Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benevides Potentially Coming Back. Come again?

vCash

Re: Benevides Potentially Coming Back. Come again?

I have been hugely disappointed with the Defensive play of the EE but I'm not sure it's all on Benevides. I mean seriously, do we have even 1 player capable of man coverage. Every time we abandon zone there are multiple open targets for opposition qb's.
    Then we complain that our 4 / 5 man rush can't put immediate pressure on. To me the major issue is the skill level of the db's who frankly are mediocre at best.
    Benevides can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I know the new leagues will make it even tougher to sign real talent at our price point but that's the GM's job FFS and it's time for him to put up or move on.

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Does this read that you like the man but not his coaching?
    Yeah, I think he knows how to lead his players and is well respected by them, but he appears to still be running the same schemes that brought him success 10 years ago even though the league has changed dramatically. I'm no expert but from what I can tell, he hasn't adapted his philosophy to keep up with those changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Iím trying to not get negative on this thread..

I have zero issues with bene the man I can hand on heart say I never wanted bene here and I have tried to support the good but also Iíll never hesitate to give an opinion on the bad..and even through all that for 3 years Iíve supported him best I feel I can.. I do not hate the man but I really feel we need a fresh ideology on defence...

Heís had 3 years.... itís not like heís just come in and we have stunk.. we have had the same issues defensively for 3 years..

If bene returns.. Iíll continue to keep my mouth shut ( except gdt ) and support best I can but itís smack in the face for those of us who believe in Jason maas as a hc.. Jason can be great but u gotta know when itís loyalty or detrimental...
    I'm with you, I cut him slack in '16 because we had turned over more than half our defensive starters that year, I gave him a break in '17 because of the constant lineup rotation due to injuries, but in my mind there is no excuse for the continued regression in 2018. Even when the D was playing better down the stretch, they couldn't be counted on to get a quick stop when we needed it and I think part of the offensive woes had to do with not being able to get into a rhythm due to the long drives the defense would constantly surrender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by couchspud View Post
    I have been hugely disappointed with the Defensive play of the EE but I'm not sure it's all on Benevides. I mean seriously, do we have even 1 player capable of man coverage. Every time we abandon zone there are multiple open targets for opposition qb's.
    Then we complain that our 4 / 5 man rush can't put immediate pressure on. To me the major issue is the skill level of the db's who frankly are mediocre at best.
    Benevides can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I know the new leagues will make it even tougher to sign real talent at our price point but that's the GM's job FFS and it's time for him to put up or move on.
    Grymes, Hightower, Thompson, and Colquoun can all play man quite well but they never get the chance to because Benny calls zone 80% of the time. In theory it should lead to turnovers but in reality, QB's and OC's are smart enough to find the holes quickly these days.

vCash

According to Jason Gregor, who's plugged in, Mike Benevides will be returning as Eskimos DC unless he's taken for another head coaching position. Which isn't happening.

Reilly better be on this team next year, or I will not be involved in supporting this team. I can't believe Jason Maas is that stupid to make this same mistake for the 3rd year in a row.

vCash
    Blog Entries

One of those times that I really REALLY hope Gregor is wrong.... F*cking Benevides....
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Sigh......

I’ve already resigned myself to the fact he’s coming back.. he’d be fired already if he wasn’t

Sigh........

vCash

FML What redeeming qualities do they see in the man?!?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    FML What redeeming qualities do they see in the man?!?
    The only thing I can see is that his Defense tends to improve over the course of a season.

The problem with that... they always start at the bottom so that in-season improvement only gets them to average.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The only thing I can see is that his Defense tends to improve over the course of a season.

The problem with that... they always start at the bottom so that in-season improvement only gets them to average.
    Sorta I mean I was at the game in BC this year believe me that defence was far less than average

So another year of 4 man rushes with a drop zone behind them.

Lovely....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Sorta I mean I was at the game in BC this year believe me that defence was far less than average

So another year of 4 man rushes with a drop zone behind them.

Lovely....
    Well I was stretching to find some kind of redeeming quality.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Well I was stretching to find some kind of redeeming quality.
    you'd have to be elasticman to find one
    In Rod we trust

vCash

How many games this year did we lose, leading late in the fourth quarter with opposition O pinned deep in its own end?
    I do recall my anger after one lose to Hamilton. I was especially angry then because this type of loss was a recurring theme.
    How many times in the fourth quarter did we count on the D to hold the opposition so we could get ball back, only to see opposition take what it needed. Last crucial loss to BC comes to mind.

vCash

Not nearly as many times as the offence failing to score points quarters at a time.

I do want a more aggressive defence though.

As an armchair HC on the outside who's livelihood is not hanging in the balance, I'd like to see a fresh philosophy on D. But if Maas brings Benny back then I guess that means he believes Benny knows how to fix things.

As frustrated as I've been with the D they have looked good in stretches, they were one of the top pass defenses in 2017, and tied for the league lead in sacks in 2018. Maybe there's some missing ingredient preventing them from putting it all together, I dunno.

I said earlier I'd like to take a flyer on Shivers from Sask as he looks like the next Orlando Steinhour to me, but it's not looking like that's gonna happen now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    As an armchair HC on the outside who's livelihood is not hanging in the balance, I'd like to see a fresh philosophy on D. But if Maas brings Benny back then I guess that means he believes Benny knows how to fix things.

As frustrated as I've been with the D they have looked good in stretches, they were one of the top pass defenses in 2017, and tied for the league lead in sacks in 2018. Maybe there's some missing ingredient preventing them from putting it all together, I dunno.

I said earlier I'd like to take a flyer on Shivers from Sask as he looks like the next Orlando Steinhour to me, but it's not looking like that's gonna happen now.
    Pretty sure it's the guy we're talking about.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    Pretty sure it's the guy we're talking about.
    Well most of the defensive backfield and one particular linebacker need an upgrade too. It's not just Benevides, but a combination of scheme and personnel.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

In Rod we trust

vCash

Yayyyyyy, there's hope for 2019!!!!
    Last edited by TeqEEla; 12-07-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

It sounds like a move that was designed to "save face" for him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Well goddamn did not expect thst this late in the year..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    It sounds like a move that was designed to "save face" for him.
    I'm ok with that.. I don't hate bene... I'm happy for him to leave with dignity no questions...

vCash

Christmas came 2 weeks early.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Well goddamn did not expect thst this late in the year..

- - - Updated - - -

For sure. He has family to support so I wish him good luck in any future endeavors . Hopefully this team has moved past the stage of not fixing things which most people see as problems. Such as having a punt returner that is not used as a weapon and only used as a centre fielder just to catch the ball and turtle, a behind the times ST coach a D that is too soft and not using the running game more.

I'm ok with that.. I don't hate bene... I'm happy for him to leave with dignity no questions...

vCash

Who do people expect to see as his replacement?

Could it be internal : Barron Miles, Demetrius Maxie?
    External: Noel Thorpe perhaps?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Who do people expect to see as his replacement?

Could it be internal : Barron Miles, Demetrius Maxie?
    External: Noel Thorpe perhaps?
    Ottawa was smart. They made Thorpe DC & asst. HC just so no one could pooch him unless for a HC job.

vCash

Great news!

B.Miles would excel as a DC.
    Long live the B.O.N.E.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks996 View Post
    Great news!

B.Miles would excel as a DC.
    Has more experience as a CFL coach than Maxie. Jason seems to like familiarity , so either one of Maxie or Miles might be chosen. If Maas goes in house hopefully one of them does not feel slighted.

vCash

The Esks' talent-level on defence still needs serious upgrading. If that fails to happen, it won't matter who the DC is.

vCash

So, were our DB woes more about Bene's schemes, Baron's coaching, or the players themselves? I ask because that backfield has been a very weak link in a troubled defense the past three seasons.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    So, were our DB woes more about Bene's schemes, Baron's coaching, or the players themselves? I ask because that backfield has been a very weak link in a troubled defense the past three seasons.
    Which makes me wonder if Barron would be the best candidate for DC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    After such a cluster ---- season, I'm looking forward to finding out. Renewed my interest now.

vCash

Really hope they can find another experienced guy, hopefully externally. I think that would be best for Maas' development as a coach.