Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I don't think anyone around here is gonna accuse Q of being a critical thinker.
    So you feel the need to resort to insulting my intelligence because you don't agree with my view points?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    So you feel the need to resort to insulting my intelligence because you don't agree with my view points?
    Your posts paint a pretty clear picture, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

vCash

Your posts paint a pretty clear picture, I'm just calling a spade a spade.
    Wow buddy. Well if you need to insult a person over the internet because of a difference of opinion about a sports team to make yourself feel better, have at it then. I am a big boy.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Wow buddy. Well if you need to insult a person over the internet because of a difference of opinion about a sports team to make yourself feel better, have at it then. I am a big boy.
    is that opinions or facts ?

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Certainly your connections are better than mine (which are none), so you may have some intel that the rest of us wouldn't, but does this truly mean it is obvious? He was looking, sure, but if he didn't find anything better maybe he decided it's better to stay the course.
    The Esks got their peepee's slapped behind the scenes by the league and Rhodent scrambled to get a PR article by Jones written up to do damage control with their head coach. It happened
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Technically all I did was make the observation that you come across as being very close minded. How you choose to take that is up to you I guess.

vCash

I can go back and find several quotes from you where you have insulted me if you like.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    You should maybe take a look at your own links, in 2015 Draheim started 13 games as well as the west semi final, in 2016 he played in 2 games PLUS the east final and the grey cup. While he didn't play in 2017 Ottawa was going with 1 international on the line and that guy was All star Sir Vincent Rogers. Sometimes the best deals to be had are the guys playing behind an all star. This is how the Preds got Pekka Rinne as he was playing behind Backstrom but wasn't getting a lot of playing time. Like you said replacing an All star in tough especially when you thought he was coming back.

You have also glossed over the fact that we signed one of the most highly sought after Guards in Travis Bond and this had to be at least part of reason O'Donnell was bumped out to Tackle.
    How could you possibly argue with FACTS such as Figueroa being an All-star. Never mind that he has never been named a divisional all-star in his CFL career, and only had three starts with the Esks in his first season (2016) despite being on the roster for 18 games. Prior to that, 8 starts in 2015 in Hamilton. How could someone who wasn't good enough to play the other 10 games ever amount to anything... ever?!?!

Draheim, while also not an all-star, is a guy that attracted enough interested to spend time on the PR of 6 NFL teams... sometimes it was only for a week or two, but there is talent there.

Of course, when someone believes it is a fact that the Esks didn't have other options at tackle last year, and doesn't know that they had Andrew Peterson and Kelvin Palmer (currently in Hamilton where he started both playoff games) around as American options, we're supposed to believe that we're dealing with "facts".

It's just amazing that Sunderland didn't just walk over the the all-star tackle store and see if he could find an immediately ready replacement to just sign a contract, step in and play. Instead, he tried to go with guys that they knew and had evaluated (Draheim), or had found (Peterson and Palmer) or traded for (Woods). It must just be a coincidence that there weren't any Stanley Bryants or SirVincent Rogers available that month.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    How could you possibly argue with FACTS such as Figueroa being an All-star. Never mind that he has never been named a divisional all-star in his CFL career, and only had three starts with the Esks in his first season (2016) despite being on the roster for 18 games. Prior to that, 8 starts in 2015 in Hamilton. How could someone who wasn't good enough to play the other 10 games ever amount to anything... ever?!?!

Draheim, while also not an all-star, is a guy that attracted enough interested to spend time on the PR of 6 NFL teams... sometimes it was only for a week or two, but there is talent there.

Of course, when someone believes it is a fact that the Esks didn't have other options at tackle last year, and doesn't know that they had Andrew Peterson and Kelvin Palmer (currently in Hamilton where he started both playoff games) around as American options, we're supposed to believe that we're dealing with "facts".

It's just amazing that Sunderland didn't just walk over the the all-star tackle store and see if he could find an immediately ready replacement to just sign a contract, step in and play. Instead, he tried to go with guys that they knew and had evaluated (Draheim), or had found (Peterson and Palmer) or traded for (Woods). It must just be a coincidence that there weren't any Stanley Bryants or SirVincent Rogers available that month.
    nevermind we picked up an allstar guard in Bond as well but that's being conveniently glossed over.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The Esks got their peepee's slapped behind the scenes by the league and Rhodent scrambled to get a PR article by Jones written up to do damage control with their head coach. It happened
    Yeah I've had that happen...not a lot of fun...I gotta stay out of those places
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

First, it's not a fact... not by any definition. Secondly, it's 100% second guessing with the benefit of hindsight. Thirdly, it's tremendously tenuous in terms of the measure you use.

You base this on the amount of sacks that Willis got in a different system and compare that to the number of sacks that Esks' players got ignoring every other facet of their play. (Willis - 11, Ceresna and Bazzie - 8 each) You're not looking at tackles, pressures, forcing turnovers, tackles for losses or anything else - just one stat, and drawing a senseless conclusion from it. The Esks tied for 1st in the league in sacks with 45... sacks were not their problem.

The decision has to be looked at with the information available at the time. a) Willis was not pleased with the DE rotation down the stretch in 2017 - do you think he might have made that known to coaches? (opinion) b) Willis was a guy closer to the end than the beginning of his career and earning a healthy veteran salary (fact) c) Jake was entering his second year in the CFL and on a rookie contract (fact) d) The Esks had a guy that the coveted in Free Agency at the position and a belief that they wanted to promote Boateng to starters' reps. (opinion) They go out and get Ceresna in the trade, and you're going to hold the move against the GM because the guy played well enough to warrant an NFL contract? Seriously? That's your case? Bad trade because the younger, cheaper guy played too good?!

He was brought in to be assignment perfect - to be defensively responsible while applying pressure to the QBs. Sacks, as mentioned above, are not the only measure and definitely not what he was brought in for. That's a simplistic assessment.

Would Willis have had better production in the Esks system last year than Bazzie? Opinion at best, and relies on the trade being measured based only on one season when you're trading a 34 year old player for a 28 year old player.

Bazzie didn't live up to my expectations (opinion) - I have no idea if he lived up to the expectations of his coaches and GM, but I do know that he was signed to more than a one-year deal (fact) so we should continue to see a widening gap in their performance going forward (opinion).

Cummings and Bowers were elements that were beyond the control of the GM last year. Addition of Ceresna to shore up losses was a solid move. How do you factor it into a GM's evaluation when he loses a player to an opportunity to coach at his Alma Mater, close to home and for more money? You make a good move, controlling what you can, and you suffer some losses beyond your control, and it's cited as a negative?!
    Purely based on stats it's easy to make a case that Bazzie did provide an upgrade on Willis.

Over his last 2 years in Edmonton Willis averaged 17GP with 22.5 tackles and 8 sacks. Bazzie comes in and nearly doubles Odell's tackle numbers with 39 tackles and matches the 8 sacks number. Yeah Odell had 11 sacks in BC. That was also his best number since 2014 and 2nd best since 2011. He also had another 22 tackle performance.

Bazzie 39 DT and 8 sacks
    Willis 22 DT and 11 sacks
    Did the Esks really suffer in that tradeoff?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Purely based on stats it's easy to make a case that Bazzie did provide an upgrade on Willis.

Over his last 2 years in Edmonton Willis averaged 17GP with 22.5 tackles and 8 sacks. Bazzie comes in and nearly doubles Odell's tackle numbers with 39 tackles and matches the 8 sacks number. Yeah Odell had 11 sacks in BC. That was also his best number since 2014 and 2nd best since 2011. He also had another 22 tackle performance.

Bazzie 39 DT and 8 sacks
    coming from a Lions fan this isn't looking through green and gold glasses

vCash

i can totally see that happening. While I'm willing to give Maas one more shot in a season where he doesn't have to call the Offense - more childish outburts will quickly sour me on him.

The Esks badly need to get away from Rhodent. Ya know they do have a history of spreading the plague. Lucky us

vCash

coming from a Lions fan this isn't looking through green and gold glasses
    Part of it comes from watching Wally move on from aging vets. I don't mind my team making those decisions and base it on the theory that better to do it a year too early than a year too late. While most he moved on from merely continued to decline and were usually out of the league within a year or two I don't think that Wally for a minute cried over spilt milk if the player he moved on from went on to be very productive for a couple more years. I think he was happy for the player. I carry the same attitude. In the case of Willis while the 11 sacks look impressive that was within BC's system and working with the other members of the DL rotation. There is no way of telling if he would have put up better numbers in Edmonton had he stayed or if they would have declined further.

vCash

But what does that say about you?
    That I manage to disagree in a kind & gentle & non-threatening manner .... and that I choose to let a lot of things go because it’s not worth it

Hmmm sounds familiar......

nevermind we picked up an allstar guard in Bond as well but that's being conveniently glossed over.
    An overweight, out of shape, possibly over-rated all-star, but he was serviceable.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    That I manage to disagree in a kind & gentle & non-threatening manner .... and that I choose to let a lot of things go because it’s not worth it

An overweight, out of shape, possibly over-rated all-star, but he was serviceable.
    I need to be a little more like smartie I think but sometimes its hard to ignor.

As far as Bond, you could absolutely be right on that one but honestly I've never spent enough time evaluating the line to comment one way or the other.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post

Bazzie 39 DT and 8 sacks
    Bazzie had so many RB footprints on his back from being run over that one would swear he had tattoos done. Our Run D was the worst in a long time and most of it was over the edges
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Great the got Bond. A few simple questions.
    When Draheim (a tackle) went down for just about 3/4 of the season, did they have a tackle to replace him?
    No they didn't.

Who played left tackle for 3/4 of the season?
    O'Donnell.

What position does O'Donnell normally play and has played for multiple years and excelled at?
    Guard.

Where did O'Donnell go as soon as Draheim could play?
    Back to his natural position, Guard.

Why did he move back after playing 3/4 of the year at tackle?
    Because he's a freaking guard and that is where he plays best.

What position was Bond?
    A guard.

What position did the Esks need to replace due to injury but also lacked depth at?
    Tackle.

Does signing Bond address those needs?
    No it does not.

Did Bond do just fine at GUARD?
    Yup, he sure did. At the guard position, he was good. No issue with him playing guard.

When did the Esks Oline settle down after having a real rough middle part of the season?
    When Draheim came back from injury, a natural TACKLE, that allowed O'Donnell to slide to GUARD, his normal position. So the Esks could dress 2 natural tackles, 2 natural guards and a center. SHOCKINGLY, when you have a 5 man unit all playing their normal positions, the Oline plays better. WOW!!!!

Here is a question that I admit is a bit based on my opinion.

Even though Bond played just fine at GUARD, when an injury happened to one of your few TACKLES and the Esks had no other TACKLES to replace him, would it probably have been a good idea to go out and try to find a TACKLE first before signing another GUARD a barely a week after he was released?
    Just my opinion but most of the time on any sports team, you usually get better results if you play players in their normal position so it may have been a good idea to try to get a natural tackle. Even if you really want Bond, go get him but don't stop looking for a tackle. Draheim went done in GAME 1. So mid June. He only played in 4 games total. So that means he didn't come back til mid Oct. So that is 4 months. The Esks had 4 months to go find a tackle. After Bond, in 4 months, did they sign an Olineman at all? I can't think of one.

- - - Updated - - -

Bazzie had so many RB footprints on his back from being run over that one would swear he had tattoos done. Our Run D was the worst in a long time and most of it was over the edges
    It's kind of funny. Every time someone tries to justify Bazzie, they immediately list off his tackles. Other than linebackers who are supposed to have lots of tackles because they are all over the field, when a certain non linebacker has a lot of tackles. That means the team is scheming to go after his area because they see him as a weak spot. Teams ran at him A LOT and avoided the other side of the line because they didn't think they would do very well going there.

vCash

Great the got Bond. A few simple questions.
    When Draheim (a tackle) went down for just about 3/4 of the season, did they have a tackle to replace him?
    No they didn't.

Who played left tackle for 3/4 of the season?
    O'Donnell.

What position does O'Donnell normally play and has played for multiple years and excelled at?
    Guard.

Where did O'Donnell go as soon as Draheim could play?
    Back to his natural position, Guard.

Why did he move back after playing 3/4 of the year at tackle?
    Because he's a freaking guard and that is where he plays best.

What position was Bond?
    A guard.

What position did the Esks need to replace due to injury but also lacked depth at?
    Tackle.

Does signing Bond address those needs?
    No it does not.

Did Bond do just fine at GUARD?
    Yup, he sure did. At the guard position, he was good. No issue with him playing guard.

When did the Esks Oline settle down after having a real rough middle part of the season?
    When Draheim came back from injury, a natural TACKLE, that allowed O'Donnell to slide to GUARD, his normal position. So the Esks could dress 2 natural tackles, 2 natural guards and a center. SHOCKINGLY, when you have a 5 man unit all playing their normal positions, the Oline plays better. WOW!!!!

Here is a question that I admit is a bit based on my opinion.

Even though Bond played just fine at GUARD, when an injury happened to one of your few TACKLES and the Esks had no other TACKLES to replace him, would it probably have been a good idea to go out and try to find a TACKLE first before signing another GUARD a barely a week after he was released?
    Just my opinion but most of the time on any sports team, you usually get better results if you play players in their normal position so it may have been a good idea to try to get a natural tackle. Even if you really want Bond, go get him but don't stop looking for a tackle. Draheim went done in GAME 1. So mid June. He only played in 4 games total. So that means he didn't come back til mid Oct. So that is 4 months. The Esks had 4 months to go find a tackle. After Bond, in 4 months, did they sign an Olineman at all? I can't think of one.

Does Bond play
    very condescending but I'm not surprised by that. A few things you are forgetting, YES we did have more tackles on the roster as GWN pointed out but you haven't factored in the ratio. I don't fault Maas at all for bumping O'Donnell to tackle as that's the only way you were going to keep the ratio intact while adding Bond to the lineup.

your venom is pointed in the wrong direction on this one as Maas had options but chose his own lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

It's kind of funny. Every time someone tries to justify Bazzie, they immediately list off his tackles. Other than linebackers who are supposed to have lots of tackles because they are all over the field, when a certain non linebacker has a lot of tackles. That means the team is scheming to go after his area because they see him as a weak spot. Teams ran at him A LOT and avoided the other side of the line because they didn't think they would do very well going there.
    I think its funny how you know what the coaches asked him to do and that you have falsely attributed his tackles as being ran at. I would be willing to bet that at least half of them were him tracking from the backside.

vCash

I'm not sure what our 2017 numbers were, but in 2018 we gave up 108 yards rushing per game (6th in the league). Not good, and perhaps part of the reason why Bene was not brought back. BC Lions (in comparison) gave up 113.5 yards per game.

FOLLOW UP
    Sorry, just found 2017's numbers so I thought I'd post.
    We gave up less rushing yards per game in 2017 (98.1), but were 8th in the league. Also by comparison, the Lions had a much better 2017 finishing second in the league allowing only 84.3 yards per game - huge swing of almost 30 yards per game in one season - I guess that's why their old DC isn't there as well.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-11-2019 at 10:42 AM.

vCash

It's not like O'Donnell never played tackle before. He started there at Queen's, he played there in Cincinnati's training camp, and he's played there for the Esks before. He's a smart, athletic player. I didn't really think he was an issue on the outside. When Draheim went down, the Esks were able to get an all-star guard on the cheap and not break ratio. That's not bad. I would bet Bond cost less than any proven tackle, if even there was such a player available at the time. I don't imagine the Esks had a ton of salary flexibility.

And I don't think a lot of Edmonton's sacks and pressures were because of a faulty line, myself. Maas almost never continued with use of his running game, despite having a good back in Gable and guys like Bond and O'Donnell, who would probably be better known as run blockers than pass blockers. Whether by design or not, Reilly also seemed to default to the deep ball this year, rather than hitting receivers on short check-down routes, screens, etc. Without a varied offence, you stand a good chance of getting your QB killed, regardless of what you have on that line.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm not sure what our 2017 numbers were, but in 2018 we gave up 108 yards rushing per game (6th in the league). Not good, and perhaps part of the reason why Bene was not brought back. BC Lions (in comparison) gave up 113.5 yards per game.
    In 2017 we gave up 1766 rushing yards on 300 attempts (5.9 yards per rush) or 98.1 yards per game, compared to 1953 yards on 353 attempts (5.5 yards per rush) or 108.5 per game in 2018. So in 2018 we were giving up less yards per rush but the attempts against us went up by almost 3 per game. This can be attributed to a few things, either our offence was producing to the same level therefore giving the opponents offence more plays, the other teams offensive strategy or the rate of success they had with the rush.

vCash

In 2017 we gave up 1766 rushing yards on 300 attempts (5.9 yards per rush) or 98.1 yards per game, compared to 1953 yards on 353 attempts (5.5 yards per rush) or 108.5 per game in 2018. So in 2018 we were giving up less yards per rush but the attempts against us went up by almost 3 per game. This can be attributed to a few things, either our offence was producing to the same level therefore giving the opponents offence more plays, the other teams offensive strategy or the rate of success they had with the rush.
    I've always felt this way. It's easy (and fun) to look at a specific stat, but it's a small part of a very big picture. Yes, it is an important measuring tool, but I'm certain our coaches have many things they are measuring that we aren't even looking at. It was mentioned in the thread earlier, that players may have specific assignments that might curb their stats, but contribute to the overall success of the team. I think too many of us (I know I am guilty), take some numbers and base arguments strictly on those numbers.
    Bottom line, we were a .500 football club that missed the playoffs; we need to be better this season, and despite the CBA in stall mode, the pending FA's and the defections to the NFL, I'm feeling good about things. I think most of our worries are the same worries fans of other clubs are experiencing.

vCash

I need to be a little more like smartie I think but sometimes its hard to ignor.

As far as Bond, you could absolutely be right on that one but honestly I've never spent enough time evaluating the line to comment one way or the other.
    I wasn’t referring to Q specifically, it was more in general with everyone on here. Similarly, it’s cool if people disagree with me (even tho I’m right haha), we’re all entitled to our opinions, but some people are super not cool with what they say/how they say it when not in agreement.

Q has valid concerns & points; sometimes the delivery throws people off.

vCash

Or that Edmonton wasn't as good a team and as such more of the games were close and more of the games the other team was leading late which often leads to more run plays called late in a game than if a team is trailing especially if they are trailing by a significant amount of points.

Or another scenario could be that teams had the ball for more offensive plays per game. We weren't as strong a ball possession team this year as the year prior.

___
    Nevermind the second scenario. The opposition had exactly 955 plays from Scrimmage both years, so teams did select run plays 37% of the time this year vs. 31% of the time the previous year. The first scenario I present could still be a factor though.

___
    On further analysis, league wide teams ran the ball on 36% of plays from scrimmage in 2018 vs. 31% in 2017, so a large part of it could simply be that the league was more of a running league last year than in 2017.
    Last edited by bone; 01-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I wasn’t referring to Q specifically, it was more in general with everyone on here. Similarly, it’s cool if people disagree with me (even tho I’m right haha), we’re all entitled to our opinions, but some people are super not cool with what they say/how they say it when not in agreement.

Q has valid concerns & points; sometimes the delivery throws people off.
    Agreed there are always going to be concerns with a team that misses the playoffs but at 9-9 in a division where no one finished below 500, I would argue that tweeks are needed not overhauls.

vCash

very condescending but I'm not surprised by that. A few things you are forgetting, YES we did have more tackles on the roster as GWN pointed out but you haven't factored in the ratio. I don't fault Maas at all for bumping O'Donnell to tackle as that's the only way you were going to keep the ratio intact while adding Bond to the lineup.

your venom is pointed in the wrong direction on this one as Maas had options but chose his own lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its funny how you know what the coaches asked him to do and that you have falsely attributed his tackles as being ran at. I would be willing to bet that at least half of them were him tracking from the backside.
    Let’s not forget soly won an mop by tackling players 18-20 yards down field!
    Sherrit has his best year when he broke the record for tackles... most 15-30 yards downfield!

Stats and numbers can be moulded to suit any arguments

Our run defence was a problem the entire three years under Bene no matter who was in there, hopefully we see some improvement there under Lolly.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 01-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.

vCash

My recollection, not drawn from the stats, is that we were hit and miss on run defence... often quite stout and taking it away from the opponent, and then giving up a big play. Much of what I'm recalling was a challenge with the front 7 as a whole, not just the D-line, and there were numerous times where I remember teams getting through and isolating Sherritt on a blocker and him having to commit to a side, only to not have the support to assist. We had other occasions where LBs were getting caught up in the wash of the line.

I know that Lolley is hoping to get faster on defence this year, and he's going to be drilling into guys to be accountable and responsible. He's going to come from the mold of Jones where he wants athletes that are coachable and not guys that go after stats while neglecting other responsibilities. It remains to be seen how much input he'll have into personnel brought in, but I'm excited to see the shift in our approach. I think we improved a lot as the season progressed last year, but we had key letdowns and remained exploitable at times in the second half of the season. To have the continuity of returning coaches in Maxie and Miles, along with mixing in Lolley and Fields and having a big free agency year with some key pieces (Sewell, Sherritt, Konar, Mulamba, Bazzie) still under contract, has me optimistic for improvement defensively.