Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1437

Thread: 2018 Offseason

  1. #1321
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,591
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Wouldn't want to say I'm old but in my day Red Rider was a western tv hero who rode the range with his sidekick Little Beaver.
    If you think this "Red Rider" is too new-fangled for you, then you are REALLY old . They started in 1975.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  2. #1322
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,453
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    98

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    You guys are part of the lunatic fringe over half time shows. Makes me white hot.

  3. #1323
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,404
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    543

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    If you think this "Red Rider" is too new-fangled for you, then you are REALLY old . They started in 1975.
    I'm still a youngster. I'll only be 73 in May.

  4. #1324
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,269
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post



    I see that we are not done with the half time shows with washed up performers.

  5. #1325
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,801
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    433

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You guys are part of the lunatic fringe over half time shows. Makes me white hot.
    Ooooh, a white hot Beerfish almost gives me a woodly!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

  6. #1326
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,801
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    433

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I see that we are not done with the half time shows with washed up performers.
    What is your definition of washed up? Acts that were the backbone of the industry back when and don't have any recent hits are washed up? Rock and Roll will never die!!!!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

  7. #1327
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,311
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Considering how we've been asking for more rock music and less Beyonce during the game, I think this is perfect.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  8. #1328
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,529
    vCash
    5016
    Rep Power
    1035

    Re: 2018 Offseason


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  9. #1329
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,564
    vCash
    3407
    Rep Power
    192

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Considering how we've been asking for more rock music and less Beyonce during the game, I think this is perfect.
    Why would anyone want less Beyoncé?!?!

  10. #1330
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,986
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    231

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Considering how we've been asking for more rock music and less Beyonce during the game, I think this is perfect.
    Less Beyonce MUSIC Beyonce is more than welcome to come anytime in fact if there are no empty seats I'll volunteer my lap
    In Rod we trust

  11. #1331
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Isle of Van
    Posts
    68
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Last edited by TinFoilHat; 05-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'...
    -Jayne Cobb Firefly

  12. #1332
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    720

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post
    He's a great story, would love to see him succeed.

    https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2019/01...ice-squad-sitv
    #PizStrong

  13. #1333
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,311
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Why would anyone want less Beyoncé?!?!
    Beyonce music belongs in an uppity, low-lit exclusive lounge or one of those artsy ATB commercials...not in a football stadium, where the goal is to pump up, not chill out.

    On that note, as much as I hate to say it... The Eskimos need to hire the Oilers' DJ. I went to the 8-4 W against LA and couldn't help but notice the abundance of rock and the lack of cheese. Great mix of old and new, and stuff that made me think that I was at a playoff game instead of a meaningless post-elimination match.

    But out of all the awesome songs they played, my favorite was this "Smoke on the Water" cover by 2WEI during the pregame intro. I'd love to see the Esks use this...



    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    He's a great story, would love to see him succeed.

    https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2019/01...ice-squad-sitv
    X2.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  14. #1334
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,504
    vCash
    675
    Rep Power
    361

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Not sure where he will fit in, but I'm really curious to see what Money Hunter does in year two. He had a couple of bad moments last year, but I thought he really adapted well to the CFL field. He's only 23 and has potential. I think he could have a surprising year.
    Regarding safety - I can't see us going international. I expect Hoover to be #1 on the depth chart.
    Aaron Grymes is one of Money Hunter's biggest fans. Always interesting to see what both teammates and opponents think of other players when trying to project where they're headed. Game recognizes game, but also it's often indicative of the kind of teammate that they are. I'm looking for Hunter to step up and earn a full-time starting spot this year.

    Nick Taylor is another guy that's got a full season under his belt now too with 14 starts last year for us after a few half-seasons in Ottawa. At 31, he's more likely going to be kept for "the now" rather than "the future", but showed he can play.

    Tyquwan Glass is intriguing, and I'm hoping he's able to step up and show well. Played a half season with the Als last year, and had two years of NFL looks with 4 teams. A former Fresno State Bulldog, just like the ST coach and still only 24 years old.

    Mo McKnight is another returnee, having started 5 games for us last season. Little more size and a young 23 (March birthday).

    Bryan Walker is another guy that has played in the CFL - 15 gmaes for the Bombers in 2017 before spending time on our PR last year.

    Bottom line - in a cap league, when we're spending up on LB, QB, LT, WR, etc, we're going to have to find guys that can play on rookie contracts and out-perform them. It's great to have the comfort of veteran guys, and AJ Orange (all-star last year) and Forrest Hightower should give us some of that, but when we had our most recent success in 2015 it was guys like McCoil, Lacey and Grymes emerging to play key roles - first and second year players stepping up. This year is a test, both for the new personnel guys brought in, and also for Brock, to see whether the recruiting/talent assessment can match the additions of existing CFL guys through free agency.

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Would be so nice for someone to step up and be better than average at the national S spot. You and a couple of others that were at last year's training camp believe that the talent is there possibly just experience and confidence were lacking before.

    When Bond was in Winnipeg he was an absolute road grading monster. Don't know if it was the bad experience in Regina for him or being a bit more overweight or scheme but he seemed average to me here, especially for an import. If he plays at the level he did for the Bombers that left side of our Oline will really be something special.
    Hoover, Beaulieu and Onyeka all have potential to play in this league for a long time, and the challenge is not making up our minds on them too soon when they're still learning and adjusting. The temptation is to remember Hoover getting inserted at Corner for a few games due to injury... and specifically when guys got behind him a few times. Happens to all players as they learn, and it's a matter of what they take from it, how they apply it, and whether they have the ability to improve and progress. By all reports, Hoover is a smart kid, Beaulieu a big hitter, and Onyeka a real athlete, and imo, it's too early to "define" any of them as to what they'll be at the CFL level. Hoping one or more of them takes the next step forward - both on defence, as well as on special teams.

    With Bond - I wasn't sold on his signing. I can't recall if it was after moving MoD to LT, but I think that he performed pretty well at times. More than what he did last year, I'm looking forward to seeing what he and SirV can do in tandem on that left side going forward. Thinking back to the "Insights from the Locker Room" podcast by Derek Dennis and Tyler Johnson, and the importance they were placing on a LT having a really good LG to free him up to do his thing. I think SirV will make Bond better, and vice-versa... and if SirV can actually elevate from a few seasons where he was only allowing 9 pressures per season, that will be a great sign for our offence. If it comes down to using an import at LG to improve that stability for the offence/QB rather than at safety, I don't have a problem with that.

  15. #1335
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    720

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Nice interview with Diggs on the Jamieson show

    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-12...aMWB1I5ve8Gwlk
    #PizStrong

  16. #1336
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,211
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post
    http://draftanalyst.com/vontae-diggs


    Bio:


    Two-year starter who finished second on the team with 77 tackles (3.5 for loss) in 2017. Made 84 tackles (eight for loss) as a junior while adding a sack. Contributed 22 tackles as a backup and special teamer during his first two seasons with the Huskies.


    Pos:


    Productive linebacker with average athleticism for the next level. Breaks down well, uses his hands well and displays a solid head for the ball. Instinctive, effective in space and shows speed moving laterally in pursuit of the action. Very aggressive, easily changes direction and plays faster than his 40 time. Strong, wraps up ball carriers and brings opponents down at the point of attack.


    Neg:


    Slow to react in coverage. Really doesn’t make many plays when the ball is in the air. Average size.


    Analysis:


    Diggs was a solid run-defending linebacker at UConn who lacks size and versatility. He could back up on the inside of a 3-4 alignment if he plays well on special teams this summer.

    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

  17. #1337
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,277
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    139

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Congrats to Simeon on a great career...appropriate that he retires an Eskimo.

    https://www.esks.com/2019/05/03/sime...y-retires-cfl/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  18. #1338
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    720

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    #PizStrong

  19. #1339
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,404
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    543

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Doesn't have much luck finding a steady gig. I guess Korey Jones is a cheaper backup to Dean.

  20. #1340
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,952
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    105

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Did you not argue with me about how awesome he is when I didn't dance in the streets about the Esks signing him? I believe so.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  21. #1341
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,529
    vCash
    5016
    Rep Power
    1035

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    ---------------

    Dave Campbell was saying Lolley probably prefers Korey Jones over Reed. We have a lot of linebackers, so somebody gotta go.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  22. #1342
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,801
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    433

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Did you not argue with me about how awesome he is when I didn't dance in the streets about the Esks signing him? I believe so.
    I think your opinion probably tipped the balance against him.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

  23. #1343
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    720

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Did you not argue with me about how awesome he is when I didn't dance in the streets about the Esks signing him? I believe so.
    You are absolutely correct and I still believe hes a great linebacker but when you sign Dean, Unamba and Santos Knox...... something had to give.
    #PizStrong

  24. #1344
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    968
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Cappiccioti was just released by Hamilton. Might we have some interest in bringing him back for depth behind Boateng in the event we don’t see Betts this year?

  25. #1345
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,229
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    205

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    Cappiccioti was just released by Hamilton. Might we have some interest in bringing him back for depth behind Boateng in the event we don’t see Betts this year?
    It’s obv a cap hit.,I’m not sure we have the room but if we did.. I wouldn’t mind having him back in rotation

  26. #1346
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,277
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    139

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Gregor interviewed Jason Maas a couple of days ago. Didn't see it posted anywhere so thought I would put it up here. Am getting to the point where I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the season...fingers crossed that there is no strike.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-jason-g...y/MaasMay3.mp3
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  27. #1347
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    258
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Mercy Maston released by the Philadelphia Eagles. Would love him back. Only 26 and impressed in the action he got over last two seasons. This could be that big, physical and intimidating S that we been craving. If Mercy wants to come north, I hope BS gets it done. Secondary and Receiver are two areas that I will be watching closely this camp. Maston would ease my concerns a bit....

    Any chance one of Williams, Mitchell or Zylstra shake lose from their NFL aspirations? If one comes available, I hope BShas enough room in the bank to not get outbid.... All three would gain significant interest across the league... my gut tells me Williams of the three is most likely to get cut. I have a feelin Mitchel sticks....

    My 3 cents...

  28. #1348
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,504
    vCash
    675
    Rep Power
    361

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Mercy Maston released by the Philadelphia Eagles. Would love him back. Only 26 and impressed in the action he got over last two seasons. This could be that big, physical and intimidating S that we been craving. If Mercy wants to come north, I hope BS gets it done. Secondary and Receiver are two areas that I will be watching closely this camp. Maston would ease my concerns a bit....

    Any chance one of Williams, Mitchell or Zylstra shake lose from their NFL aspirations? If one comes available, I hope BShas enough room in the bank to not get outbid.... All three would gain significant interest across the league... my gut tells me Williams of the three is most likely to get cut. I have a feelin Mitchel sticks....

    My 3 cents...
    Mercy knows that the club worked with him through the rehab of the Achilles and I would think this would be first choice if heading back to the CFL. Sad to see that his NFL shot didn't go a little further.

    I would say that there is close to zero chance on Zylstra or Williams shaking loose, but it's going to be a much tougher road for Mitchell in Arizona. They invested in Christian Kirk in last year's draft, signed former draft bust(?) Kevin White from Chicago, and picked up Andy Isabella (late Rd 2), Hakeem Butler (Rd 4) and Keesean Johnson (Rd 6) as additional WRs. That means they've got 11 WRs under contract and another 3 drafted. In total, they've got 85 players under contract with 11 draft picks to sign, and a limit of 90 players that can be on the off-season roster.

    Zylstra, on the other hand, proved himself a roster player last year, even though he wasn't able to get much involvement in the offence. Given his preparation and mental game, I would expect that he'll be pressuring guys like Laquon Treadwell for a promotion to 3WR sets at times this year.

    Williams, from early reports, is being talked of as a sleeper, and has a few things going for him - hype and promise earlier in his career before it got off-track, and a more concrete body of work as a top receiver in the CFL game. While Mitchell has film, which is crucial, Williams did a lot week-in-and-week-out, playing through injury to lead the league. Buffalo has been developing Zay Jones and acquired John Brown and Cole Beasley (slot), and in fairness, Williams doesn't even make the ESPN depth chart that goes 6 deep beyond the 2 starters. On the one at https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF, he's 7/8 out of 9 when separating out the Slot receivers.

    Mitchell would be in fairly significant demand if he returned to the CFL, and while there is familiarity with Edmonton and affinity for the team, he's got a family to feed, so money would have to talk after he's been so patient in working toward where he's at now.

  29. #1349
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    720

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Mercy knows that the club worked with him through the rehab of the Achilles and I would think this would be first choice if heading back to the CFL. Sad to see that his NFL shot didn't go a little further.

    I would say that there is close to zero chance on Zylstra or Williams shaking loose, but it's going to be a much tougher road for Mitchell in Arizona. They invested in Christian Kirk in last year's draft, signed former draft bust(?) Kevin White from Chicago, and picked up Andy Isabella (late Rd 2), Hakeem Butler (Rd 4) and Keesean Johnson (Rd 6) as additional WRs. That means they've got 11 WRs under contract and another 3 drafted. In total, they've got 85 players under contract with 11 draft picks to sign, and a limit of 90 players that can be on the off-season roster.

    Zylstra, on the other hand, proved himself a roster player last year, even though he wasn't able to get much involvement in the offence. Given his preparation and mental game, I would expect that he'll be pressuring guys like Laquon Treadwell for a promotion to 3WR sets at times this year.

    Williams, from early reports, is being talked of as a sleeper, and has a few things going for him - hype and promise earlier in his career before it got off-track, and a more concrete body of work as a top receiver in the CFL game. While Mitchell has film, which is crucial, Williams did a lot week-in-and-week-out, playing through injury to lead the league. Buffalo has been developing Zay Jones and acquired John Brown and Cole Beasley (slot), and in fairness, Williams doesn't even make the ESPN depth chart that goes 6 deep beyond the 2 starters. On the one at https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF, he's 7/8 out of 9 when separating out the Slot receivers.

    Mitchell would be in fairly significant demand if he returned to the CFL, and while there is familiarity with Edmonton and affinity for the team, he's got a family to feed, so money would have to talk after he's been so patient in working toward where he's at now.
    Another great breakdown. With all the free agents we signed, I would guess we would have to cut guys to make room. Like cmbuk always says, believe in the system and let the next one step into place at a cheaper rate.
    #PizStrong

  30. #1350
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,269
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: 2018 Offseason

    I saw that Mercy Maston was waived by the Eagles today. I would not mind seeing him back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •