Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1437

Thread: 2018 Offseason

vCash

Re: 2018 Offseason

Any word on what Stefan Charles’ plans are for this season? Any chance he comes up to the CFL?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I saw that Mercy Maston was waived by the Eagles today. I would not mind seeing him back.
    I was shocked he got signed in the NFL. My memories of Maston is him getting beat deep over and over and over again.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I was shocked he got signed in the NFL. My memories of Maston is him getting beat deep over and over and over again.
    I don’t think his physical press man style was a fit in Bene’s system, he’s definitely an athletic guy though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I don’t think his physical press man style was a fit in Bene’s system, he’s definitely an athletic guy though.
    I'm actually expecting a lot more from our D this year. A good coordinator can take the pieces they have and make them work. IMO Bene's system was to vanilla, putting guys in positions where the offence knew exactly where to attack. I don't think this will be the case with Lolley. Will be interesting to see how guys like Money Hunter make out with a new scheme.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm actually expecting a lot more from our D this year. A good coordinator can take the pieces they have and make them work. IMO Bene's system was to vanilla, putting guys in positions where the offence knew exactly where to attack. I don't think this will be the case with Lolley. Will be interesting to see how guys like Money Hunter make out with a new scheme.
    Agree, I think Phil Lolly is this off-seasons biggest acquisition that no one's talking about and will be a BIG part of our surprise turn around this year.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

Name sounds familiar - wasn't he a coach for us several years ago?

How’s this possible? I thought all our spots were full?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    How’s this possible? I thought all our spots were full?
    William Fields got a coaching gig with the XFL so we let him go pursue it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

Seems as if William Fields has left for the XFL, opening this door.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    William Fields got a coaching gig with the XFL so we let him go pursue it.
    Guess I could have read the article lol, thanks Hugo.

Wasn’t Fields the guy Lolly brought over from Hammy?

vCash

Sunderland and the Esks showed class in letting Fields leave. Sunderland keeping his word that he would not stand in the way of staff accepting a promotion from another organization. A month ago the RedBlacks had a hissy fit when Jamie Elizondo left for the XFL. Granted the RB's took a bigger hit with Elizondo being an Off. Cord. vs Fields being a Def. Asst. I just like our "get on with it and move on attitude" vs being a drama queen.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Name sounds familiar - wasn't he a coach for us several years ago?
    Nicely remembered. He was the Asst LB coach in 2012 when Mark Nelson got promoted from LB coach to Defensive Coordinator.

He also was LB coache with the RedBlacks in 2016-17, I believe
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darius...4-61f6bc9ab4ef

Darius Jackson

Jacksonville St.
    EDGE

Prospect Info

College

Jacksonville St.

Hometown

Class

Bessemer, AL

r-Senior

Height

Weight

Arms

6' 2"

242 lbs

32”

Hands

9 1/8”

An all-state pick from Alabama in 2012, Jackson did not get an opportunity to play major college football. When given the chance to start in 2015, however, it appeared Jackson should have been a higher priority for FBS teams. He started 11 of 14 games that year, tying for the team lead with 19 tackles for loss (56 total tackles, seven sacks). Jackson really burst on the scene as a junior, garnering first-team Associated Press FCS All-American honors and Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year after making 48 tackles and leading the conference with 15.5 for loss and ten sacks. The Gamecocks' all-time leader in TFL and sacks finished his career as a repeat first-team AP All-American and OVC Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 (55 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, 23 quarterback hurries, and three forced fumbles.) Jackson redshirted at JSU in 2013, and then played in 12 games as a reserve the following fall (24 tackles, 5.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception) to start off his record-breaking career.

Overview
    Extremely productive edge player who wins with burst off the snap and a relentless motor. Jackson is more furious than fluid which worked against his level of competition but won't take him nearly as far as a pro. Despite the fact that he lacks dynamic movement and a diversified rush plan, there is something about his play strength and urgency that has the look of a pro player. While he's limited, he has a shot find a roster as a late-round backup.

Strengths
    •Times up snaps and looks to rocket into gaps looking to disrupt
    •Loves to attack hard off the edge to crash down the line and capture running back from backside
    •Hard playing style and gives no quarter throughout the rep
    •Tackles for loss and sack totals are impressive and speak to his urgency and desire
    •Physical by nature and loves to swap paint
    •Bangs with full force and heavy pads as tackler
    •Stout and strong
    •Plays under and through redirect blocks as rusher
    •Rushes with freight train mentality
    •Rip and run around the edge gives him an opening

Weaknesses
    •Awkward pre-snap setup with hips rotated away from line of scrimmage
    •Lacks height and length on the edge
    •Tight in his hips
    •Straight-liner lacking agility and fluidity in space
    •Plays a little too upright
    •Lateral burst to chase is below average
    •Face-up rusher and arc-runner
    •Missing go-to moves and counters
    •Upper and lower flexion to flow around the edge and has to win races
    •Needs to improve hand usage
    •Impact production comes from gap shots and may not translate in a more unit-oriented setting where he has to win at point of attack

Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Bryant Mitchell released today by the Az Cardinals.
    Sure hope that Brock is on the phone with his agent to see if he’s interested in returning to the Esks!

vCash

Surprised by that. Would be thrilled to have him back, but I'll bet he seeks out other NFL spots first.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I am not surprised Mitchell got cut. I think he's a good receiver, just not NFL caliber.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Surprised by that. Would be thrilled to have him back, but I'll bet he seeks out other NFL spots first.
    with young kids and his NFL shot past him, he'll be going to the highest bidder whenever he decides to come back. I would be surprised if that is us to be honest.
    #PizStrong

vCash

He will go to BC. Familiar with the QB. Hervey brought him into the league and he didn't get much of a chance in Edmonton even though he was better than both Hazelton and Stafford.

vCash
    Blog Entries

He will go to BC. Familiar with the QB. Hervey brought him into the league and he didn't get much of a chance in Edmonton even though he was better than both Hazelton and Stafford.
    Hate to say it, but this is absolutely true.

I would've much rather cut one of the other two and made Mitchell a bigger feature of the offense.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

BC has just made the tough decision to release a heart and soul, face of the franchise type player that felt he had a good-faith agreement to take a pay-cut to stay there. BC passed on Walker, and their own free agent, Devier Posey, who wanted to return. I'm not saying that Mitchell would demand that kind of money, but I'm not as convinced that there is any automatic assurance that they'd spend up on the position if he's looking for $120k or so.

Mitchell's first camp with Edmonton was 2015, so yes, there is some tie to Hervey, but not in the same way that Mike Reilly would have had a tie. Mitchell would have been a guy that Hervey signed to a contract/practice roster agreement, and not a guy that Hervey brought in to build a team around. There would, presumably, be greater ties to Reilly himself, but also potentially to guys in Edmonton, be it the coaching staff, teammates, or people in the community.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    with young kids and his NFL shot past him, he'll be going to the highest bidder whenever he decides to come back. I would be surprised if that is us to be honest.
    If Derel Walker, who is a much better receiver than Mitchell, couldn’t make it down south, then there is little hope for Mitchell....

vCash

Mitchell had to wait a very long time a for a shot at a starting position under the Hervey-led Eskimos. I don't know if loyalty will play a big factor. Probably, as Hugo says, $$$. Maybe out east.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    BC has just made the tough decision to release a heart and soul, face of the franchise type player that felt he had a good-faith agreement to take a pay-cut to stay there. BC passed on Walker, and their own free agent, Devier Posey, who wanted to return. I'm not saying that Mitchell would demand that kind of money, but I'm not as convinced that there is any automatic assurance that they'd spend up on the position if he's looking for $120k or so.

Mitchell's first camp with Edmonton was 2015, so yes, there is some tie to Hervey, but not in the same way that Mike Reilly would have had a tie. Mitchell would have been a guy that Hervey signed to a contract/practice roster agreement, and not a guy that Hervey brought in to build a team around. There would, presumably, be greater ties to Reilly himself, but also potentially to guys in Edmonton, be it the coaching staff, teammates, or people in the community.
    This ^

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

The only way we get him back IMO, is if he takes a hair cut to come back with us or if we shed Ellingson or Daniels. There is no way we are going to spend 120k + on another receiver. Mitchel is going to go where the dollars dictate as he has a young family to think of.

Doesn't seem like he's making the move north anytime soon anyways.

#PizStrong

vCash

I love Mitchell and really feel he was given a raw deal here in Edmonton. He was all class during his stay, and never complained when he was passed over despite elite production.

Despite all that though, with the potentially little cap space we have left, I don't think receiver is a priority. We have Daniels and Ellingson locked in to start along with Smith at the non-import spot. We then have Shaw (a former 1000 yard receiver and only 27 years old), Collins Jr. (a 700 yard guy and only 27), Elliott (had 8 touchdowns back in 2015 but he's slowed down of late), Stafford (almost 800 yards last year), Stangby, and a bunch of newcomers along with Parker and Adjei as non-imports competing for starting spots. We have some solid depth, and while Mitchell could be elite, I just don't think we have the room or space.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    I love Mitchell and really feel he was given a raw deal here in Edmonton. He was all class during his stay, and never complained when he was passed over despite elite production.

Despite all that though, with the potentially little cap space we have left, I don't think receiver is a priority. We have Daniels and Ellingson locked in to start along with Smith at the non-import spot. We then have Shaw (a former 1000 yard receiver and only 27 years old), Collins Jr. (a 700 yard guy and only 27), Elliott (had 8 touchdowns back in 2015 but he's slowed down of late), Stafford (almost 800 yards last year), Stangby, and a bunch of newcomers along with Parker and Adjei as non-imports competing for starting spots. We have some solid depth, and while Mitchell could be elite, I just don't think we have the room or space.

If Mitchell wants to come back you make it happen. End of Story.

I dunno about you, but I'd feel much better with Harris having his two starting Wideouts as Mitchell and Daniels and his starting SB as Ellingson. Than any of Ellliot, Shaw Stafford, Parker, or Stangby.

Mitchell - Daniels - Ellingson does a better job of easing the pain of losing Mitchel, Duke and Walker from last season . Way better than any of those other receivers do.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    If Mitchell wants to come back you make it happen. End of Story.

I dunno about you, but I'd feel much better with Harris having his two starting Wideouts as Mitchell and Daniels and his starting SB as Ellingson. Than any of Ellliot, Shaw Stafford, Parker, or Stangby.

Mitchell - Daniels - Ellingson does a better job of easing the pain of losing Mitchel, Duke and Walker from last season . Way better than any of those other receivers do.
    It would surprise me if Brock hadn't planned for some element of contingency in case Mitchell, Duke or Zylstra shake loose. The fact is, the Esks know exactly what they'd be getting in Mitchell, better than any other team. They know the person, the teammate, the community guy, the character, the practice habits, the strengths and the weaknesses. They will be well positioned to decide whether his ask will allow for them to get value, and whatever they decide will be fully informed.

We have talked about how the Esks will need to find some guys capable of overplaying their contract and delivering more bang than their bucks. An import receiver position is a logical place to look in a lot of ways, but the Esks, in recent years, have been much more effective offensively when they can work in that extra American receiver. The drop off in production last year when Walker got hurt was noticeable, so that one more guy capable of drawing coverage or exploiting one on one's may be crucial. It's not like you're having to find an additional $120k in room, but more so a case where you might need to find $55k in room to have him replace a guy signed at $65k.

I don't judge a guy's NFL chances based on whether someone else succeeded or not. Walker's not sticking down there doesn't fully predict whether Mitchell could, as it's about role, fit, skillset, chemistry, etc. Adam Bighill didn't stick, but no one is going to say he's not as good of a football player as Deon Lacey. Tevaun Smith had 3 years of attracting interest in the NFL, but it is a stretch to think he's a better receiver than Brad Sinopoli, who hasn't drawn any.

For the time being, I am hopeful Bryant gets another opportunity and a chance to compete.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 05-11-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Dang Autocorrect!