Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 72

Thread: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Weird Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    JONES: Edmonton Eskimos donate to purchase temporary dome for Commonwealth Stadium
    Terry JonesMore from Terry Jones


    Brad Sparrow, Co-Chair, Grey Cup Festival 2018; Chairman, Board of Directors, Edmonton Eskimos Football Club. Dale MacMillan. / Edmonton Eskimos

    A winter dome for the home of the Eskimos is one significant step closer to becoming the legacy of Edmonton playing host to the 106th Grey Cup.

    The legacy of the already guaranteed-to-be-sensationally-successful Grey Cup, your correspondent has learned, will be $500,000 toward the purchase of a temporary dome to erect over the playing surface of Commonwealth Stadium annually during winter months.

    Identified as a possible legacy project to your agent by Grey Cup Co-Chairmen Brad Sparrow and Len Rhodes back when the massive plans and entertainment line-up for ticketed events to the Grey Cup Festival was announced in September, the project has now received a ‘Go’ from the board of governors of the community-owned organization.

    “We are now prepared to make a $500,000 contribution, as part of the Grey Cup legacy donation, toward a stadium dome,” revealed Rhodes, the Eskimos President and CEO. “The final dome approval is now dependent on a series of steps and budget approval processes that are in the hands of the City of Edmonton at the moment, but we are hopeful that everything will be approved.”

    It is the history of major Edmonton sports events that there be a significant legacy involved. It’s also part of the reason why Edmonton has earned the reputation as the world capital of volunteerism. The legacy projects are the payoff to the volunteers, the citizens who buy the tickets and the companies that get involved in sponsorships.

    Commonwealth Stadium, itself, came into being as a result of the 1978 Commonwealth Games and was expanded from 43,346 seats as a legacy from the 1983 FISU World Universiade Games and drew Grey Cup crowds of 60,081 in 1984, 60,431 in 1997, 62,531 in 2002 and 63,317 in 2010.

    Visitors to all those Grey Cups have witnessed Commonwealth Stadium transform to include spacious concession and hosting areas on both sides of the stadium, game day suites, a large field house, massive community recreation centre, three floors of Eskimos offices and a game day hosting deck overlooking the field, the state of the art team dressing room that will be occupied by either the Calgary Stampeders or Winnipeg Blue Bombers next week and the new visiting dressing room where either the Ottawa RedBlacks or Hamilton Tiger-Cats will reside.

    Visiting Grey Cup fans, for the first time, will sit in the new wider green and gold colored seats that have resulted in a reduced capacity of 55,819 in the facility that remains as the largest open-air stadium in Canada. The new configuration first came into play for the opening game and largest number of games, at 11, involved in the Canada 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

    The seats are the legacy of that event while the other enhancements resulted from playing host to events such as the 2002 FIFA Women’s U-19 World Championship, 2001 World Track & Field Championships as well as the previous four Grey Cups.

    “Yes, we believe in the importance of a Grey Cup legacy project. We have earmarked $500,000 for the legacy project as a financial contribution to the project estimated to cost $2.5 to $3 million,” said Rhodes.

    “The benefit would be to allow amateur football and other amateur sports access to a facility during the winter months. Equipping the stadium for winter use will maximize use of the facility during the entire 12-month calendar and provide the community with added recreation space.

    “And in terms of legacy, there would be another benefit. It would help our chances of being awarded hosting rights to a future Mark’s CFL Week, something we want dearly for our city,” he said of the relatively new off-season event that brings 60 CFL stars to a city for a TSN video shoot, fan festival, Spirit of Edmonton-style party event and media “car wash” interviewing sessions with player interactions with fans throughout the week. It concludes with the CFL Combine player testing of draft eligible players for which the dome over the field would be perfect.

    “City administration will submit this proposal in their upcoming budgeting process. They really appreciated our pledge to provide meaningful financial support. The timing for knowing if there is project approval is anticipated to come after the Grey Cup.

    “The field dome is our first choice as a legacy project, so we will wait for the city’s approval process to unfold according to their timelines. The City of Edmonton has been a wonderful partner all year long and we could not have hosted the Grey Cup without their support for the downtown festival and the game itself. A field dome would be our icing on the cake.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,931
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Eat a d*ck Rhodes. What a waste of time and money. Maybe if you actually cared about winning and put everything you put into rescue dogs and hip hop acts (although not trying to say rescue animals are a bad thing but...) you wouldn't need to find a Legacy project. Your Legacy is being a terrible President and that's about it.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - That’s ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    I dont mind the dome idea personally... but for me I'd love it earlier as it always fricken rained.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    I wondered if something like this could be doable after seeing them Dome Foote Field last year for some work. I like the idea, but notice why are they announcing it like it's a done deal when the reality is they're only ear-marking about 20% of the actual project costs and the City seems to be notably absent in this announcement. Could this be Rhodes fishing for favour when this doesn't even look close to a done deal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I wondered if something like this could be doable after seeing them Dome Foote Field last year for some work. I like the idea, but notice why are they announcing it like it's a done deal when the reality is they're only ear-marking about 20% of the actual project costs and the City seems to be notably absent in this announcement. Could this be Rhodes fishing for favour when this doesn't even look close to a done deal.
    I think Rhodes is feeling the heat from the fan base, and he is have tubs do stories on stuff he's trying to do in order to gain more favoritism.. There's also a story from Tubbs, about some secret roof top 15 min concert next Wednesday to kick off grey cup festivities. ( its in the sun ) I notice these fluff pieces by tubbs are sure to mention Rhodes and Brad Sparrow are responsible.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I think Rhodes is feeling the heat from the fan base, and he is have tubs do stories on stuff he's trying to do in order to gain more favoritism.. There's also a story from Tubbs, about some secret roof top 15 min concert next Wednesday to kick off grey cup festivities. ( its in the sun ) I notice these fluff pieces by tubbs are sure to mention Rhodes and Brad Sparrow are responsible.
    Of course there is. 15 minute concerts is Len's solution to everything.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    I hate how Tubbs now refers to himself as "your correspondent" in every friggin article he writes now. Such a douche move.
    Is it game day yet?????

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,142
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    100

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Eat a d*ck Rhodes. What a waste of time and money. Maybe if you actually cared about winning and put everything you put into rescue dogs and hip hop acts (although not trying to say rescue animals are a bad thing but...) you wouldn't need to find a Legacy project. Your Legacy is being a terrible President and that's about it.
    The fact he's a dog lover is pretty much the only redeeming quality in the guy tbh.
    In Rod we trust

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I hate how Tubbs now refers to himself as "your correspondent" in every friggin article he writes now. Such a douche move.
    In the article about the grey cup kickoff and roof top concert, he uses "your correspondent" and "your agent" massive douche

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,468
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    That’s a big ass space to try and cover with a dome...

    I’ve never seen it done before..

    Curious how that would legitimately work

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    That’s a big ass space to try and cover with a dome...

    I’ve never seen it done before..

    Curious how that would legitimately work
    I've tried to look at pictures online and I suspect it would only cover the field, so I'm not sure what benefit it really serves other than training space or concert hall/trade show space in the winter months as it wouldn't cover the seats.

    Also of note, the dome at Foote Field was $3.7 million so they aren't reporting real numbers.
    Last edited by bone; 11-16-2018 at 04:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,748
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    BC place dome cost over $500 million. That's a lot of 80s hip-hop concerts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,987
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    256

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    I think they forgot to put an extra letter " o" in the press release. With the present leader I am of the opinion that the EEFC and Commonwealth are quite possibly doomed until changes made.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I've tried to look at pictures online and I suspect it would only cover the field, so I'm not sure what benefit it really serves other than training space or concert hall/trade show space in the winter months as it wouldn't cover the seats.
    .
    with rhodent at the helm this is exactly what the doom err sorry dome would be for. It wouldn't be for the fans who have to sit in the ****.. it'll be for more corporate bull****. just another thing to pay for by taking more money out of football ops.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,931
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Would equal about a dollar less per ticket for every seat at every game next season but that’s. One of my business.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - That’s ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,309
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    I don't care about any of this. I want a Grey cup contending team.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,816
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't care about any of this. I want a Grey cup contending team.
    Absolutely agree.
    Give us Grey Cups.
    Gives us an annual contender - and not a bloody 5th place and out of the playoffs.
    I couldn’t care less about a dome, half time acts, or other bobbles.
    A winning team is crucial.
    Dome or no dome - far fewer people are going to Pony Up to see a loser.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    mundare
    Posts
    500
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    It's not a dome for the stadium complete. It would be a temporary dome/bubble for just the field similar to what Foote Field had. It would allow the field to be used during late fall an winter months. No seats would be covered. Sports teams could use it football, soccer, lacrosse etc. The headline makes it look like the stadium would be domed. Lying Bastages.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ab Highway 100
    Posts
    3,346
    vCash
    9500
    Rep Power
    47

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    It's not a dome for the stadium complete. It would be a temporary dome/bubble for just the field similar to what Foote Field had. It would allow the field to be used during late fall an winter months. No seats would be covered. Sports teams could use it football, soccer, lacrosse etc. The headline makes it look like the stadium would be domed. Lying Bastages.
    I struggling to wrap my head around how this will be different than the field house next door. How much more space will be created and how much demand is there for this space?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Absolutely agree.
    Give us Grey Cups.
    Gives us an annual contender - and not a bloody 5th place and out of the playoffs.
    I couldn’t care less about a dome, half time acts, or other bobbles.
    A winning team is crucial.
    Dome or no dome - far fewer people are going to Pony Up to see a loser.
    winning isn't everything.


    - Len Rhodes president of a professional SPORTS TEAM

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    wrong thread
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    x2
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    I struggling to wrap my head around how this will be different than the field house next door. How much more space will be created and how much demand is there for this space?
    Agreed. With Foote Field already offering this type of facility, and the field house being a permanent indoor space, is their any demand for another facility of this same type???
    Is it game day yet?????

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,931
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    The only demand is from Rhodes wanting a "Legacy"... Egotistical jackass.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - That’s ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    mundare
    Posts
    500
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    There is now a full field permanent dome at the Scottish Society in the deep south of Edmonton.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,676
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    196

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    What ****ing good does a dome do if you don't play football games in November anyways? Stupid Rhodent.
    FIRE RHODES!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,408
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Well that article all but guarantees that Rhodes will be back. When you as a team can cut a 500K cheque to go towards a dome without batting an eye, just goes to show how much money that Rhodes is making the team even though the product is crap. The Board based on allowing the Esks to fire a good football guy in Hervey and siding with Rhodes clearly only cares about making money. So I don't see how they fire a guy making them this much money.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,301
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    and he uses money thats for football ops. The BoD is garbage

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,685
    vCash
    2500
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Agreed. With Foote Field already offering this type of facility, and the field house being a permanent indoor space, is their any demand for another facility of this same type???
    And I suspect the cost to rent commonwealth will be cost prohibitive. It was extremely expensive for the Huskies to rent it for their playoff game, and the High School championships held there are also super pricey.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,311
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

    Why would you temporarily dome Commonwealth Stadium when you could o to some other site and permanently dome it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •