Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Was he seriously a step slower? Everyone keeps saying he was slower.
    Yes, but he’s smart. Was able to compensate with timing & angles and, for the most part, was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    This team is f***ed.

Just putting it bluntly.

It's also sad that our core only ended up winning 1 Grey Cup. That's just total mismanagement.
    You never know. The core (most of the core) could win another Grey Cup together, just not as Eskimos. Just sayin’....kind of facetiously, kind of not....it’s out of any of our control.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    While the roster last year wasn't good enough and I expected changes to take place, typically you still like to see some continuity with the roster. With the mass exodus of guys to the NFL, the CBA issues, almost 3/4 of the team could be different which for me is a concern. The concern being with so many new faces, it will take time to learn systems, it will take time to get to know one another and leadership could be a problem. I hope not.
    fair point .. It could be.. But also when u think about it.. It can apply across the league we've never seen ( or I've never seen ) so many free agents across the league and almost every qb a free agent.. U might say every team will look very different in 2019.. If we lose Reilly we might steal Harris and then thst has a merry go round effect on the whole league and everyone's learning new systems and building chemistry

For sure it's gonna be a crazy off season!

vCash

Here ya go Q finally some good news BREAKING: We have extended ���� K Hugh O'Neill through the 2020 season. Welcome back Huuuuuugh

We've resigned our punter....which is great cause if we don't get Reilly back holy ****balls we'll be doing a lot of punting!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Here ya go Q finally some good news BREAKING: We have extended ���� K Hugh O'Neill through the 2020 season. Welcome back Huuuuuugh

We've resigned our punter....which is great cause if we don't get Reilly back holy ****balls we'll be doing a lot of punting!
    I thought this had happened awhile ago, or maybe it was just rumored
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Losing JC shocked me. I know that he and Coach Lolley have remained close off the field over the past number of years, and I really thought that his return would give us at least one more season. I know that Sherritt was starting to think about retirement the season where he tore his Achilles, but didn't want to go out that way, and while it's tougher to recover your full speed off an Achilles the older you get, he talked about getting a year without the wear and tear on the rest of the body, and I thought that also would buy him more time. While I agree that he lost a little speed, I think he often was able to offset that with positioning and thinking the game. Where I thought it might have been most noticeable was when the other team caught him cheating up a little. There were times when I felt that instead of laying back for a half-beat, he was up into the line early at times, and getting caught up in the wash on run plays, where he was forced to declare and pick a gap to fill, instead of letting the back make his choice and react to him. I still feel he was very effective last year, and was trusting, another year removed from the injury, that he might have recovered that much further.

I share in the nervousness around things with this team. I would just as soon have Reilly under contract, and a stable veteran and a promising up and comer behind him, then surround them with weapons the caliber that we've had in recent years and fill the lineup with veteran leaders that know the Eskimo way, give us the hometown discount to want to play in Edmonton and are not yet on the decline. The reality is that we, like many teams, are going to face a lot of uncertainty... with the exception of Wpg, and possibly Ham, show me a team that isn't facing questions about at least one or two of their coach, QB, free agents, etc. There's a big difference between saying that 3/4 of our roster is free agents and, so far, we're not hearing any progress on those, and saying 3/4 of our team could be different. The latter is such a long shot to become reality. Even if Mike signs elsewhere, there is no way that every free agent that we have moves on to another team.

I completely understand why some could be excited. I completely understand why some can be nervous. I completely understand why some can be upset. Most of us, likely have some combination of those as fans that are heavily emotionally invested in the team.

Players are going to look at it differently though. They're looking at salary, contract structure, being wanted and fitting with the coaches/schemes, chances of playoff money, teammates, facilities, community, proximity to home. I don't believe that they give any consideration to whether Len Rhodes is bringing in concerts, as long as he's letting football ops spend up to the cap. I don't believe that they give a lot of consideration to whether a club has moved on from their Cdn draft scout, so long as they believe that there will be competitive talent around them. As fans, we're absolutely likely to have our opinions coloured by those sort of things, but understanding that much of it is just noise to many of the players and doesn't affect them to the same degree, is generally helpful. They're impacted by different things than we are. For JC - he's lived and died for this team... one of the few pros that I've seen adopt an affinity and loyalty to their pro club that approximates that to their college team. He didn't leave because of the state of what's going on or uncertainty. If anything, I believe it would have kept him around to want to be part of fixing it.

Mike, himself, said it last season when the team was struggling in the fall - something along the lines of, I'm going to put a lot more stake in what we've consistently accomplished as an offence in this system over the past few years than the struggles we've had with it in the past month.

After not having a team take a chance on him after Ottawa balked at his contract demands and Toronto cutting him after he got hurt, I think Tank Reed (only 27 despite the experience and leadership) would jump at the chance to be back. While I too would rather have another season of Sherritt, we're not going to it appears, so looking at what we can do with that cap space is an interesting exercise with this free agent crop. Would it, for instance, allow for us to go younger at MLB and pay up to try and lure Willie Jefferson or Tyler Loffler?

It's also worth noting that leaders groom leaders. Listening to Aaron Grymes talk about the impact that JC had on him as a young pro and it becomes obvious that some of the lessons will rub off on others. Bringing back guys like AJ Gass and Jason Tucker will also help ensure that there are stories to pass on, lessons to learn, and if the Eskimo way isn't being respected by a player, he may just find that a certain equipment manager just puts his gear straight in the dryer a few times, skipping the washing machine... or shows up the next day to find the number 73 is now hanging in his locker.

While this off-season is scary for fans, just remember that there are still things happening behind the scenes. Go back a few weeks when we were losing coaches and scouts, not knowing what's going on, only to hear, a little later, that we'd added Gass, Tucker, Lolley, Fields, Turner and Merritt, and it reminds us that sometimes we're not going to see the cake until its baked.
    I agree that leaders groom leaders. My concern is almost everyone who was being groomed at a leader is already gone or a free agent and may not be back.
    Here is the depth chart from the last game. https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...ue-Bombers.pdf

On defense.
    Dline:
    Boateq: not signed, may not come back.
    Sewel: Back
    Ceresna: NFL
    Bazzie: Back

Linebakers:
    WLB: Konar, Mulumba are signed. Smith no signed.
    Middle: Sherritt retired, Jones not signed, Reed not signed.
    SLB: Edwards not signed.

Backfield:
    Grymes, Thompson, Maston(NFL), King(released), Woodman, Hightower are all free agents or gone.

Colquhoun is there, so is hoover and Onyeka.

So of the starting defense. They have 4 guys back, plus a couple of back ups. That's it. I am reluctant to count Colquhoun because the guy can't stay healthy and IMO you can't be a leader on defense if you are a back up. You have to be on the field.

Offense:
    Receivers. Their entire receiving core who played the last game is either gone or not signed, including back ups. Plus Stafford and Walker are free agents.
    QBs: They only have 1 QB - O-Brien- who was with them last year. Even their 4th stringer is gone.
    RBs: Gable is there. They traded for Jackson and even he isn't signed.
    FB's: None of their fullbacks are signed.
    Oline: I didn't think it was good but even that has 2 starters up for grabs. Bond and Kelly is are free agents.

SO if you could then up, 4 guys from their starting offense are back. So I am pretty concerned about who is going to take the torch of leadership because there are very few guys currently left.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

David William Naylor
    @TSNDaveNaylor

Hearing the @sskroughriders could have some interest in Chris Jones’ mentor, Phillip Lolley, who is DC with the @EdmontonEsks. Loads of experience but none as head coach as the pro or collegiate levels. #CFL #Riders
    6:22 AM - 17 Jan 2019

Enough of this ****...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    David William Naylor
    @TSNDaveNaylor

Hearing the @sskroughriders could have some interest in Chris Jones’ mentor, Phillip Lolley, who is DC with the @EdmontonEsks. Loads of experience but none as head coach as the pro or collegiate levels. #CFL #Riders

Enough of this ****...
    Not again. We might be in a Groundhog Day scenario.

vCash

Hugh O'Neil re-signed for two years, through 2020.

There's our first re-signing on the board!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    David William Naylor
    @TSNDaveNaylor

Enough of this ****...
    Actually this move makes a lot of sense from their point of view but it sucks from ours. Hopefully the fact that Lolleys girlfriend lives in St. Albert factors in.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I think everyone who goes to games was aware of this back in November, but it is now official...

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I think everyone who goes to games was aware of this back in November, but it is now official...

If you think you have the chops to call home games for the Esks, send your resume/reel to hr@esks.com and try out for 2019!

I don't think anyone on this board should apply though cause it would be too tempting to say the Esks are lead to the field by their head coach Jason Maas.....and they also have a @#$(#&$(#($&#$(&# @#$(&#$(&#$ with a @(#&$(# (@&#$(& as president in Len Rhodes
    In Rod we trust