Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alliance of American Football 2019 Thread

vCash

Re: Alliance of American Football 2019 Thread

I think he's talking about the "duck-duck-goose" game and the simulated home run when the team wins at the end of the game.

Don Cherry sure objected to it. Usually I'm against these antics as a version of taunting, but the game's already over and the road team's in their dressing room...let them have their fun.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I think he's talking about the "duck-duck-goose" game and the simulated home run when the team wins at the end of the game.

Don Cherry sure objected to it. Usually I'm against these antics as a version of taunting, but the game's already over and the road team's in their dressing room...let them have their fun.
    If it sells more tickets or turns a few kids into hockey fans, have at it.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wasn't crazy about the simulated bowling ball hitting the pins for a strike either. Could you imagine the Carolina Panthers doing something like that at the end of an NFL game? Crowd would have thought the players had lost their marbles. If you have to resort to such gimmicks then hockey doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. I'm more than good with saluting the crowd by clapping or skating up to the boards or signing autographs or meeting the fans. Duck-duck-goose, simulated baseball, and human bowling at the end of a hockey game to engage the fans to me screams of desperation where you are saying the hockey game isn't good enough so let's add some gimmicks. To me it's not disrespecting the opposing team as much as it is disrespecting the game. They can do it I don't care it just sends me the message that hockey is a fringe/minor league sport in Carolina that will never matter. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by adb; 02-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Wasn't crazy about the simulated bowling ball hitting the pins for a strike either. Could you imagine the Carolina Panthers doing something like that at the end of an NFL game? Crowd would have thought the players had lost their marbles. If you have to resort to such gimmicks then hockey doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. I'm more than good with saluting the crowd by clapping or skating up to the boards or signing autographs or meeting the fans. Duck-duck-goose, simulated baseball, and human bowling at the end of a hockey game to engage the fans to me screams of desperation where you are saying the hockey game isn't good enough so let's add some gimmicks. To me it's not disrespecting the opposing team as much as it is disrespecting the game. They can do it I don't care it just sends me the message that hockey is a fringe/minor league sport in Carolina that will never matter. My 2 cents.
    So all the choreographed touchdown celebrations in the NFL mean they're a fringe second tier sport? I think I've seen duck duck goose, bowling, and homeruns after touchdowns.

I'm not a fan of it, but who cares? If the road team doesn't like the victory celebration, stop the victory celebration.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    So all the choreographed touchdown celebrations in the NFL mean they're a fringe second tier sport? I think I've seen duck duck goose, bowling, and homeruns after touchdowns.

I'm not a fan of it, but who cares? If the road team doesn't like the victory celebration, stop the victory celebration.
    I don't care...was just making the observation that the NHL will never matter in Carolina and that it will always be considered a fringe sport there. That's all.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

For sale all AAF training equipment no price refused....oh not there yet?
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

I just wanna see the new Tweeder End Zone Dance. You know what he calls it???

Ya you do...
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

I thought with CFL free agency slated for after the start of the AAF season, we were safe from poaching. But based on recent signings, it seems the AAF is willing to sign guys mid year. However, it hasn't materialized in many guys waiting out free agency in CFL to jump south.
    For Ciante Evans and Dylan Wynn - I really think signing in the AAF is just about trying to get into an NFL training camp for later in 2019. Re-signing in CFL means they are off NFL radar until Feb 2020; a missed season. And if these two still don't have NFL offers later this year (and the AAF dissolves) they might be back in the CFL by Labour Day.
    I think it is the same case for a couple Canadians - Boyko and Charles. Both just trying to stay on the NFL radar for training camp.
    For Terrell Sinkfield, I think he left the CFL and tried his luck in the NFL. He came back to CFL late last season. Only to find he was back at the bottom of the pecking order. Even with injuries in Hamilton's receiver corps, he still was behind other rookies and guys who had been on the roster all year. This probably meant he wasn't going to get any huge offers in the CFL this year.

vCash

I hope most of these players got paid up front. LOL!
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

AAF TEAM ORLANDO APOLLOS WILL PRACTICE IN GEORGIA DUE TO WORKERS COMP LAWS

David Hookstead | Reporter

There’s more chaos surrounding the Alliance of American Football, and this time it takes place down in Florida.

The Orlando Apollos apparently can’t even practice in the state of Florida because of workers compensation laws. So, they’re headed to Georgia to find a gridiron to play on.

The Orlando Sentinel reported the following on the team’s decision to practice north of the Florida border:

AAF officials say the reason this is even an issue is because Florida, unlike many other states, will not cover professional athletes under its workers compensation laws. In Florida, professional athletes are not categorized as employees, which means state law prevents pro athletes from filing workers comp claims for injuries incurred while on the job.

According to AAF officials, other more established professional leagues who have teams in the state — such as the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball — have all managed to find insurance companies that will insure their entire leagues. The AAF, because it is start-up league in the perilously dangerous sport of football, has been unable to locate a company that will insure all eight teams in the league

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/20/o...rgia-practice/
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    AAF TEAM ORLANDO APOLLOS WILL PRACTICE IN GEORGIA DUE TO WORKERS COMP LAWS

David Hookstead | Reporter

There’s more chaos surrounding the Alliance of American Football, and this time it takes place down in Florida.

The Orlando Apollos apparently can’t even practice in the state of Florida because of workers compensation laws. So, they’re headed to Georgia to find a gridiron to play on.

The Orlando Sentinel reported the following on the team’s decision to practice north of the Florida border:

AAF officials say the reason this is even an issue is because Florida, unlike many other states, will not cover professional athletes under its workers compensation laws. In Florida, professional athletes are not categorized as employees, which means state law prevents pro athletes from filing workers comp claims for injuries incurred while on the job.

According to AAF officials, other more established professional leagues who have teams in the state — such as the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball — have all managed to find insurance companies that will insure their entire leagues. The AAF, because it is start-up league in the perilously dangerous sport of football, has been unable to locate a company that will insure all eight teams in the league

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/20/o...rgia-practice/
    So their solution may address an injury incurred on the practice field but what about during a home game? Does that mean that a player from either team would not be able to file a claim if they get injured? I know the guys that have signed down there really want an NFL shot but I don't see how the risk would be worth it. Also does this open the league up to the possibility of being sued?

vCash

So their solution may address an injury incurred on the practice field but what about during a home game? Does that mean that a player from either team would not be able to file a claim if they get injured? I know the guys that have signed down there really want an NFL shot but I don't see how the risk would be worth it. Also does this open the league up to the possibility of being sued?
    I presume, when it comes to games played in Florida, the risk is the same as in the CFL - where there is no external insurance, and it is up to the teams to cover a guy's injury-related costs for 365 days from the occurrence. This is, I believe, covered under the CBA and player contracts.

In the AAF, if I understand correctly, the league owns all of the teams, so presumably, in the case where there is an injury that is longer-term in nature, the league would have a provision in it's contracts to backstop the costs where there is not other insurance/workers compensation to foot the bill.

Why this story flags for me is that the AAF was pretty forward with the benefit angle in attracting players. They almost certainly have to have something in place to cover this off though. It still seems as yet another little credibility hit in the very short early existence of the league.

vCash

vCash

It has been amazing to see how quickly things have shifted from optimism to pessimism. Yes, there were some predicting failure before even knowing what the product was, but for some of the wait and see crowd, it's been a helluva slide in a mere 3 weeks.

There are lots of admirable things that are involved in the league, and some others that are nicely innovative. While selfishly, from a CFL perspective, the AAF poses a threat in competing for talent, I was hoping for more success than they've had to date due to the relatively player-focused approach.

vCash

Atlanta Legends acting OC, Rich Bartel resigned before their home opener this weekend. Bartel was interim OC because Michael Vick quit that job back in early February. Bartel becomes the third Atlanta coach to walk away from the AAF as original head coach, Brad Childress quit back in January.

vCash

and in other news my beloved Hams win again 3-0 baby we're going to the championship!!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    and in other news my beloved Hams win again 3-0 baby we're going to the championship!!
    Will there be one?

vCash

My first thought was that that was a low scoring game.

vCash

Will there be one?
    yep then everything will be repo'd during the post game celebration
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think we are a little early in starting an XFL thread, so I will post this here...

vCash

Yikes. Well at least they aren't giving away tickets to the Championship game with an order from Pizza Pizza.

There was also this from Saturday's game

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 03-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.

vCash

Today's game at Salt Lake City...

vCash
    Blog Entries

This whole league is on an Oilers-level nosedive of "total hype to total failure".

I wonder how many of the former CFL'ers are rethinking their decision to head south...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

vCash

Wanted to share this here, on the last episode of The Brad and Avry Hour we had on the play by play voice of the Orlando Apollos, Jamie Seh.

https://soundcloud.com/brad-and-avry...rlando-apollos

Jamie is one of the few women doing play by play in football, a really fun chat with her.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post
    Wanted to share this here, on the last episode of The Brad and Avry Hour we had on the play by play voice of the Orlando Apollos, Jamie Seh.

https://soundcloud.com/brad-and-avry...rlando-apollos

Jamie is one of the few women doing play by play in football, a really fun chat with her.
    Great interview with Jamie. Thanks, Av.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    This whole league is on an Oilers-level nosedive of "total hype to total failure".

I wonder how many of the former CFL'ers are rethinking their decision to head south...
    Looks like a lot of the players on the CFL's radar are still choosing the AAF strictly on the basis of being able to continue to chase their NFL dreams without impediment. Found the following article on 3down nation to be quite illuminating in this area. See link below:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/10/c...ck-in-the-nfl/

vCash

Looks like a lot of the players on the CFL's radar are still choosing the AAF strictly on the basis of being able to continue to chase their NFL dreams without impediment. Found the following article on 3down nation to be quite illuminating in this area. See link below:

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/10/c...ck-in-the-nfl/
    I think that the decision makes reasonably good sense for Boyko, but everyone is going to be a bit different.

For him - he's been on NFL radars, and with the new league, he's likely going to have those NFL eyeballs on him this year with a chance of a 2019 contract. If he were to have returned to the CFL, presumably on a 2+1 rookie deal, he likely falls off their radar completely. He's already 4 years in on the practice roster tour, and while he could still have an 8 year CFL career, this is likely his last legitimate chance to get an NFL shot without having to be at an all-star level in the CFL to earn one.

The downside is, he's making a 3-year commitment, presuming that the AAF lasts. If he's going to get an NFL look, it's going to be this off-season, and it will be interesting to see what the AAF does with players that don't get that. Will they hold them under contract for the full three years? Will they release guys that ask for their release? Will they release guys that don't show NFL potential?

The AAF, if it survives, will have to find credibility from seeing some of their players move to the NFL. They would then be faced with the decision of whether they want the identity as a feeder league, attracting up and coming talent, or to be a stand-alone product, and looking to find the best talent available regardless of whether it fits the NFL mold.

Guys that are playing the longer game, recognizing that the CFL allows them to develop and showcase some skills that the AAF or NFL PRs would not allow for, will still be well served heading north for a few years to put together some film and gather some attention. It may not be as quick of a path, but it may be ultimately more sustainable, and build out other avenues in the meantime. The timing of the CFL season overlapping with the NFL season will always mean that the CFL has to be a longer-term approach to getting there.

vCash

I can't see the AAF lasting beyond one season. In fact, I'll be surprised if it finishes the season.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Then the XFL will fold in a few months...everything back to normal!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.