Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1071

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    It’s not that simple. It’s not like all of a sudden you have an all-star QB and completely suck everywhere else.

If you bring in someone like Mike or Bo, other (good) players are willing to take a bit of a discount to play with him and, ultimately, to win. Not everyone, but some.

As Ed said in his interview on Vancouver 650 yesterday, the CFL has turned itself into a journeyman’s league, so it’s basically a calculated risk for 1-2 years.
    I haven't heard the interview but that's a good analogy.. No one stays anywhere anymore....

As for the 700k qb I believe in the current day and age of the CFL players are looking out for number 1 they won't take that big of a cut to play with Reilly...
    We will see.. its so draw. Out now... I'm just ready to move forward with or without Mike ( fingers crossed with )
    Last edited by cmbuk; 02-09-2019 at 11:01 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Itís not that simple. Itís not like all of a sudden you have an all-star QB and completely suck everywhere else.

If you bring in someone like Mike or Bo, other (good) players are willing to take a bit of a discount to play with him and, ultimately, to win. Not everyone, but some.

As Ed said in his interview on Vancouver 650 yesterday, the CFL has turned itself into a journeymanís league, so itís basically a calculated risk for 1-2 years.
    Not just that, but how many years in a row has an Esk receiver been tops in the league and got a shot at the NFL? Receivers will line up to play with Reilly for that shot. I have a feeling Walker is following Reilly where ever he ends up.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    Not just that, but how many years in a row has an Esk receiver been tops in the league and got a shot at the NFL? Receivers will line up to play with Reilly for that shot. I have a feeling Walker is following Reilly where ever he ends up.
    Is it just Reilly though? I'd think its a combo of the system and Reilly with perhaps more emphasis on the system

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Is it just Reilly though? I'd think its a combo of the system and Reilly with perhaps more emphasis on the system
    Reilly is playing in a much better system than he was under McAdoo. It certainly benefits the receivers.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Reilly is playing in a much better system than he was under McAdoo. It certainly benefits the receivers.
    Stats bear that out. Reilly's passing yards:

With McAdoo:
    2013: 4207 yards
    2014 (15 games): 3327 yards (prorates to 3992 yards)
    2015 (10 games): 2449 yards (prorates to 4408 yards)

With Maas:
    2016: 5554 yards
    2017: 5830 yards
    2018: 5562 yards

Someone get this info to Mike ASAP. (As if he doesn't already know!)
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Stats bear that out. Reilly's passing yards:

With McAdoo:
    2013: 4207 yards
    2014 (15 games): 3327 yards (prorates to 3992 yards)
    2015 (10 games): 2449 yards (prorates to 4408 yards)

With Maas:
    2016: 5554 yards
    2017: 5830 yards
    2018: 5562 yards

Someone get this info to Mike ASAP. (As if he doesn't already know!)
    And burris’s numbers were also similar iirc.. this is why I’m a firm believer in system.. I believe maas’s System works from his time in ott to Edm.. which is also why god forbid we lose mike.. we’re gonna be alright!

- - - Updated - - -

Believe in the system

vCash

The system can also benefit from the receivers. When comparing the McAdoo era with that of Maas it can't done without considering that the talent level of the receiving group under McAdoo was nowhere near the one Maas has enjoyed. For McAdoo it was pretty much Bowman and Stamps followed by Bowman and Walker supported by a committee of journeymen. He didn't have Maas' luxury of a 3rd of 4th dangerous target to open up a more dynamic passing offense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The system can also benefit from the receivers. When comparing the McAdoo era with that of Maas it can't done without considering that the talent level of the receiving group under McAdoo was nowhere near the one Maas has enjoyed. For McAdoo it was pretty much Bowman and Stamps followed by Bowman and Walker supported by a committee of journeymen. He didn't have Maas' luxury of a 3rd of 4th dangerous target to open up a more dynamic passing offense.
    Not sure that’s as true as u think..
    Our wr turnover since maas came in has been heavy ( some nfl jumpers ) plus the 2017 injury season.. so we’re not as star studded as u think..

System proves it makes stars.. just look at the last 2 leading wrs in the cfl... u want to play in maas’s system if your a wr.. especially if your lookkkg to be to the next level!

vCash

Agreed... I haven't seen much difference in talent levels considered at the beginning of the season from then to now. I have seen guys who became receiving stars, once they got into the lineup.

Long may that continue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Agreed... I haven't seen much difference in talent levels considered at the beginning of the season from then to now. I have seen guys who became receiving stars, once they got into the lineup.

Long may that continue.
    Amen!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Not sure that’s as true as u think..
    Our wr turnover since maas came in has been heavy ( some nfl jumpers ) plus the 2017 injury season.. so we’re not as star studded as u think..

System proves it makes stars.. just look at the last 2 leading wrs in the cfl... u want to play in maas’s system if your a wr.. especially if your lookkkg to be to the next level!
    I don't know. I see quite a bit of difference. The top 6 receivers in order of yardage:
    2013: Stamps, Bowman, Coehoorn, Henry, Koch, Chambers
    2014: Bowman, Stamps, Coehoorn, Lawrence, Guyton, Chambers
    2015: Bowman, Walker, Stafford, Lawrence, Watson, Coehoorn
    2016: Bowman, Walker, Zylstra, White, Getzlaf, Watson
    2017: Zylstra, Williams, Hazleton, Walker, Bowman, Mitchell
    2018: Williams, Walker, Mitchell, Stafford, Hazleton, Behar

Call me crazy but those groups of 2017 and 2018 should scare any opposing DC as should the 2016 group once Zylstra was added fulltime. The ones prior to that shouldn't cause a DC to lose a lot of sleep beyond the top 2.

vCash

At the time, there wasn't much difference in the "scare" factor. Stamps still scared a lot of people at that time; Chambers was thought to be the next big Canadian threat. No one had heard of Zylstra, Mitchell, and even Duke when they came here. Duke was seen as one-dimensional even after 2017. Looking back, yeah, these guys in 2017 and 2018 look scary. But they became scary when they were here. The system helped bring these guys to where they are.

Enjoying the discussion, Hammer

vCash

It's somewhat of a chicken and egg thing. We assess the talent of the receivers largely based on production (ie stats), and those stats are accumulated within a system and because of the guys playing around them, as well as their own talent.

I don't believe that Reilly's passing yards went up strictly due to receiving talent, but more so, that the system called for a deeper pool of receiving talent to spread the ball around, and that system was developed to take advantage of Reilly's skill set. Maas needed receiving talent to make the system work, and Hervey and others in the player personnel dept went out and did a great job of stocking the roster.

The receivers that earned NFL shots had the talent needed to be recognized worthy of a shot - that is determined by football people watching film and not just us fans assessing 1000 yd seasons. They honed that talent under Maas and were able to showcase it due to a system and a QB that elevated it into results.

Take the QB out of the system, and he may not be as effective.

Take the QB out of the system, and the system is almost certainly not as effective.

Take the receiving depth and talent out of the system, and the QB and system are not likely to be as effective.

It's a three-legged stool that wobbles when a leg gets changed out. All proving that continuity - a QB in a system built for him with talented receivers is the most likely recipe for success. (At least in terms of offensive production)

The premise is that anything other than Mike Reilly is a step down. I think it is fair to say that a system, other than Maas' is also likely a step down. Should likely be a clear exception for Bo and Cgy in those statements, and possibly even Ottawa's systems that have produced multiple 1000 receivers. The question is whether the depth of receiver talent is something that could be restocked to allow for continuity in Edm if Reilly came back. To me, that's where selling the vision and plan comes in for Maas/Sunderland.

vCash

Dean Millard is tweeting that Walker's likely going to sign in BC as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    BC gonna have a lot of rookies around their high paid vets. Seems similar to the the way LA Rams just loaded up.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    That was before they announced the Burnham extension. Lot's of money tied up between him and Reilly; almost a cool mil.

vCash

vCash

Esks re-signed 5 players just now, according to the app.

OT Colin Kelly (ugh)
    FB/RB Calvin McCarty (Yeah!)
    DB Forrest Hightower (Solid)
    WR Kenny Stafford (Solid)
    LS Ryan King (Yeah!)

vCash

vCash

OOh. That's what you'd call a sexy signing to use Oiler terminology.

vCash

Good job on Smith

vCash

Smith is a good get.

If we manage to keep Riley and make some other key signings, I feel optimistic about this season.

vCash

Whoa... Tevaun Smith! I never thought we would see him here.

FANTASTIC get!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Esks re-signed 5 players just now, according to the app.

OT Colin Kelly (ugh)
    FB/RB Calvin McCarty (Yeah!)
    DB Forrest Hightower (Solid)
    WR Kenny Stafford (Solid)
    LS Ryan King (Yeah!)
    I agree on the Kelly signing I would have looked elsewhere for cheaper and not a turnstile ,and not sure on staffford really.If we can get Harris ,Franklin,Strevlar or Jennings now and with the signing of Canadian receiver Smith things are looking up slowly

- - - Updated - - -

That is fine if we lose Walker as he is replaced by T.Smith our highly touted receiver we just signed today which I think is a huge signing

vCash

I am not a fan of stafford.
    Kelly should have to fight for his job.
    Smith is a nice signing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Smith is a good get.

If we manage to keep Riley and make some other key signings, I feel optimistic about this season.
    Still holding out hope TMac? I like your optimism, but he’s gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I am not a fan of stafford.
    Kelly should have to fight for his job.
    Smith is a nice signing.

Stafford has always been a tough one for me. He tends to get a bit pouty and his effort seems to reflect it, if he doesn’t get the ball. If he doesn’t have a good camp, he could be the odd man out come June.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Still holding out hope TMac? I like your optimism, but he’s gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Stafford has always been a tough one for me. He tends to get a bit pouty and his effort seems to reflect it, if he doesn’t get the ball. If he doesn’t have a good camp, he could be the odd man out come June.
    Ugh. I know. I'm holding out hope. If I'm Mike Reilly, having Len Rhodes gone totally changes my opinion. If I was him, I'd use his power to leverage the person into power he would want. And if BLM goes to the NFL, the league is wide open and any team with Reilly instantly volts to contention in my opinion.

vCash

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

According to Ryan Rishaug, Mike Reilly will sign a 4 year deal starting at 700K tomorrow morning. Edmonton was willing to match the contract.

vCash

Maybe the Smith signing , being a ratio changer, might open up the safety spot to an import unless they give Colquhoun a shot there.