Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Happy we signed Reed, but those receivers !!! Hope Mike doesn't see that or he'll be out tonight buying travel luggage.
    I like the Reed signing, I'm OK with the Shaw signing as he has been a 1,000 yard receiver before but hopefully we can do better than Elliot coming out of camp.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Happy we signed Reed, but those receivers !!! Hope Mike doesn't see that or he'll be out tonight buying travel luggage.
    You are right. Reed is the most important signing of the lot. Shaw is only 27 and had 1000 yards with the Argos back in 2016, so he can do it. I think Elliott will have to earn his way onto the post-training-camp roster.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    3 games with Sask
    11 catches for 153 yards
    so about 51 yards a game when your QBs are Collaros/Bridge/Watford actually isn't that bad.
    He's 27 so he should be in his prime if he's going to have one
    In Rod we trust

vCash

The Reed signing became real important after JC’s retirement.
    As for Shaw & Elliott, good for depth receivers in any other year...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    We starting a senior team??
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    so about 51 yards a game when your QBs are Collaros/Bridge/Watford actually isn't that bad.
    He's 27 so he should be in his prime if he's going to have one
    Reed is also only 27. He's played in two Grey Cups (lost with Hamilton and won with Ottawa), been a CFLPA rep, and has also recently experienced the other side of the game... being without a team. His contract demands had him too rich for Ottawa last off-season, coming off a 94 tackle season, and he ended up in Toronto, where he was deemed a replacement for Bear Woods but got hurt. You don't "replace" a JC Sherritt, either on the field or off, but Reed has leadership skills and experience beyond what his age would suggest.

The receivers are CFL-level talent, but they aren't who we'd like to ultimately be lining up in the starting four based on what they've put on film to date recently. I have no issue with the signings to add depth and competition, and you never know when a guy may break out and click with a system.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    You're right that Lulay is not signing elsewhere.

You're wrong that he represents the worst case scenario as a fall back. Travis hasn't decided whether he's coming back to play another year. He went through the process last year, only to decide that he had enough left in him to do it... then he had to again battle injuries in-season. The toll that those take on the body and mind, particularly as we age and don't heal as fast, is not to be under-estimated. He's done a great job of prepping for a career after football in broadcasting, and it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to hang them up.

Do you believe the likely plan B or plan C, for the Esks, in the event that Reilly doesn't sign, is going to be less capable than Lulay over the course of 18 games? You know that we're not entering the season with only one QB on our roster right?

If the Lions miss on Reilly, Lulay hangs them up and they can't go back to Jennings, if they're not able to make a trade, who are the choosing between? Collaros, Bridge, Fajardo? Are either Calgary or Sask going to be in there competing for those same guys if Reilly is in Edmonton and Bo heads south? Lots of "if's" for sure, but if each of them has a 50-50 shot of happening and may even be inter-dependent, there is viable path to a much different worst case.
    BC has Ricky Lloyd, who was on their PR last year. For what itís worth, I think he has potential.

vCash

Always liked Shaw...could be a nice add with no Williams and Mitchell. With Reilly, Shaw could be NFL bound after a year. Don’t think I can remember a team losing more WR to NFL then the Esks over the years. Started with Walker, last season Zylsra and now Williams and Mitchel. Hope trend continues with Reilly hopefully in the fold.

As mention. If Reilly get offered huge money (BC/Sask), BS will have some tough decisions. Not sure in CFL cap can be justified paying 1 player over 650 000 per season. That a lot of money that can be put into bringing in CFL proven players for other positions (LB, DB and WR).

My 3 cents...

vCash
    Blog Entries

I don’t have much time to get into game shape but I can still run a clean route! I’ll be a WR again! No problem. They need some experienced veteran leadership... LOL
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Always liked Shaw...could be a nice add with no Williams and Mitchell. With Reilly, Shaw could be NFL bound after a year. Don’t think I can remember a team losing more WR to NFL then the Esks over the years. Started with Walker, last season Zylsra and now Williams and Mitchel. Hope trend continues with Reilly hopefully in the fold.

As mention. If Reilly get offered huge money (BC/Sask), BS will have some tough decisions. Not sure in CFL cap can be justified paying 1 player over 650 000 per season. That a lot of money that can be put into bringing in CFL proven players for other positions (LB, DB and WR).

My 3 cents...

I wonder if there is any chance that the players association and the league could work a franchise player exemption into the next CBA? Every team could designate one player as a franchise player and that player’s salary, or at least a portion of it would not count against the cap.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I wonder if there is any chance that the players association and the league could work a franchise player exemption into the next CBA? Every team could designate one player as a franchise player and that player’s salary, or at least a portion of it would not count against the cap.
    Cant see the teams agreeing to that as then the riders would have the top QB every year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Cant see the teams agreeing to that as then the riders would have the top QB every year.
    Think (hope?) I hear sarcasm, but not sure haha

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Reed is also only 27. He's played in two Grey Cups (lost with Hamilton and won with Ottawa), been a CFLPA rep, and has also recently experienced the other side of the game... being without a team. His contract demands had him too rich for Ottawa last off-season, coming off a 94 tackle season, and he ended up in Toronto, where he was deemed a replacement for Bear Woods but got hurt. You don't "replace" a JC Sherritt, either on the field or off, but Reed has leadership skills and experience beyond what his age would suggest.

The receivers are CFL-level talent, but they aren't who we'd like to ultimately be lining up in the starting four based on what they've put on film to date recently. I have no issue with the signings to add depth and competition, and you never know when a guy may break out and click with a system.
    We'll have to disagree on that one I think Shaw could be in the top 4 and could be a 1000 yard receiver again with the right scheme and a proper QB
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Think (hope?) I hear sarcasm, but not sure haha
    Haha not really sarcastic, they have the most money to spend, if there was a franchise player tag, they would be offering the Reillys of the world Rediculous dollars