Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    With all the potential for QB movement this off-season, it got me thinking, I doubt we bring KG back so assuming we retain Reilly, who would you all like to see as the new backup

I actually wouldn't mind taking a shot on Bridge, and to a lesser extent Jennings. I think both of those guys are young enough that with the right coaching and a change of scenery they might be able to rebound and salvage their careers. With Bridge, I like his moxy and with his athleticism, I think Maas could turn him into a more complete QB. He's got the tools, but McAdoo is not the guy to develop a young QB.

If you want to go the more experienced route, I'd look at Lulay assuming he does make it to FA. I know he was previously considered a lifer in BC but not sure if that's still the case now with Hervey there. We all know how Reilly would feel about having his buddy backing him up and could be another draw for him to resign if it hasn't already happened yet at that point, and I believe Lulay can still step in and win you a game in emergency situations. Also, Ricky Ray hasn't made any official announcements that I've seen and I think it's only a matter of time before he winds up back here in some capacity. With the change of direction in Toronto he might want to come back and finish his career off behind Mike before transitioning to the coaching staff.

I still like Klein as well, and I'm hoping he can win the number three job next year, but I don't see him being ready to leapfrog to number two yet, and any new guy coming in is likely to be battling for a PR spot.
    I think Jennings will be solid as a back-up wherever he goes. He definitely needs a change of scenery & he’ll be fine.

vCash

Reilly and Jennings...I'd be drooling. I think Jennings will be great, once he settles down.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I think Jennings will be solid as a back-up wherever he goes. He definitely needs a change of scenery & he’ll be fine.
    I agree I aleady brought his name up as a potential back up here.. diez was NOT impressed however lol

But I think Jennings has a lot going for him as a guy who can get u home come injury etc.... double digit starts and prob wins in this league would be a nice transmission from Glenn..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Reilly and Jennings...I'd be drooling. I think Jennings will be great, once he settles down.

Jennings is a solid shout.. I don’t think there is any way in hell he will be back in bc..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I agree I aleady brought his name up as a potential back up here.. diez was NOT impressed however lol

But I think Jennings has a lot going for him as a guy who can get u home come injury etc.... double digit starts and prob wins in this league would be a nice transmission from Glenn..

- - - Updated - - -

Jennings is a solid shout.. I donít think there is any way in hell he will be back in bc..

I really don't see Jennings accepting a back up role next year. There will be multiple teams potentially needing a starter with some type of CFL experience, including us (if Reilly leaves), Calgary (if Bo leaves for NFL), Sask, BC (although i doubt he re signs there after Hervey's media comments), Toronto, and Montreal. I think it is much more likely he signs with one of these teams as a starter than agreeing to come here as a backup.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

They’re just a little late. He’s been gone for almost 2 weeks now.
    Last edited by eskfan152; 11-27-2018 at 08:24 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    They’re just a little late. He’s been gone for almost 2 weeks now.
    With the thousands of former players, coaches, staff and executive that have been with the Eskimos, it’s no easy task to monitor every obituary out there.

That being said, it’s also possible that they knew, but didn’t want it to get lost in the Grey Cup festivities going on - the Esks were posting quite a bit every day, and Jim Hole deserved the respect that waiting 10 days afforded the announcement.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Terry Jones (yeah, yeah, I know) said that the Esks only became aware of it on Monday.

He was the president of the team, and a vital person behind the scene in sports in Edmonton. Whether's it's on time or not, I'm glad he's being recognized for his many contributions.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hot Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Hey guys just listening in regina cjme Green Zone radio show and Glen Suitor mentioned that chances where Mike Reilly ends up signing is Eskies 30%,Lions-30%,Sliders -30% and 10% everybody else.Now slidernation is drooling and really think that they will sign Reilly which makes me vomit.Suitor also said that not only is Mike waiting for the new CBA but he thinks that Reilly tests Free Agency after talking to Mike at the CFL awards.What does everybody think?

If we lose Reilly who would everybody want as our starter next year?
    Last edited by dealerd; 11-29-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Forgot last question

vCash

I’m surprised that people haven’t talked a bit more about the possibility of MR signing in riderville. For all the loyalty people talk about towards Swerve...let’s not forget who his head coach was when we our team was at its best.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I’m surprised that people haven’t talked a bit more about the possibility of MR signing in riderville. For all the loyalty people talk about towards Swerve...let’s not forget who his head coach was when we our team was at its best.
    I think Jones' chances would improve if he replaced his OC.

vCash

I think Jones' chances would improve if he replaced his OC.
    Mcadoo was reillys Oc here as a Mo, I doubt he has any issues with him.. especially when jones defence has proven to get u 8-9 wins without any offence at all...

Still think reilly stays here imho.. way to many question marks in bc, but I think riders have a chance.. more so than bc

vCash

Eskimos resigned a lot of their 2018 draft class, who ended the year on the practice roster. And Mason Woods:

EDM ADD NAT Jordan BEAULIEU (DB) Western University
    EDM ADD NAT Peter BERRYMAN (WR) Auburn
    EDM ADD NAT Tanner GREEN (RB) Concordia
    EDM ADD NAT Curtis KRAHN (OL) Calgary
    EDM ADD NAT Mason WOODS (OL) Idaho

Green and Beaulieu have already played games for us. Beaulieu could be our future starting safety.

vCash

Here's a link to the CFL free agent lists - Edmonton sure has a lot of them

https://www.cfl.ca/fa19/

vCash

No big FA will sign until the CBA gets done. And unless the CFL wants a talent drain en masse, then they had better increase their minimum salary to beat the Alliance.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Eskimos resigned a lot of their 2018 draft class, who ended the year on the practice roster. And Mason Woods:

Green and Beaulieu have already played games for us. Beaulieu could be our future starting safety.
    What about the guys like McMaster and Taylor who went back to school at western?? Will they be joining us in2019?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Average is 33/Team. Edmonton has 35...

Als - 29
    Redblacks - 32
    Argos - 37
    TiCats - 35
    Bombers - 32
    Riders - 26
    Stumps - 36
    Esks - 35
    Lions - 37

Certainly a lot of big names on every team that are up for FA...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

No more than anyone else really....

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    No big FA will sign until the CBA gets done. And unless the CFL wants a talent drain en masse, then they had better increase their minimum salary to beat the Alliance.
    There are a lot of guys with deals done and just waiting to see what the CBA has in it before the paperwork gets filed too...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    There are a lot of guys with deals done and just waiting to see what the CBA has in it before the paperwork gets filed too...
    Yup... u assume there is...

Is there a list of our 36 anywhere?

vCash

I can't remember ever seeing that many on all the teams. Everyone waiting for a big payday with a new CBA ?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    The established talent making $200-400k won't go anywhere. It's the younger guys who will stop coming north, I think.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing that many on all the teams. Everyone waiting for a big payday with a new CBA ?
    Prob the cflpa showing a united front

vCash

When are they expected to negotiate a new CBA? Is there a timeframe to this? Knowing the braintrust of the CFL I'm assuming 2 weeks after free agency starts
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post

I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a Mason Woods. Can't remember him dressing for a game either with the Argos or us. This will be his 3rd CFL year. Starting to look like a Danny Groulx X 2.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a Mason Woods. Can't remember him dressing for a game either with the Argos or us. This will be his 3rd CFL year. Starting to look like a Danny Groulx X 2.
    An excellent depth player who can play many positions? Under rated how much we missed having guys like that this year. Not good enough to be a consistent starter but can give you a game or 2 without a huge downgrade. I'm looking specifically at that position on the OL and the secondary depth. We just did not have it.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    An excellent depth player who can play many positions? Under rated how much we missed having guys like that this year. Not good enough to be a consistent starter but can give you a game or 2 without a huge downgrade. I'm looking specifically at that position on the OL and the secondary depth. We just did not have it.
    Yes, when we won the Cup, Greaves really helped us when we had oline injuries. Played C & G . Noticing Calgary's Spencer Wilson is a FA. iirc he has played most oline spots. Would be a starter on most CFL teams.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    When are they expected to negotiate a new CBA? Is there a timeframe to this? Knowing the braintrust of the CFL I'm assuming 2 weeks after free agency starts
    Really don't know. But the AAF season starts in February.

The CFL isn't the kind of league that can survive a work stoppage, and the CFL draft takes place in May, so best scenario is January. Bad scenario is spring. Worst scenario is no more CFL.

vCash

Should there be a new offseason thread for 2018?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I was shocked Groulx didn't play this year. Came out of the great program at Laval as a mature, pro ready prospect. Started games as a rookie. Injuries slowed him down a bit, but he seemed ready for a starters role - was big and mean and had paid his dues. I understood the Esks didn't want to pay him starter money so he tested the market. Didn't end up anywhere all year. I was shocked that Montreal or Saskatchewan didn't sign him. Eskimos could have used him, as we were playing 3 Americans at the end of the year.