Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1437

Thread: 2018 Offseason

  1. #1381
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    449
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It would surprise me if Brock hadn't planned for some element of contingency in case Mitchell, Duke or Dykstra shake loose. The fact is, the Esks know exactly what they'd be getting in Mitchell, better than any other team. They know the person, the teammate, the community guy, the character, the practice habits, the strengths and the weaknesses. They will be well positioned to decide whether his ask will allow for them to get value, and whatever they decide will be fully informed.

    We have talked about how the Esks will need to find some guys capable of overplaying their contract and delivering more bang than their bucks. An import receiver position is a logical place to look in a lot of ways, but the Esks, in recent years, have been much more effective offensively when they can work in that extra American receiver. The drop off in production last year when Walker got hurt was noticeable, so that one more guy capable of drawing coverage or exploiting one on one's may be crucial. It's not like you're having to find an additional $120k in room, but more so a case where you might need to find $55k in room to have him replace a guy signed at $65k.

    I don't judge a guy's NFL chances based on whether someone else succeeded or not. Walker's not sticking down there doesn't fully predict whether Mitchell could, as it's about role, fit, skillset, chemistry, etc. Adam Bighill didn't stick, but no one is going to say he's not as good of a football player as Deon Lacey. Tevaun Smith had 3 years of attracting interest in the NFL, but it is a stretch to think he's a better receiver than Brad Sinopoli, who hasn't drawn any.

    For the time being, I am hopeful Bryant gets another opportunity and a chance to compete.
    Not that Iím advocating for it, but the Esks could probably find the savings for Mitchell (or another NFL piece) by releasing Konar. Itís nice to have the ratio option, but if theyíre not committing to him as a starter itís an expensive luxury. There seems to be a fair amount of Canadian o-line depth, especially with Saxelid now so maybe thatís their plan eventually.

  2. #1382
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It would surprise me if Brock hadn't planned for some element of contingency in case Mitchell, Duke or Dykstra shake loose.
    Lenny?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  3. #1383
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,504
    vCash
    675
    Rep Power
    361

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Lenny?
    Dang auto-correct!

  4. #1384
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,869
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    BC has just made the tough decision to release a heart and soul, face of the franchise type player that felt he had a good-faith agreement to take a pay-cut to stay there. BC passed on Walker, and their own free agent, Devier Posey, who wanted to return. I'm not saying that Mitchell would demand that kind of money, but I'm not as convinced that there is any automatic assurance that they'd spend up on the position if he's looking for $120k or so.

    Mitchell's first camp with Edmonton was 2015, so yes, there is some tie to Hervey, but not in the same way that Mike Reilly would have had a tie. Mitchell would have been a guy that Hervey signed to a contract/practice roster agreement, and not a guy that Hervey brought in to build a team around. There would, presumably, be greater ties to Reilly himself, but also potentially to guys in Edmonton, be it the coaching staff, teammates, or people in the community.
    The same coach and GM who were content with letting Mitchell sit even though every time he came in, he seemed to put up big numbers while Hazelton and Stafford were allowed to play game after game and do very little are still in place in Edmonton. I would love it if he came back but I would be surprised.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  5. #1385
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,658
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    655

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The same coach and GM who were content with letting Mitchell sit even though every time he came in, he seemed to put up big numbers while Hazelton and Stafford were allowed to play game after game and do very little are still in place in Edmonton. I would love it if he came back but I would be surprised.
    I think you are reading far more into this than there is. IMO (and it is just my opinion) should Mitchel return the CFL it will all be about the dollars, which I don't believe we have available. If he were to go by your philosophy, he would also be eliminating BC as Hervey cut him in favor of Stafford that year. Compare 2015 Stafford to 2018 Stafford you say? In 2015 Stafford played in 18 games, had 47 receptions for 732 yards. In 2018 Stafford played in 17 games, had 55 receptions and 781 yards, so basically the same player.
    #PizStrong

  6. #1386
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think you are reading far more into this than there is. IMO (and it is just my opinion) should Mitchel return the CFL it will all be about the dollars, which I don't believe we have available. If he were to go by your philosophy, he would also be eliminating BC as Hervey cut him in favor of Stafford that year. Compare 2015 Stafford to 2018 Stafford you say? In 2015 Stafford played in 18 games, had 47 receptions for 732 yards. In 2018 Stafford played in 17 games, had 55 receptions and 781 yards, so basically the same player.
    I believe that Mitchell was the better receiver in instances where others saw the field ahead of him. I also believe that there are decisions made that are far more complex than "best athlete plays". I will assume that Maas and Hervey know more about the situation than I do, as frustrating as it was in the case of Mitchell.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  7. #1387

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I believe that Mitchell was the better receiver in instances where others saw the field ahead of him. I also believe that there are decisions made that are far more complex than "best athlete plays". I will assume that Maas and Hervey know more about the situation than I do, as frustrating as it was in the case of Mitchell.
    Exactly.

  8. #1388
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,120
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think you are reading far more into this than there is. IMO (and it is just my opinion) should Mitchel return the CFL it will all be about the dollars, which I don't believe we have available. If he were to go by your philosophy, he would also be eliminating BC as Hervey cut him in favor of Stafford that year. Compare 2015 Stafford to 2018 Stafford you say? In 2015 Stafford played in 18 games, had 47 receptions for 732 yards. In 2018 Stafford played in 17 games, had 55 receptions and 781 yards, so basically the same player.
    Staffords numbers are better than I thought..

    Imagine if he didn’t drop as many! Lol

    I’m not the biggest Stafford fan at all, to inconsistent... but he’s only 27 right and knows the system..

    We will see

    Part of me is hoping someone beats kenny out come camp

    Sorry Lenny!

  9. #1389
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,658
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    655

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Staffords numbers are better than I thought..

    Imagine if he didn’t drop as many! Lol

    I’m not the biggest Stafford fan at all, to inconsistent... but he’s only 27 right and knows the system..

    We will see

    Part of me is hoping someone beats kenny out come camp

    Sorry Lenny!
    Had a great start to 2018 and tailed off as the year went. I like his commitment to the team and community but would also like to see an upgrade.
    #PizStrong

  10. #1390
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,504
    vCash
    675
    Rep Power
    361

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Had a great start to 2018 and tailed off as the year went. I like his commitment to the team and community but would also like to see an upgrade.
    One of my observations about Kenny is that he's shown to be better as a #3 option. Early in the year, when Duke and D-Walk were lighting it up, Kenny was feasting too. After Walker went down, he tailed off too.

    He's a guy that has been at his best running free rather than going up for 50-50 balls, and I felt there was too much of that last year. Perhaps that was by design, reflective of poor pass protection, or even the all-around struggles of the offence in the fall (including some of the worst football we've seen from Reilly in a few years).

    When a vet gets beat out by a guy that steps up and takes the job, that's ultimately good for the team. When he loses the job by not being ready to compete, that's less so. I hope he's as motivated to compete as I think he is.

  11. #1391
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,658
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    655

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    One of my observations about Kenny is that he's shown to be better as a #3 option. Early in the year, when Duke and D-Walk were lighting it up, Kenny was feasting too. After Walker went down, he tailed off too.

    He's a guy that has been at his best running free rather than going up for 50-50 balls, and I felt there was too much of that last year. Perhaps that was by design, reflective of poor pass protection, or even the all-around struggles of the offence in the fall (including some of the worst football we've seen from Reilly in a few years).

    When a vet gets beat out by a guy that steps up and takes the job, that's ultimately good for the team. When he loses the job by not being ready to compete, that's less so. I hope he's as motivated to compete as I think he is.
    Accurate assessment in my eyes. I'm a big Stafford the person fan and he can be a deep threat when needed but should a rookie or one of our second year guys like Shuler, take a step forward, he'll be the first domino to fall, at least in my eyes.
    #PizStrong

  12. #1392
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,120
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Accurate assessment in my eyes. I'm a big Stafford the person fan and he can be a deep threat when needed but should a rookie or one of our second year guys like Shuler, take a step forward, he'll be the first domino to fall, at least in my eyes.
    I actually forgot about Shuler!

    Big year for him..

    He could be this years Mitchell if he gets the chance

  13. #1393
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,640
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I actually forgot about Shuler!

    Big year for him..

    He could be this years Mitchell if he gets the chance

    ya new playbook stuff for him to share on social media again

  14. #1394
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    332

    Re: 2018 Offseason



  15. #1395
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    ... and with all the news today, I'm very excited to start hearing the training camp reports.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  16. #1396
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,120
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    ya new playbook stuff for him to share on social media again
    Cool! Lol

  17. #1397
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,377
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    512

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    ... and with all the news today, I'm very excited to start hearing the training camp reports.
    Darn right. Looks like we lost one of our super camp " reporters" this year though.

  18. #1398
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,481
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    182

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

    Only 2 draft picks not signed: 1st rounder Mathieu Betts (attending Chicago Bears camp) and 5th rounder Evan Machibroda (going back to school to finish his degree). Great job getting their buy in to come in to compete - we have done exceptionally well getting draft picks to stick with the team the last 5 years or so, with only Doug Corby/DJ Lalama in 2016, Justin Senior in 2017 and 2018's Blair Zerr not signing at least a PR spot with the club. Definitely a far cry from 2013, when we drafted 7 players and only had Kyle Norris and Elie Ngoyi get signed with the team - though Stefan Charles could still come north and sign here.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  19. #1399
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason




    Happy for Mitchell - hope he gets a legit shot.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  20. #1400
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,658
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    655

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post



    Happy for Mitchell - hope he gets a legit shot.
    Hopefully he fairs better with them than Walker did
    #PizStrong

  21. #1401
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,255
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post




    Happy for Mitchell - hope he gets a legit shot.

    The Almighty really is the best agent.

  22. #1402
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    332

    Re: 2018 Offseason




    Mason Woods - released. Thoughts? I don't think he even played a game for the Eskimos did he?

  23. #1403
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Mason Woods - released. Thoughts? I don't think he even played a game for the Eskimos did he?
    Unfortunate. The kid looked like he had potential, but I'm guessing he just didn't show enough growth to warrant a PR spot. Time to move on.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  24. #1404
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,820
    vCash
    1864
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Yeah, that was a big disappointment. I had hopes Woods would turn into something more for us but it never came to fruition.

    I recognize a few names in that list of signings too. Joseph was with the Als' and Lucky Daniels was a guy I kept an eye on when I was doing work with Ridley Scouting. Could be some good Canadian D-line depth.

  25. #1405
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,277
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    The DB Josh Johnson looks familiar...

    EDIT: just looked him up, and if it's the right Josh Johnson, it looks like he's spent time with the Lions, Redblacks, and Ti-Cats as well.
    Last edited by OK14; 05-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  26. #1406
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,257
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    124

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post



    Happy for Mitchell - hope he gets a legit shot.
    Wonderful news...the best of luck to him!
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  27. #1407
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,377
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    512

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    I guess we were going to lose Franklin anyway but it still stings that Woods didn't progress as expected. Never even got off the PR last year.

    We signed a receiver named Viamontes Cotera, Diego Jair. I could imagine good one Catcus Jack Wells pronouncing that one.

  28. #1408
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,120
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I guess we were going to lose Franklin anyway but it still stings that Woods didn't progress as expected. Never even got off the PR last year.

    We signed a receiver named Viamontes Cotera, Diego Jair. I could imagine good one Catcus Jack Wells pronouncing that one.
    If woods was ever gonna be a stud Argos wouldn’t have traded him.. quality olinemen are like gold dust.. u don’t let em go
    The fact he was stuck on the Argos roster or pr not making it then coming here and not showing anything... some guys just don’t trend upward enough..

    Plus if the esks are happy to jettison a no lineman they gotta be happy with what they have or / drafted..

  29. #1409
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    449
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    If woods was ever gonna be a stud Argos wouldnít have traded him.. quality olinemen are like gold dust.. u donít let em go
    The fact he was stuck on the Argos roster or pr not making it then coming here and not showing anything... some guys just donít trend upward enough..

    Plus if the esks are happy to jettison a no lineman they gotta be happy with what they have or / drafted..
    I was really optimistic about Woods, so this is disappointing. It's not shocking, though, considering the good amount of young, Canadian OL depth the Esks have accumulated. Seeing his spot on the depth chart going in though, it does make me wonder if he showed up out of shape or hadn't progressed as planned.

  30. #1410
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,412
    vCash
    9537
    Rep Power
    974

    Re: 2018 Offseason


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •