Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Jeremiah Briscoe is an American football quarterback who is currently a member of the Edmonton Eskimos. He played college football at Sam Houston State. Wikipedia
    Sounds like he is already signed

- - - Updated - - -

I agree 200% that if Bene returns I will be so pissed off
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremi...3-c9bcbe0b3a47

To win the 2016 Walter Payton Award as the Football Championship Subdivision's most outstanding offensive player, Briscoe had to beat out Eastern Washington receiver Cooper Kupp, a third-round pick of the Los Angeles Rams and one of the top performers in FCS/Division IAA history. The SHSU quarterback with a thick build and strong arm was a first-team Associated Press FCS All-American as a junior, completing 315 of 503 passes (62.6 percent) for 4,602 yards and FCS-record 57 touchdowns (against 10 interceptions) in the team's shotgun-spread system. Briscoe was a finalist for the award again in 2017, leading his team to a 13-1 record and appearance in the FCS semi-finals. He was a second-team FCS All-American and second-team All-Southland Conference pick as a 14-game starter in 2017, completing 57.9 percent of his passes for 5,003 yards and 45 touchdowns with 16 interceptions. Briscoe started his career at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, where his lead recruiter, Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee, headed after the Razorbacks fell under NCAA sanctions. He was also an excellent pitcher, so he suited up for the Blazers baseball team -- until his shoulder gave way in spring 2013. Briscoe redshirted that fall but decided he would stay on the quarterback path. In 2014, he played in six games as a backup for UAB (361 yards, three touchdowns). Then the college's football program was dissolved, leading him to transfer closer to his hometown of Houston, choosing the Bearkats over Florida and many others recruiting for his services. In his first year at Sam Houston, Briscoe started two of 14 games played (54.9 completion percentage, 1,883 yards, 14 touchdowns, five interceptions), splitting time with the athletic Jared Johnson. Briscoe was a heralded recruit out of Stratford high school, as was coached by Eliot Allen, who had coached Stanford and Indianapolis passer Andrew Luck.

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Draft Projection

Priority free agent

Overview
    Highly confident gunslinger whose fearless approach has netted him gaudy touchdown numbers and a troubling number of interceptions against FCS opponents. Briscoe has ability as a full-field reader, but he falls below the desired level of accuracy expected of NFL quarterbacks. He has a shot at getting picked on Day 3 of the draft, but if he makes a team, his ceiling will be very modest.

Strengths
    •Prolific production as a passer over last two seasons with 102 touchdowns and 9600 yards passing
    •In command from the pocket and isn't afraid to challenge the secondary
    •Gets rid of the ball quickly with almost no lower body movement on Run-Pass options (RPOs)
    •Holds safeties with his eyes to help isolate his deep ball targets down the sideline
    •Throws with a feathery touch down the field
    •Plays with poise and processes quickly enough to avoid sacks
    •Can get to fourth read of progressions comfortably when needed
    •Ready to uncork it quickly when working from first option to second

Weaknesses
    •Has NFL size but a doughy body
    •Three-quarter delivery and below average release time lead to batted passes
    •Confidence can cloud decision making
    •Takes shots at bracketed coverage that have a low success rate
    •Threw 26 interceptions over the last two seasons
    •Accuracy and ball placement need work
    •Forces receivers to break stride to make catches
    •Treats footwork and balance as optional
    •On occasion, will make throws before routes are allowed to fully develop
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    1. Maas was not fired.
    2. TJ didn't misdirect. It turned out he was right.
    3. TBD
    Lots can happen in the space of 24 hours (or 8 hours, even!), let alone over the course of days or weeks. This is not a closed system; what was true at one point can change.

I stand beside (behind? in front of?) what I said at the time. You can call me out repeatedly, or think Iím no different than a Twitter parody account, itís fine. Have at it

vCash

Interesting time to announce the signing of a new QB. Seems like they are throwing a life preserver out for fans to latch onto. Preparing for the possible move of Mike as a FA and want to lessen the backlash if it happens. They want him to stay but are showing that they are not going to be caught off guard. Anyway that's the opinion of a cranky, paranoid old guy.

Good luck to Briscoe, I hope he wins a spot and learns from Mike for the next three years and takes over when Mike retires.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Interesting time to announce the signing of a new QB. Seems like they are throwing a life preserver out for fans to latch onto. Preparing for the possible move of Mike as a FA and want to lessen the backlash if it happens. They want him to stay but are showing that they are not going to be caught off guard. Anyway that's the opinion of a cranky, paranoid old guy.

Good luck to Briscoe, I hope he wins a spot and learns from Mike for the next three years and takes over when Mike retires.
    that's not my opinion!
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    that's not my opinion!
    Sorry I should have said, mean, cranky, paranoid old guy. Anyway that's what my "horror scope " said I was today.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I still stand by all of them, thanks
    1. Maas is on a short leash. We’ll see how things shake out in the new season.
    As for 2 and 3, I see no lies there.
    Backtracking at it's finest.

You could be a beat reporter, I think.

-Report s**t rumour- "It's happening!"
    -Rumour doesn't happen- "I still stand by what I said."

Okay.. well, glad that you stand by it. It's still s**t.

vCash

Deleted. Not worth it.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 11-08-2018 at 11:55 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Backtracking at it's finest.

You could be a beat reporter, I think.

-Report s**t rumour- "It's happening!"
    -Rumour doesn't happen- "I still stand by what I said."

Okay.. well, glad that you stand by it. It's still s**t.

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showth...397#post843397
    people in glass houses.......
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Lots can happen in the space of 24 hours (or 8 hours, even!), let alone over the course of days or weeks. This is not a closed system; what was true at one point can change.

I stand beside (behind? in front of?) what I said at the time. You can call me out repeatedly, or think I’m no different than a Twitter parody account, it’s fine. Have at it
    You best word your posts a bit different in the future then i would say if you don't want to be taken to task for being wrong.

vCash

I hope nobody digs up that post where I call Jared Zabransky the second coming of Warren Moon. I was heavily medicated at the time. Who am I kidding, I'm heavily medicated ALL the time...
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Opinions and speculation are one thing. Proclaiming certainty is another.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I hope nobody digs up that post where I call Jared Zabransky the second coming of Warren Moon. I was heavily medicated at the time. Who am I kidding, I'm heavily medicated ALL the time...
    And it's legal now

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Opinions and speculation are one thing. Proclaiming certainty is another.
    That is it. Especially when there is such a slant coming from it...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Iím not sold on bringing Maas back but I see the arguments for it and itís not necessarily a make or break thing for me, especially if it helps get Reilly back.

But there isnít an argument in the world that I would buy for keeping Benevides.

Iím already pissed about missing the playoffs in a Grey Cup year, bringing back Benevides would take that to a whole other level.
    When we rank in the bottom of the league in almost every defensive stat... I canít see an argument for keeping Bene around. We literally canít do any worse.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

Esks had a terrible defence the first half and the offence failed in the second half. If they had a worst year next year, I shut them out of my mind. I have a life and other better things to do.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

are you ****ing kidding me?! Bene will most likely be staying.. because the Esks where impressed how "he kept it together" in the 2nd half of the season? Again Are.You.****ing.kidding.me.

Tsn Reporter.. farha falalalogi how ever its spelt..

****ing bull****... hey teams you second and long?/ NO PROB!! Just wait and pass because dip**** plays soft zone....three years of his ****.... fml

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    are you ****ing kidding me?! Bene will most likely be staying.. because the Esks where impressed how "he kept it together" in the 2nd half of the season? Again Are.You.****ing.kidding.me.

Tsn Reporter.. farha falalalogi how ever its spelt..

****ing bull****... hey teams you second and long?/ NO PROB!! Just wait and pass because dip**** plays soft zone....three years of his ****.... fml
    I heard that and was just floored. Looks like they are going to pin this seasons failure on the special teams (who also sucked and are rightfully being changed). I will be stunned if our D doesnít suck again next year.

vCash

I thought the defense was horrible early in the season, but improved near the end (which seems to be the way with Bene D's). They held us in a few times. Unfortunately our offense dried up just as our defense got better.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Maybe but there is no doubt even if Reilly returns they need to replace his existing backups before training camp. They cannot possibly bring Geezer Glenn and career 3rd stringer O'Brien back next year. Time to bring in some young blood with the upside to be "the next guy". Reilly is a horse but that horse who hits 34 in January has a lot of hard miles on his body in recent years. Time to build a QB depth chart with some succession planning in place.

vCash

I understand the feeling that the defense was better in the second half of the season because they were. The 2nd half defense is good enough for the team to win when the offense shows up. But that's been the story for the last three years. Esks defense season after season has been at the bottom or close to the bottom pre-labour day, where the second half bails them out to being just mediocre or below average over the full season and the team is happy with the improvement and give it another chance.

Shouldn't improvement be season over season not just within season when you start out at the bottom.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I thought the defense was horrible early in the season, but improved near the end (which seems to be the way with Bene D's). They held us in a few times. Unfortunately our offense dried up just as our defense got better.
    Pass defence sucked all year, we tightened up versus teams with a weak passing game, they still threw for big plays.

To me, Bene = zone defence, I hate zone. I prefer man and zone only when it is needed.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Hmmmm. This "improved" you speak of was starting from a pretty low point and didn't seem to be able to make a key stop when they absolutely had to all season long. So, sure, maybe they were improved, but that still was a long way from good enough. And I still have no idea if it's coaching or players. Or maybe the players are wrong for the scheme. Whatever, the Esks are never going to be a championship team with that combination of players and coaching. As others have said, it's time for a new defensive coach with a more aggressive style of defense. Something Dan Kepley could be proud of.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    Hmmmm. This "improved" you speak of was starting from a pretty low point and didn't seem to be able to make a key stop when they absolutely had to all season long. So, sure, maybe they were improved, but that still was a long way from good enough. And I still have no idea if it's coaching or players. Or maybe the players are wrong for the scheme. Whatever, the Esks are never going to be a championship team with that combination of players and coaching. As others have said, it's time for a new defensive coach with a more aggressive style of defense. Something Dan Kepley could be proud of.
    Fair enough...although they were able to hold opponents to OK point totals for the most part in the second half of the season. They weren't atrocious near the end, although not as good as I'd like. I'd like to see a more aggressive style too.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Benevides is our answer to Dom Capers.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Benevides is our answer to Dom Capers.
    In the Nov. 8th article in 3Down Nation they give their opinion on who the top twelve CFL head coaching candidates are and no mention of Bene.

I heard a radio show where he was the guest and he certainly is a very well spoken person. Would make a good addition to the TSN football panel.

vCash

I heard a radio show where he was the guest and he certainly is a very well spoken person. Would make a good addition to the TSN football panel.
    He actually was on the panel for a short time after his stint as Lions HC ended.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wonder if they're going to bother sending out a "Customer Survey" this year...or if they know better. Actually who are we kidding...we know nobody actually looks at those anyways.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If Z would have had his head on straight and not preoccupied with his agent's mythical NFL deals promised, he could have done some real good things here. All said, he does run a pretty good QB school in texas I believe for High Schoolers. Given how much texans spend on HS football, he's likely doing alright
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Deleted. Not worth it.
    Don't sweat it. There were a lot of people crapping all over those who predicted the sh*tstorm that was Uncle Pervie too
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

With all the potential for QB movement this off-season, it got me thinking, I doubt we bring KG back so assuming we retain Reilly, who would you all like to see as the new backup

I actually wouldn't mind taking a shot on Bridge, and to a lesser extent Jennings. I think both of those guys are young enough that with the right coaching and a change of scenery they might be able to rebound and salvage their careers. With Bridge, I like his moxy and with his athleticism, I think Maas could turn him into a more complete QB. He's got the tools, but McAdoo is not the guy to develop a young QB.

If you want to go the more experienced route, I'd look at Lulay assuming he does make it to FA. I know he was previously considered a lifer in BC but not sure if that's still the case now with Hervey there. We all know how Reilly would feel about having his buddy backing him up and could be another draw for him to resign if it hasn't already happened yet at that point, and I believe Lulay can still step in and win you a game in emergency situations. Also, Ricky Ray hasn't made any official announcements that I've seen and I think it's only a matter of time before he winds up back here in some capacity. With the change of direction in Toronto he might want to come back and finish his career off behind Mike before transitioning to the coaching staff.

I still like Klein as well, and I'm hoping he can win the number three job next year, but I don't see him being ready to leapfrog to number two yet, and any new guy coming in is likely to be battling for a PR spot.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 11-24-2018 at 03:44 PM.