again. If they do fire him, I would hope that they would bring in Trestman to the new head coach. I think Reilly would stay with Trestman at the helm. That being said Claybrocks (I think that is his name, the DC in Calgary) should be number 2 on the list.

I so think that Rhodes needs to look in the Mirror as to what happened in Edmonton, as well as certain members of the media. They wanted Hervey out and now they see what happened. Winning is everything, it is the only thing.

The Esks need to improve the Defense, now whether that is a new DC (that is what I think they should do) or bring in a whole bunch of new personal, I am not sure. You can only bend but not break for so long.

I think Duke is gone at least for the short term next year to the NFL. He is big and fast so I would think that he would be signed fairly quickly by an NFL team in their off season. The Esks do need to get more possession type receivers though. I said it earlier in the year, the Esks relied way to much on the long ball in their offense. The Defense would play deeper to take that away, and then the Esks were in trouble. They need that guy, say like a Tasker in Hamilton, that can get them 11 yards on a 2nd and 10 to move the sticks.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    I think that the Esks first priority needs to be resigning Reilly. There is no depth at QB behind him, so if he walks then the Esks look like Montreal does now.

After that
    I like Jason Maas, always have as player and as a coach. I hope he stays, but they need to bring in an OC to help him out. Remember the Esks lost their OC late in the Off Season, so that is why Maas had to take over again. If they do fire him, I would hope that they would bring in Trestman to the new head coach. I think Reilly would stay with Trestman at the helm. That being said Claybrocks (I think that is his name, the DC in Calgary) should be number 2 on the list.

I so think that Rhodes needs to look in the Mirror as to what happened in Edmonton, as well as certain members of the media. They wanted Hervey out and now they see what happened. Winning is everything, it is the only thing.

The Esks need to improve the Defense, now whether that is a new DC (that is what I think they should do) or bring in a whole bunch of new personal, I am not sure. You can only bend but not break for so long.

I think Duke is gone at least for the short term next year to the NFL. He is big and fast so I would think that he would be signed fairly quickly by an NFL team in their off season. The Esks do need to get more possession type receivers though. I said it earlier in the year, the Esks relied way to much on the long ball in their offense. The Defense would play deeper to take that away, and then the Esks were in trouble. They need that guy, say like a Tasker in Hamilton, that can get them 11 yards on a 2nd and 10 to move the sticks.
    It’s not so much as we need possession type receivers but rather a shift in offensive philosophy that embodies those type of receptions in addition to the long bombs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    It’s going to take more than just some long-time ST holders to convince the BOD to turf the Rhodent.
    The local media is going to have to get off the schneid and start calling him out at every turn. Even most of them have to see what a mess he’s made of things here since 2015. But it seems that at present he has them in his back pocket.
    see the media should have zero effect on that. I cant figure out why the Esks lets the media have so much say in ****. They don't pay for seats.. They haven't had seasons seats for 40 plus seasons. Those are the fans the BoD needs to listen to. Not tubbs or majong.

vCash

They should have realized he is not the answer when he said winning isn't everything. That should have opened their eyes to realize Rhodes isn't the guy for the Esks or any pro sports team.

When they asked fans what they want to change with those questionnaires.. a lot of us said the game day experience... which imo is why Rhodes was hired...I'd bet not a lot of fans said they want a winning team. Though in my case I thought a winning team was already implied and the entertainment value was secondary... If I would have known they'd destroy the football ops side for meaningless advertising I would have answered differently.

It’s not so much as we need possession type receivers but rather a shift in offensive philosophy that embodies those type of receptions in addition to the long bombs.
    Derel Walker was our possession receiver and his role in the offence was clearly extremely underrated.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post

After that

That is what Walker was for us when he was healthy. He was our only reliable YAC receiver. It all starts with the line though. We can’t go short because teams know we don’t have enough time to burn them deep so they can play shallow in coverage. When we do get enough time, we HAVE to go deep to try to keep them honest or make them pay. Our offensive line was th most disappointing part of this season for me. That losing stretch happened in a large part because of their awful play.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

Also, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious... How good of a scout is Paul Jones really? The Mastons, and Hunters, and Edwards' we're bringing in now remind me a lot of the recruiting we were seeing here in the Maciocia days.

It could be just a case of he can't do it all by himself and maybe he's not getting much help from anyone else in the org.

Just thinking out loud, obviously Paul has done a lot for this club over the years so I could be way off base.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    That is what Walker was for us when he was healthy. He was our only reliable YAC receiver. It all starts with the line though. We can’t go short because teams know we don’t have enough time to burn them deep so they can play shallow in coverage. When we do get enough time, we HAVE to go deep to try to keep them honest or make them pay. Our offensive line was th most disappointing part of this season for me. That losing stretch happened in a large part because of their awful play.
    I may be wrong but I think Mitchell lead the team in YAC? But you're right that Walker was absolutely our most reliable second and medium guy, always got open, and as sure handed as they come. I also think you're right that teams figured out that if they took away the short stuff, Mike would be forced to look downfield every play, and the protection just wasn't there. The OL was a HUGE disappointment, especially coming off a season where they lead the league in sacks against.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Also, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious... How good of a scout is Paul Jones really? The Mastons, and Hunters, and Edwards' we're bringing in now remind me a lot of the recruiting we were seeing here in the Maciocia days.

It could be just a case of he can't do it all by himself and maybe he's not getting much help from anyone else in the org.

Just thinking out loud, obviously Paul has done a lot for this club over the years so I could be way off base.
    I don't know what to think of those players....crappy players or crappy schemes from Bene for the players we had. Never looked like we went and got players who fit with bene's vision.

What if we had to find cheaper alternatives because as rumor goes - Rhodent was leeching money away from the football ops side for his stuff...

I don't know what to think of those players....crappy players or crappy schemes from Bene for the players we had. Never looked like we went and got players who fit with bene's vision.

What if we had to find cheaper alternatives because as rumor goes - Rhodent was leeching money away from the football ops side for his stuff...
    I agree with that, Bennys zone in theory should lead to picks, but in reality teams knew exactly where the holes were and just exploited them game in and game out, making the secondary look worse than it really was IMO.

Brock's gotta step up and prove his worth in the recruiting department this off-season. If he doesn't find a way to get this thing back on the rails it'll only be a matter of time before a fire Sunderland poll pops up here lol. Problem with that though, if he does ultimately prove to be a dud, who's out there to replace him? It's not like we have an Ed Hervey waiting in the wings to save this club again. Maybe Geroy Simon? Wouldn't that be funny, Geroy leading the Esks and Ed leaning the Lions.

Main thing though like you said, dump Rhodent, get Wad in here, let him assess the situation.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    You are correct that Walker was that guy, but even then he was not used as often as he could have been. The Yardage may not bare that statement out, but just watching the games it looked like deep first then short. The short passes also help the line more as they are quick releases, so the line does not need to block as long as they would for a deep ball. Even if you are only getting 5 yards on them, that opens up the play book for 2nd down. Now if you are throwing 5 yard passes on 2nd and 10 that is a whole other issue.
    I would also like to see them run the ball more. There were a few games were Gable would get 50 or 60 yards in first half and then end up with 60 or 70 yards at the end of the game and the Esks would lose. Just like short passing game opening up the deep pass, a run opens up the whole passing game as the LBs have to respect the play action. If you do not run the ball the play action does not work as they are playing you to pass any way.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

See #4 from the @arasholemadani twitter thread from yesterday.
    That thread contains a whole lotta truth. Super curious who is behind it. People aren’t taking it seriously because it’s a parody account, but I see no lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    See #4 from the @arasholemadani twitter thread from yesterday.
    That thread contains a whole lotta truth. Super curious who is behind it. People aren’t taking it seriously because it’s a parody account, but I see no lies.
    That’s the weird thing....

Rhodent is feeling the heat right now though, I know that for a fact.

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-04-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

With the Eskimos not making the playoffs, quarterback Mike Reilly's future has come into the spotlight but he says it's too early to make a decision right now and he will take his time
    . He adds that 'winning championships' will factor into where he'll play next year.

SEE Rhodent... WINNING IS EVERYTHING.... How the hell you are still employed today is baffling.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s the weird thing....

Rhodent is feeling the heat right now though, I know that for a fact.

does he though? He surely didnt look worried smiling and laughing when shown on TSN

vCash

does he though? He surely didnt look worried smiling and laughing when shown on TSN
    In public, he's not going to show worry. He has to put a good face on it.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

All very encouraging.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-04-2018 at 08:50 PM.

vCash