Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

3 years ago today... seems like so long ago...

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    I was shocked Groulx didn't play this year. Came out of the great program at Laval as a mature, pro ready prospect. Started games as a rookie. Injuries slowed him down a bit, but he seemed ready for a starters role - was big and mean and had paid his dues. I understood the Esks didn't want to pay him starter money so he tested the market. Didn't end up anywhere all year. I was shocked that Montreal or Saskatchewan didn't sign him. Eskimos could have used him, as we were playing 3 Americans at the end of the year.
    Wasn’t he having problems with his back?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Really don't know. But the AAF season starts in February.

The CFL isn't the kind of league that can survive a work stoppage, and the CFL draft takes place in May, so best scenario is January. Bad scenario is spring. Worst scenario is no more CFL.
    Oh I know I'm pretty excited about it I must say, ever since the start of the league I've been a Birmingham fan....Go Ham!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    When are they expected to negotiate a new CBA? Is there a timeframe to this? Knowing the braintrust of the CFL I'm assuming 2 weeks after free agency starts
    The current CBA is set to expire just before training camp in May, but I believe that negotiations will start right away, and there are already numerous shots fired. While there are plenty of reasons why this should be a collaborative process, I am very much concerned that it won't be.

One of the more interesting exchanges in recent days is showing on Three Down Nation - where Ottawa's GM, Desjardins is fairly emphatically expressing that the cap won't go up or at least not by much - pretty interesting given that negotiations haven't started, and implies a harder line stance by the league, but is also obviously rhetoric to get some of his own free agents to re-sign prior to a new CBA being worked out - he's creating some urgency, whether false or real. He also spoke of the 1-year contracts really working against any continuity in teams for fans to be able to bond with players being there. Brian Ramsay, ED of the CFLPA fired back that with teams being able to cut a guy anytime with no compensation, that all contracts are essentially year-to-year anyways, and that players would likely be happy to sign longer contracts if there was equal commitment on both sides. He also pointed to coaches and management earning substantially more than players in many cases, and having guaranteed contracts. Obviously, there isn't going to be guaranteed player contracts coming about, but equally obvious to me is that the PA isn't going to settle for an inconsequential bump in the cap either.

Between the leverage that Ambrosie is continuing to employ in prohibiting teams to offer off-season bonuses until a CBA is done, and some of the rhetoric that is ramping up, even though neither side can afford a work stoppage, I do believe this will be more contentious than any previous deal - and they often dragged out right to the deadline.

For a team like the Eskimos in particular, a prolonged delay hurts them disproportionately. Coming off hosting a GC where we historically see a drop, having the uncertainty around the return of the face of the franchise, and having a deteriorating grip on the loyalty of their fan base from an organizational/mgmt perspective, season ticket sales are going to be a real uphill battle. While I fully believe that Reilly will explore free agency even if a CBA gets done next month, it would at least have the opportunity to have the structure of a deal in place and the ability to take care of other signings that show him the commitment to winning, well in advance of him testing things.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a Mason Woods. Can't remember him dressing for a game either with the Argos or us. This will be his 3rd CFL year. Starting to look like a Danny Groulx X 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    An excellent depth player who can play many positions? Under rated how much we missed having guys like that this year. Not good enough to be a consistent starter but can give you a game or 2 without a huge downgrade. I'm looking specifically at that position on the OL and the secondary depth. We just did not have it.
    I had a lot of optimism going into training camp, but it was pretty obvious that Woods wasn't up to the level necessary at that point. I haven't given up on him, but he'll have to show some significant development to live up to his promise. Really underscores what a crap shoot the CFL draft can be, with 1st rd picks going nowhere and later round guys turning it into solid careers. While diety-given talent can get you to the draft, it's work, smarts and commitment to take you to success at the next level.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    3 years ago today... seems like so long ago...

That must have been one hell of an awkward flight.

vCash

why do you think the cup is between them

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    why do you think the cup is between them
    He prob didn’t even get of the plane, stayed on and feel right to ask with the rest of the staff lol

vCash

vCash

Big news

- - - Updated - - -

“As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,” said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks

vCash

Big news

- - - Updated - - -

“As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,” said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks
    As long as we're not just gonna promote from within and give it to miles.. We need a fresh approach... Otherwise we may have well kept bene..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    As long as we're not just gonna promote from within and give it to miles.. We need a fresh approach... Otherwise we may have well kept bene..
    I'm wondering if Demetrious Maxie has a shot? I know he's only been coaching in the CFL for three years, but he seems to really have a lot of respect among the players.
    Would Mark Nelson in Ottawa be a candidate to consider? I know it was a tough year for him as DC in 2012, but that was a very different time for our club.

vCash

I'm wondering if Demetrious Maxie has a shot? I know he's only been coaching in the CFL for three years, but he seems to really have a lot of respect among the players.
    Would Mark Nelson in Ottawa be a candidate to consider? I know it was a tough year for him as DC in 2012, but that was a very different time for our club.
    I think Maxie could work. It wasn't him that signed a 220 lb. DE and designed a D that had our DT's with a huge gap between them on occasion. They just washed our MLB out of the play and opposing RB's fatten their average on that D formation.

vCash
    Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

vCash

vCash

A nice reward for years of loyal service. I remember reading an article about him a few years back mentioning it was an amazing number of CIS games he scouted each year. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere . So, does that make Sunderland's addition to the scouting staff, Chris Milo, our chief Cdn. talent evaluator ?

Ouch, that’s a legitimately big loss.

vCash

So, now we need to replace three Coordinators, Main Scout, and a bunch of Free Agents... gonna be a very different team next year.

Go ESKS!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Ouch, that’s a legitimately big loss.
    Montreal have already fired several coaches to including tucker... I’d expect every team to have to cut ties with some real good people

Again this sasks fault for having a 21 man coaching staff, prob all on higher wages Then the rest of the league..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sticker View Post
    So, now we need to replace three Coordinators, Main Scout, and a bunch of Free Agents... gonna be a very different team next year.

Go ESKS!

U would expect us to promote at least 1 ( Oc ) from within . It will prob be 2 ( if it’s internal I hope it’s maxie over baron ) to save some cash..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Montreal have already fired several coaches to including tucker... I’d expect every team to have to cut ties with some real good people

Again this sasks fault for having a 21 man coaching staff, prob all on higher wages Then the rest of the league..

- - - Updated - - -

U would expect us to promote at least 1 ( Oc ) from within . It will prob be 2 ( if it’s internal I hope it’s maxie over baron ) to save some cash..
    Wow you really begin to wonder if this is going to impact the quality of play league wide next season. It's one thing to get rid of 21 man coaching staffs but when teams are letting go of quality coaches and scouting personnel and having to replace them with guys that have very little experience and forcing head coaches to also double up as coordinators I can't help but think that this is going to impact the overall product. Was there really a need to do this from a financial point of view?
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I guess the esks now do what the fans do. Look at tsn and follow duane fordes list of canadians.

vCash

Wat to go CHED ! Shades of the old Woodward’s Knot Hole Gang. That’s how you build a fan base. Cudos.

vCash

Well. A little ray of sunshine in this gloom.