Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1437

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It would surprise me if Brock hadn't planned for some element of contingency in case Mitchell, Duke or Dykstra shake loose. The fact is, the Esks know exactly what they'd be getting in Mitchell, better than any other team. They know the person, the teammate, the community guy, the character, the practice habits, the strengths and the weaknesses. They will be well positioned to decide whether his ask will allow for them to get value, and whatever they decide will be fully informed.

We have talked about how the Esks will need to find some guys capable of overplaying their contract and delivering more bang than their bucks. An import receiver position is a logical place to look in a lot of ways, but the Esks, in recent years, have been much more effective offensively when they can work in that extra American receiver. The drop off in production last year when Walker got hurt was noticeable, so that one more guy capable of drawing coverage or exploiting one on one's may be crucial. It's not like you're having to find an additional $120k in room, but more so a case where you might need to find $55k in room to have him replace a guy signed at $65k.

I don't judge a guy's NFL chances based on whether someone else succeeded or not. Walker's not sticking down there doesn't fully predict whether Mitchell could, as it's about role, fit, skillset, chemistry, etc. Adam Bighill didn't stick, but no one is going to say he's not as good of a football player as Deon Lacey. Tevaun Smith had 3 years of attracting interest in the NFL, but it is a stretch to think he's a better receiver than Brad Sinopoli, who hasn't drawn any.

For the time being, I am hopeful Bryant gets another opportunity and a chance to compete.
    Not that Iím advocating for it, but the Esks could probably find the savings for Mitchell (or another NFL piece) by releasing Konar. Itís nice to have the ratio option, but if theyíre not committing to him as a starter itís an expensive luxury. There seems to be a fair amount of Canadian o-line depth, especially with Saxelid now so maybe thatís their plan eventually.

vCash

It would surprise me if Brock hadn't planned for some element of contingency in case Mitchell, Duke or Dykstra shake loose.
    Lenny?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Lenny?
    Dang auto-correct!

vCash

BC has just made the tough decision to release a heart and soul, face of the franchise type player that felt he had a good-faith agreement to take a pay-cut to stay there. BC passed on Walker, and their own free agent, Devier Posey, who wanted to return. I'm not saying that Mitchell would demand that kind of money, but I'm not as convinced that there is any automatic assurance that they'd spend up on the position if he's looking for $120k or so.

Mitchell's first camp with Edmonton was 2015, so yes, there is some tie to Hervey, but not in the same way that Mike Reilly would have had a tie. Mitchell would have been a guy that Hervey signed to a contract/practice roster agreement, and not a guy that Hervey brought in to build a team around. There would, presumably, be greater ties to Reilly himself, but also potentially to guys in Edmonton, be it the coaching staff, teammates, or people in the community.
    The same coach and GM who were content with letting Mitchell sit even though every time he came in, he seemed to put up big numbers while Hazelton and Stafford were allowed to play game after game and do very little are still in place in Edmonton. I would love it if he came back but I would be surprised.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The same coach and GM who were content with letting Mitchell sit even though every time he came in, he seemed to put up big numbers while Hazelton and Stafford were allowed to play game after game and do very little are still in place in Edmonton. I would love it if he came back but I would be surprised.
    I think you are reading far more into this than there is. IMO (and it is just my opinion) should Mitchel return the CFL it will all be about the dollars, which I don't believe we have available. If he were to go by your philosophy, he would also be eliminating BC as Hervey cut him in favor of Stafford that year. Compare 2015 Stafford to 2018 Stafford you say? In 2015 Stafford played in 18 games, had 47 receptions for 732 yards. In 2018 Stafford played in 17 games, had 55 receptions and 781 yards, so basically the same player.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think you are reading far more into this than there is. IMO (and it is just my opinion) should Mitchel return the CFL it will all be about the dollars, which I don't believe we have available. If he were to go by your philosophy, he would also be eliminating BC as Hervey cut him in favor of Stafford that year. Compare 2015 Stafford to 2018 Stafford you say? In 2015 Stafford played in 18 games, had 47 receptions for 732 yards. In 2018 Stafford played in 17 games, had 55 receptions and 781 yards, so basically the same player.
    I believe that Mitchell was the better receiver in instances where others saw the field ahead of him. I also believe that there are decisions made that are far more complex than "best athlete plays". I will assume that Maas and Hervey know more about the situation than I do, as frustrating as it was in the case of Mitchell.

I believe that Mitchell was the better receiver in instances where others saw the field ahead of him. I also believe that there are decisions made that are far more complex than "best athlete plays". I will assume that Maas and Hervey know more about the situation than I do, as frustrating as it was in the case of Mitchell.
    Exactly.

vCash

Staffords numbers are better than I thought..

Imagine if he didn’t drop as many! Lol

I’m not the biggest Stafford fan at all, to inconsistent... but he’s only 27 right and knows the system..

We will see

Part of me is hoping someone beats kenny out come camp

Sorry Lenny!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Staffords numbers are better than I thought..

Imagine if he didn’t drop as many! Lol

I’m not the biggest Stafford fan at all, to inconsistent... but he’s only 27 right and knows the system..

We will see

Part of me is hoping someone beats kenny out come camp

Sorry Lenny!
    Had a great start to 2018 and tailed off as the year went. I like his commitment to the team and community but would also like to see an upgrade.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Had a great start to 2018 and tailed off as the year went. I like his commitment to the team and community but would also like to see an upgrade.
    One of my observations about Kenny is that he's shown to be better as a #3 option. Early in the year, when Duke and D-Walk were lighting it up, Kenny was feasting too. After Walker went down, he tailed off too.

He's a guy that has been at his best running free rather than going up for 50-50 balls, and I felt there was too much of that last year. Perhaps that was by design, reflective of poor pass protection, or even the all-around struggles of the offence in the fall (including some of the worst football we've seen from Reilly in a few years).

When a vet gets beat out by a guy that steps up and takes the job, that's ultimately good for the team. When he loses the job by not being ready to compete, that's less so. I hope he's as motivated to compete as I think he is.

vCash

One of my observations about Kenny is that he's shown to be better as a #3 option. Early in the year, when Duke and D-Walk were lighting it up, Kenny was feasting too. After Walker went down, he tailed off too.

He's a guy that has been at his best running free rather than going up for 50-50 balls, and I felt there was too much of that last year. Perhaps that was by design, reflective of poor pass protection, or even the all-around struggles of the offence in the fall (including some of the worst football we've seen from Reilly in a few years).

When a vet gets beat out by a guy that steps up and takes the job, that's ultimately good for the team. When he loses the job by not being ready to compete, that's less so. I hope he's as motivated to compete as I think he is.
    Accurate assessment in my eyes. I'm a big Stafford the person fan and he can be a deep threat when needed but should a rookie or one of our second year guys like Shuler, take a step forward, he'll be the first domino to fall, at least in my eyes.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Accurate assessment in my eyes. I'm a big Stafford the person fan and he can be a deep threat when needed but should a rookie or one of our second year guys like Shuler, take a step forward, he'll be the first domino to fall, at least in my eyes.
    I actually forgot about Shuler!

Big year for him..

He could be this years Mitchell if he gets the chance

vCash

I actually forgot about Shuler!

Big year for him..

He could be this years Mitchell if he gets the chance

ya new playbook stuff for him to share on social media again

vCash

vCash

... and with all the news today, I'm very excited to start hearing the training camp reports.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    ya new playbook stuff for him to share on social media again
    Cool! Lol

vCash

... and with all the news today, I'm very excited to start hearing the training camp reports.
    Darn right. Looks like we lost one of our super camp " reporters" this year though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

Only 2 draft picks not signed: 1st rounder Mathieu Betts (attending Chicago Bears camp) and 5th rounder Evan Machibroda (going back to school to finish his degree). Great job getting their buy in to come in to compete - we have done exceptionally well getting draft picks to stick with the team the last 5 years or so, with only Doug Corby/DJ Lalama in 2016, Justin Senior in 2017 and 2018's Blair Zerr not signing at least a PR spot with the club. Definitely a far cry from 2013, when we drafted 7 players and only had Kyle Norris and Elie Ngoyi get signed with the team - though Stefan Charles could still come north and sign here.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Happy for Mitchell - hope he gets a legit shot.

vCash

Hopefully he fairs better with them than Walker did
    #PizStrong

vCash

The Almighty really is the best agent.

vCash

Mason Woods - released. Thoughts? I don't think he even played a game for the Eskimos did he?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Mason Woods - released. Thoughts? I don't think he even played a game for the Eskimos did he?
    Unfortunate. The kid looked like he had potential, but I'm guessing he just didn't show enough growth to warrant a PR spot. Time to move on.

vCash

Yeah, that was a big disappointment. I had hopes Woods would turn into something more for us but it never came to fruition.

I recognize a few names in that list of signings too. Joseph was with the Als' and Lucky Daniels was a guy I kept an eye on when I was doing work with Ridley Scouting. Could be some good Canadian D-line depth.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The DB Josh Johnson looks familiar...

EDIT: just looked him up, and if it's the right Josh Johnson, it looks like he's spent time with the Lions, Redblacks, and Ti-Cats as well.
    Last edited by OK14; 05-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wonderful news...the best of luck to him!
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I guess we were going to lose Franklin anyway but it still stings that Woods didn't progress as expected. Never even got off the PR last year.

We signed a receiver named Viamontes Cotera, Diego Jair. I could imagine good one Catcus Jack Wells pronouncing that one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I guess we were going to lose Franklin anyway but it still stings that Woods didn't progress as expected. Never even got off the PR last year.

We signed a receiver named Viamontes Cotera, Diego Jair. I could imagine good one Catcus Jack Wells pronouncing that one.
    If woods was ever gonna be a stud Argos wouldn’t have traded him.. quality olinemen are like gold dust.. u don’t let em go
    The fact he was stuck on the Argos roster or pr not making it then coming here and not showing anything... some guys just don’t trend upward enough..

Plus if the esks are happy to jettison a no lineman they gotta be happy with what they have or / drafted..

vCash

If woods was ever gonna be a stud Argos wouldnít have traded him.. quality olinemen are like gold dust.. u donít let em go
    The fact he was stuck on the Argos roster or pr not making it then coming here and not showing anything... some guys just donít trend upward enough..

Plus if the esks are happy to jettison a no lineman they gotta be happy with what they have or / drafted..
    I was really optimistic about Woods, so this is disappointing. It's not shocking, though, considering the good amount of young, Canadian OL depth the Esks have accumulated. Seeing his spot on the depth chart going in though, it does make me wonder if he showed up out of shape or hadn't progressed as planned.

vCash