Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

vCash

Re: Commonweath to be Tempoarily Domed

The CFL did not reduce the size of the end zone from 25 to 20 yards because of Commonwealth Stadium. It was reduced in size because of the construction of BC Place. BC Place was not big enough for 25 yard end zones and the rest of the leagues end zones were changed to standardize the lengths of the end zones league wide.

Empire Stadium in Vancouver had a track around it. It was built for the 1954 Empire Games. SkyDome and Olympic Stadium and even the CNE Stadium were designed to also accommodate baseball which made for terrible positioning of the football field as it related to the distance from the stands.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    and with 1/10 the population. If a dome gets more asses to the games I"m for it. I do not enjoy sitting in a stadium with pounding rain and wind- even with a dominate winning team.
    Agreed 100% I wouldn't mind if one day the football stadium in YEG be it Commonwealth or whatever comes after it is fully domed.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

For the record, there is demand for another domed field in town. The field house and Foote are booked solid with Football, Flag Football, soccer, ultimate frisbee and more. Doming Commonwealth is dumb, they don't want anyone in the dressing rooms or the rest of the facility, it would be a much better fit at Clarke or as part of the JP Bowl redevelopment (if that ever gets going for real)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    I remember being excited when Commonwealth Stadium was built because of its huge at its peak 60,081 seating capacity. In more recent years though I've come to resent it because the CFL reduced end zone depths from 25 yards to 20 to enable the Eskimos to play in Commonwealth and made a further accommodation for Commonwealth by allowing for truncated corners in the end zones. These changes brought CFL end zones down to more closely resemble the NFL's puny ones in size.

Moreover I now understand that Commonwealth ushered in the era of CFL stadiums accommodating tracks around the playing field in their designs thus removing spectators further from the action. The contrast in atmosphere between Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton and the Skydome/Condome/Rogers Centre in Toronto acted to really punctuate the negative effect of a track around the playing field for me. I now know that the best football venues are football only stadiums.

And which stadiums are you referring to here?

No CFL stadium built after Commonwealth has a track around it. The only other stadium with a track is Percival Molson at McGill, which was originally built in 1914...and even then the track is only four lanes wide.

As said, Skydome has plenty of area behind the benches due to the need for the baseball configuration - but it was not built to accommodate a track as the length needed for the track is significantly longer than the football configuration.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Commonwealth is now over 40 years old. If the CFL manages to survive the next 20 years a new stadium will need to be built.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Commonwealth is now over 40 years old. If the CFL manages to survive the next 20 years a new stadium will need to be built.
    Big IF
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Big IF
    Yup. Sad, but true.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Big IF
    CFL South aka Mexico intrigues me.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    I remember being excited when Commonwealth Stadium was built because of its huge at its peak 60,081 seating capacity. In more recent years though I've come to resent it because the CFL reduced end zone depths from 25 yards to 20 to enable the Eskimos to play in Commonwealth and made a further accommodation for Commonwealth by allowing for truncated corners in the end zones. These changes brought CFL end zones down to more closely resemble the NFL's puny ones in size.

Moreover I now understand that Commonwealth ushered in the era of CFL stadiums accommodating tracks around the playing field in their designs thus removing spectators further from the action. The contrast in atmosphere between Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton and the Skydome/Condome/Rogers Centre in Toronto acted to really punctuate the negative effect of a track around the playing field for me. I now know that the best football venues are football only stadiums.

Though I understand that sentiment, we can't expect to build single use buildings for what amounts to 9-10 events per year and make them affordable particularly when there is so little money in the CFL overall. It would be wasteful and and irresponsible.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Here's an interesting idea... How about a discount based on how long you've had your season seats for? Been a seat holder for 20 years? 20% off the price. 30 years? 30% and so on and so forth. Gives a big friggin incentive to keep those season tickets for a few more years. Or maybe freeze ticket prices for people like rent control in an apartment. Don't mean to hijack the thread but just throwing it out there.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Nice throw boydo!

But that would mean you have to attract new fans.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Though I understand that sentiment, we can't expect to build single use buildings for what amounts to 9-10 events per year and make them affordable particularly when there is so little money in the CFL overall. It would be wasteful and and irresponsible.
    A 40k stadium that doesn't have the track around the field, that has enough washrooms and has a more intimate feel to it could be used for football, soccer, concerts, festivals, rugby........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Here's an interesting idea... How about a discount based on how long you've had your season seats for? Been a seat holder for 20 years? 20% off the price. 30 years? 30% and so on and so forth. Gives a big friggin incentive to keep those season tickets for a few more years. Or maybe freeze ticket prices for people like rent control in an apartment. Don't mean to hijack the thread but just throwing it out there.
    How about have a product that people are willing to pay to see?