Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I'm not normally into conspiracy theories... but... did you notice that the only players you can pick from are Jennings, Elimimian, Johnson, Burnham and Arceneaux?

I think that it is apparent that Jennings is moving on, and I think most have presumed that Arceneaux and Johnson were unlikely to be back. Sol makes a pretty penny, and Burnham is due for a big raise likely. Am I reading too much into this?
    I noted that as well for the same reasons. Hard to say if that's reading too much into things or not. Other than perhaps Lulay those would be the players the club would have bought the biggest inventories for thus likely have the biggest inventories to clear especially if there are changes to the jerseys coming.

vCash

I'm not normally into conspiracy theories... but... did you notice that the only players you can pick from are Jennings, Elimimian, Johnson, Burnham and Arceneaux?

I think that it is apparent that Jennings is moving on, and I think most have presumed that Arceneaux and Johnson were unlikely to be back. Sol makes a pretty penny, and Burnham is due for a big raise likely. Am I reading too much into this?
    Custom ones were the same price, but interesting observation

- - - Updated - - -

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Custom ones were the same price, but interesting observation

- - - Updated - - -

Try the dark green with 'Nook on the side with a football.... or will that get the sjw polar bear lovers all bent out of shape???
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

vCash

Sounds like he is a lot brighter than his cousin.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Sounds like he is a lot brighter than his cousin.
    Kenny's a bright guy, and he's been on quite a journey over the past few years, developing and growing every step along the way.

While fans will, somewhat naturally, judge him for his on-field performance, since agreeing to come to Edmonton on the PR to start the 2017 season, he's grown as a leader and has maintained his interest in being a bigger part of the Edmonton community, spending a good portion of his off-season locally.

From an on-field perspective, he does some things well, and isn't going to be as successful when being asked to perform other roles. He's a guy that relies on separation and some speed, and I could see him thriving under Jason Tucker working on the subtlety of route running and getting separation on deeper routes. I don't see him as being as productive when being asked to fight through heavy traffic or battle for 50/50 balls. It's worth noting that through the first 1/3 of the season in 2018, I believe he was ranked 6th in the league in receiving yardage... with both Derel and Duke also up there. In an offence where the ball is spread around and he's not drawing the toughest matchup on the field, he can be a contributor, but I'm less confident in him as a number 1, or possibly even a number 2 option.

I'm encouraged that he and Brock are talking, and have a good amount of admiration for Kenny as a person. I may be in the minority on this, but I'd love to see him back in Green and Gold as a number 3 receiver in the offence.

vCash

^If Kenny is a #3/4 receiver I'd be ok with that.

On the free agency front, I think BJ Cunningham would be a solid addition to our lineup. He's been pretty productive in Montreal with underwhelming QB's to work with.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Kenny's a bright guy, and he's been on quite a journey over the past few years, developing and growing every step along the way.

While fans will, somewhat naturally, judge him for his on-field performance, since agreeing to come to Edmonton on the PR to start the 2017 season, he's grown as a leader and has maintained his interest in being a bigger part of the Edmonton community, spending a good portion of his off-season locally.

From an on-field perspective, he does some things well, and isn't going to be as successful when being asked to perform other roles. He's a guy that relies on separation and some speed, and I could see him thriving under Jason Tucker working on the subtlety of route running and getting separation on deeper routes. I don't see him as being as productive when being asked to fight through heavy traffic or battle for 50/50 balls. It's worth noting that through the first 1/3 of the season in 2018, I believe he was ranked 6th in the league in receiving yardage... with both Derel and Duke also up there. In an offence where the ball is spread around and he's not drawing the toughest matchup on the field, he can be a contributor, but I'm less confident in him as a number 1, or possibly even a number 2 option.

I'm encouraged that he and Brock are talking, and have a good amount of admiration for Kenny as a person. I may be in the minority on this, but I'd love to see him back in Green and Gold as a number 3 receiver in the offence.
    Agreed...you're going to need some value contracts and he could turn out to be one of those.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    ^If Kenny is a #3/4 receiver I'd be ok with that.

On the free agency front, I think BJ Cunningham would be a solid addition to our lineup. He's been pretty productive in Montreal with underwhelming QB's to work with.
    the only way I see us spending big money on receivers will be if Mike goes elsewhere, otherwise this may be an area where we have some unknown names heading into 2019.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

George McGowan, amazing player. Looks like they're talking about where to go for a beer after the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    George McGowan, amazing player. Looks like they're talking about where to go for a beer after the game.
    My money is on them settling to meet at The Grand hotel. Before them tearing the place down, a few of us started to make it a pilgrimage stop for a beverage during training camp. Back in the day, if you didn't show up there for a drink, there were often teammates dispatched to go find you and bring you there as I understand it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    What's more original than our iconic double E?
    Yes, what is more original than two letters on a plain yellow helmet?
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Yes, what is more original than two letters on a plain yellow helmet?
    Modern retro... or retro modern.... u decide..

vCash

What in the serious **** is this about? Randy! How about get off you European high horse and focus on your league priorities!

vCash

Unless the Esks have given the Lions permission to talk to him...like the tweet says, this is a rumor.

vCash

Unless the Esks have given the Lions permission to talk to him...like the tweet says, this is a rumor.
    Its entirely possible that Brock gave everyone permission so that he could get ahead of the game and find out what Mike is going to do BEFORE free agency opens.

vCash

Where there's smoke...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Its entirely possible that Brock gave everyone permission so that he could get ahead of the game and find out what Mike is going to do BEFORE free agency opens.
    That would be a real dumb move IMO. Does Mike even know what Mike is doing?

vCash

Certainly possible and I could see that happening. Mike has been clear he will test free agency. Brock could be giving him the courtesy of being the first QB out of the gate to have discussions. I know Hervey (and others) have stated in the past that the league needs to change its policy regarding free agents to allow all teams to have informal discussions with players on their team's radar prior to the actual free agency signing date. Perhaps some GM's are using loopholes to their advantage. Personally, I'd like to see players have the ability to have good discussions with teams before they sign. I think it would be beneficial to the teams, the players (and their families).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

What in the serious **** is this about? Randy! How about get off you European high horse and focus on your league priorities!
    Sure hope ed gets fined for that ask the eskimos remark!

#ustayclassy

vCash

Certainly possible and I could see that happening. Mike has been clear he will test free agency. Brock could be giving him the courtesy of being the first QB out of the gate to have discussions. I know Hervey (and others) have stated in the past that the league needs to change its policy regarding free agents to allow all teams to have informal discussions with players on their team's radar prior to the actual free agency signing date. Perhaps some GM's are using loopholes to their advantage. Personally, I'd like to see players have the ability to have good discussions with teams before they sign. I think it would be beneficial to the teams, the players (and their families).
    Allowing this to play out now does help to give Sunderland some clarity. I want Reilly back as much as the next guy, but at the same time there is danger in waiting for Reilly if the rest of the qb musical chairs settles out and at the last minute Reilly bolts. Leaves us with limited options

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Where there's smoke...

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a real dumb move IMO. Does Mike even know what Mike is doing?
    Not sure I agree with that. He's set to hit the market on Tuesday, I'm sure the Eskimos have put their best foot forward already so why not get Mike all the information he's going to need early so that we can find out, before free agency hits, which way he's going to go. If he does chose BC we could be in the market for a replacement on day 1 as opposed to later in the game when we may have missed out on plan B

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by icezilla View Post
    Allowing this to play out now does help to give Sunderland some clarity. I want Reilly back as much as the next guy, but at the same time there is danger in waiting for Reilly if the rest of the qb musical chairs settles out and at the last minute Reilly bolts. Leaves us with limited options
    I suspect once Reilly signs, seven other quarterbacks will be signed within two hours.
    Knowing the character of a guy like Mike, I know he understands the impact he has with stretching out this process. I think he (and the other QB's) all want to settle into the 2019 season sooner rather than later. I just hope the collective agreement discussions don't drag on until May. Something has to give.

vCash

Gut feeling but at the end of the day I think Reilly goes to BC. Nothing factual to back that up, just a gut feeling.

vCash

Not sure I agree with that. He's set to hit the market on Tuesday, I'm sure the Eskimos have put their best foot forward already so why not get Mike all the information he's going to need early so that we can find out, before free agency hits, which way he's going to go. If he does chose BC we could be in the market for a replacement on day 1 as opposed to later in the game when we may have missed out on plan B
    Sure. If Mike told Brock that honestly BC was the only other priority option, then let Mike talk to BC before all the other teams are in his face. This allows Brock time to have a follow up discussion with him before next week. That follow up discussion could really give Brock some good insight as to how things are gonna play out. This would allow him to consider what his $ options are for all other free agents he is considering.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Sure hope ed gets fined for that ask the eskimos remark!

#ustayclassy
    Sorry, I don’t understand. Why is that fine-able?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Sorry, I don’t understand. Why is that fine-able?
    He’s taking pot shots.. can’t fine him no, it’s just bitchy..

I didn’t think Ed was a bitch...

I do now.... hense the stay classy...

vCash

Not sure I agree with you on this one CM, If the Eskimos did give him permission to talk to Mike he would be just passing the questions off on them.

vCash

Not sure I agree with you on this one CM, If the Eskimos did give him permission to talk to Mike he would be just passing the questions off on them.
    I could have read that initial ed quote really the wrong way then... oops! Lol

Dont mind me.. I thought he was taking petty shots at the eskimos! Lol

vCash

All depends on the interpretation.

If he's suggesting that it's not his place to disclose if the Esks gave permission, then it could be viewed as deferential.

I maintain that there is no reason for Hervey to break the rules and speak to Mike early without permission. The only way I see it that Mike doesn't go to free agency is if the Lions get permission to speak with him, and either he determines that the Esks' offer is better and he signs prior to free agency, or they come to terms with the Lions and there is a trade for his rights prior to Feb 12. I still view both of those as a longshot, as my belief is that there is still some pressure to wait for the CBA... or at least start down that path. If, however, he can set the bar as high as it is going to go, say $750k with tons of upfront money, that could end up giving the CFLPA some leverage in getting the cap higher without him having to wait for a CBA, and it's realistic to presume that the number wouldn't go higher with time.