Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benevides Potentially Coming Back. Come again?

vCash

Hot Benevides Potentially Coming Back. Come again?

The good:
    Sacks: T-1st

The bad:
    Offensive Points Allowed: 7th
    Offensive TD Allowed: 6th
    Yards Against Per Play: 8th
    Net Yards Against: 6th
    Forced Turnovers: 6th
    Average Yards Per Rush: 8th
    Average Yards Per Pass: 8th
    Big Plays Against: 9th
    2 and Outs Forced: 7th
    TD Against Per Drive: 7th
    Defensive TD Scored: 9th

How in the hell was he not one of the coaches announced as not returning?

vCash

Re: Benevides Potentially Coming Back. Come again?

You buy Maas, you get the entire package.

vCash

As of now we are sitting at eight coaches and the 2019 limit is eleven. We need a WR coach and a ST coach plus I would guess a quality control coach. Will be interesting if our DC returns. I'm in the camp of the replace him or at least get him to change and re-think his soft zone approach.

Supposed to be changes announced in the new year also regarding scouting and mini camps with the desire to control non football player expenses.
    At least we can get a jump on the playoff teams and cram some tryouts in before the new year. Hopefully these new rules also apply to the Riders.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    The good:

The bad:

Inexcusable as to how this clown still has a job. Is Maas blind to how poor his D has been for the past 2 seasons?
    By hitching his wagon to poor AC’s like Benevides, he’s asking for trouble.

vCash

He has to be let go. I can't believe Jason Maas would be stupid enough to make the same mistake for the third time.

vCash

We need to move on from bene..

vCash

The good:

The bad:

First of all, the coaching staff isn't finalized. All they did was let go a bunch of guys I didn't even know about or no brainers so far. I didn't know about/don't have a clue what they do, what a offensive and defensive quality control coach is. Is that just a way to give a title to someone who are just the offensive and defensive copy guy? Like they are the ones that make the copies of the plays, put them in binders and hand them out? You have a coordinator, is he not in charge of the quality of the plays? No one on special teams should have a job and the receivers coach.

For the record, I am not advocating for coach Bene to keep his job. But if you look at all the stats they were lousy in, are those not all pretty much pass related? I think so. From the Esks secondary, who would any of us keep as a starter? Who on the secondary looks like a star? Maston is terrible. All he does is get burned or take PI's. There is one of our corners. The safeties Woodman and King. King is the best of the bunch just because he looks like he at least knows where to go, he's just slow. Woodman, is fast but just runs around. Taylor played some corner and wasn't great. People keep telling me Colquhoun is awesome. Well he was drafted in 2016, spent the whole season with the Cowboys. Came to the Esks in 2017. There was 36 available games to play in 2017 & 2018. He played 14. So not even half the games. SO if you never play, what good are you to the team? Hunter was the rookie of the year supposedly for the Esks. Well he was particularly good but it just shows how lousy the Esks new players were. So maybe you can keep him around. Hightower for a vet wasn't very good. Thompson got cut because he was hurt, comes back late in the year, plays a few snaps, then gets hurt again. Even Grymes, the best of the bunch wasn't that great. He was out of position, didn't look as fast or got burned. Edwards who was a converted DB to linebacker is horrible at coverage and can't tackle. In general, the tacking of the secondary was terrible. How many times did a receiver break multiple tackles and get a first down when he should have been stopped? Forced turnovers. The team high was 3 intercepts. How many easy balls did the Esks secondary drop?

So they can go ahead and fire Bene for all I care. If he is gone, I won't have a problem with it what so ever. But if the same secondary comes back, I don't care who is the DC, it won't change much.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

I really hope not. It’s nothing personal but even with my limited experience I can see that the defence is not good enough. And I believe there is plenty of individual talent on the defence. For some reason they could not play a complete game for a whole game or to grab a game by throat if the offence wasn’t doing much of anything.

I defer to the more knowledgeable of you but this is my true opinion.

I believe the offence did the defence no favours alot of the time. Too many times imo.

If he returns the Edmonton Eskimos need to have a really good year in 2019 or President Rhodes GM Sunderland and HC Maas should all go down. They have made some decisions. But some big ones still remain.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    I really hope not. It’s nothing personal but even with my limited experience I can see that the defence is not good enough. And I believe there is plenty of individual talent on the defence. For some reason they could not play a complete game for a whole game or to grab a game by throat if the offence wasn’t doing much of anything.

I defer to the more knowledgeable of you but this is my true opinion.

I believe the offence did the defence no favours alot of the time. Too many times imo.

If he returns the Edmonton Eskimos need to have a really good year in 2019 or President Rhodes GM Sunderland and HC Maas should all go down. They have made some decisions. But some big ones still remain.
    I agree that the offense didn't do the defense any favours but in turn either did the defense do the offense any favours. Like I said in a different thread, the offense had protection issues that hurt them big time IMO. The offense was plagued by dropped passes thanks to Stafford and especially Hazelton. The loss of Walker was massive and the GM did nothing to address it. But the defense didn't have play makers IMO. How many times did we see easy INT's get dropped? The guy was in the right spot, make a damn play. How many times did the secondary blow a tackle and the receiver get the first down because of it? The DB was in the right spot, wrap him up and put him down. This whole hockey body check BS we see has to stop. The players have massive shoulder pads designed to absorb contact. So hitting a receiver shoulder to shoulder doesn't do a damn thing. Yet over and over again we saw it. Even the Esks best DB, Grymes sucked at tackling this year. Wrap him up!! How many times did the defense actually have a 2 and out only to have a stupid penalty happen? Lots, especially early on.

So while I said I am not a big fan of Bene, scheme doesn't fix guys not catching an easy INT. Scheme doesn't fix guys not tackling properly. Scheme doesn't fix a player taking a stupid penalty. I have said it many times, I do not think most of the DB's are good in coverage. I saw way too many times DB's just flat out getting beat. All that stuff crushed the defense.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I would be curious (and of course we'll never find out) how much SMS is spent on defense versus offense? I would guess that the offense would be higher per player, even if you factor out the quarterback salary. Regardless, I would be willing to bet that we spend less on our defense than a lot of teams. I would bet that Chris Jones throws down the most coin for his. There were definitely issues in coaching strategy on D for us this year, but so many things factor into the overall result.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The good:

The bad:

Where do you get these stats?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Where do you get these stats?
    A lot of good team stats are on the CFL site

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...k-21-Final.pdf
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I would be curious (and of course we'll never find out) how much SMS is spent on defense versus offense? I would guess that the offense would be higher per player, even if you factor out the quarterback salary. Regardless, I would be willing to bet that we spend less on our defense than a lot of teams. I would bet that Chris Jones throws down the most coin for his. There were definitely issues in coaching strategy on D for us this year, but so many things factor into the overall result.
    only going to get worse when Reilly gets a pay bump. In a cap league you are going to leave yourself deficient in some areas of your team, those are the areas you have to find the diamonds in the rough. something that Huff and Hervey have proven to be able to do, yet to see the same from Sunderland but 2019 will be the judgment year for me.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Its not 100 percent he will be back. Most of those fired are, imo not major coaches... DC is a major one.. perhaps they want to see who'd be available before **** canning Benny

vCash

You can certainly make the claim that personnel is part of the problem but Bene has been here 3 years with some different players and this soft zone crap he runs is not effective.

They gave up 8.6 yards per pass in 2016 (which would still be 8th this year), 8.0 in 2017 (would be 7th) and then a whopping 9.0 yards in 2018, which was only beat out by the Argos horrendous defence.

How many years and different players are we going to give this guy? It’s overdue time for a change.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    So while I said I am not a big fan of Bene, scheme doesn't fix guys not catching an easy INT. Scheme doesn't fix guys not tackling properly. Scheme doesn't fix a player taking a stupid penalty. I have said it many times, I do not think most of the DB's are good in coverage. I saw way too many times DB's just flat out getting beat. All that stuff crushed the defense.
    THIS!

No place on this roster (even OL) suffered as a group as much as our secondary. I'm not canning a DC when he can consistently get to the QB, rather, I'm bringing in new cover guys who can cover long enough for the rush to get to there. Seriously think about that, we led the league in sacks and our DB's couldn't cover long enough to get off the field. Thats a personnel not scheme issue.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    THIS!

No place on this roster (even OL) suffered as a group as much as our secondary. I'm not canning a DC when he can consistently get to the QB, rather, I'm bringing in new cover guys who can cover long enough for the rush to get to there. Seriously think about that, we led the league in sacks and our DB's couldn't cover long enough to get off the field. Thats a personnel not scheme issue.
    So you’re blaming the players for the secondary being awful but crediting Bene for the DLine getting sacks? That DLine also gave up the 8th worse yards per rushing play.

vCash

So you’re blaming the players for the secondary being awful but crediting Bene for the DLine getting sacks? That DLine also gave up the 8th worse yards per rushing play.
    Pick any coverage you want to run, 3 deep, 2 deep, quarters, man, anything.... They are all significantly easier to play when getting to the qb. The fact that we got to the qb regularly, and our defense still stunk points to players playing the coverage, not the coverages been called.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Scheme Scheme Scheme is the #1 problem. Troy Aikman sunday night football, 80% of coverage is man to man or some form. Zone cannot be used alot because todays modern QB is too accurate. Aikman knows a little about football .It doesnt matter NFL or CFL zone coverage is passe. Bene plays this 80% of the time.It is easy to see what coverage they sre in and easy to run against. The results dont lie!!!

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Said at the begining of the year we were too light on the edges and we got run over
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Said at the begining of the year we were too light on the edges and we got run over
    Yes Hervey knew the formula big players who are athletes. Control both lines of scrimmage. = winning football

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
    Yes Hervey knew the formula big players who are athletes. Control both lines of scrimmage. = winning football
    That's how Winnipeg won on Sunday.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    That's how Winnipeg won on Sunday.
    That and sask we’re playing without a qb.. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Bc’s interior got dicked hard by ted and co last weekend.. that centre was under pressure all day... not sure how the lions fans felt but I can assure u we would have been roasting that oline post game for sure..

Also read that figs is a free agent.. time to bring him homeZ he’s been paid...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Teams really liked to run the ball against us. Despite our zone secondary and tendency to give up big plays, teams were more likely to run against us than against anyone else (save Toronto). Aside from Toronto we also gave up the most average yards per rushing attempt; so there was good reason they ran against us.
    I don't remember a lot of teams running it up the gut against us - Sewell, Ceresna, and Sherritt all had strong years disrupting things down the middle.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Teams really liked to run the ball against us. Despite our zone secondary and tendency to give up big plays, teams were more likely to run against us than against anyone else (save Toronto). Aside from Toronto we also gave up the most average yards per rushing attempt; so there was good reason they ran against us.
    I don't remember a lot of teams running it up the gut against us - Sewell, Ceresna, and Sherritt all had strong years disrupting things down the middle.
    our Dline is in pass rush mode every down because if they dont get pressure its easy pitch and catch. Also our linebackers are back farther for zone so when RB hits hole they are through until next level.Alot harder to tackle when they are coming full speed at you. Again Bennys scheme is archaic and easy to run against. I dont know of any other team either league who uses this style. Last year we couldnt stop the run either,

vCash

our Dline is in pass rush mode every down because if they dont get pressure its easy pitch and catch. Also our linebackers are back farther for zone so when RB hits hole they are through until next level.Alot harder to tackle when they are coming full speed at you. Again Bennys scheme is archaic and easy to run against. I dont know of any other team either league who uses this style. Last year we couldnt stop the run either,
    Stubs runs a similar style... if not in system in philosophy ..

vCash

Mark Washington in BC. They couldnít stop the run either, or 2nd and long for that matter. Didnít he play under Bene?
    Last edited by Smartie123; 11-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.

I like Benny as a coach, but his defensive philosophy is outdated.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Does this read that you like the man but not his coaching?
    no phone and internet for 36 hrs due to windstorm. life was hell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I’m trying to not get negative on this thread..

I have zero issues with bene the man I can hand on heart say I never wanted bene here and I have tried to support the good but also I’ll never hesitate to give an opinion on the bad..and even through all that for 3 years I’ve supported him best I feel I can.. I do not hate the man but I really feel we need a fresh ideology on defence...

He’s had 3 years.... it’s not like he’s just come in and we have stunk.. we have had the same issues defensively for 3 years..

If bene returns.. I’ll continue to keep my mouth shut ( except gdt ) and support best I can but it’s smack in the face for those of us who believe in Jason maas as a hc.. Jason can be great but u gotta know when it’s loyalty or detrimental...