Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alliance of American Football 2019 Thread

vCash

Re: Alliance of American Football 2019 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    One word - Ego.

Just like a GM that is going to give Duron Carter another chance, thinking that he can get something out of him that previous ones couldn't, it's that professional and personal confidence that if you can do it better than previous, learning from their mistakes, it will work. This confidence/ego is likely necessary for success, and particularly key in a social media age where everyone gets a megaphone to tell the guy what they think of him... but it often neglects to factor in the things they can't control... such as the ability of a player to be disciplined, or the paying public's appetite for professional football beyond the NFL.

I applaud some of the things the AAF did - I maintain that this looked more like a league would if football people and players were making the decisions. Ultimately it's unfathomable how much of a burn rate they had if $70 million was gone in a matter of 4-6 weeks on top of everything else they'd spent.

I presume that the players will become free to sign elsewhere, and it will be interesting whether they hold out for NFL interest, or possibly the XFL, or if they opt for CFL even after a good chunk of the money has been spent. It will be interesting to see how bodies hold up for guys that are able to double-dip and play in both the AAF and CFL in the same calendar year. Even with the shorter season, it really will have robbed from recovery time for those guys.

Same word as above - Ego. I doubt that McMahon even blinks. He'll likely see one less competitor, and come up with a list of reasons why it failed and why he won't be subject to the same fate.

Interesting thought on the CFLPA position. I would agree that the extra demand/competition has likely been reduced, but with the XFL still likely to kick off and rumoured to be be paying more than the AAF, there's a bunch to play out yet. I would have presumed that both the CFL and CFLPA would have agreed that there was a need to raise compensation due to a competitive threat(s) in terms of attracting/retaining talent to keep the game at the level it is and continue to grow it. That may be somewhat less commonly held now. Will be interesting to see what this does coming right in the middle of bargaining.

Agreed entirely with the part on Vince McMahon. Vince will go full steam ahead with XFL 2.0, he's not the person to close up shop once he's already commited to it. The ghosts of XFL 1.0, the World Bodybuilding Federation and the WWF New York restuarant can speak to that lol.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash
    Blog Entries

Interesting opinion piece from Naylor on the demise of the AAF and the appetite for spring football in general.

https://www.tsn.ca/aaf-s-collapse-sh...ball-1.1284504
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

ProFootballTalk reporting that the XFL will not respect the three years out of high school rule that the NFL uses. XFL says it will draw it's talent pool from college football and even sign players straight out of high school.

These players will be able to sign with the XFL and make more money in one spring than the value of a five year college scholarship and eventually still get drafted by the NFL.

Could be very attractive for prospects that have family to take care of, but also they would be risking injury.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    ProFootballTalk reporting that the XFL will not respect the three years out of high school rule that the NFL uses. XFL says it will draw it's talent pool from college football and even sign players straight out of high school.

These players will be able to sign with the XFL and make more money in one spring than the value of a five year college scholarship and eventually still get drafted by the NFL.

Could be very attractive for prospects that have family to take care of, but also they would be risking injury.
    I don't know...going from high school ball to pro ball is going to get a few guys really hurt! I remember going from university to cfl and thinking the size and speed difference was night and day! Couldn't imagine coming up on some of these guys as a fresh outta high school kid!!!
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I don't know...going from high school ball to pro ball is going to get a few guys really hurt! I remember going from university to cfl and thinking the size and speed difference was night and day! Couldn't imagine coming up on some of these guys as a fresh outta high school kid!!!
    Totally agree. Not surprising though that McMahon would only see the dollar signs. Wonder if the XFL offers injury insurance ? Unfortunately there are a lot of youngsters that could be attracted to the money . Sports is a way out for many. I can't see them signing a huge group of kids, maybe just elite athletes. A policy like this is not going to make the XFL very popular on high school and college campuses.

vCash

Totally agree. Not surprising though that McMahon would only see the dollar signs. Wonder if the XFL offers injury insurance ? Unfortunately there are a lot of youngsters that could be attracted to the money . Sports is a way out for many. I can't see them signing a huge group of kids, maybe just elite athletes. A policy like this is not going to make the XFL very popular on high school and college campuses.
    I think it's more of an attraction to that 2nd or 3rd year NCAA player, who is struggling to even come close to getting his degree - and he sees the NCAA pulling in big bucks, so he's wondering why he can't get a piece of the pie right now. This isn't gonna work for everyone, but I think of a guy like Rashad Jeanty who joined the Esks at 19 after two years of ball at UCF. It certainly gives the XFL a larger pool of athletes to draw upon.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Stupid idea, just stupid.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Stupid idea, just stupid.
    Hey, it's Vince McMahon - he wouldn't jeopardize the health of his athletes all for the sake of glorifying the brand, would he?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Hey, it's Vince McMahon - he wouldn't jeopardize the health of his athletes all for the sake of glorifying the brand, would he?
    I'd ask Chris Benoit...but... Yeah...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

I just don't get how people can be smart enough to make tens of millions of dollars and then too stupid to see that it's a waste of cash to try to have a new pro football league in the USA. The USA is saturated with NFL and NCAA football. You can NOT succeed. Not possible.

Yet a fool and his money.....
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Interested to know how many EE scouts took part in the AAF combine, or scouted games. There were (are) some very good players that could help us for sure.
    I liked Karter Shult DE particularly (undersized won't make NFL without a position change... have we heard that before about productive DE in the CFL?!) and a couple of DB's too.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Bleacher Report saying AAF owner, Tom Dundon, made the decision to fold the league against the wishes of co- founders Charlie Ebersole and Bill Polion. The AAF could not reach an agreement with the NFL Player Union on the use of practice squad NFL players. Plus the league also faced hefty expenses they were not expecting.

Players in Memphis came back to their hotel to find their personal items waiting in the lobby, they were kicked out of their rooms.
    Reserve / injured players will be paying their own rehab/ medical expenses.
    The amount of money in San Antonio to venders, venue , etc. is over $4 million. Apparently lots of twitter talk about players getting shafted.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yikes, this blew up in more ways than one.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Bleacher Report saying AAF owner, Tom Dundon, made the decision to fold the league against the wishes of co- founders Charlie Ebersole and Bill Polion. The AAF could not reach an agreement with the NFL Player Union on the use of practice squad NFL players. Plus the league also faced hefty expenses they were not expecting.

Players in Memphis came back to their hotel to find their personal items waiting in the lobby, they were kicked out of their rooms.
    Reserve / injured players will be paying their own rehab/ medical expenses.
    The amount of money in San Antonio to venders, venue , etc. is over $4 million. Apparently lots of twitter talk about players getting shafted.
    It's somewhat understandable that guys that weren't writing the cheques, but had their reputations tied up in this would want to keep going.

I don't know it's fair to lay this all on Durndon, but those that have shafted players and vendors should be downright embarrassed. From what I read, the reason players found their stuff in the lobby was because the hotel hadn't been paid in nearly three weeks.

I remain convinced that this was equally about bad business practices bordering on "fake it 'til you make it" just as much as it was about the lack of a market for Spring pro football.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It's somewhat understandable that guys that weren't writing the cheques, but had their reputations tied up in this would want to keep going.

I don't know it's fair to lay this all on Durndon, but those that have shafted players and vendors should be downright embarrassed. From what I read, the reason players found their stuff in the lobby was because the hotel hadn't been paid in nearly three weeks.

I remain convinced that this was equally about bad business practices bordering on "fake it 'til you make it" just as much as it was about the lack of a market for Spring pro football.
    More than anything in this fiasco I feel sorry for Polian, yet wonder what the heck he was thinking and why he didn't just take a nice quiet retirement. Was on the staff at Montreal and Winnipeg when they won Grey Cups. Was GM in Buffalo and took them to three consecutive Super Bowls, winning none though. Won a Super Bowl with the Panthers and also with the Colts plus another Super Bowl appearance but losing in that one. Elected to the Pro football Hall of Fame.

Apparently most of Dundon's investment went to players , which is nice. He'll likely be able to write a lot of his loss off and won't need one of those " go fund me" things. The fact that no other big money jumped in to help the league just shows what an unsound venture it was to begin with. Will be interesting to see how the XFL works out. Maybe " he hate me" will make a comeback.

vCash

More than anything in this fiasco I feel sorry for Polian, yet wonder what the heck he was thinking and why he didn't just take a nice quiet retirement. Was on the staff at Montreal and Winnipeg when they won Grey Cups. Was GM in Buffalo and took them to three consecutive Super Bowls, winning none though. Won a Super Bowl with the Panthers and also with the Colts plus another Super Bowl appearance but losing in that one. Elected to the Pro football Hall of Fame.

Apparently most of Dundon's investment went to players , which is nice. He'll likely be able to write a lot of his loss off and won't need one of those " go fund me" things. The fact that no other big money jumped in to help the league just shows what an unsound venture it was to begin with. Will be interesting to see how the XFL works out. Maybe " he hate me" will make a comeback.
    went right from the XFL to the Eskimos 2001 training camp, playing a pre-season game for us before being cut. His brother is current Argo Chris Rainey as well.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    went right from the XFL to the Eskimos 2001 training camp, playing a pre-season game for us before being cut. His brother is current Argo Chris Rainey as well.
    didn't know that, thanks for the info
    #PizStrong

vCash

Hopefully this releases all the players from their obligations so that there are no further hold ups in them finding work in another league.

vCash

Dropped this into the AAF thread because Himebauch coached with San Antonio Commanders before the league folded. Jonathan Himebauch is on the move again. Has joined Mark Trestman's staff again and will be the Oline coach of Tampa Bay of the XFL. Won three Grey cups with Trestman.

Was our Oline coach in 2014 til the Argos made him their asst. head coach and line coach in 2015. During the off season Himebauch works with Nike at "The Opening Camps" across the U.S. coaching elite level high school prospects.

vCash

ESPN has a great read on the short life (and death) of the AAF

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rican-football

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    ESPN has a great read on the short life (and death) of the AAF

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rican-football
    Awesome find...sounds like a season out of Ballers.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Good riddance!

Radically Canadian!