Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1175

Thread: 2018 Offseason

  1. #421
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,372
    vCash
    1928
    Rep Power
    105

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Wow Q, you sure like to twist my words, never once did I say that I thought 2018 was good enough. All I'm saying is that there are to many variables to say what I would consider a successful year at this point. If you wanna judge the GM and NEW scouting staff BEFORE seeing what they produce, fill your boots but I'm going to give them time to prove themselves.

    Do you ever notice that you argue with EVERYONE other than Diesel?
    He hasn’t argued with me for what it’s worth....

  2. #422
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,167
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    185

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Actually I mostly argue with a select few people in here who seem too look at this team with rose colored glasses. But you are right on one thing, Diesel and I do agree on a lot. WHY? Because we sat in the stadium game after game, year after year in all conditions and slowly watched this team degrade. We don't look at the team or the management with Green and Gold colored glasses crossing our fingers and hoping they can figure it out or get lucky. Maybe I shouldn't speak for Diesel but I am fairly sure he thinks similarly. I call the team as it is. I call the moves or lack there of as they are. I live in reality, not hope land. Brock took over the team, a mostly ready made team where all he had to do was manage the cap and some injuries. That's it. He had a whole season to basically sit back and learn the job. Most new GM's don't get to do that. He did. I was never happy with the firing but I said before I completely passed judgement on him I wanted to see what he could do in his first REAL offseason as a GM. Auto piloting a ready made team and resigning a couple of proven star players in Walker and Grymes when they were cut from the NFL in the 2017 isn't that hard to do. The real work was going to come at the end of the 2017 season in the offseason where he was making trades, releasing guys, recruiting and signing free agents. That is where is we would see what he was made of as a GM. I am sorry if me telling the truth offends you but he FAILED. The team got worse. That's a fact, not an opinion, a fact. Most of his moves didn't work out.
    You claim you live in reality... I'd say it's your reality. You're calling things from the 64th row that often have to do with whether a player is pissed off, team dynamics, and decisions based on much more than just happens, or doesn't happen, during the games. I've never heard you mention attending practices, training camps or having connections in with players to gather insights - I know Diesel has these and you can ask him whether he believes that I do too. Reality is what is going on with all the available information... your own reality is what's going on with all the information that you have available to you. By no means do I have ALL the information about the Esks, but I will stand on my reputation, connections and watching not only the games but also the training camps and practices when I can.

    Breaking the connections of Grymes and Walker to Coach Jones was no small feat. Managing the cap to get those guys back as key additions was solid work, as was trading for Gable and even going out and getting Chick, albeit that one didn't pay as well as we'd hoped, he was still a great influence in the dressing room.

    With your claim that the team got worse - agreed, that one is a fact. There were reasons for it (losing Zylstra/Ladler to NFL, Bowman aging and having to move on from him - right call, yes?), but it is a FACT that we got worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Figureao, their all star left tackle left wasn't resigned. Doesn't matter the circumstances, he was gone. So Brock needed to replace him. He didn't. That's a fact. Draheim wasn't even close to as good, Kelly couldn't do the job and the Esks played most of the year with O'Donnell A GUARD at tackle. All facts.
    A) It sure as hell matters what the circumstances are if you're laying blame for the personnel move. That Joel followed Hervey to BC despite the Esks prioritizing him is much more an unfortunate occurrence than a botched move... particularly if the Esks offered equal or better money (I don't know that they did, but I do know that they were surprised/disappointed they didn't retain him.

    Tommie Draheim got hurt in training camp and wasn't healthy enough to play until the final weeks of the season. It is NOT a FACT that he wasn't close to as good. We didn't get to see him fully integrated with more than a few games to develop some chemistry and I believe he was a difference maker in his first game back, before struggling a bit (the whole O-line did) in his second game (in BC), and then having a great showing in the finale against Winnipeg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Kelly was resigned. Kelly is not a quality American tackle. That's a fact. If you are going to play an American at tackle, he has to be good. Kelly struggles at pass blocking. That's a fact. It's been discussed in here by some people that I "argue" with that his footwork and technique isn't great at times. That's a problem. So the Esks Oline which WAS A PROBLEM for a good chunk of the season got WORSE this year with Brock's signings. All facts.
    I don't disagree that all too often he didn't produce well enough. I don't disagree that the Esks' O-line was a problem for much of the season and took a step back. Retirement of Sim, Sorenson playing through back injury, loss of Figs and injury to Draheim. There are teams (Calgary for instance) that have done a remarkable job of plug and play, with both Americans and Canadians, but we definitely didn't do well enough, either on the personnel side, the coaching side or the execution of the players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The Esks pass rush needed an upgrade last season. So he let a bunch of guys go and traded Willis. Willis was getting older, didn't have a good year so a decision was to be made. He made it and traded him. Willis had 11 sacks this year that would have lead the team. He made the wrong call on him. He should have waited, one more year. That's a fact. So he traded him and the guy they got, is GONE now. SO not only did they Esks pull the trigger on Willis probably 1 year too soon, they have nothing for him now.
    First, it's not a fact... not by any definition. Secondly, it's 100% second guessing with the benefit of hindsight. Thirdly, it's tremendously tenuous in terms of the measure you use.

    You base this on the amount of sacks that Willis got in a different system and compare that to the number of sacks that Esks' players got ignoring every other facet of their play. (Willis - 11, Ceresna and Bazzie - 8 each) You're not looking at tackles, pressures, forcing turnovers, tackles for losses or anything else - just one stat, and drawing a senseless conclusion from it. The Esks tied for 1st in the league in sacks with 45... sacks were not their problem.

    The decision has to be looked at with the information available at the time. a) Willis was not pleased with the DE rotation down the stretch in 2017 - do you think he might have made that known to coaches? (opinion) b) Willis was a guy closer to the end than the beginning of his career and earning a healthy veteran salary (fact) c) Jake was entering his second year in the CFL and on a rookie contract (fact) d) The Esks had a guy that the coveted in Free Agency at the position and a belief that they wanted to promote Boateng to starters' reps. (opinion) They go out and get Ceresna in the trade, and you're going to hold the move against the GM because the guy played well enough to warrant an NFL contract? Seriously? That's your case? Bad trade because the younger, cheaper guy played too good?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Bazzie his big free agent signing while not having a bad year, didn't live up to the contract. That's a fact. He's supposedly getting paid as a top tier D end and he's not. Is he a decent player? Yes, is he a great player? NO. You don't pay guys big money in the CFL to be decent. He was brought in to sack the QB and the guy we replaced had a better year.
    Again - not a fact. That's an opinion.

    He was brought in to be assignment perfect - to be defensively responsible while applying pressure to the QBs. Sacks, as mentioned above, are not the only measure and definitely not what he was brought in for. That's a simplistic assessment.

    Would Willis have had better production in the Esks system last year than Bazzie? Opinion at best, and relies on the trade being measured based only on one season when you're trading a 34 year old player for a 28 year old player.

    Bazzie didn't live up to my expectations (opinion) - I have no idea if he lived up to the expectations of his coaches and GM, but I do know that he was signed to more than a one-year deal (fact) so we should continue to see a widening gap in their performance going forward (opinion).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The Esks interior line his first year was DOMINATE. They have Sewel, Cummins, Bowers who dominated not only in sacks but stopping the run. Bowers retired unexpectedly and they lost Cummins to free agency but he had legal problems. Brock brought in Cerensa who was pretty good BUT the interior of the Esks line was no where near as good. There were many games where the Esks dline got dominated. That's a fact.
    I'm starting to believe that you just don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

    Cummings and Bowers were elements that were beyond the control of the GM last year. Addition of Ceresna to shore up losses was a solid move. How do you factor it into a GM's evaluation when he loses a player to an opportunity to coach at his Alma Mater, close to home and for more money? You make a good move, controlling what you can, and you suffer some losses beyond your control, and it's cited as a negative?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The Esks lost a star in Ladler at linebacker to the NFL. The guy the team had on the roster to replace him Edwards, wasn't close. That's a fact.
    Still an opinion, but one I agree with.

    What I don't agree with is the expectation that you should be able to easily and seemlessly replace an NFL-calibre player with a CFL budget to do so. We took a step back at the position (opinion) but that isn't all on the GM, at least not within year 1.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    There are some of the moves the GM made. But everyone of those moves had a huge impact on the team and the record speaks for itself. So if me speaking truths offends you, OH well. If you have faith in the guy, great, you can think whatever you want. But Brock is going into his 3rd year as GM and so far, his team hasn't gotten better or even stayed the same, it's gotten worse. My statement isn't based on my opinion, it's based on what is in front of my face. Their record and their play this season speaks for itself. It doesn't mean he can't improve them but I gave him the benefit of the doubt this past offseason and it didn't work out.

    By the way, if you notice, a ton of the things that Diesel and I say in here, tends to happen that way. All the issues I mentioned in this post, we both raised those concerns at the start of this past season and they all came to be.
    I don't have full faith in Sunderland. I am still waiting to be convinced.

    Like most, I never wanted the Esks to move on from Hervey as GM, and I believe that they set the team back substantially by doing so - he took some players with him, it meant a transition in style, and I believe that he had a better chemistry with those that Sunderland inherited. Now Sunderland has his own people in place in personnel, and we'll see what results.

    Your statement IS based on your opinion... virtually everything you said is your opinion and it is dependent on perceptions. What is "in front of your face" isn't the complete picture, and it certainly isn't "fact" in all cases. When a QB throws an incompletion, it is a fact. Whether it was off-target, whether the receiver ran the wrong route, whether the timing was disrupted by the defence... all that is opinion when you don't have all the information that a coach or QB would have on the depth, timing, positioning, technique, etc. If a coach, upon reviewing the film, identifies where mistakes were made, I would say that he has enough information to draw a conclusion of fact. Things that you state as "facts" are often unsupported because I don't believe (opinion) that you have enough information to back them up... though you certainly see things black and white enough that I understand why you think that they are.

  3. #423
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    DB chris randle released and available...lets take Johnny Adam's salary and pick this guy up

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,952
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    314

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    He hasn’t argued with me for what it’s worth....
    Well who could argue with smartie
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  5. #425
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,167
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    185

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    DB chris randle released and available...lets take Johnny Adam's salary and pick this guy up
    He reportedly made $150,000 on a two-year deal signed last January. I don't think that Johnny Adam's salary is going to get this deal done.

    At 30, I believe he'll still be in demand around the league, and we could certainly use a solid cover CB at the Boundary Corner.

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Just me..

    But for what it’s worth I ain’t picking arguments with gwn! That dude knows his stuff...

    At your own peril be it!

    Lol

  7. #427
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,055
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    100

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Actually I mostly argue with a select few people in here who seem too look at this team with rose colored glasses. But you are right on one thing, Diesel and I do agree on a lot. WHY? Because we sat in the stadium game after game, year after year in all conditions and slowly watched this team degrade. We don't look at the team or the management with Green and Gold colored glasses crossing our fingers and hoping they can figure it out or get lucky. Maybe I shouldn't speak for Diesel but I am fairly sure he thinks similarly. I call the team as it is. I call the moves or lack there of as they are. I live in reality, not hope land. Brock took over the team, a mostly ready made team where all he had to do was manage the cap and some injuries. That's it. He had a whole season to basically sit back and learn the job. Most new GM's don't get to do that. He did. I was never happy with the firing but I said before I completely passed judgement on him I wanted to see what he could do in his first REAL offseason as a GM. Auto piloting a ready made team and resigning a couple of proven star players in Walker and Grymes when they were cut from the NFL in the 2017 isn't that hard to do. The real work was going to come at the end of the 2017 season in the offseason where he was making trades, releasing guys, recruiting and signing free agents. That is where is we would see what he was made of as a GM. I am sorry if me telling the truth offends you but he FAILED. The team got worse. That's a fact, not an opinion, a fact. Most of his moves didn't work out.

    Figureao, their all star left tackle left wasn't resigned. Doesn't matter the circumstances, he was gone. So Brock needed to replace him. He didn't. That's a fact. Draheim wasn't even close to as good, Kelly couldn't do the job and the Esks played most of the year with O'Donnell A GUARD at tackle. All facts.

    Kelly was resigned. Kelly is not a quality American tackle. That's a fact. If you are going to play an American at tackle, he has to be good. Kelly struggles at pass blocking. That's a fact. It's been discussed in here by some people that I "argue" with that his footwork and technique isn't great at times. That's a problem. So the Esks Oline which WAS A PROBLEM for a good chunk of the season got WORSE this year with Brock's signings. All facts.

    The Esks pass rush needed an upgrade last season. So he let a bunch of guys go and traded Willis. Willis was getting older, didn't have a good year so a decision was to be made. He made it and traded him. Willis had 11 sacks this year that would have lead the team. He made the wrong call on him. He should have waited, one more year. That's a fact. So he traded him and the guy they got, is GONE now. SO not only did they Esks pull the trigger on Willis probably 1 year too soon, they have nothing for him now.

    Bazzie his big free agent signing while not having a bad year, didn't live up to the contract. That's a fact. He's supposedly getting paid as a top tier D end and he's not. Is he a decent player? Yes, is he a great player? NO. You don't pay guys big money in the CFL to be decent. He was brought in to sack the QB and the guy we replaced had a better year.

    The Esks interior line his first year was DOMINATE. They have Sewel, Cummins, Bowers who dominated not only in sacks but stopping the run. Bowers retired unexpectedly and they lost Cummins to free agency but he had legal problems. Brock brought in Cerensa who was pretty good BUT the interior of the Esks line was no where near as good. There were many games where the Esks dline got dominated. That's a fact.

    The Esks lost a star in Ladler at linebacker to the NFL. The guy the team had on the roster to replace him Edwards, wasn't close. That's a fact.

    There are some of the moves the GM made. But everyone of those moves had a huge impact on the team and the record speaks for itself. So if me speaking truths offends you, OH well. If you have faith in the guy, great, you can think whatever you want. But Brock is going into his 3rd year as GM and so far, his team hasn't gotten better or even stayed the same, it's gotten worse. My statement isn't based on my opinion, it's based on what is in front of my face. Their record and their play this season speaks for itself. It doesn't mean he can't improve them but I gave him the benefit of the doubt this past offseason and it didn't work out.

    By the way, if you notice, a ton of the things that Diesel and I say in here, tends to happen that way. All the issues I mentioned in this post, we both raised those concerns at the start of this past season and they all came to be.
    Sorry...I'm only interested in the facts. Do you have any of those?
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,584
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    85

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    You claim you live in reality... I'd say it's your reality. You're calling things from the 64th row that often have to do with whether a player is pissed off, team dynamics, and decisions based on much more than just happens, or doesn't happen, during the games. I've never heard you mention attending practices, training camps or having connections in with players to gather insights - I know Diesel has these and you can ask him whether he believes that I do too. Reality is what is going on with all the available information... your own reality is what's going on with all the information that you have available to you. By no means do I have ALL the information about the Esks, but I will stand on my reputation, connections and watching not only the games but also the training camps and practices when I can.

    Breaking the connections of Grymes and Walker to Coach Jones was no small feat. Managing the cap to get those guys back as key additions was solid work, as was trading for Gable and even going out and getting Chick, albeit that one didn't pay as well as we'd hoped, he was still a great influence in the dressing room.

    With your claim that the team got worse - agreed, that one is a fact. There were reasons for it (losing Zylstra/Ladler to NFL, Bowman aging and having to move on from him - right call, yes?), but it is a FACT that we got worse.



    A) It sure as hell matters what the circumstances are if you're laying blame for the personnel move. That Joel followed Hervey to BC despite the Esks prioritizing him is much more an unfortunate occurrence than a botched move... particularly if the Esks offered equal or better money (I don't know that they did, but I do know that they were surprised/disappointed they didn't retain him.

    Tommie Draheim got hurt in training camp and wasn't healthy enough to play until the final weeks of the season. It is NOT a FACT that he wasn't close to as good. We didn't get to see him fully integrated with more than a few games to develop some chemistry and I believe he was a difference maker in his first game back, before struggling a bit (the whole O-line did) in his second game (in BC), and then having a great showing in the finale against Winnipeg.



    I don't disagree that all too often he didn't produce well enough. I don't disagree that the Esks' O-line was a problem for much of the season and took a step back. Retirement of Sim, Sorenson playing through back injury, loss of Figs and injury to Draheim. There are teams (Calgary for instance) that have done a remarkable job of plug and play, with both Americans and Canadians, but we definitely didn't do well enough, either on the personnel side, the coaching side or the execution of the players.



    First, it's not a fact... not by any definition. Secondly, it's 100% second guessing with the benefit of hindsight. Thirdly, it's tremendously tenuous in terms of the measure you use.

    You base this on the amount of sacks that Willis got in a different system and compare that to the number of sacks that Esks' players got ignoring every other facet of their play. (Willis - 11, Ceresna and Bazzie - 8 each) You're not looking at tackles, pressures, forcing turnovers, tackles for losses or anything else - just one stat, and drawing a senseless conclusion from it. The Esks tied for 1st in the league in sacks with 45... sacks were not their problem.

    The decision has to be looked at with the information available at the time. a) Willis was not pleased with the DE rotation down the stretch in 2017 - do you think he might have made that known to coaches? (opinion) b) Willis was a guy closer to the end than the beginning of his career and earning a healthy veteran salary (fact) c) Jake was entering his second year in the CFL and on a rookie contract (fact) d) The Esks had a guy that the coveted in Free Agency at the position and a belief that they wanted to promote Boateng to starters' reps. (opinion) They go out and get Ceresna in the trade, and you're going to hold the move against the GM because the guy played well enough to warrant an NFL contract? Seriously? That's your case? Bad trade because the younger, cheaper guy played too good?!



    Again - not a fact. That's an opinion.

    He was brought in to be assignment perfect - to be defensively responsible while applying pressure to the QBs. Sacks, as mentioned above, are not the only measure and definitely not what he was brought in for. That's a simplistic assessment.

    Would Willis have had better production in the Esks system last year than Bazzie? Opinion at best, and relies on the trade being measured based only on one season when you're trading a 34 year old player for a 28 year old player.

    Bazzie didn't live up to my expectations (opinion) - I have no idea if he lived up to the expectations of his coaches and GM, but I do know that he was signed to more than a one-year deal (fact) so we should continue to see a widening gap in their performance going forward (opinion).



    I'm starting to believe that you just don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

    Cummings and Bowers were elements that were beyond the control of the GM last year. Addition of Ceresna to shore up losses was a solid move. How do you factor it into a GM's evaluation when he loses a player to an opportunity to coach at his Alma Mater, close to home and for more money? You make a good move, controlling what you can, and you suffer some losses beyond your control, and it's cited as a negative?!



    Still an opinion, but one I agree with.

    What I don't agree with is the expectation that you should be able to easily and seemlessly replace an NFL-calibre player with a CFL budget to do so. We took a step back at the position (opinion) but that isn't all on the GM, at least not within year 1.



    I don't have full faith in Sunderland. I am still waiting to be convinced.

    Like most, I never wanted the Esks to move on from Hervey as GM, and I believe that they set the team back substantially by doing so - he took some players with him, it meant a transition in style, and I believe that he had a better chemistry with those that Sunderland inherited. Now Sunderland has his own people in place in personnel, and we'll see what results.

    Your statement IS based on your opinion... virtually everything you said is your opinion and it is dependent on perceptions. What is "in front of your face" isn't the complete picture, and it certainly isn't "fact" in all cases. When a QB throws an incompletion, it is a fact. Whether it was off-target, whether the receiver ran the wrong route, whether the timing was disrupted by the defence... all that is opinion when you don't have all the information that a coach or QB would have on the depth, timing, positioning, technique, etc. If a coach, upon reviewing the film, identifies where mistakes were made, I would say that he has enough information to draw a conclusion of fact. Things that you state as "facts" are often unsupported because I don't believe (opinion) that you have enough information to back them up... though you certainly see things black and white enough that I understand why you think that they are.
    No disrespect intended but what the hell are you talking about?

    Figs was an all star. They lost out on him. Maybe he didn't want to play in Edmonton, maybe he hated the coach, maybe BC out bid the Esks. What you lost him, doesn't really matter as I said. He was no longer an Eskimo. That is a big loss. So the GM has to find a guy or guys to replace him. I assume you agree with me on that. So they went out and signed Draheim, an Ottawa guy. Here is his profile on the Esks site. https://www.esks.com/players/tommie-draheim/159357/. Here is his Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommie_Draheim
    He started 13 games in 2015 for BC. Went to Ottawa in 2016, started 2. Then in 2017 spent the whole year on Ottawa's practice roster. So you lose out on an all star left tackle in Figs which maybe Brock tried his absolute best but it didn't work out. I can 100% accept that. So you replace an all star with a guy who in the last 2 seasons prior to the Esks was good enough to start 2 games. That's it. 2 games. I don't pretend to be a football exec but when you have an all star, you lose the all star and you replace him with a practice roster guy, that's a step back. Replacing an All star is difficult, I get that. So how about just replacing the all star with a full time starter instead of a 2 year CFL practice roster guy. I love the CFL so if Draheim spent 2 seasons as a back up or a practice roster guy, I can maybe accept that because there is a big step between the NFL and CFL but he couldn't crack a CFL roster in 2 years and that is the guy who will replace and all star? Come on. Sorry to break it to you but this isn't my "opinion" its reality. Click on the links and see for yourself. If you watched and or listened to the preseason both he and Kelly weren't very good but they played because all the Esks had was 2 tackles. That's it. 2 remotely capable tackles on their roster. That isn't my "opinion" dude, that's the truth. Why is it the truth? Because as soon as Draheim went down, the Esks had to play a GUARD - O'Donnell - at tackle for most of the year. So the team didn't even have enough capable tackles on the roster to cover off for 1 injury. It's football, injuries happen ALL THE TIME. If you don't believe me, I can post the roster for game 1 showing O'Donnell at GUARD and then post other line ups for other games where O'Donnell slides over to tackle. But I am hoping I don't have to do that.

    For the rest of the guys, I am not going to go into detail about them. There is no point. All I will say is player will leave your team, especially the CFL for all kinds of reasons. Why they leave, really doesn't matter a whole lot. When they leave, it is the GM's JOB to replace them and try to replace them with guy who are just as good or in a perfect world, better. He didn't. That is not my opinion, that is what happened. The guys who were on the Oline, some of them on the Dline and at linebacker(ladler) in the 2017 season were better than than last years guys. That is a true statement. Figs was much better than Draheim. You can sugar coat it and say "Draheim got hurt". Who cares. Draheim wasn't a starter before he came to Edmonton, Figs was. When he came in, Draheim's play wasn't as good as Figs. It wasn't. Sewell, Bowers, Cummins were a much better 3 some on the Dline than Sewel, Ceresna and I don't even know who the 3rd guy was because it changed all the time because the other guy wasn't good enough. Ladler was a superior player to Edwards.

    So how is all of what I said "opinion".
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Where is the damn popcorn emoji!!! :/

  10. #430
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,952
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    314

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    No disrespect intended but what the hell are you talking about?

    Figs was an all star. They lost out on him. Maybe he didn't want to play in Edmonton, maybe he hated the coach, maybe BC out bid the Esks. What you lost him, doesn't really matter as I said. He was no longer an Eskimo. That is a big loss. So the GM has to find a guy or guys to replace him. I assume you agree with me on that. So they went out and signed Draheim, an Ottawa guy. Here is his profile on the Esks site. https://www.esks.com/players/tommie-draheim/159357/. Here is his Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommie_Draheim
    He started 13 games in 2015 for BC. Went to Ottawa in 2016, started 2. Then in 2017 spent the whole year on Ottawa's practice roster. So you lose out on an all star left tackle in Figs which maybe Brock tried his absolute best but it didn't work out. I can 100% accept that. So you replace an all star with a guy who in the last 2 seasons prior to the Esks was good enough to start 2 games. That's it. 2 games. I don't pretend to be a football exec but when you have an all star, you lose the all star and you replace him with a practice roster guy, that's a step back. Replacing an All star is difficult, I get that. So how about just replacing the all star with a full time starter instead of a 2 year CFL practice roster guy. I love the CFL so if Draheim spent 2 seasons as a back up or a practice roster guy, I can maybe accept that because there is a big step between the NFL and CFL but he couldn't crack a CFL roster in 2 years and that is the guy who will replace and all star? Come on. Sorry to break it to you but this isn't my "opinion" its reality. Click on the links and see for yourself. If you watched and or listened to the preseason both he and Kelly weren't very good but they played because all the Esks had was 2 tackles. That's it. 2 remotely capable tackles on their roster. That isn't my "opinion" dude, that's the truth. Why is it the truth? Because as soon as Draheim went down, the Esks had to play a GUARD - O'Donnell - at tackle for most of the year. So the team didn't even have enough capable tackles on the roster to cover off for 1 injury. It's football, injuries happen ALL THE TIME. If you don't believe me, I can post the roster for game 1 showing O'Donnell at GUARD and then post other line ups for other games where O'Donnell slides over to tackle. But I am hoping I don't have to do that.

    For the rest of the guys, I am not going to go into detail about them. There is no point. All I will say is player will leave your team, especially the CFL for all kinds of reasons. Why they leave, really doesn't matter a whole lot. When they leave, it is the GM's JOB to replace them and try to replace them with guy who are just as good or in a perfect world, better. He didn't. That is not my opinion, that is what happened. The guys who were on the Oline, some of them on the Dline and at linebacker(ladler) in the 2017 season were better than than last years guys. That is a true statement. Figs was much better than Draheim. You can sugar coat it and say "Draheim got hurt". Who cares. Draheim wasn't a starter before he came to Edmonton, Figs was. When he came in, Draheim's play wasn't as good as Figs. It wasn't. Sewell, Bowers, Cummins were a much better 3 some on the Dline than Sewel, Ceresna and I don't even know who the 3rd guy was because it changed all the time because the other guy wasn't good enough. Ladler was a superior player to Edwards.

    So how is all of what I said "opinion".
    You should maybe take a look at your own links, in 2015 Draheim started 13 games as well as the west semi final, in 2016 he played in 2 games PLUS the east final and the grey cup. While he didn't play in 2017 Ottawa was going with 1 international on the line and that guy was All star Sir Vincent Rogers. Sometimes the best deals to be had are the guys playing behind an all star. This is how the Preds got Pekka Rinne as he was playing behind Backstrom but wasn't getting a lot of playing time. Like you said replacing an All star in tough especially when you thought he was coming back.

    You have also glossed over the fact that we signed one of the most highly sought after Guards in Travis Bond and this had to be at least part of reason O'Donnell was bumped out to Tackle.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  11. #431
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Whatever mulberry bush anyone wants to go around, the performance of this team on both sides of the LOS has fallen off substantially, and that was the core identity of a championship team here, regardless of all the nice shiny things on offense.

    This squad has not gotten better.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  12. #432
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,417
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    560

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Perhaps that is why we are making changes?
    New DC; new STC; new OC; new scouting department...
    Sunderland has chosen his coach by extending Maas; he's cleaned house and brought in his own guys. This is ultimately his "live or die" year. Let's see what happens.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  13. #433
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,952
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    314

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Perhaps that is why we are making changes?
    New DC; new STC; new OC; new scouting department...
    Sunderland has chosen his coach by extending Maas; he's cleaned house and brought in his own guys. This is ultimately his "live or die" year. Let's see what happens.
    This is my stance for sure.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  14. #434
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,329
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Perhaps that is why we are making changes?
    New DC; new STC; new OC; new scouting department...
    Sunderland has chosen his coach by extending Maas; he's cleaned house and brought in his own guys. This is ultimately his "live or die" year. Let's see what happens.
    Agree generally, though it may not be live or die to me. If he can pull out a 12-6 season, he buys himself a couple years. However, knowing the challenges he's facing this off-season, general improvement (i.e. 10-8 or 9-9 with improvement in consistency of all 3 units) I may be fine with a one year lifeline. 10 or more losses though and it's curtains.

  15. #435
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,417
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    560

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Agree generally, though it may not be live or die to me. If he can pull out a 12-6 season, he buys himself a couple years. However, knowing the challenges he's facing this off-season, general improvement (i.e. 10-8 or 9-9 with improvement in consistency of all 3 units, or if Reilly leaves, staying in the playoff race until at least the final two weeks), I may be fine with a one year lifeline. 10 or more losses though and it's curtains.
    oh no... I agree with you 100%. I just think that 2019 will define our GM moving forward.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  16. #436
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,584
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    85

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    You should maybe take a look at your own links, in 2015 Draheim started 13 games as well as the west semi final, in 2016 he played in 2 games PLUS the east final and the grey cup. While he didn't play in 2017 Ottawa was going with 1 international on the line and that guy was All star Sir Vincent Rogers. Sometimes the best deals to be had are the guys playing behind an all star. This is how the Preds got Pekka Rinne as he was playing behind Backstrom but wasn't getting a lot of playing time. Like you said replacing an All star in tough especially when you thought he was coming back.

    You have also glossed over the fact that we signed one of the most highly sought after Guards in Travis Bond and this had to be at least part of reason O'Donnell was bumped out to Tackle.
    When you look up the guys profile, they list how many games he dressed in with the amount of starts listed separately. Draheim has NOTHING for 2017. Not even the date. When a guy spends an entire year (2017) on the practice roster, usually that doesn't happen if he's good enough. Ottawa decided he wasn't even worth having dressed as a back up for the entire 2017 season then he is brought in to the Esks to replace an all star. I am sorry man, I don't buy it as being a good move no matter how you spin it. When a player can't do anything except stand on the sidelines in street clothes for a whole season, that tells me that multiple guys are ahead of him. He didn't even dress as a back up man. If he was a guy straight out of the CIS and he was there because he needed development time then maybe I could sort of understand it. When you are a 28-29 yr old on a CFL practice roster, the GM needs to do better than signing those guys and expecting them to step in and start at a high level.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 01-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  17. #437
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Agree generally, though it may not be live or die to me. If he can pull out a 12-6 season, he buys himself a couple years. However, knowing the challenges he's facing this off-season, general improvement (i.e. 10-8 or 9-9 with improvement in consistency of all 3 units) I may be fine with a one year lifeline. 10 or more losses though and it's curtains.
    I think we win 10 plus games this year...

    How bout them for g&g tinted glasses!

  18. #438
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Perhaps that is why we are making changes?
    New DC; new STC; new OC; new scouting department...
    Sunderland has chosen his coach by extending Maas; he's cleaned house and brought in his own guys. This is ultimately his "live or die" year. Let's see what happens.
    I will dispute that somewhat. It's well known in league circles that BS was actively seeking JM's replacement, to the point where JM caught wind himself and had began cleaning out his office. This did not go over well with other teams, and in the blowback, the Rhodent called upon his ol buddy Jones to fabricate a back track article.

    BS sees keeping JM now as the best way to keep MR, as MR has rejected all offers late last season and into the offseason, but make no mistake, the first to take a bullet will be JM
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  19. #439
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,329
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I will dispute that somewhat. It's well known in league circles that BS was actively seeking JM's replacement, to the point where JM caught wind himself and had began cleaning out his office. This did not go over well with other teams, and in the blowback, the Rhodent called upon his ol buddy Jones to fabricate a back track article.

    BS sees keeping JM now as the best way to keep MR, as MR has rejected all offers late last season and into the offseason, but make no mistake, the first to take a bullet will be JM
    Yeah, but ultimately he kept him so he's now his hire.

    All that other drama could be just him testing the waters to see who's available/interested which he should be doing. Perhaps through the search it became evident quickly that anybody else that would have been available wasn't decidedly better than Maas. Couple that with the additional benefit of improving the odds of keeping their MOP, then it's likely a reasonable decision that he will own and be evaluated upon.

  20. #440
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I will dispute that somewhat. It's well known in league circles that BS was actively seeking JM's replacement, to the point where JM caught wind himself and had began cleaning out his office. This did not go over well with other teams, and in the blowback, the Rhodent called upon his ol buddy Jones to fabricate a back track article.

    BS sees keeping JM now as the best way to keep MR, as MR has rejected all offers late last season and into the offseason, but make no mistake, the first to take a bullet will be JM
    I’m sure u have way more contacts then me my dude, but I ain’t heard that about Sunderland shopping for maas’ replacement.. at all...
    not saying your wrong, your truth is you your truth.. but man, I ain’t never heard that..

    Either way I’m happy Jason is still here and because Jason is still here, even if we lose reilly.. our offence will still be productive.. u gotta trust the system!

  21. #441
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,417
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    560

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    BS sees keeping JM now as the best way to keep MR, as MR has rejected all offers late last season and into the offseason, but make no mistake, the first to take a bullet will be JM
    That may be true, but I will hold BS accountable. Just like many on here hold Rhodes accountable for firing a GM (Hervey) he shouldn't have fired. If Maas takes a bullet for the (lack of) success this team has in 2019, it had better be apparent that the issues lie in our head coach and not in someone scrambling to save his own ass. I still think Maas has some things he needs to prove, so I'm not saying he's the perfect head coach; but right now, he's the guy I believe in the most.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  22. #442
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    That may be true, but I will hold BS accountable. Just like many on here hold Rhodes accountable for firing a GM (Hervey) he shouldn't have fired. If Maas takes a bullet for the (lack of) success this team has in 2019, it had better be apparent that the issues lie in our head coach and not in someone scrambling to save his own ass. I still think Maas has some things he needs to prove, so I'm not saying he's the perfect head coach; but right now, he's the guy I believe in the most.
    Maas has a lot to prove in various guises tbh . I know Q def holds nothing back on his feelings toward hazelton and Stafford playing last season,, but Sunderland doesn’t pick the depth chart.. that’s Jason maas and his staff! Jason can let his loyalty get in his way a times but also his method is proven , Williams had to wait , zylstra had to wait ... all went on to star but year I think maas as much as Sunderland... both have eyes squarely on em

  23. #443
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,417
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    560

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Mountainside chats with Dave Naylor: Brock Sunderland
    General manager and vice president of football operations for the Edmonton Eskimos Brock Sunderland joins Dave Naylor to discuss the current negotiations between free agent Mike Reilly and how the team has two budgets in place for whether the quarterback resigns or signs elsewhere, the loss of players to the NFL, the decision to keep Jason Maas after a disappointing season, and what led to the Eskimos missing the playoffs.


    https://www.tsn.ca/video/mountainsid...erland~1583486
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  24. #444
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Mountainside chats with Dave Naylor: Brock Sunderland
    General manager and vice president of football operations for the Edmonton Eskimos Brock Sunderland joins Dave Naylor to discuss the current negotiations between free agent Mike Reilly and how the team has two budgets in place for whether the quarterback resigns or signs elsewhere, the loss of players to the NFL, the decision to keep Jason Maas after a disappointing season, and what led to the Eskimos missing the playoffs.


    https://www.tsn.ca/video/mountainsid...erland~1583486
    CONCERT-side chats w/ Rhodent coming soon

  25. #445
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yeah, but ultimately he kept him so he's now his hire.

    All that other drama could be just him testing the waters to see who's available/interested which he should be doing. Perhaps through the search it became evident quickly that anybody else that would have been available wasn't decidedly better than Maas. Couple that with the additional benefit of improving the odds of keeping their MOP, then it's likely a reasonable decision that he will own and be evaluated upon.
    Point is, he retained him but it's obvious he wasn't his preferred choice.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  26. #446
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,584
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    85

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Point is, he retained him but it's obvious he wasn't his preferred choice.
    If I am not mistaken, didn't the Esks get their hand slapped at the end of their season for tampering by trying to talk to assistants when it was up in the air if Maas was coming back?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  27. #447
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,417
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    560

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    CONCERT-side chats w/ Rhodent coming soon
    haha.... reminds me of SCTV Fireside Chats with Mayor Tommy Shanks (John Candy)

    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  28. #448
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,329
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Point is, he retained him but it's obvious he wasn't his preferred choice.
    Certainly your connections are better than mine (which are none), so you may have some intel that the rest of us wouldn't, but does this truly mean it is obvious? He was looking, sure, but if he didn't find anything better maybe he decided it's better to stay the course.

  29. #449

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    He hasn’t argued with me for what it’s worth....
    But what does that say about you?

  30. #450

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Things that you state as "facts" are often unsupported because I don't believe (opinion) that you have enough information to back them up... though you certainly see things black and white enough that I understand why you think that they are.
    I don't think anyone around here is gonna accuse Q of being a critical thinker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •