Thread: The Trust Is Gone

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Unfunny The Trust Is Gone

Today was a new low in a franchise that once was known for setting the bar. The trust in those charged to run this club has evaporated. Generational fans are giving up season tickets they have had for multiple decades, and there is a real and tangible sense of apathy.

When the board hired admitted child sex offender Tillman (p'toey) to run this club, I burnt my season tix and was done. I was truly and honestly done with this club. That move was a vile and tone deaf insult to everything this team stood for as a community owned franchise.

The only thing that brought me back was asking Ed to do the monumental task of restoring what was lost and the horrific damage done to this franchise. I believed in him. Not Len Rhodes

I never believed in Rhodes from the very moment he was brought on board.

He's a phony. He knows nothing of what the Eskimo brand means to any kid who grew up in this town.

He does know what this brand means to him, and he's done a great job leveraging the Eskimo brand into making Len Rhodes look good. He gets more face time than any other person attached to this franchise not named Mike Reilly. In some way he gets more.

That's not his job.

His job is to make people fall in love with the players who bleed for this team. Not some suit.

Nobody really gives a sh*t about who Len Rhodes is. Just like no Oiler fan gives a sh*t who Bob Nicholson is. Yet Bob Nicholson doesn't spend his time making himself bigger than the brand he represents.

I have no faith left in the Eskimo BoD

They have made monumental errors, perhaps unmatched in the history of this club, in the decisions they have made. They have burned all collateral 25years as a customer could buy them. The six year old kid in me who fell in love with this franchise is far angrier than the 40 something adult who despises what this team has become

You cannot sell me Len Rhodes anymore. You never could.

What was in the process of being rebuilt anew, has crumbled into a phony facade of what this franchise once meant.
    Last edited by Diesel; 11-04-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: The Trust Is Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Today was a new low in a franchise that once was known for setting the bar. The trust in those charged to run this club has evaporated. Generational fans are giving up season tickets they have had for multiple decades, and there is a real and tangible sense of apathy.

When the board hired admitted child sex offender Tillman (p'toey) to run this club, I burnt my season tix and was done. I was truly and honestly done with this club. That move was a vile and tone deaf insult to everything this team stood for as a community owned franchise.

The only thing that brought me back was asking Ed to do the monumental task of restiring what was lost and the horrific damage done to this franchise. I believed in him. Not Len Rhodes

He's a phony. He knows nothing of what the Eskimo brand means to any kid who grew up in this town.

He does know what this brand means to him, and he's done a great job leveraging the Eskimo brand into making Len Rhodes look good. He gets more face time than any other person attached to this franchise not named Mike Reilly. In some way he gets more.

That's not his job.

His job is to make people fall in love with the players who bleed for this team. Not some suit.

Nobody really gives a sh*t about who Len Rhodes is. Just like no Oiler fan gives a sh*t who Bob Nicholson is. Yet Bob Nicholson doesn't spend his time making himself bigger than the brand he represents.

They have made monumental errors, perhaps unmatched in the history of this club, in the decisions they have made. They have burned all collateral 25years as a customer could buy them. The six year old kid in me who fell in love with this franchise is far angrier than the 40 something adult who despises what this team has become

What was in the process of being rebuilt anew, has crumbled into a phony facade of what this franchise once meant.
    There is literally nothing else that can be added to that. This team was the absolute highest level in the CFL now it's a complete shell of what it was and I can see this off season getting worse if the BOD doesn't pull their collective heads out of their asses and get a new man at the top I don't know where it will go
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Totally agree.

It all boils down to the BoD doing the right thing this time.

Fire Rhodes.

Money can buy Reilly, add other attractive incentives, fly his family to home games. The Eskimos have the advantage in that they can negotiate now, he is still under contract.

Show some faith in Maas. Maas does need to learn, but let him learn.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how Sean Fleming is settled in his new career? He’d be my choice to replace Rhodes.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

The only thing that brought me back was asking Ed to do the monumental task of restiring what was lost and the horrific damage done to this franchise. I believed in him. Not Len Rhodes

That's not his job.

In a way, this disaster with Rhodent is just a continuation of the tillman nightmare because if I remember correctly, it was tillman who lobbied hard for Rhodent to get the job over Wad because he new full well that Wad would hold him accountable, and not be easily manipulated the way Rhodent would be.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    In a way, this disaster with Rhodent is just a continuation of the tillman nightmare because if I remember correctly, it was tillman who lobbied hard for Rhodent to get the job over Wad because he new full well that Wad would hold him accountable, and not be easily manipulated the way Rhodent would be.
    100%
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Totally agree.

It all boils down to the BoD doing the right thing this time.

Fire Rhodes.

Money can buy Reilly, add other attractive incentives, fly his family to home games. The Eskimos have the advantage in that they can negotiate now, he is still under contract.

Show some faith in Maas. Maas does need to learn, but let him learn.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how Sean Fleming is settled in his new career? He’d be my choice to replace Rhodes.
    I think if the BoD replaced Rhodent with Flemming and, Sean came on board and gave Maas a vote of confidence, Reilly would stay and help realize the vision of the Edmonton Eskimos that Ed sold him when he made the trade all those years ago.

vCash

Well the poll on here re rhodes said a lot. We all have differing opinions of the coaches, gms, players who is doing well or poorly etc but that poll said it all. Not that the BOG would look at this forum but anyone casually thinking we just have a few disgruntled fans is fooling themselves.

It's not all about winning? I care nothing at all other than the actual football team. I could care less about promos, concerts, yada yada yada. I do not expect to win every year but I expect those in charge at the highest level to.

vCash

Starts at the top with getting rid of Rhodes bring in someone that puts the team first instead of his own ego they don't even have to be a football guy if they're willing to be hands off on the football things and concentrate on bringing the fan base back around but they have to be willing to put be a team player.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Well the poll on here re rhodes said a lot. We all have differing opinions of the coaches, gms, players who is doing well or poorly etc but that poll said it all. Not that the BOG would look at this forum but anyone casually thinking we just have a few disgruntled fans is fooling themselves.

It's not all about winning? I care nothing at all other than the actual football team. I could care less about promos, concerts, yada yada yada. I do not expect to win every year but I expect those in charge at the highest level to.
    I think they do have people watching it.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

I think they do have people watching it.
    Watching and most likely saying 'these guys just don't understand'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Watching and most likely saying 'these guys just don't understand'
    They should understand decreased attendance and season seat cancellations.

And if they lose Reilly to BC they are really going to have to look in the mirror.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

If Len Rhodes is here next year and Mike Reilly isn't, I'll be done as an Eskimos and CFL fan. The Eskimos were the last thing holding me to still being a fan of this league.

vCash

A hearty HARUMPH!! to Diesel on this post.

I don't share everyone's views on Rhodes or the same reasons as some, but the end result is the same - the trust is gone.

Winning is not everything. It sure as he'll is one of the more important things though.

Making money is not everything. Absolutely important, but for a community-based team with healthy reserves, it shouldn't be anywhere near the sole measure.

Building and maintaining the fan base should be the most crucial goal, and I think the failure there is apparent.

I no longer trust the EEFC to make decisions that align with my priorities, my values or what I believe this team/organization has, and should, embody. I believe it to be broken, and that has very little to do with whether the team is 9-9, 11-7 or 13-5, though a winning record would mask a lot of the problems... but the again, winning isn't everything... the problems and the disconnect run deeper than that.

vCash

Like Diesel, I gave up my seats when Tillboy was hired. Like Diesel I got them back when he was fired.

I cancelled my tickets after last season for reasons I've already stated on this forum a billion times.

I will stay away until the EEFC becomes a classy, professional football franchise again and the CFL decides that it actually want to grow up and become a real professional sports league.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Rhodes. has. to. go. End of story. This is the number one thing that has to happen. Not Maas, not Bene. Rhodes. He has single handily killed a franchise... a HISTORIC franchise.

I wish I had any faith in the BoD to do the right thing...

If there was truly one thing the BoD could do to increase the love towards them... this would be it. FIRE. LEN. RHODES. Do not let that conman sell you on more garbage. Fans don't give 2 ****s about has been rappers. WE WANT A WINNING TEAM. WE WANT CUPS. WE WANT TO BE THE CLASS OF THE LEAGUE.

The only way that can happen is .... say it with me.... LEN RHODES NEEDS TO GO.

vCash

Has Rhodes been fired yet?
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Diesel bringing the truth again. Well said D.
    FIRE RHODES!

vCash

Has Rhodes been fired yet?
    No. And it isn't happening.

vCash

Tend to agree with everything here. Wonder if the firing of Rhodes will actually happen? If Reilly is gone because of this, then the fans will leave in droves. Hopefully that would force the Bod's hand. Hopefully the franchise will not collapse.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post

the CFL decides that it actually want to grow up and become a real professional sports league.
    This is where I'm at. Teams go through cycles all the time, the CFL, though, appears to be devolving constantly.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

The only thing that brought me back was asking Ed to do the monumental task of restoring what was lost and the horrific damage done to this franchise. I believed in him. Not Len Rhodes

That's not his job.

Very well said. The sad part of what you said is there isn't anything remotely untrue or exaggerated. The Eskimos used to be the flagship franchise in this league, the measuring stick for other teams. They lost a lot of that when they hired Tillman. It was a terrible, completely wrong, never should have happened mistake. BUT they admitted the mistake and they corrected it by firing him and bringing on Hervey to try to restore the name of this proud franchise. Hervey wasn't an ass kisser, he was a get it done and get it done the right way guy. It was a HUGE job. To restore the franchise to its former glory, they needed a get it done guy. He was doing that, he was getting it done and the Esks were coming back. It's gone again. The BOG made one mistake when they hired Tillman and it tarnished the the Eskimos brand. The faces on the board may not be the same but unfortunately they didn't learn from the past and made another mistake. This franchise is tarnished again which is truly sad for me as an Eskimos fan.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.