Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1282

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    And that's before whoever we add at the upcoming draft.
    Just for curiosity sake I compared the games played by nationals currently on the Lions and Eskies and found that the Lions have 1,087 games played and the Eskies have 1,155 WITHOUT and Olineman numbers as for some reason they have their defensive stats listed on the Eskies website, listing O'Donnell as having 36 games played.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I have a suspicion that Konar could be the surprise cut/cap-casualty this season. If memory serves me correct, he was signed last off season for a fairly hefty pirice tag ($140,000). If the plan is not have him occupy one of the 7 National starter spots, he is a expensive national back-up. CMT is most likely cheaper and not much if any drop in production. I have a feeling that they are going to want to go with a International LB core with our new additions.

All speculation.....
    You could be right that he may not be in the plans as a starter, and perhaps we may not be able to justify the salary if he isn't starting... but I cannot see him being cut. A starting caliber Canadian LB would be a valuable trade chip.

Both BC (I believe) and Sask will likely be looking to go with a Canadian LB, as will Montreal. Konar would be an interesting rotational fit in BC was initially drafted by Ed, and is the kind of story that they seem to be interested in with his dad playing there. He'd likely be an upgrade in Sask (over Hurl and Judge). Montreal is perhaps less of a fit, but with Muamba starting at MAC, if he goes down, having Konar able to step in at WIL to offset any ratio change could be enticing. Calgary is also having to deal with losing Singleton as a starting Cdn in their linebacking corps, and with Sherritt there coaching, there is a connection. No, I don't see him being a cut, but there is a possibility that he doesn't remain an Eskimo.

One thing we know is that injuries can pop up at that position and if he can fit the scheme that Lolley is installing, it's always nice to have Canadian talent that can play.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    You could be right that he may not be in the plans as a starter, and perhaps we may not be able to justify the salary if he isn't starting... but I cannot see him being cut. A starting caliber Canadian LB would be a valuable trade chip.

Both BC (I believe) and Sask will likely be looking to go with a Canadian LB, as will Montreal. Konar would be an interesting rotational fit in BC was initially drafted by Ed, and is the kind of story that they seem to be interested in with his dad playing there. He'd likely be an upgrade in Sask (over Hurl and Judge). Montreal is perhaps less of a fit, but with Muamba starting at MAC, if he goes down, having Konar able to step in at WIL to offset any ratio change could be enticing. Calgary is also having to deal with losing Singleton as a starting Cdn in their linebacking corps, and with Sherritt there coaching, there is a connection. No, I don't see him being a cut, but there is a possibility that he doesn't remain an Eskimo.

One thing we know is that injuries can pop up at that position and if he can fit the scheme that Lolley is installing, it's always nice to have Canadian talent that can play.
    Calgary would love him after losing Singleton. He played at UofC so there is some local connections.
    Calgary always has great CDN depth, but with their plan to play 3 imports on the O-Line, and the loss of Singleton, I think they need another Canadian starter. Right now they might be penciling Greenwood in to start(?) He is a great player but is older and has a long injury history.

vCash

Do you think the Eskimos might re-structure his contract & keep him as a back up (Konar)?

Although he has high value as a Canadian linebacker, don’t you think his injury history greatly diminishes that value? I suppose the maple leaf means lesser returns rather than none...

That being said, if I was a GM & had a need, I would take him if it was a more incentive-laden contract with a lower base amount, but it’s a trade...so I would look into re-negotiating before making the trade, I guess.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Do you think the Eskimos might re-structure his contract & keep him as a back up (Konar)?

Although he has high value as a Canadian linebacker, don’t you think his injury history greatly diminishes that value? I suppose the maple leaf means lesser returns rather than none...

That being said, if I was a GM & had a need, I would take him if it was a more incentive-laden contract with a lower base amount, but it’s a trade...so I would look into re-negotiating before making the trade, I guess.
    I'm not sure who his agent is or whether he'd take a restructured deal, or whether he'd just ask for his release. I'm guessing that he only has this year left on the deal, so a team's not trading for him with 3 years left at the current salary. Sometimes, getting a guy like that in the fold, allows you to have the upper hand in re-upping him at a more cap-friendly rate... or at least assessing how he fits once they determine where the cap is. Anyone likely looking for a Cdn LB that is capable of playing as a starter or rotational guy has a reasonably good budget for the position. Being paid what he is maybe puts him $20k over that (less if you get to 6-game him at some point ).

As for the injury concern, I'm always intrigued as to how football ops guys look at that differently than fans do. For one, in a smallish league, you don't have to work too hard to find out a guy's reputation, whether he sits out for the smallest things, or plays through pain. For another, they're going to be able to assess what are recurring injury (shoulders, hamstrings, etc and whether he's at higher risk of reinjuring it), assess whether its a style of play thing where the guy puts himself at risk, or whether it's one of those cases where the guy doesn't have enough Gumby in him and when he gets hit, twisted, turned, etc, something gives. By contrast, as fans, it's usually a binary thing for us - he plays or he doesn't, and if he doesn't play with any frequency, he can get a knock as being injury-prone... even if it's breaking a hand when hitting a helmet, tearing an ACL on a chop block and maybe a concussion on a late hit - all unrelated football injuries rather than something that appears as a pattern.

Curious to see what sort of a return he would bring if, in fact, he is traded... but would happily have him back as an Esk for 2019 and just work to find a way to use him.

vCash

I'm not sure who his agent is or whether he'd take a restructured deal, or whether he'd just ask for his release. I'm guessing that he only has this year left on the deal, so a team's not trading for him with 3 years left at the current salary. Sometimes, getting a guy like that in the fold, allows you to have the upper hand in re-upping him at a more cap-friendly rate... or at least assessing how he fits once they determine where the cap is. Anyone likely looking for a Cdn LB that is capable of playing as a starter or rotational guy has a reasonably good budget for the position. Being paid what he is maybe puts him $20k over that (less if you get to 6-game him at some point ).

As for the injury concern, I'm always intrigued as to how football ops guys look at that differently than fans do. For one, in a smallish league, you don't have to work too hard to find out a guy's reputation, whether he sits out for the smallest things, or plays through pain. For another, they're going to be able to assess what are recurring injury (shoulders, hamstrings, etc and whether he's at higher risk of reinjuring it), assess whether its a style of play thing where the guy puts himself at risk, or whether it's one of those cases where the guy doesn't have enough Gumby in him and when he gets hit, twisted, turned, etc, something gives. By contrast, as fans, it's usually a binary thing for us - he plays or he doesn't, and if he doesn't play with any frequency, he can get a knock as being injury-prone... even if it's breaking a hand when hitting a helmet, tearing an ACL on a chop block and maybe a concussion on a late hit - all unrelated football injuries rather than something that appears as a pattern.

Curious to see what sort of a return he would bring if, in fact, he is traded... but would happily have him back as an Esk for 2019 and just work to find a way to use him.
    I'm wondering if we are going to be seeing some 3 man fronts, allowing for them to use Konnar/ CMT for the 4th guy or we could see a situation where he goes in when Boateng goes out. Either way, I cannot see us cutting him out right as he is an above average Canadian starter.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

As long as he can stay healthy that will turn out to be a great signing. Don't know how much he signed for but worth the gamble IMO.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Only problem with that theory is that more often than not it's Konar who is the injured one. In 4 seasons he's had 5 stints on the 6 game and 12 GP is his career high. It's been a tough road to hoe for Konar. Too bad he hasn't enjoyed his old man's durability. Kevin missed only 6 games in 10 years with 5 of them coming in his 10th and final season. Adam's getting to the point where the bigger question is simply how many games will he miss and the linebacker position is not kind on the player's body. That has to play into the minds of any possible trading partners. Hopefully he can put it all together this year and stay on the field. It would be great for both him and the Esks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Only problem with that theory is that more often than not it's Konar who is the injured one. In 4 seasons he's had 5 stints on the 6 game and 12 GP is his career high. It's been a tough road to hoe for Konar. Too bad he hasn't enjoyed his old man's durability. Kevin missed only 6 games in 10 years with 5 of them coming in his 10th and final season. Adam's getting to the point where the bigger question is simply how many games will he miss and the linebacker position is not kind on the player's body. That has to play into the minds of any possible trading partners. Hopefully he can put it all together this year and stay on the field. It would be great for both him and the Esks.
    Fair enough. As I pointed to earlier, for some, there might be patterns, but I'd be curious to see how football people evaluate his likelihood of injury going forward.

Take Lulay for an example... with his shoulder and the recurring nature of the issues, it's fair to likely tag that as "prone" to being re-injured. If he took a helmet to the body that cracked ribs, or a late hit that blows up his ACL/PCL, it's generally seen as an unrelated football injury more than a pattern... at least a physical pattern. There is the possibility, for guys like Konar, who play a consistently violent position, that there is also a pattern of putting himself in positions to be hurt, that his body is just, for whatever reason, more likely to give rather than stretch, etc... but that's tougher for us to evaluate. I believe that Konar had a broken thumb that ended his season in his first year, an injury to start and end the season in 2016 (can't recall what), a leg injury in 2017, and I'm not sure what the 2018 injury was, but I'm kind of thinking it was maybe hamstring? He's been back for playoffs in 2016 and 2017.

I'm not saying that he'll play all 18 games or that injury history shouldn't be a concern, but I am saying that if there was a more apparent pattern of a specific type of injury being recurring, I'd be more likely to use history as a predictor of the future.

vCash
    Blog Entries

^That, or he might end up being the Jesse Lumsden of linebackers...willpower of steel, body of glass, and any hit on any part of the body has a higher-than-normal potential to cause injury.

I hope that's not the case, but I can't help but wonder.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Just can’t stay healthy.....

vCash

Great article detailing the stats between Reilly and Harris

https://lastwordoncanadianfootball.c...TNkyU2zjkvS8Bk

vCash

pretty sure I just saw Terrence Bullitt .
    Free agent after getting cut from AAF it looks like...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrance_Bullitt
    at a Subway downtown.

Might he be re-signing with us...
    No other reason for him to be here

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    pretty sure I just saw Terrence Bullitt .
    Free agent after getting cut from AAF it looks like...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrance_Bullitt
    at a Subway downtown.

Might he be re-signing with us...
    No other reason for him to be here
    It wasn't him (unfortunately). I texted him, and he's at home in Texas running his gym and training centre. He's been offered other CFL contracts but has not accepted anything.

Truly good dude - you got my hopes up.

vCash

It wasn't him (unfortunately). I texted him, and he's at home in Texas running his gym and training centre. He's been offered other CFL contracts but has not accepted anything.

Truly good dude - you got my hopes up.
    ah damn...i guess it wasnt him then...although i did literally look thru the roster photos to verify the name of who it was cause it was bothering me , was on tip of my tongue..

but now its bothering me and im trying to figure out who it was lol....

vCash
    Blog Entries

Not sure if it matters, but I saw Mondo at Costco a month and a half ago.

Yeah, he lives here year round, but it was still kind of fun. (And no, I didn't approach him on his personal time. I know better than that! )
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Not sure if it matters, but I saw Mondo at Costco a month and a half ago.

Yeah, he lives here year round, but it was still kind of fun. (And no, I didn't approach him on his personal time. I know better than that! )
    was he buying 24 chickens for a light snack?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    to be fair, ive seen the guy at Mikado Sushi couple years ago.

Sushi is fairly "light" so...

vCash
    Blog Entries

I might've seen some Kirkland steaks and Hi-Chews...

vCash

I might've seen some Kirkland steaks and Hi-Chews...
    I've seen him that man looks like he could eat a whole lotta steaks. I remember hearing how much he can bench and squat and I was like whoa
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

I remember hearing how much he can bench and squat and I was like whoa
    More than Rod Black?

Man, camp can't get here soon enough.

vCash

More than Rod Black?

Man, camp can't get here soon enough.
    Not a fair comparaison Mondo is strong but he isn't secretly a super hero
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Not a fair comparaison Mondo is strong but he isn't secretly a super hero
    Clearly you've never met the man.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Clearly you've never met the man.
    Clearly you don't know the REAL Rod Black

bp.jpg
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Fred Stamps signed to a one day contract to retire as an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    excellent!!!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

So awesome!

vCash

Nothing but major love and respect for Freddy duece!

The best weapon on a mediocre eskimos team! If only he would have been around to get his ring in 15

Glad your retiring an eskimo!