Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Very happy with the coaching staff...

Don’t know much about the scouting dept.. I might have to do some research ...
    Turner seems to be a nice addition, should have a decent connections. Very happy with the Lolley hire but will he run a similar system as he's been in or does he do his own thing?
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Turner seems to be a nice addition, should have a decent connections. Very happy with the Lolley hire but will he run a similar system as he's been in or does he do his own thing?
    No idea on lolleys system ..but he has been around jones for a long time.. and he was almost dc at Hamilton last year...so he’s an anomaly, which is kinda exciting!

vCash

I like how our coaching staff has rounded out. Like others, not sure about the scouting team, but they seem to have some history in the game.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Glad we got Lolley. He's been around Jones for a while now and I've got to think that defensive style has rubbed off. Looking forward to seeing a much more aggressive D this year.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Both Lolley & Tucker are solid hires....
    Lolley was here previously under Jones & then bolted with him & the others to the Sliders. Sure hope he brings a different approach to the D than the vanilla schemes that Benevides employed...

vCash

I think I remember when Lolley was first hired under Jones that the two of them go waaay back and Jones learned under him at one point in his career as well. Hopefully means a more aggressive D where guys can run and hit more freely
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SandManFan View Post
    I think I remember when Lolley was first hired under Jones that the two of them go waaay back and Jones learned under him at one point in his career as well. Hopefully means a more aggressive D where guys can run and hit more freely
    Yea I remember that story..

I’m all for a more aggressive defence

vCash

Very happy with Lolley, Tucker, and Gass. Good fits and some experience in all three phases. Might have liked another veteran coach on offensive side, but coaching looks good.

On the scouting side, Turner seems to have good experience and I like the versatility with arena ball and the NFL. There should be a good pipeline.

I like that Sunderland appears ready to go with his own guys, but I’m a little pensive there doesn’t appear to be a lot of CFL experience there. You do look for a bit different skill set as a scout. I think Turner will adapt and be fine, but it wouldn’t hurt to have that guy who knows Canadian schemes inside and out,

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

vCash

Good listen on ched

Turns out jones wasn’t let go after all.. just poached him... oh well..

I like the cut of Turner!

vCash

I am hoping there is a lot of heavy negotiation going on between ambrosie and the pa right now and they are just keeping it quiet and we will soon have a deal. No CBA is really making it tough in teams in this league.

vCash

WHOA!

Torrey Hunter has been suspended by the BC Lions as he was using an anonymous Twitter account to bash the Eskimos organization.

TSN just posted it.
    Last edited by Jtuck09; 01-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    WHOA!

Torrey Hunter has been suspended by the CFL as he was using an anonymous Twitter account to bash the Eskimos organization.

TSN just posted it.
    No way.. that’s not true

- - - Updated - - -

Goddamn it is true!

What was the account @?

Doesn’t his son play for us???

vCash

No way.. that’s not true

- - - Updated - - -

Goddamn it is true!

What was the account @?

Doesn’t his son play for us???
    Money Hunter's dad is baseball player Torii Hunter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Money Hunter's dad is baseball player Torii Hunter.
    That makes WAY more sense! Lol

vCash

I can't post Tweets for the life of me but Dave Campbell is saying he got into with his burner Twitter account around Thanksgiving. Said the Eskimos informed him they knew it was his account and have known for a while.

vCash

Might explain why he isn't listed on the Lions website:

Here's a link to the story:

https://www.tsn.ca/lions-suspend-sta...ount-1.1235586

Not a very good look for Torey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Esks didn't fire Torey, he walked away for the job with Hervey didn't he? Why the bitterness?
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

As much as I love Ed Hervey and hate Len Rhodes, Hervey's comments on it were ridiculous:

“I was very disappointed when I found out it was Torey,” said Hervey. “I think this was very petty on both sides and something I would have preferred got handled with a phone call instead of an investigation and suspension. But as far as I’m concerned it’s over and the BC Lions are moving forward.”

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I can't post Tweets for the life of me but Dave Campbell is saying he got into with his burner Twitter account around Thanksgiving. Said the Eskimos informed him they knew it was his account and have known for a while.
    We reported him to the league and it’s only just come to light...

Guy is a joke..

Prob gets no punishment and is back with the team jan 31st

If this was the esks.. we would have lost 3 first round draft picks and been banned from play of football for a decade.. lol

They whole thing is crazy who makes a fake account just to throw shade at a former employer who YPU LEFT.. u we’re not fired! Lol

Also look for the parody Tory hunter account.. man they got that up fast!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    As much as I love Ed Hervey and hate Len Rhodes, Hervey's comments on it were ridiculous:

Insane...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    If Benevides was released due to the cap on football ops & now Lolley is hired as the DC does that make any sense?
    Unless they’re paying Lolley less $$? Maybe that was a convenient way to fire MB without it seeming like that?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    What's Lolley's background and how will his approach be different from Benevides'? I have to admit I don't follow the coaching changes in the CFL beyond the HC positions.
    I am an unabashed fan of Phillip Lolley... I was before I'd met him, and it's grown from there.

If the Flintstones were to have a football coach character, it would likely look a lot like Lolley... for all that Danny Maciocia didn't look the part of a football coach, Coach Lolley oozes it from every pore of his being.

I know Coach Lolley to be a man of high character. While he had loyalty to Chris Jones, as did all of his coaches, he wasn't a fit for some of the "shenanigans" at times. He was brought into the fold in Hamilton under Austin, and promoted to DC there when they moved on from Reinebold. He was set to come back to Hamilton last year (2018), but insisted that he be able to keep William Fields as an assistant as a condition of his return. The Ticats not only clipped Fields (who you will notice is now a Defensive Assistant with us) but also informed him that they were bringing in Jerry Glanville to be a "co-defensive-coordinator". Coach was willing to work with Glanville, though how two coaches at that stage in their career would manage that split authority seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but he wasn't willing to not have his loyalty respected. If they weren't going to keep one assistant that he asked for, then what hope did he have to make a difference and have input given the unique situation there. Helluva lot of cooks in the kitchen.

I know that he was pursued by at least three teams last year, but even though the Ticats were not paying him, they were also not letting him sign elsewhere. The cost of principles I guess... but when you're at this stage of your career, a year of sitting on the couch is a pretty high price to pay for them.

Coach Lolley has ties to Edmonton area, and remains very close with his guys from 2015 - none more so than JC Sherritt. I see this move playing well for re-signing Aaron Grymes and given the respect that JC has for him, and the respect that others have for JC, I think it will be a tremendous move with loads of veteran buy-in. I could also see the potential for some Hamilton guys to potentially have interest in playing for him again.

Style-wise, he has the ability to mix it up. Think of a Chris Jones defence, and you've got a combination of 3-man rush and all-out blitzes. While Jones wants athletes at almost any cost, Lolley will demand character and accountability from his guys, while still allowing for some individualism - see Willis, Odell or Lacey, Deon. Speaking of Odell, he and Coach Lolley come from the same part of the world and Coach was more than familiar with him long before Odell set foot on Canadian soil.

Deep football roots, great football guy, high character. I have been really hoping that this was going to come about.

vCash

A few rounds of drinks when I'm in Edmonton next summer for an Eskimos game to whoever finds these tweets by Hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I am an unabashed fan of Phillip Lolley... I was before I'd met him, and it's grown from there.

If the Flintstones were to have a football coach character, it would likely look a lot like Lolley... for all that Danny Maciocia didn't look the part of a football coach, Coach Lolley oozes it from every pore of his being.

I know Coach Lolley to be a man of high character. While he had loyalty to Chris Jones, as did all of his coaches, he wasn't a fit for some of the "shenanigans" at times. He was brought into the fold in Hamilton under Austin, and promoted to DC there when they moved on from Reinebold. He was set to come back to Hamilton last year (2018), but insisted that he be able to keep William Fields as an assistant as a condition of his return. The Ticats not only clipped Fields (who you will notice is now a Defensive Assistant with us) but also informed him that they were bringing in Jerry Glanville to be a "co-defensive-coordinator". Coach was willing to work with Glanville, though how two coaches at that stage in their career would manage that split authority seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but he wasn't willing to not have his loyalty respected. If they weren't going to keep one assistant that he asked for, then what hope did he have to make a difference and have input given the unique situation there. Helluva lot of cooks in the kitchen.

I know that he was pursued by at least three teams last year, but even though the Ticats were not paying him, they were also not letting him sign elsewhere. The cost of principles I guess... but when you're at this stage of your career, a year of sitting on the couch is a pretty high price to pay for them.

Coach Lolley has ties to Edmonton area, and remains very close with his guys from 2015 - none more so than JC Sherritt. I see this move playing well for re-signing Aaron Grymes and given the respect that JC has for him, and the respect that others have for JC, I think it will be a tremendous move with loads of veteran buy-in. I could also see the potential for some Hamilton guys to potentially have interest in playing for him again.

Style-wise, he has the ability to mix it up. Think of a Chris Jones defence, and you've got a combination of 3-man rush and all-out blitzes. While Jones wants athletes at almost any cost, Lolley will demand character and accountability from his guys, while still allowing for some individualism - see Willis, Odell or Lacey, Deon. Speaking of Odell, he and Coach Lolley come from the same part of the world and Coach was more than familiar with him long before Odell set foot on Canadian soil.

Deep football roots, great football guy, high character. I have been really hoping that this was going to come about.
    Always appreciate your knowledge.

Thoughts on the new personnel department? Any information there?

vCash

We reported him to the league and it’s only just come to light...

Guy is a joke..

Prob gets no punishment and is back with the team jan 31st
    I haven't seen the tweets or the substance of it, but a 3-month suspension is no joke. I wouldn't be happy about losing 1/4 of my annual income and some reputation along the way.

Will be interesting to see if he is, in fact, brought back, or this was deemed a deal-breaker. I'd much rather see that Hunter gets a second chance after this than guys getting second chances after domestic abuse, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    If Benevides was released due to the cap on football ops & now Lolley is hired as the DC does that make any sense?
    Unless they’re paying Lolley less $$? Maybe that was a convenient way to fire MB without it seeming like that?
    I believe, with Lolley having reason to want to be in Edmonton, and not taking on the asst HC role, that yes, he will be earning less than Bene was. Even if it's $10k-$20k difference, in a time when everyone in football ops, right down to equipment guys, are taking paycuts with the new Ops Cap, every bit is going to be looked for to make a difference.

vCash

A few rounds of drinks when I'm in Edmonton next summer for an Eskimos game to whoever finds these tweets by Hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone finds em.. please post em! I bet they have all been took down
    Last edited by cmbuk; 01-03-2019 at 03:26 PM.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

No knowledge on that side so far... digging into it with a few connections to see what I can learn.

It does kind of prove out that when you're baking a cake, you wait to see what the final result is rather than opening the oven door 10 minutes in. I feel a lot better about the plan the Esks management has put forth today than I did yesterday when we only knew about the departures and not the additions... and I too was frustrated, both by the handling of things (not acknowledging the departures, even after the news broke) and the relatively slow pace of the visibility of what they were putting together.

vCash

I think the cap was a convenient excuse. Gets Benny out while saving face for him.

They just named Gibson Asst HC so you have to think that comes with a pay bump so I don't see where the money is being saved on the coaching staff vs last year.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

I haven't seen the tweets or the substance of it, but a 3-month suspension is no joke. I wouldn't be happy about losing 1/4 of my annual income and some reputation along the way.

Will be interesting to see if he is, in fact, brought back, or this was deemed a deal-breaker. I'd much rather see that Hunter gets a second chance after this than guys getting second chances after domestic abuse, etc.

I believe, with Lolley having reason to want to be in Edmonton, and not taking on the asst HC role, that yes, he will be earning less than Bene was. Even if it's $10k-$20k difference, in a time when everyone in football ops, right down to equipment guys, are taking paycuts with the new Ops Cap, every bit is going to be looked for to make a difference.
    Re hunter
    I think it all comes down to the context of is tweets.. we prob won’t ever find out

The fact eh defends his guy is comical to me... but vest la vie

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I think the cap was a convenient excuse. Gets Benny out while saving face for him.

They just named Gibson Asst HC so you have to think that comes with a pay bump so I don't see where the money is being saved on the coaching staff vs last year.

I think your absolutely correct

vCash

No knowledge on that side so far... digging into it with a few connections to see what I can learn.

It does kind of prove out that when you're baking a cake, you wait to see what the final result is rather than opening the oven door 10 minutes in. I feel a lot better about the plan the Esks management has put forth today than I did yesterday when we only knew about the departures and not the additions... and I too was frustrated, both by the handling of things (not acknowledging the departures, even after the news broke) and the relatively slow pace of the visibility of what they were putting together.
    Yes, a lot of stuff got straighten out today. Feeling much better about the upcoming season.

vCash

Agree with you 100 percent buddy.. ur on a roll atm!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Yes, a lot of stuff got straighten out today. Feeling much better about the upcoming season.

And imagine the relief when Reilly re-signs!

vCash

thanks for the insight, always appreciated. Like you I am a little more at peace with the direction of the club today, fresh eyes across the board should bring additional talent to a club that some believe need it.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!