Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sure, I believe Ya

vCash

Re: Sure, I believe Ya

We're using a timeline of twitter posts as proof of events now? Oooooookaaayyyyyy then,
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    The real Arash account broke the news.

Told y’all it was true!
    ya i know that.. still doesnt make it true.. he does a history of stirring **** up even if what he says isn't true

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    If someone was proven to be tampering or accused, I doubt there'd be a memo. They'd likely be moving right on to the investigation or fine and penalty. Seems more to me like someone in the league office read Madani's story and decided to be proactive.
    IMO thats what actually happened.. but that doesn't help the anti BS rhetoric for others.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    ya i know that.. still doesnt make it true.. he does a history of stirring **** up even if what he says isn't true
    Yes, he's good for retweeting to point out those times his "predictions" are accurate, but if you took a look at all the times he spit-balled and came up with nothing (which is often), he really looks like a Marty York on a vengeance.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Maybe Brock is trying to fill Hervey's shoes?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...224601236.html

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I donít think Lionbackers is representative of all BC Lions fans. That would be using a VERY wide paintbrush. Lionbackers seems to be a select few who write a lot.

In my limited forays over to Lionbackers, the repeated theme has been how the Lions are so set in their ways & there needs to be changes in personnel, coaches, scheme, the business side - the list goes on. Itís a bit hypocritical to say that & then not want someone very different as the head coach. Jason is definitely more of a playersí coach in this day & age than Wally (no disrespect intended, itís just the way it is).
    For sure it's a small sample size just like those here wanting Rhodes gone is a very small sample size of the sentiments of the Esk fanbase. Regardless the impression out of every fanbase outside of people here is that Maas is a totally loose cannon prone to sideline meltdowns. That is totally what sours BC fans about the thought of Maas winding up in orange. Because Maas was beloved by Esks fans prior to him getting the HC job it has been tolerated in Edmonton as that is just Jason being Jason. Elsewhere it is looked upon as a serious character flaw regardless of his ability to put together game plans, X's and O's, or be a player's coach etc. For the record I have actually defended him recently because I've noticed a positive change in his sideline demeanour. Ironically the EE season seem to take a turn south about the time Maas noticeably displayed a more mellow version of his previous self.

As far as Maas being more of a player's coach than Wally I don't think that makes a difference. "Players' coaches" or "disciplinarians" always seem to have a relatively short shelf life. When that shelf life expires on one style teams typically jump to the other style to replace them. BC players seem to publicly and universally respect Buono. Even after they have left the game its hard to find any who suddenly throw him under the bus. They always talk like yeah he was a pain in the butt to deal with when negotiating contracts but they always knew where they stood as players and men. Wally was always totally honest with them and they appreciated that. No head games or two-faced repertoire. Just total honesty. They always knew where they stood.

vCash

Maas confirms he'll be back.

Donut dave tweeted.
    Naylor retweeted.

Reilly will probably be back.

Macysmic guaranteed OC i can see.

All is well...

other than Rhodent still infested EEFC

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    If Maas got hired by Hervey and Reilly followed him as a result, I don't think too many Lions fans would complain. Maas may have made some mistakes but he did produce a 5562 yard (first in the league) QB that threw 30 TD's (second in the league), an over 1500 yard receiver and even though many of us thought they didn't run enough, they still produced a 1063 yard rusher who only played 16 games. SO it wasn't all bad.
    I don't think any decision Reilly makes will be predicated on where Maas is. I think Reilly has enough confidence in his own ability that those things can happen wherever he plays regardless of coaching staff or philosophy. As a now seasoned veteran he couldn't give a rat's ass about personal stats. What matters is wins and losses and where can he be best positioned to win a championship. He'd gladly trade some of those personal stats for a couple more team W's and a playoff spot. If he doesn't think that way then he is not the sort of pro I'm positive he is.

Personally I think he stays in Edmonton whether Maas stays or moves on. I also think if Reilly goes elsewhere BC would be at the top of the list due to proximity to northwest Washington where he is from and where I understand he maintains a home. Obviously money and term will be big factors. That aside wherever he winds up it will be because he thinks it's the best situation for him and his family regardless of whether Maas is there or elsewhere. Familiarity with GM Hervey and OC Jarious Jackson IMO would carry as much weight as familiarity with Maas. Wherever he goes this could be his last big $ multi-year deal. He is going to do it for all the right reasons for him and his family.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 11-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I don't think any decision Reilly makes will be predicated on where Maas is. I think Reilly has enough confidence in his own ability that those things can happen wherever he plays regardless of coaching staff or philosophy. As a now seasoned veteran he couldn't give a rat's ass about personal stats. What matters is wins and losses and where can he be best positioned to win a championship. He'd gladly trade some of those personal stats for a couple more team W's and a playoff spot. If he doesn't think that way then he is not the sort of pro I'm positive he is.

Personally I think he stays in Edmonton whether Maas stays or moves on. I also think if Reilly goes elsewhere BC would be at the top of the list due to proximity to northwest Washington where he is from and where I understand he maintains a home. Obviously money and term will be big factors. That aside wherever he winds up it will be because he thinks it's the best situation for him and his family regardless of whether Maas is there or elsewhere. Familiarity with GM Hervey and OC Jarious Jackson IMO would carry as much weight as familiarity with Maas. Wherever he goes this could be his last big $ multi-year deal. He is going to do it for all the right reasons for him and his family.
    We are finally hearing Reilly may be back which is wonderful news. One condition is Maas must be here.

One thing I hope a lot of you are noticing now is Reilly keeps saying “ winning is everything.”

This isn’t by mistake, he is obviously sending a message to the BOD, He wants Rhodes gone.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

For sure it's a small sample size just like those here wanting Rhodes gone is a very small sample size of the sentiments of the Esk fanbase. Regardless the impression out of every fanbase outside of people here is that Maas is a totally loose cannon prone to sideline meltdowns. That is totally what sours BC fans about the thought of Maas winding up in orange. Because Maas was beloved by Esks fans prior to him getting the HC job it has been tolerated in Edmonton as that is just Jason being Jason. Elsewhere it is looked upon as a serious character flaw regardless of his ability to put together game plans, X's and O's, or be a player's coach etc. For the record I have actually defended him recently because I've noticed a positive change in his sideline demeanour. Ironically the EE season seem to take a turn south about the time Maas noticeably displayed a more mellow version of his previous self.

As far as Maas being more of a player's coach than Wally I don't think that makes a difference. "Players' coaches" or "disciplinarians" always seem to have a relatively short shelf life. When that shelf life expires on one style teams typically jump to the other style to replace them. BC players seem to publicly and universally respect Buono. Even after they have left the game its hard to find any who suddenly throw him under the bus. They always talk like yeah he was a pain in the butt to deal with when negotiating contracts but they always knew where they stood as players and men. Wally was always totally honest with them and they appreciated that. No head games or two-faced repertoire. Just total honesty. They always knew where they stood.
    That's what it looked like.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Maas confirms he'll be back.

Donut dave tweeted.
    Naylor retweeted.

Reilly will probably be back.

Macysmic guaranteed OC i can see.

All is well...

other than Rhodent still infested EEFC
    Not checked Twitter but all this sounds good to me... Good news if true,

vCash

Agree that he will evaluate and pick the spot that is best for him, both professionally and for family. Agree that he is more concerned about being in a good position to win.

Disagree that the connection to Maas doesn't carry a lot of weight. When you're a guy that puts in 12-15 hour days at the stadium, you want to have a guy that you believe is equally passionate and motivated. That's not to say that other coaches aren't also workaholics and committed, but when you've been to war with someone and fighting common battles, the bond can go deep. Just look at you and I - those epic SnowBowl battles from the late 90's and early aughts have kept us together, even if, personality wise we're deficient. That Maas is a former QB is big for Reilly, and the relatability factor is huge.

I agree with your points about how Maas is perceived outside of Edmonton, and think it is both fair and unfair at the same time. Too much is read into it by seeing only the surface stuff from a distance and drawing conclusions, but he puts himself in the position to have that happen too. One commonality that both he and Wally share is the devotion of their players and their respect. Definitely some differences in style, but there are different ways to get to a good result.

Retaining Maas, I believe, greatly increases the likelihood of Reilly returning. I believe he would have been 80-20 to leave if Maas was fired, and now I would say 75-25 to return, though there is lots to shake out between now and then.

vCash

Exactly. Some team was doing something to cause another team to complain so the league had to act.

Here is what will probably happen.
    - Rhodes keeps his job because the board doesn't give a crap about anything other than making money and they Esks will post good profits thanks to the Grey Cup.
    - Brock will keep his job. Rhodes fired Hervey because he was doing a good job at running the football team, he probably butted heads with Rhodes about some stupid ideas and Rhodes taking money from football ops to fund his dumb ideas. Plus Hervey was probably trying to go around Rhodes and deal directly with the BOG. Rhodes wants a yes man as a GM and if you listen to Brock do a presser, he tells you jack squat in his answers and dances around the question the same as Rhodes does. Plus it will look brutal on Rhodes to fire A competent GM in Hervey, bring on a new guy and in less that 2 years, fire that guy too.
    - Maas will get the bullet for the sins of Rhodes and Brock because someone has to be blamed even though the blame needs to fall on the management.

Once the playoffs are over for BC, Hervey will scoop up Maas in a heartbeat. Hervey hired Maas in the first place to coach the Esks for a reason. Maas is a good coach, he was just a bit inexperienced and made the odd mistake plus he takes on too much responsibility. Maas is an excellent offensive coach, Reilly's numbers speak for themselves. When you put a good roster in front of Maas which he had last year which was pretty much Hervey's team, Maas can coach a team to a good record, Hence the 12-6 record. Maas just needs to have good coordinators and delegate better which I am sure Hervey will talk to him about in his interview. Reilly will then see that the wrong guy got fired and the organization is in turmoil. His coach who he likes is in BC, his GM who gave him his chance is in BC.His best buddy Lulay is there ready to be his back up. BC is closer to home than Edmonton. Hervery won't cheap out so Reilly will sign in BC. Walker won't be far behind.
    Boy am I glad you were wrong on this one, I'm of the opinion that keeping Maas draws Reilly back.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I also think if Reilly goes elsewhere BC would be at the top of the list due to proximity to northwest Washington where he is from and where I understand he maintains a home. Obviously money and term will be big factors. That aside wherever he winds up it will be because he thinks it's the best situation for him and his family regardless of whether Maas is there or elsewhere. Familiarity with GM Hervey and OC Jarious Jackson IMO would carry as much weight as familiarity with Maas. Wherever he goes this could be his last big $ multi-year deal. He is going to do it for all the right reasons for him and his family.
    ^^^^
    This is probably spot on. Time will tell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Boy am I glad you were wrong on this one, I'm of the opinion that keeping Maas draws Reilly back.
    You and me both. I feared they would fire Maas strictly because they need someone to take the blame. Maas made a few mistakes and the whole "he's too emotional" angle the press ran with early in the season, could have been spun to make some people buy it as a good move.

Now the question comes. Is any changes going to happen?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

You and me both. I feared they would fire Maas strictly because they need someone to take the blame. Maas made a few mistakes and the whole "he's too emotional" angle the press ran with early in the season, could have been spun to make some people buy it as a good move.

Now the question comes. Is any changes going to happen?
    With a guy like Rhodes at the top, its hard to imagine them doing the right thing.

vCash

Q and Looner agreeing often lately.

Clearly Rhodes is the great uniter of us all.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

With a guy like Rhodes at the top, its hard to imagine them doing the right thing.
    I agree. I didn't want Maas fired because I do not think he is a bad coach. He makes a few mistakes but he's a young HC and I honestly wonder how he would do if he didn't take on so much because I think it's WAY too much. Plus he's got a winning record so he can't be that bad of a coach. Also, who is out there that is better than him? Claybrooks is probably going to be the next hot up and comer. Well he would be a rookie head coach. So we give Maas crap for making some mistakes, do we really want to start with another rookie HC who's probably going to make mistakes? But at the same time, if no changes happen other than letting go some behind the scenes coaches, that isn't good either.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I didn't want Maas fired because I do not think he is a bad coach. He makes a few mistakes but he's a young HC and I honestly wonder how he would do if he didn't take on so much because I think it's WAY too much. Plus he's got a winning record so he can't be that bad of a coach. Also, who is out there that is better than him? Claybrooks is probably going to be the next hot up and comer. Well he would be a rookie head coach. So we give Maas crap for making some mistakes, do we really want to start with another rookie HC who's probably going to make mistakes? But at the same time, if no changes happen other than letting go some behind the scenes coaches, that isn't good either.
    spot on, last thing i wanna do is start to be a franchise that grooms other teams successful coaches, let other teams do that.

vCash
    Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

spot on, last thing i wanna do is start to be a franchise that grooms other teams successful coaches, let other teams do that.
    We're already doing that with QB's... Nichols, Masoli, Franklin...Ray...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    We're already doing that with QB's... Nichols, Masoli, Franklin...Ray...
    Franklin is successful?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post

You have to have respect for the Presidency.
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Franklin is successful?
    He seemed like the second coming for a while there.
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    He seemed like the second coming for a while there.
    Still ton of upside to the man...

Don’t throw him in the bin yet..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

Agree. I really think Trestman and AC were the wrong system for him. Franklin can make it work in the pocket, but that pocket has to be able to move. It will be interesting to see what the coaching changes are in TO for next season.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I don't think he's washed up by any means - I was just saying we've given up a few QB's in the last few years that went on to start elsewhere.

vCash

I saw what he did at Missou I know he has talent but I wouldn't call him a success.
    Still rather have him than Kevin Glenn tho.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I saw what he did at Missou I know he has talent but I wouldn't call him a success.
    Still rather have him than Kevin Glenn tho.
    I’d take him back in a instant.. franklin unde maas’s tutoring had already begun ... outside of the start in Calgary ( which was a bad game for franklin ) u can look at his body of work in maas system and I’ll say he’s a fantastic fit in honest opinion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Agree. I really think Trestman and AC were the wrong system for him. Franklin can make it work in the pocket, but that pocket has to be able to move. It will be interesting to see what the coaching changes are in TO for next season.

I genuinely don’t understand Franklin’s struggles in Toronto.. ( talent lacking aside .. they had a poor oline and not enough wrs )
    Almost everyone ( oc ) in the cfl game now has a connection to trestman either directly or through milanovich... that tree has a weave of branches

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Almost everyone ( oc ) in the cfl game now has a connection to trestman either directly or through milanovich... that tree has a weave of branches
    Do they? Sorry, maybe I'm a little fuzzy on trying to connect to Trestman/Milanovich, but I think Elizondo in Ottawa and Maas are the only guys that worked or played on either of their staffs. I can't recall a connection for Jackson, McAdoo, Dickenson, Lapolice or Kahari Jones (forgive me, I don't even know who the OC in Hamilton is). I'm guessing the connections are more indirect them I'm thinking, or (as discussed in an earlier post) my meds may have gotten mixed up again.

vCash

I think you're right - the fit wasn't there in multiple ways.

Trestman, by all reports, is a guy that turns out better men after playing for him. Frank doesn't need a lot of help in that area, and already has some amazing modelling and values. Trestman, reportedly, also demands a lot of time, work and demonstrated commitment... not unlike Hervey or others around the league - and if you want to compare guys like Jennings or Franklin to a stadium-rat like Reilly, that is there all-day, every-day, there become some question as to fit when a guy wants to prioritize a little balance in their life. While I didn't see a fit for Trestman in Edmonton, I would see a fit for Reilly with Trestman. I'm not saying that Frank won't make it as a starter, but I'm also not going to be fully surprised if he ends up as a high-end backup QB in this league... a better version of Drew Tate... and carves out a career that is a good fit for him.

Do they? Sorry, maybe I'm a little fuzzy on trying to connect to Trestman/Milanovich, but I think Elizondo in Ottawa and Maas are the only guys that worked or played on either of their staffs. I can't recall a connection for Jackson, McAdoo, Dickenson, Lapolice or Kahari Jones (forgive me, I don't even know who the OC in Hamilton is). I'm guessing the connections are more indirect them I'm thinking, or (as discussed in an earlier post) my meds may have gotten mixed up again.
    McAdoo/Brady/Jarious have connections through Milanovich I believe, and some followed Jones when he left that staff.

I agree that LaPo, Dickenson and Khari are not connected in, and you're right to not know who the OC is in Hamilton, as they don't have one. June Jones has essentially been that, with Corey Grant having the title of Asst OC and RB coach.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Agree that he will evaluate and pick the spot that is best for him, both professionally and for family. Agree that he is more concerned about being in a good position to win.

Disagree that the connection to Maas doesn't carry a lot of weight. When you're a guy that puts in 12-15 hour days at the stadium, you want to have a guy that you believe is equally passionate and motivated. That's not to say that other coaches aren't also workaholics and committed, but when you've been to war with someone and fighting common battles, the bond can go deep. Just look at you and I - those epic SnowBowl battles from the late 90's and early aughts have kept us together, even if, personality wise we're deficient. That Maas is a former QB is big for Reilly, and the relatability factor is huge.

I agree with your points about how Maas is perceived outside of Edmonton, and think it is both fair and unfair at the same time. Too much is read into it by seeing only the surface stuff from a distance and drawing conclusions, but he puts himself in the position to have that happen too. One commonality that both he and Wally share is the devotion of their players and their respect. Definitely some differences in style, but there are different ways to get to a good result.

Retaining Maas, I believe, greatly increases the likelihood of Reilly returning. I believe he would have been 80-20 to leave if Maas was fired, and now I would say 75-25 to return, though there is lots to shake out between now and then.
    Agreed that perception of Maas outside Edmonton is both fair and unfair. It seems though that rightly or wrongly fans only need a couple of incidents to tarnish a coach or player in their own minds. Blow a gasket on the sidelines or in a press conference once or twice and a coach is labelled a hothead who can't control his anger. Cross the line once with a bad decision or poor timing that leads to a dirty play and a player is forever labelled a dirty player. For many fans the exception to the rule gets construed into the exception is the rule.

I accept that there can be weight to following a coach around. In the case of Reilly though there is a lot of familiarity on both sides of the Rockies. Maas is his HC of the past 3 years and there are the players too. Over in BC there is the familiarity with Hervey as well as Jarious Jackson. Jackson was his team mate for his first 2 years in BC and his QB coach for another 2 years in Edmonton. Then there's the Lulay factor. It's hard to guess what might happen there. I can see him sticking around for another year but also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he were to hang them up to take on a coaching role in BC if offered. So while there are plenty of good reasons to stick around Edmonton to have another kick at it under Maas it's not like he'd be joining a bunch of strangers if he went to the left coast. Still a long ways to go in the offseason. Who knows what might happen as Hervey deals with things in BC. Outside shot Jackson could wind up being the HC and he also could wind up on the unemployment line. Similarly Lulay could get extended or might totally out of the picture. Hervey is the only one guaranteed to still be there by the time free agency hits. Many things can change but I still think Reilly will be staying where he is.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 11-09-2018 at 06:55 PM.