Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,167 of 1167

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018 Offseason

Those videos make me antsy. Football season can't come soon enough!
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Starving for some Eskimo news or dialog so am wondering what everyone is going to be looking for in camp this year? The battle for the middle linebacker spot is going to be an interesting one with Tank Reed and Larry Dean, I suspect that Dean will win the role but will that leave Tank without a job? We have decent backup depth behind Dean with Korey Jones as well as some rookies such as DJ Calhoun and Caleb Bailey. Not sure what kinda dollars it took to sign Reed but if we are tight to the cap he may become a casualty. Also am curious to see how we are going to be using our talent and ratio at the linebacker spot. Will Unamba be slotted into the strong side linebacker role or used as a DB? I suspect that his versatility will see him in a few different positions to hopefully confuse offences.

Unlike our linebackers our secondary may rely on a relatively unknown player taking a step forward, someone like Money Hunter is primed to have a breakout year and could be that value contract that we are looking for. Rookies I'll be watching are Justin Gibbons, BJ Clay as well as some of the guys that have SOME CFL experience in Brian Walker, Tyquwan Glass and Robert Priester.

Another interesting battle will be the back up QB spot. I'm excited about Jeremiah Briscoe's potential but will that translate to the Canadian game? I'm not expecting him to battle for the #2 spot but wouldn't mind seeing him as our #3.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post

Another interesting battle will be the back up QB spot. I'm excited about Jeremiah Briscoe's potential but will that translate to the Canadian game? I'm not expecting him to battle for the #2 spot but wouldn't mind seeing him as our #3.
    I'd like to see us get back to a system where our #3 QB runs short yardage and has a small package that we go with to mix things up every once in a while. We need to get our young prospect QB's involved in the game. Sitting on the PR isn't helping us or them. And yes, I'm hoping Briscoe shines at camp. I'd love to see him make the game day roster.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm mainly excited to see how the defense improves schematically under Lolley. Since 2016, one of the biggest problems with this team was the lack of an intimidating defense; Bene's crew could rarely make a crucial stop, and it really hurt us at key times last year. If Lolley can get them to even half of what they were under Jones (even with the Jones-era Esks all gone), that alone should have a drastic effect.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'd like to see us get back to a system where our #3 QB runs short yardage and has a small package that we go with to mix things up every once in a while. We need to get our young prospect QB's involved in the game. Sitting on the PR isn't helping us or them. And yes, I'm hoping Briscoe shines at camp. I'd love to see him make the game day roster.
    I agree but Maas seems to like his veterans, hopefully Briscoe can come in and grab that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I'm mainly excited to see how the defense improves schematically under Lolley. Since 2016, one of the biggest problems with this team was the lack of an intimidating defense; Bene's crew could rarely make a crucial stop, and it really hurt us at key times last year. If Lolley can get them to even half of what they were under Jones (even with the Jones-era Esks all gone), that alone should have a drastic effect.
    Thats the biggest question mark for me. Right now I think that we are going to be drastically better, especially later in the year once everyone has played in the system for awhile, but there is no real way to know for sure. I will say that our talent on the D side is considerably better than it was last year.

vCash

Too easy
    In Rod we trust

vCash

why a smidge of salt from D-walk?
    didnt really appear to me that he was under utilized ???
    just that the deep deep balls were moreso for the other guys mentioned? and that he was used to do some out routes in combo with the deep balls so therefore he got a little less? i dont know

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/12/oleary...best-yet-come/

“I’m busting my butt to get better, to provide this team with a service that they need. I’m going all out which is what I do every year. Last year when I was in Edmonton, I was the highest paid receiver over there as well but the role over there wasn’t quite what I expected going into the season.”

He pointed out that in all of his time in Edmonton, he was never the first option in the receiving corps. He played behind Adarius Bowman, Brandon Zylstra and Duke Williams and was still named a CFL all-star twice. In Toronto, even with S.J. Green in the lineup he sees himself as a No. 1. The money would suggest that’s the plan for him this year.

“ I feel like I put in the time and the work to become a No. 1,” he said.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hmm. Disappointing to hear this.

vCash

Hmm. Disappointing to hear this.
    why is it disappointing ? Guess you would have rather seen all the balls thrown his way and no more deep shots to duke then ?

He got injured and others stepped up to the level where you couldn't take them out of have them as third receiver. Would I have liked to seen him get more balls? Sure.. great complement to duke.. and it was clear our first read was deep then underneath. IMO he's going to be a excellent 2nd to Green.. Green deep, Walker underneath... nice two weapons to have for whoever is their QB

vCash

Walker projected to get over 1400 yards if he played 18 games last year. I suspect a lot of those yards would have come because there were other very good options to throw to. I believe SJ Green and Armanti Edwards will see their share of the ball this season, but if Walker and Franklin find that vibe they had in 2015 when Walker came off the PR and became Franklin's "go to" receiver, I would think Derel will be challenging for the league lead this season. Hopefully it will sell some tickets in TO.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    why is it disappointing ? Guess you would have rather seen all the balls thrown his way and no more deep shots to duke then ?

He got injured and others stepped up to the level where you couldn't take them out of have them as third receiver. Would I have liked to seen him get more balls? Sure.. great complement to duke.. and it was clear our first read was deep then underneath. IMO he's going to be a excellent 2nd to Green.. Green deep, Walker underneath... nice two weapons to have for whoever is their QB
    Not disappointed by that...I was more referring to the "salt" / the slight "me-first" attitude that Maas_12 alluded to. I realize now that I should've actually read the article (idiot!) before making my post.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    why a smidge of salt from D-walk?
    didnt really appear to me that he was under utilized ???
    just that the deep deep balls were moreso for the other guys mentioned? and that he was used to do some out routes in combo with the deep balls so therefore he got a little less? i dont know

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/12/oleary...best-yet-come/

“I’m busting my butt to get better, to provide this team with a service that they need. I’m going all out which is what I do every year. Last year when I was in Edmonton, I was the highest paid receiver over there as well but the role over there wasn’t quite what I expected going into the season.”

He pointed out that in all of his time in Edmonton, he was never the first option in the receiving corps. He played behind Adarius Bowman, Brandon Zylstra and Duke Williams and was still named a CFL all-star twice. In Toronto, even with S.J. Green in the lineup he sees himself as a No. 1. The money would suggest that’s the plan for him this year.

“ I feel like I put in the time and the work to become a No. 1,” he said.
    Meh..... if he didn't want the ball on every play I would question his intentions. What he said is in the minds of pretty much every receiver in the league, difference being that most guys will say the typical cliches like "I'll do what ever is best for the team" and "as long as we are winning, I don't care how many yards I get" but he was justifying his contract so felt the need to point out ball distribution.

I hold no ill will towards Walker and hope he does well in TO

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Meh..... if he didn't want the ball on every play I would question his intentions. What he said is in the minds of pretty much every receiver in the league, difference being that most guys will say the typical cliches like "I'll do what ever is best for the team" and "as long as we are winning, I don't care how many yards I get" but he was justifying his contract so felt the need to point out ball distribution.

I hold no ill will towards Walker and hope he does well in TO
    He's been every bit the team guy with the Esks, both benefiting from it (Getzlaf was huge for him developing the mental side of the game) and being a leader for other guys around him. Despite his success, he's been on teams where he hasn't been a clear top guy, but he's bought in and been consistently productive.

It likely is indicative that the Maas offence looks for certain skill sets/strengths for the different receiving roles. While no one questions Walk's abilities, they led him to a specific role, which at times was more of a 1b or 2 - a testament to the talent around him on a continued basis that they didn't have to force him into a different role.

I can understand why he'd look forward to being a "1" in the Toronto system, and look forward to seeing how it works with he and Frank and the supporting cast around him. Wish him nothing but success.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    He's been every bit the team guy with the Esks, both benefiting from it (Getzlaf was huge for him developing the mental side of the game) and being a leader for other guys around him. Despite his success, he's been on teams where he hasn't been a clear top guy, but he's bought in and been consistently productive.

It likely is indicative that the Maas offence looks for certain skill sets/strengths for the different receiving roles. While no one questions Walk's abilities, they led him to a specific role, which at times was more of a 1b or 2 - a testament to the talent around him on a continued basis that they didn't have to force him into a different role.

I can understand why he'd look forward to being a "1" in the Toronto system, and look forward to seeing how it works with he and Frank and the supporting cast around him. Wish him nothing but success.
    One of the things that makes Maas's offence great is that you never know who is going to get the targets from week to week. An offence that continually forces the ball to a perceived #1 becomes a little easier to cover.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

You mean a football guy with actual football background and knowledge will be helping to promote football?

What a novel concept...

(Yes, I know it's not the presidential position, but I'll applaud any low-hanging fruit the BOD can reach.)

vCash

Jones was in the tailgate spot next to us a couple times last year. My impression of him was that he's very easy going, personable and friendly, the type of guy that everyone gets along with. In the little bit I talked to him, community relations seems like a natural fit. Best of luck to Andrew in his new role!
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Didn't jones rip the eskimos for letting him go or trading him at one point? Or perhaps i am thinking of someone else.

vCash

vCash

I recall him being a real force on the BC Lions Dline a couple of years ago. Played a bit past the whistle iirc. A good replacement for Ceresna if he plays at his BC level.
    Last edited by turftoe27; Yesterday at 02:26 PM.

vCash

Amazing pickup
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Amazing pickup
    Yeah this is a solid move by BS. Plays with an edge for sure.

vCash
    Blog Entries

It's nice when your football ops budget can be used to pick up quality DT's instead of washed up rappers.

vCash

You mean a football guy with actual football background and knowledge will be helping to promote football?

What a novel concept...

(Yes, I know it's not the presidential position, but I'll applaud any low-hanging fruit the BOD can reach.)
    It's nice when your football ops budget can be used to pick up quality DT's instead of washed up rappers.
    So you think the Board of Directors hires community relations people and that the Football Operations budget was used for halftime shows???

vCash

DE - Boetang/Bazzie
    DT - Sewell/Brooks/Moore

That not bad DL with a much improved LB core with additions of Santos-Knox - Dean - Unamba.

Still interested in how we use Unamba. Was a CFl all-star last season as a LB playing next to Dean. On other hand, We could use him in the secondary as a HB. Konar and CMT also need to fit into the equation. Should be interesting...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    DE - Boetang/Bazzie
    DT - Sewell/Brooks/Moore

That not bad DL with a much improved LB core with additions of Santos-Knox - Dean - Unamba.

Still interested in how we use Unamba. Was a CFl all-star last season as a LB playing next to Dean. On other hand, We could use him in the secondary as a HB. Konar and CMT also need to fit into the equation. Should be interesting...
    While the position is often labeled as "SAM Linebacker" many defenses are using that position as a hybrid between a SAM and a nickel DB, not as a pure SAM. I would imagine that Lolley will do similar to what Chris Jones did, who is the one who really popularized that position switching to a nickel.

I was wondering if they were considering running a 3-4 D with Bazzie/Mondo/Boateng backed by Konar/Santos-Knox/Dean/Unamba, but with some of the signings we are seeing, it doesn't seem that way. I can't wait for camp to see how it all shakes out!
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    While the position is often labeled as "SAM Linebacker" many defenses are using that position as a hybrid between a SAM and a nickel DB, not as a pure SAM. I would imagine that Lolley will do similar to what Chris Jones did, who is the one who really popularized that position switching to a nickel.

I was wondering if they were considering running a 3-4 D with Bazzie/Mondo/Boateng backed by Konar/Santos-Knox/Dean/Unamba, but with some of the signings we are seeing, it doesn't seem that way. I can't wait for camp to see how it all shakes out!
    The ratio intrigues me.... What 7 Nationals get a starting spot?

Do we go with 2 or 3 Nationals on the OL?

Does Colquhoun finally take hold of a starting CB position on D?

How does Konar/CMT figure into the equation on D? Do one of them get the start?

Do we make the Safety position National or International?

Does our draft pick from a few years ago WR Smith start as a WR?

Many solid options to get 7 national starters. Much more confident with our National starters/depth and options this year then years past.