Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sure, I believe Ya

vCash

Re: Sure, I believe Ya

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Do they? Sorry, maybe I'm a little fuzzy on trying to connect to Trestman/Milanovich, but I think Elizondo in Ottawa and Maas are the only guys that worked or played on either of their staffs. I can't recall a connection for Jackson, McAdoo, Dickenson, Lapolice or Kahari Jones (forgive me, I don't even know who the OC in Hamilton is). I'm guessing the connections are more indirect them I'm thinking, or (as discussed in an earlier post) my meds may have gotten mixed up again.
    The majority of the check down short pass game style offence that has been successful in this league for a longtime IMHO came to promenence under trestman.. That Montreal offence was trestmans, milanovich was trestmans OC..
    Under milanovich I believe Mcadoo Maas and elizondo were on his staff at some point.. All weaved in that offence, Jackson played in that offence as well, Brady was OC in Toronto for a long time but also like Maas does now I believe Brady was a foil, an extension for milanovich to run his offence..
    When Jones got his shot in edm Mcadoo was OC, jj qb coach
    Maas got a OC job in Ottawa..

I think a ton are linked...

All these current offensive minds are linked to trestman/milanovich
    Maas edm
    Elizondo Ota
    Jackson be
    Mcadoo sask

The stand alones are Dickenson zero connection, Condell long time Hamilton OC ,June Jones.. A r&s legend .Paul lapolice and khari Jones...
    Branching from that is ac ( not had much success in his 2 stints ) Brady and Carson walch who are not now in the league and now Jordan will prob be the next one on the tree..
    Half the league runs the same style of offence.. U gotta be impressed by thst coaching tree...

Which brings me back to my original point in my previous post.. I see Franklin very comfortable under mass so in Toronto who's offence were there truly running.. Was it trestmans or Condell? 2 very different styles... Or a mix and I think it was that mix.. I don't think Toronto had that chemistry ...

Sometimes situations just don't fit people and that's why I still believe Franklin is a talented qb...
    Last edited by cmbuk; 11-10-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Auto correct is killing me on this phone!

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    For sure it's a small sample size just like those here wanting Rhodes gone is a very small sample size of the sentiments of the Esk fanbase. Regardless the impression out of every fanbase outside of people here is that Maas is a totally loose cannon prone to sideline meltdowns. That is totally what sours BC fans about the thought of Maas winding up in orange. Because Maas was beloved by Esks fans prior to him getting the HC job it has been tolerated in Edmonton as that is just Jason being Jason. Elsewhere it is looked upon as a serious character flaw regardless of his ability to put together game plans, X's and O's, or be a player's coach etc. For the record I have actually defended him recently because I've noticed a positive change in his sideline demeanour. Ironically the EE season seem to take a turn south about the time Maas noticeably displayed a more mellow version of his previous self.

As far as Maas being more of a player's coach than Wally I don't think that makes a difference. "Players' coaches" or "disciplinarians" always seem to have a relatively short shelf life. When that shelf life expires on one style teams typically jump to the other style to replace them. BC players seem to publicly and universally respect Buono. Even after they have left the game its hard to find any who suddenly throw him under the bus. They always talk like yeah he was a pain in the butt to deal with when negotiating contracts but they always knew where they stood as players and men. Wally was always totally honest with them and they appreciated that. No head games or two-faced repertoire. Just total honesty. They always knew where they stood.
    BC fanbase thought EH was a loose cannon as well. Doubt they would give him back now

- - - Updated - - -

Maas staying in my mind moves the needle to 60/40 in the Esks favor of retaining him from 50/50
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    BC fanbase thought EH was a loose cannon as well. Doubt they would give him back now
    As a die hard BC fan I didn't think of him as a loose cannon but certainly had concerns about the way he seemed to give the EE organization the same introverted persona that he willingly admits he possesses. I'm still from Missouri on Ed. He did a good job of building veteran depth but with that the team became much older and already faces a considerable rebuild. He needs to show me more than just an ability to patch holes with veterans from other organizations. Geroy Simon's crew who is responsible for the draft had a very good draft. If Geroy returns he will have his work cut out for him as Hervey has dealt away BCs 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks. They did pick up Montreal's 3rd and Hamilton's 6th leaving them with 19th, 22nd, 40th. 47th, 49th, 58th and 67th. That's the sort of draft board I'd expect if Brendan Taman was in charge, not Hervey and certainly not Buono. The last time BC went into a draft with no picks in the first 2 rounds was 1975.

I was extremely disappointed with the lack of good young International talent brought in from outside the league under Hervey. The only bright spot there was Claudell Louis who won BC's rookie-of-the-year nomination by default. Louis played and started in 11 games. He was the only rookie INT to start a game for BC this year. 4th string QB Ricky Lloyd was the next most active rookie INT suiting up for 2 games but never took a snap. 4 others got into 1 game each. That was it for contributions from rookie INTs.

vCash

As a die hard BC fan I didn't think of him as a loose cannon but certainly had concerns about the way he seemed to give the EE organization the same introverted persona that he willingly admits he possesses. I'm still from Missouri on Ed. He did a good job of building veteran depth but with that the team became much older and already faces a considerable rebuild. He needs to show me more than just an ability to patch holes with veterans from other organizations. Geroy Simon's crew who is responsible for the draft had a very good draft. If Geroy returns he will have his work cut out for him as Hervey has dealt away BCs 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks. They did pick up Montreal's 3rd and Hamilton's 6th leaving them with 19th, 22nd, 40th. 47th, 49th, 58th and 67th. That's the sort of draft board I'd expect if Brendan Taman was in charge, not Hervey and certainly not Buono. The last time BC went into a draft with no picks in the first 2 rounds was 1975.

I was extremely disappointed with the lack of good young International talent brought in from outside the league under Hervey. The only bright spot there was Claudell Louis who won BC's rookie-of-the-year nomination by default. Louis played and started in 11 games. He was the only rookie INT to start a game for BC this year. 4th string QB Ricky Lloyd was the next most active rookie INT suiting up for 2 games but never took a snap. 4 others got into 1 game each. That was it for contributions from rookie INTs.
    Great post and some insight from a lions fan prospective.. kudos to u sir.. did I also read somewhere ( twitter maybe ) that the lions have 34 vets not under contract.. including guys like figs and both qbs , Burnham manny exc..

Seems to me like there’s gonna be a lot of turnover on that offence

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Maas staying in my mind moves the needle to 60/40 in the Esks favor of retaining him from 50/50

I’m hopin it’s 70/30 mate!

vCash

to be fair to both Hervey and Sunderland, I'm sure the new league has and will make it tougher to find those diamonds in the rough.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Great post and some insight from a lions fan prospective.. kudos to u sir.. did I also read somewhere ( twitter maybe ) that the lions have 34 vets not under contract.. including guys like figs and both qbs , Burnham manny exc..

Seems to me like there’s gonna be a lot of turnover on that offence
    That is all correct except it's all 3 QBs. Only QB still under contract for 2019 is 4th stinger Ricky Lloyd. The list is unofficial but likely very close. 34 players total; 18 on offence, 15 on defence plus Ty Long who I wrote off a couple months ago as being gone to the NFL. 19 of the 34 are players Hervey brought in after taking over. 18 of the 34 would be considered starters including 4 out of 5 OL, the QB, 5 starting receivers, both defensive ends and the entire defensive secondary plus the CFL's best punter/placekicker.

Since the regular season ended Hervey has extended Davin Coleman and Jordan Herdman who weren't part of the list of 34 pending FAs.

vCash

plus the CFL's best punter/placekicker.
    Best at what? Acting just funnin ya Hammer, appreciate the insight.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I will be very interested to see how things continue to shake out in year two, figuring that year one was partly evaluating and planting some seeds. He revamped a pretty bare cupboard in Edm in terms of scouting after Tillman, and had finds like Walker, McCoil, Zylstra and Williams - all ROY level finds, but it is never a 100% transparent situation as to the impact that Paul Jones (or Chris Jones) had on some of those finds. Bottom line, I have a lot of faith in EH on the scouting side in the medium term.

Will Geroy be in the plans to run the CDN side, while Torey Hunter heads up the US side?

Will he bring back a lot of "his" guys that were on one year deals?

Will he hire from within for the HC job or go outside to replace Buono, and will there be any coaching continuity for longer-term guys like Dorazio and Washington with deep Lions roots?

Will the leadership core involve guys like Sol and Travis and Manny, or is there a turning of the page?

It is a good season to be doing some turnover with the free agency position, but a tough one in terms of attracting and signing new-to-the-CFL difference makers.