Juron Criner - WR - Age 29
    Kevin Elliot -WR - Age 30
    Sam Giguere - WR - Age 33
    Vidal Hazelton - WR - Age 30
    Miles Suler - WR - Age 25
    Jamil Smith - WR - Age 27
    Kenny Stafford - WR - Age 28
    Derel Walker -WR - Age 27

So there is some work to do for sure. But FA is upcoming and we haven't had any free agent camps yet as well. I will wait and see what comes of the next few months before I proclaim the sky is falling with our WR/SB's.

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Dead last in the West, out of the playoffs when hosting the Cup game. Not exactly good.
    You are definitely a 'glass half empty' kind of guy when it comes to this team. While there is no doubt finishing in fifth place and out of the playoffs in a year where you are hosting a Grey Cup is not good, one needs to take a step back and objectively analyze what went wrong. I choose to look at the team as more of a 'glass half full' mentality. The Eskimos were only two points out of third place and considering how many things went wrong down the stretch, they could have hosted a playoff game! That being said, the organization is making changes based on what actually happened and I think are positioning themselves to be better in 2019. The wildcard in all of this is the CBA and the large volume of players getting NFL opportunities, but that is going to effect EVERY team in the CFL this offseason!
    Last edited by Esk Reporter; 01-08-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

I think we have to keep derel..

Adjai behar have to stay as young Canadians..

I hope Giguere is done .. 34 next year

Stafford needs to go tbh but I still can’t beleove he’s only 28!

I am looking at Shuler and Berryman to step up

Hazelton and Elliot are 30 and above

Criner is a quandary I don’t think we should re sign him but we never really saw what he could do on g&g

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    As of now, here are the WR's heading into the new year:

Natey Adjei - WR - Age 29 -
    Tyler Baston - WR - Age 23
    Nate Behar - WR - Age 24
    Peter Berryman - WR - Age 22

So there is some work to do for sure. But FA is upcoming and we haven't had any free agent camps yet as well. I will wait and see what comes of the next few months before I proclaim the sky is falling with our WR/SB's.
    Like it was said before, if 13 leaves, 87 follows.

I think Stafford has shown all he is capable of. Hazelton spends more time on the medical table than the field. Giguere might retire again.

it's thinner than the list shows. And what is shown, lacks experience and results.

vCash

Do the likes of Henry McMaster return to the esks in2019?

vCash

It does suck to see Duke, Zylstra and Mitchell gone to the NFL. I mean kudos for them and I hope they light the NFL on fire, but I dont see their leaving as a totally bad thing.

With the number of WR's who've been Esks and have gone to the NFL - Those three and Walker most recently - I think it'll put Edmonton on the Map for players down south who need to get playing time to sign with the Esks to showcase themselves to the NFL

vCash

Natey Adjei - WR - Age 29
    Nate Behar - WR - Age 24

Taking out replacing the likes of Williams and Mitchell, one area they need to address is at the Canadian receiver spot. Given he is 33, didn't sign until late, got released then brought back, I would assume Giguere is done. Adjei can maybe be a back up but I don't think he is a starter if your receivers are good enough. Behar is going into his 3rd season and I hope he can take a step because so far it's been slow. They could use a Canadian receiver who can be more of an impact guy vs a guy who occasionally catches a pass.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 01-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Reporter View Post
    You are definitely a 'glass half empty' kind of guy when it comes to this team. While there is no doubt finishing in fifth place and out of the playoffs in a year where you are hosting a Grey Cup is not good, one needs to take a step back and objectively analyze what went wrong. I choose to look at the team as more of a 'glass half full' mentality. The Eskimos were only two points out of third place and considering how many things went wrong down the stretch, they could have hosted a playoff game! That being said, the organization is making changes based on what actually happened and I think are positioning themselves to be better in 2019. The wildcard in all of this is the CBA and the large volume of players getting NFL opportunities, but that is going to effect EVERY team in the CFL this offseason!
    I think this is the best staff Jason has put together yet, at least on paper anyways so we'll see how it plays out.

David Turner seems like a nice addition as well.

vCash

Q does have a point that we really do not know much about Turner as a hire...but his resume looks good . At this point I am going to choose to believe he will do a good job based on the positions and the results he has achieved in the past. Although it is not a 'sure thing' they will translate to the same thing here in the CFL
    Last edited by Esk Reporter; 01-08-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Grammar

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Q does have a point that we really do not know much about Turner as a hire...but his resume looks good . At this point I am going to choose to believe he will do a good job based on the positions and the results he has achieved in the past. Although it is not a 'sure thing' they will translate to the same thing here in the CFL
    I really hope he does. The team needs it. The roster from last season was already not good enough and needed some additions. Now you add in losing Wiliams, Mitchell, Cerensa, somehow Maston and potentially Boateq who's trying out. That's a lot of proven talent to replace on top of just improving the overall roster. That doesn't even take into account the QB situation. We don't know about Reilly, I pray he comes back. I would think ideally you don't want a 40 yr old QB in Glenn if you can help it. I think someone said Kline retired. Then they have O'Brien.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 01-08-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    With the number of WR's who've been Esks and have gone to the NFL - Those three and Walker most recently - I think it'll put Edmonton on the Map for players down south who need to get playing time to sign with the Esks to showcase themselves to the NFL
    The thing is...I don't want Edmonton to be a fricken farm team for the NFL. Players that want to come up and get film are the problem. Not the ratio. Not the smaller population of Canadians to pull talent from. It's the mercs that come up here with no intention of every staying and will jump ship at the first chance. At the same time, I don't want it to be a hall full of relics, has-beens and never-was... It goes along with the draft picks that wind up heading south. What a waste of a pick! If I'm going to waste a pick, I'd rather waste it on someone who might actually play and stay here instead of someone who's going to bolt to the NFL to sit on a PR. (granted they make a crapload more on the PR there than they do starting here but not everyone is about the money)
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

vCash

Natey Adjei - WR - Age 29
    Nate Behar - WR - Age 24

I used to think Jason's scheme trumped talent. He'd call plays that got someone up BUT the way our O performed during the back half of year, I don't have that faith anymore. We need to bring reinforcements in the pass catching corps for sure.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Justin Senior (a draft pick from 2017) is an NFL Free Agent currently.
    Tevaun Smith (draft pick from 2016) is also a FA.

If we could lure this fella's north it would certainly help.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Edmonton led the league in passing yards yet we only had one of the nine receivers in the league that hit 1000 yards last season. Had Mitchell and Walker played full seasons, we may have seen three, but I really do like the distribution among our receiving group last year. I think our offense allows us to get the ball out there even when defenses are keying on our 1-2 guys. I suspect there will be some new raw talent in our receiving group next year, but I'm sure every club will be faced with that.
    Maybe we get Shane Zylstra in Green & Gold for 2019???
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

What's Randy Moss doing these days? How's his 40? If the Esks put Owens on the neg list for a bit, why not Moss, he's younger than Owens.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Justin Senior (a draft pick from 2017) is an NFL Free Agent currently.
    Tevaun Smith (draft pick from 2016) is also a FA.

If we could lure this fella's north it would certainly help.
    I hope we see both of them come up here.
    Smith would be a potential great add to the WR's here.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

This squad has been trending in the downward direction for the past 2 seasons. Slowly at first, but the wheels got real wobbly in the second half of last season. There is little that indicates management has any of this figured out, let alone a solution
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    This squad has been trending in the downward direction for the past 2 seasons. Slowly at first, but the wheels got real wobbly in the second half of last season. There is little that indicates management has any of this figured out, let alone a solution
    You are sounding too negative. Remember, there is competent people in charge here. From the President down.

vCash

You are sounding too negative. Remember, there is competent people in charge here. From the President down.
    Don't think you'll find many on here saying that the president is competent, where you will find a divide is those that judge the GM based on not being the previous GM and staff and those that are willing to give him enough time to form the team in his mold.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

We are in year 3 and how long do you wait? The team has been trending backwards
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Don't think you'll find many on here saying that the president is competent, where you will find a divide is those that judge the GM based on not being the previous GM and staff and those that are willing to give him enough time to form the team in his mold.
    I think this is a critical year for the group running this team, but I am hopeful. I think the coaching changes alone have made us a better squad. Let's hope the rest of it falls into place.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

MY philosophy has always been 3 years. Year 1 is still the previous GMs team, year 2 you are looking at a decent split but by year 3 in the CFL you will have had to sign almost everyone on your roster. IMO this timeline may be even a little aggressive in this situation based on how late in the year Brock was signed. Year 3, for him, brings his own football ops team so there is no debating who's team the 2019 Eskimos are. The trend may very well be down but it also may be up, lets see how 2019 plays out.

Lets remember that after a 14-4 season in 2015, Herveys team went 10-8 the next year and I consider him to be one of the best GMs in the league so I think the least we can do is give Brock 2019.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    MY philosophy has always been 3 years. Year 1 is still the previous GMs team, year 2 you are looking at a decent split but by year 3 in the CFL you will have had to sign almost everyone on your roster. IMO this timeline may be even a little aggressive in this situation based on how late in the year Brock was signed. Year 3, for him, brings his own football ops team so there is no debating who's team the 2019 Eskimos are. The trend may very well be down but it also may be up, lets see how 2019 plays out.

Lets remember that after a 14-4 season in 2015, Herveys team went 10-8 the next year and I consider him to be one of the best GMs in the league so I think the least we can do is give Brock 2019.
    100% agree. I'm not happy with how last year transpired, but at least could understand the logic at the time. This year, there is no excuses as they've turned over pretty much everyone but Maas on the coaching/football operations side, as well as a large percentage of the players. He also had a perfect chance to move on from Maas if he wanted to understanding how the team failed down the stretch, but he kept him, so he owns the Maas coaching hire from this point forward in my opinion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    100% agree. I'm not happy with how last year transpired, but at least could understand the logic at the time. This year, there is no excuses as they've turned over pretty much everyone but Maas on the coaching/football operations side, as well as a large percentage of the players. He also had a perfect chance to move on from Maas if he wanted to understanding how the team failed down the stretch, but he kept him, so he owns the Maas coaching hire from this point forward in my opinion.
    yep this is my thought process as well

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Well... on the positive side of things
    The fact that Walker, Zylstra, Williams, and now Mitchell have been given opportunities in the NFL based on their performances behind our offense should make Edmonton a good destination for some free agents and new talent. Signing Mike Reilly would certainly seal the deal.
    True. I think the big factor was Reilly. Without a good QB, no one looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

In addition, the former GM may have played a role. (Not taking sides wtc, just a statement of fact.)

vCash

you misspelled impotent

- - - Updated - - -

Taking out replacing the likes of Williams and Mitchell, one area they need to address is at the Canadian receiver spot. Given he is 33, didn't sign until late, got released then brought back, I would assume Giguere is done. Adjei can maybe be a back up but I don't think he is a starter if your receivers are good enough. Behar is going into his 3rd season and I hope he can take a step because so far it's been slow. They could use a Canadian receiver who can be more of an impact guy vs a guy who occasionally catches a pass.
    Adjei is ok he's not a great route runner but he has decent hands (see the catch he made against BC early in the year) so he can have a role Behar is better than Adjei but he's no great shakes, really depends on how many Canadian receivers you want to start. Usually you see one Canadian receiver and mostly Canadian olinemen....we seem to do it backwards
    In Rod we trust

vCash

You actually think the Esks did right by Mitchell? For real?

Signed in April 2015 and spent the entire year on the practice roster.
    2016- Spent all but the last game, week 20 on the practice roster.
    2017. Got into 7 games, 6 were starts. Went on to get 32 catches for 482 yards and 3 TD's. I don't know about you but that's pretty darn good production in a short span of games for someone who was probably no higher than the 3rd receiver in the offensive set he would have been playing in.

In 2017, the Esks also picked up Stafford late in the year who in 5 games had 20 catches for 265. So Mitchell had better numbers than him. So given what Mitchell did in 2017 in limited time vs Stafford, you'd think he'd have the edge over him going into 2018. NOPE. Stafford got the start ahead of him.

2018, Mitchell AGAIN isn't a starter or even on the game roster for half the season. They play Stafford over him and when Hazelton comes back, they play Hazelton over him both of whom were lousy. The only reason he got in as much as he did was when Walker went down. The odd time he got in before the injury to Walker, he was productive. Yet they continued to play Stafford and Hazelton over him. So if you are Mitchell, you spent 2 years on the practice roster working. Finally in 2017 in a short time frame you get to play and show you are good. Then 2018 comes and you STILL can't crack the starting line up AND they decide to start 2 lesser players over you. To make matters worse, in way less games he had better numbers than Stafford and more than doubled Hazelton in yardage when Hazelton played 1 less game. So why on earth would I if I was Mitchell feel like the Esks believe in him and want to come back. I would go somewhere else.
    I honestly do think they did right by him, and I know that he has expressed that too.

Guys kept around by a club are kept for a reason. Guys not seeing the field, are generally not seeing the field for a reason too. That can be health (Mitchell was hurt in training camp last year and took a long time to get right). That can also be chemistry and scheme - they want certain guys in certain roles, and not just the 4-5 most physically talented guys out at any time. That can be management of team culture, playing your leaders and respecting that starters don't lose their jobs to injury most times.

Mitchell didn't stick on the PR in 15. He had never even seen CW when he came back in 16, due to TC being at Spruce Grove and the start in Ft Mac. 16 was his waiting game, trying to crack a post-Grey Cup roster with a new coaching staff that wasn't familiar with him. Learn the waggle, learn the terminology, learn the route tree. Learn to be a pro.

In 17, we didn't pick up Stafford late in the year, we picked him up when Wpg cut him the day after our pre-season game in Wpg. He kept his head down, did the right things, was a good teammate and had a heck of a road as a person, connecting with his birth father and distancing himself from his reputation that was associating him with his cousin, Duron. Playing time isn't awarded based just on stats. Production plays into it, but a guy could be assignment perfect and match up against a shutdown corner, have double coverage rolled or just not be a big part of the attack that week. 2017 stats don't dictate the 2018 pecking order, but the work they've put in, the study they've done and the preparation that they display when they get to camp sure does impact that. The coaches saw what they saw in Stafford's prep (most of last off-season in Edm), and they saw a role that they felt Hazelton was better suited to (I don't get that myself either). They did NOT hold back Mitchell out of some grudge, and they went with the combination that they thought would serve them the best for the gamelan each week.

B-Mitch lands an NFL shot after persevering and paying his dues, while being coached up and working to take advantage of his chance when it came. I absolutely assure you he is quite happy with how everything shook out and based on where it's led right now, who could blame him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I honestly do think they did right by him, and I know that he has expressed that too.
    Then he must have expressed different things to different people at different times. No situation is static.

Addendum: I didn’t mean this in a negative way. People that succeed in life make the best of whatever situation they’re in. He’s someone that everyone was & is rooting for.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 01-08-2019 at 09:33 PM.

vCash

I would say it's year three with an asterisk though as he was appointed in April 2017 after free agency and coaching decisions were already largely behind the team. Last off-season was Sunderland's first full off-season with the team and this will be his first year with any of his own scouting people in place. I really believe you need a full off-season of boots on the ground to effective. He'll have that this year and if he can't bring in some top talent, then absolutely he should feel the heat.

I think I said it before but the Esks lost Hunter in December and didn't hire Homer until May. Maybe that's on Sunderland, maybe that's on Rhodes for not allowing the hire sooner. We don't really know. With an accomplished player personnel guy like Jones in place though, you might wonder why there weren't more finds in the U.S. They're all good questions to ask.

On Sunderland, I thought he did well filling injuries in his first year with a roster that was more or less made and he seemed to lock up many of the priority free agents last winter — albeit, I think some were hoping he'd make a bigger offer for Fig, but I'm not sure he'd have stayed anyway — but the part that most seemed critical about was the scouting and recruiting of new import talent.

I think you also have to look at the number of close, winnable games that turned out to be losses. (Six of nine, really, were one possession margins). I'm not sure those were all on roster construction. There was certainly a feeling amongst many here that some of them could be attributed to lack of preparation, coaching decisions, or just dumb luck. You end up fifth in the west with a tied record with B.C. and they had their own fate in their hands to be as high as second. Yeah, they may be trending down, but I don't think it's entirely on the roster and I'm sure you don't either.

Ultimately, though, our expectations are that the team isn't just another one in the mix, but that it's challenging Calgary for that top spot year-after-year consistently. I'm sure any GM worth his salt wants to build the same. I'm sure we'll all judge Sunderland against that standard and we'll hope Rhodes allows him the ability to do his best to get there. If he has that opportunity and he doesn't deliver with his own people, by all means, turf him out and start over.
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 01-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

vCash

You actually think the Esks did right by Mitchell? For real?

Signed in April 2015 and spent the entire year on the practice roster.
    2016- Spent all but the last game, week 20 on the practice roster.
    2017. Got into 7 games, 6 were starts. Went on to get 32 catches for 482 yards and 3 TD's. I don't know about you but that's pretty darn good production in a short span of games for someone who was probably no higher than the 3rd receiver in the offensive set he would have been playing in.

In 2017, the Esks also picked up Stafford late in the year who in 5 games had 20 catches for 265. So Mitchell had better numbers than him. So given what Mitchell did in 2017 in limited time vs Stafford, you'd think he'd have the edge over him going into 2018. NOPE. Stafford got the start ahead of him.

2018, Mitchell AGAIN isn't a starter or even on the game roster for half the season. They play Stafford over him and when Hazelton comes back, they play Hazelton over him both of whom were lousy. The only reason he got in as much as he did was when Walker went down. The odd time he got in before the injury to Walker, he was productive. Yet they continued to play Stafford and Hazelton over him. So if you are Mitchell, you spent 2 years on the practice roster working. Finally in 2017 in a short time frame you get to play and show you are good. Then 2018 comes and you STILL can't crack the starting line up AND they decide to start 2 lesser players over you. To make matters worse, in way less games he had better numbers than Stafford and more than doubled Hazelton in yardage when Hazelton played 1 less game. So why on earth would I if I was Mitchell feel like the Esks believe in him and want to come back. I would go somewhere else.
    IIRC, Mitchell was injured late in TC & spent the first several games on IR. You canít play & produce if youíre injured....