Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    That’s a big ass space to try and cover with a dome...

I’ve never seen it done before..

Curious how that would legitimately work
    Obviously you didn't see my second EX-WIFE

vCash

I reread the article and the I wonder if the host of CFL week gets paid by the league? I mean there must be financial implications for a city to host the combine, photo shots, media etc right? My guess now is that is completely a business decision headed towards hosting that event.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

The funny thing is, they've got enough room in the current field house to have the CFL week. (Which they do get paid for)
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Have to smile every time I see the title to this thread, as I read doomed not domed.
    Part of me is relieved in thinking, "… whew … that gd it's only temporary …."

vCash

Wonder if there is any appetite for a full time dome now. I love sitting out doors and watching a game, but as it gets tougher to draw fans, I wonder if a dome might be an option.

vCash
    Blog Entries

A complete dome for Commonwealth would be more than a new stadium. Well, one that'll hold a more realistic size crowd on a regular basis anyways...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    A complete dome for Commonwealth would be more than a new stadium. Well, one that'll hold a more realistic size crowd on a regular basis anyways...
    Exactly. This is why I'm so pissed about this article. The article is making many of the general public think this would actually dome the entire building making the entire facility available year round. If it cost $2M-$3M to do that, every football stadium on the planet would do it.

But that's not at all this is. It a field dome in an area that lacks parking where they already have an indoor facility for many of the activities that could happen inside this dome. This is nothing but Rhodes self-promotion, complete with a large misrepresentation as to the amount the city would have to pay to complete his "legacy".

Makes me want him gone even more.
    Last edited by bone; 11-22-2018 at 02:44 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

For all the good it does, they might as well just cover Clarke like they did with Foote Field. Then you don't have the access to Commonwealth that will most likely come with added security etc.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    For all the good it does, they might as well just cover Clarke like they did with Foote Field. Then you don't have the access to Commonwealth that will most likely come with added security etc.
    Rational decisions don't garner headlines. We know optics matter more than facts (and winning) to the current Eskimos regime.

vCash

I've had a number of friends and co-workers come up to me excited about hearing that they are going to dome commonwealth stadium. Said thety might actually go to a game because it'll be nice a warm inside.
    When I set them straight about it being a seasonal field dome, they were disappointed and wondered if there was actually a need to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I've had a number of friends and co-workers come up to me excited about hearing that they are going to dome commonwealth stadium. Said thety might actually go to a game because it'll be nice a warm inside.
    When I set them straight about it being a seasonal field dome, they were disappointed and wondered if there was actually a need to it.
    It's a shame we Canadians have become so soft, it would seem that in general we're not the hearty people we used to be any more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I've tried to look at pictures online and I suspect it would only cover the field, so I'm not sure what benefit it really serves other than training space or concert hall/trade show space in the winter months as it wouldn't cover the seats.

Also of note, the dome at Foote Field was $3.7 million so they aren't reporting real numbers.
    Exactly, 500k isnít going to pay for a dome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    It's a shame we Canadians have become so soft, it would seem that in general we're not the hearty people we used to be any more.
    Agree, we don’t even need a dome. I can’t remember the last time I sat in a cold game, I’m certain it was the Heritage Classic for hockey though.

Even this weekend will be fine, all we need to do is move the season up a week or two.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

BC has a dome, the Argos used to be in a dome, it doesn't help sell tickets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    BC has a dome, the Argos used to be in a dome, it doesn't help sell tickets.
    BC probably wouldn’t have any fans without a dome, kind of like Toronto is now.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

The dome in BC is awesome. Would be sitting in the rain slmost all the time otherwise.

vCash

I fully agree.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

The way this article/announcement was made is quite laughable and extremely misleading. I see multiple people on social media believing that Commonwealth will be fully domed.

vCash

I'm just glad the doom Commonwealth, and the Esks, are suffering through this year is tempoary (or temporary ) and it will be back to the Grey Cup for the Esks in Calgary.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    I'm just glad the doom Commonwealth, and the Esks, are suffering through this year is tempoary (or temporary ) and it will be back to the Grey Cup for the Esks in Calgary.
    that would be kinda funny
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    that would be kinda funny
    Until massive changes come, it'll only be prolonged, not temporary.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Every pro stadium in Canada should be domed if possible.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    I thought about that.

Stamps are poised for a bit of a collapse (maybe too strong of a word), but if they lose Bo and Claybrooks (which are both rumors that are out there) they could be in for a rough year. I would fully expect Huff and Dickie to find a way to field a competitive team despite those losses, but lets not kid ourselves, the Stamps won last night on the strength of Bo and their league leading defense. Throw in a little bit of GC hangover and you've got a recipe for a new top team to emerge from the West.

At this point that team could be anybody. Sask is a team on the rise but despite their dominant D, their O will always be mediocre at best until they find an elite QB, which isn't likely to happen any time soon.

We're kind of the reverse of Sask in that we have everything we need to dominate on Offence (assuming Reilly is back) but are in need of a revamp in defensive philosophy, Benny may be Maas' McAdoo though...

BC should be on the rise next year as well but they'll essentially be in year one of a total rebuild so may not peak until 2020.

Bombers are the wild card for me right now. Do they build on this past season and take the next step in 2019? I see a possible question mark as to who leads that team at QB going forward. If Walters has a good pre-FA and retains most of his key guys then they should be a force though.

Lots to go down between now and May but at this point, it would appear that the West could be anyone's division next year. And it would be sweet to pay Calgary back by celebrating in their room the way they did in ours.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Every pro stadium in Canada should be domed if possible.

Oh groan. This is Canada, not California. Love it - frost, blizzards and all - or leave it.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

Oh groan. This is Canada, not California. Love it - frost, blizzards and all - or leave it.
    and with 1/10 the population. If a dome gets more asses to the games I"m for it. I do not enjoy sitting in a stadium with pounding rain and wind- even with a dominate winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    and with 1/10 the population. If a dome gets more asses to the games I"m for it. I do not enjoy sitting in a stadium with pounding rain and wind- even with a dominate winning team.
    Personally, if the teams winning, bad weather won't reduce my enjoyment of the game. Assuming I checked the forecast in advance and dressed appropriately which I usually do.

I understand I am probably in the minority though.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 11-26-2018 at 04:50 PM.

vCash

Yup. We're not in the 1970s anymore. Everyone has lots of options to spend their entertainment dollar. If all we can offer them is to sit in a rainstorm, we're not going to succeed like we did back then.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Agree 100%. I am willing to sit through rain and snow, but I'm a die hard fan. I have a very hard time convincing friends and family to go when the weather is poor (which more times than not it is). Too many cozy options for people out there. Sports bars or even man caves at home are more enjoyable.

It'll never happen but there needs to be a new domed 35-40K seat stadium, with nice seats, proper drink holders, comfy bar/restaurants, etc. that can accommodate many events. Think Rogers Place but with a football field and better washrooms.
    They keep slapping lipstick on the pig of CW but eventually it will need to be replaced.

vCash

I thought about that.

Stamps are poised for a bit of a collapse (maybe too strong of a word), but if they lose Bo and Claybrooks (which are both rumors that are out there) they could be in for a rough year. I would fully expect Huff and Dickie to find a way to field a competitive team despite those losses, but lets not kid ourselves, the Stamps won last night on the strength of Bo and their league leading defense. Throw in a little bit of GC hangover and you've got a recipe for a new top team to emerge from the West.

At this point that team could be anybody. Sask is a team on the rise but despite their dominant D, their O will always be mediocre at best until they find an elite QB, which isn't likely to happen any time soon.

We're kind of the reverse of Sask in that we have everything we need to dominate on Offence (assuming Reilly is back) but are in need of a revamp in defensive philosophy, Benny may be Maas' McAdoo though...

BC should be on the rise next year as well but they'll essentially be in year one of a total rebuild so may not peak until 2020.

Bombers are the wild card for me right now. Do they build on this past season and take the next step in 2019? I see a possible question mark as to who leads that team at QB going forward. If Walters has a good pre-FA and retains most of his key guys then they should be a force though.

Lots to go down between now and May but at this point, it would appear that the West could be anyone's division next year. And it would be sweet to pay Calgary back by celebrating in their room the way they did in ours.
    They won on the strength of their defence and special teams play. The 14 points that the offence provided would not have done it for them. Ottawa had multiple chances to dig themselves out of a hole at the end of the game that were provided by Calgary's offence not getting the job done.

vCash

Bo will never get an NFL shot. He's just not good enough on his own, without the Stamps lines to make him look better. Claybrooks might go though.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I remember being excited when Commonwealth Stadium was built because of its huge at its peak 60,081 seating capacity. In more recent years though I've come to resent it because the CFL reduced end zone depths from 25 yards to 20 to enable the Eskimos to play in Commonwealth and made a further accommodation for Commonwealth by allowing for truncated corners in the end zones. These changes brought CFL end zones down to more closely resemble the NFL's puny ones in size.

Moreover I now understand that Commonwealth ushered in the era of CFL stadiums accommodating tracks around the playing field in their designs thus removing spectators further from the action. The contrast in atmosphere between Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton and the Skydome/Condome/Rogers Centre in Toronto acted to really punctuate the negative effect of a track around the playing field for me. I now know that the best football venues are football only stadiums.

Radically Canadian!