Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An 8-10 team just finished 2nd in the East and made the playoffs- Fire the coach!

vCash

Re: An 8-10 team just finished 2nd in the East and made the playoffs- Fire the coach!

I think we're talking around the biggest issue here.

It's not about fairness and justice. It's about the league's survival. The Eastern teams are perennially poorer than the West. If this continues to happen and we abolish divisions, the Eastern teams will tend to end up near the bottom, fans out east will lose interest more than they are already as their teams are eliminated with a month to go, and eastern teams will die. With the divisions, there's still interest in the east.

No, it's not fair. But it's reality. You get rid of divisions, you're endangering the league. It won't happen.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Re: An 8-10 team just finished 2nd in the East and made the playoffs- Fire the coach!

So then what is the motivation for the Eastern teams to get better? It’s a sad state of affairs when a 9-9 Western Team will likely see people lose their jobs while an 8-10 team gets gifted home game revenue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    So then what is the motivation for the Eastern teams to get better? It’s a sad state of affairs when a 9-9 Western Team will likely see people lose their jobs while an 8-10 team gets gifted home game revenue.
    Sadder state when the 9-9 team couldn't beat the 8-10 team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Yes Foxhound why does any league in the world have playoffs? I'm pretty sure they even have playoffs in European leagues.
    They do now. Interesting that playoffs were a concept that spread from Canada - NHL, IRFU, WIFU - first to the States.

In MLB the first place teams just won the pennant after the regular schedule. The first World Series of 1903 actually matched the champions of two rival leagues. Since the 1960s playoffs have exploded in all American sports leagues.They recognized that we Canucks had a good money making gimmick and were all over it like a hungry wolf on a pork chop.

And now in the past 35 years or so playoffs have been adopted by many leagues worldwide, with the exception of the English Premier League and certain other hidebound leagues catering to traditionalists.

Nonetheless we Canadians can proudly shoulder the credit, or the blame, for spreading the playoff gospel worldwide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Saddest state of all when either team's fans think it belongs in the playoffs.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    So if a first place team went 16-2 but their 2 losses were to the worst team team in the league, are you saying they are undeserving of finishing in first?

The Esks made their bed, they get to sleep in it I’m not arguing that. But why should the 2nd best team have to play the 4th best for a chance to take on the best to get to the big dance, while the 3rd best gets a bye, then hosts the winner of the 5th vs 7th best?

It doesn’t make sense.

vCash

I agree with you. This isn't just this year, there has been a big time separation between the divisions for years.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

So if a first place team went 16-2 but their 2 losses were to the worst team team in the league, are you saying they are undeserving of finishing in first?

The Esks made their bed, they get to sleep in it Iím not arguing that. But why should the 2nd best team have to play the 4th best for a chance to take on the best to get to the big dance, while the 3rd best gets a bye, then hosts the winner of the 5th vs 7th best?

It doesnít make sense.
    No different than the page playoff system in curling. Anyone who is okay with that should be okay with this.

Iím neutral.

Thereís a lot of sour grapes on here. That aside, I agree with glenvbís points above.

vCash

The Esks made their bed, they get to sleep in it Iím not arguing that. But why should the 2nd best team have to play the 4th best for a chance to take on the best to get to the big dance, while the 3rd best gets a bye, then hosts the winner of the 5th vs 7th best?

It doesnít make sense.
    Glenvb explained it very well. CFL isn't the only league in the world where you see these imbalances. It happens. Everyone knows the risks going in.

I'd say this year is an anomaly. If it is a regular occurrence, and it hurts the league, they will look at changing it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    No different than the page playoff system in curling. Anyone who is okay with that should be okay with this.

I’m neutral.

There’s a lot of sour grapes on here. That aside, I agree with glenvb’s points above.
    There is a lot of twitter chat on this and not just from an Esks perspective. I’m not complaining about the Esks missing the playoffs, I’m complaining about the team with the 7th best record in a 9 team league hosting a playoff game.

And to glenvb’s point, this league is heading towards its death if it needs to treat the Eastern teams as charity cases.

vCash

There is a lot of twitter chat on this and not just from an Esks perspective. I’m not complaining about the Esks missing the playoffs, I’m complaining about the team with the 7th best record in a 9 team league hosting a playoff game.

And to glenvb’s point, this league is heading towards its death if it needs to treat the Eastern teams as charity cases.
    Fair enough. Why not go to the commish’s meet up during Grey Cup (not sure if it’s the same thing as the state of the league address) & ask him about? Bet it’s been discussed at league meetings.

vCash

The motivation will be there when Halifax joins, assuming they stay with the format. Being a top 2 team out of 5 teams will still be an accomplishment. Looking back when the divisions were balanced while Ottawa was out, crossovers were much more rare, and I suspect the same will happen when it balances again.

As for the 9-9 vs. 8-10 situation, I'm not as upset about this as other years where the separation was much greater. It's really one win over an 18 game schedule, and frankly Hamilton showed themselves to be better than the Esks in the head-to-head series, and Ottawa earning a bye with an 11-7 record seems appropriate as well. I can understand complaints about the system, but this year I think it resulted in the 6 most deserving teams making it.

vCash

This seems like the thread to bring up the following:

I think we are the only team in history to have finished first and fifth in a division with the same record.

-2001, 9-9: First place, hosted West Final, lost a turnover-fest
    -2018, 9-9: Fifth place, out of playoffs

-We have also finished second (multiple times) and third (2009) at 9-9.

We have not finished fourth at 9-9 (but we have at 10-8, twice, in 2008 and 2016).

In those two years there was plenty of talk about a team with a lesser record hosting a playoff game against a better team and why this was happening - and nothing changed. It was worse in 2016, when 8-9-1 Ottawa won the East and got to host the East Final while they had the 5th best record in the league and all four better teams were from the West.

Now that, for the first time I think, the FIFTH-place team is better than a playoff team in the other division and misses out, maybe they will consider a change. But I doubt it.
    Last edited by gizmo fan 2; 11-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

In 4 of the last 5 years, and 6 of the last 8, the Crossover rule has come into play. They definitely need to do something to improve the level of play out East.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I’m neutral.

There’s a lot of sour grapes on here. That aside, I agree with glenvb’s points above.
    It must be different than the Page playoff because a team that loses in the CFL is done for the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. Why not go to the commish’s meet up during Grey Cup (not sure if it’s the same thing as the state of the league address) & ask him about? Bet it’s been discussed at league meetings.

I think after I asked him why there was no apology forthcoming from the CFL for their botched Command Centre ruling that won Saskatchewan a football game T-bone would have to be the one to ask it.

vCash

The Command Center did not cost the Eskimos the game! The Eskimos cost themselves the game by playing like crap against a team with no offense that they should have handily beaten. And Mike Reilly threw the ball which was intercepted before, not after, he was hit. Let me repeat, the pass was intercepted! It was a lousy pass that Reilly should not have thrown. Case closed.

And I'm opposed to penalty calls/non-calls being amenable to challenges. Penalties are judgement calls that should be left strictly to the officials on the field. Review scoring plays, turnovers, receptions and line calls to make sure the refs got them right. That's fine. But penalties? No way.

And what this thread is intrinsically all about is how to select from among the more mediocre teams to determine which makes the playoffs. Well quite simply I don't care how the mediocre teams are going to be selected to make the playoffs. NONE of them should be in the playoffs.

So why complain that some of the mediocre teams are more "deserving" to make the playoffs than the other mediocre teams when quite simply none of them are at all deserving? Just leave the system that was designed to and works to keep selling tickets alone. I can't understand why you would be willing to compromise a system designed to sell tickets to get a "less undeserving" club into the playoffs. The less undeserving club is still undeserving.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

You should keep that soapbox icon handy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I think we're talking around the biggest issue here.

It's not about fairness and justice. It's about the league's survival. The Eastern teams are perennially poorer than the West. If this continues to happen and we abolish divisions, the Eastern teams will tend to end up near the bottom, fans out east will lose interest more than they are already as their teams are eliminated with a month to go, and eastern teams will die. With the divisions, there's still interest in the east.

No, it's not fair. But it's reality. You get rid of divisions, you're endangering the league. It won't happen.
    Agree, I’ve been saying the same all week.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

The 8-10 team is bitch-slappin' Buono & Hervey's 9-9 Lions.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    The 8-10 team is bitch-slappin' Buono & Hervey's 9-9 Lions.
    Boy are they ever...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Lions got a asswhooping...

Lulay a lack of arm strength was really apparent today with the wind especially on the pick 6
    Lions oline got absolutely owned.. Especially the interior.. Exposed
    I actually thought Johnson was injured I didn't realise they brought in Sutton to bench jj... Man..IMHO Johnson is a better alround back, suttons pass pro was less than average
    Their d gives up as many 2nd and longs as we do.. Lol

They have far more questions than we do.... Eds got his work cut out.. I wouldn't be even contemplating be if I was really.. Don't care what ed promised...
    Sask might be a bigger worry for us in the Reilly stakes now..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    The Command Center did not cost the Eskimos the game! The Eskimos cost themselves the game by playing like crap against a team with no offense that they should have handily beaten. And Mike Reilly threw the ball which was intercepted before, not after, he was hit. Let me repeat, the pass was intercepted! It was a lousy pass that Reilly should not have thrown. Case closed.

And I'm opposed to penalty calls/non-calls being amenable to challenges. Penalties are judgement calls that should be left strictly to the officials on the field. Review scoring plays, turnovers, receptions and line calls to make sure the refs got them right. That's fine. But penalties? No way.

And what this thread is intrinsically all about is how to select from among the more mediocre teams to determine which makes the playoffs. Well quite simply I don't care how the mediocre teams are going to be selected to make the playoffs. NONE of them should be in the playoffs.

So why complain that some of the mediocre teams are more "deserving" to make the playoffs than the other mediocre teams when quite simply none of them are at all deserving? Just leave the system that was designed to and works to keep selling tickets alone. I can't understand why you would be willing to compromise a system designed to sell tickets to get a "less undeserving" club into the playoffs. The less undeserving club is still undeserving.

Wrong, the command centre made the wrong call, it doesn’t matter the interception was before the late hit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Lions got a asswhooping...

Lulay a lack of arm strength was really apparent today with the wind especially on the pick 6
    Lions oline got absolutely owned.. Especially the interior.. Exposed
    I actually thought Johnson was injured I didn't realise they brought in Sutton to bench jj... Man..IMHO Johnson is a better alround back, suttons pass pro was less than average
    Their d gives up as many 2nd and longs as we do.. Lol

They have far more questions than we do.... Eds got his work cut out.. I wouldn't be even contemplating be if I was really.. Don't care what ed promised...
    Sask might be a bigger worry for us in the Reilly stakes now..

Reilly would never go to the Riders.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster