Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I believe that there was another Naylor tweet saying that the franchise had backed off of hiring a Football Ops person while they attend to this.

Such a shame for ET.
    Returning the cart back to its proper place, behind the horse. Or would that be putting the horse's ass behind the horse's ass?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Not a bad thing in my opinion as the combine just got a little better.

The two organizations agreed to:

Include a select group of French players in the CFL’s national scouting combine in Toronto this March, an event which already promises to feature players from the German Football League as well as the top Canadian prospects from U SPORTS and the NCAA.
    Create new opportunities for Canadian players to play in France, including junior players and players who have completed their U SPORTS eligibility.
    Share resources by working to facilitate coaching exchanges and the development of officials.
    Seek a broadcast/streaming deal that would see CFL games and first division French games available to fans in France.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Catch up thoughts:
    I was just talking to my dad a couple days ago, after the announcement about the German league, the idea of Canadian players and coaches going to Europe to develop and, possibly, come home after a year or two. Like American players coming up here, really. More opportunities and connections is never a bad thing

LOVE the new Als uniforms and logo. They don't look like a cigarette box anymore and the logo is brilliant. Simple lines, but conveys the team name, city name, and I love the uniqueness of the helmet and showing the 'M' in both orientations.
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash
    Blog Entries

Now how about that CBA Mr. Globetrotter?!?!?
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    He's rounding up all the replacement players

vCash

He's rounding up all the replacement players
    So that explains the voice mail message I got this morning.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    So that explains the voice mail message I got this morning.
    I mean I offered to play again but they said something about me being "out of shape" and "too old" and "a danger to yourself and the other players on the field"...or some bullsh!t like that... Just give me one of those spiffy new helmets with all the impact sensors and I should be fine!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

I mean I offered to play again but they said something about me being "out of shape" and "too old" and "a danger to yourself and the other players on the field"...or some bullsh!t like that... Just give me one of those spiffy new helmets with all the impact sensors and I should be fine!
    They're afraid you'd upset the SMS. Me, I'd need one of those helmets, the Kiingon cloaking device and the Star Trek deflector shield and I'd still be in deep doggy dodo.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yeah pretty sure the League minimum has gone up since my days... Even then a starting Canadian WR should be a no-brainer to bring in!!

vCash

and you countered yeah but you guys did bring in Kerry Joseph and they were like yeah good point...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Dollars are getting crazy for a starting QB, wonder if Huff lets Bo go.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Dollars are getting crazy for a starting QB, wonder if Huff lets Bo go.
    Danny Austin of the Calgary Sun appeared to be suggesting that yesterday on twitter, asking if fans would be upset if Huf balked at Bo's huge price tag in the best interests of a competitive team overall. That would be interesting. He'd probably wind up in Regina

vCash

Danny Austin of the Calgary Sun appeared to be suggesting that yesterday on twitter, asking if fans would be upset if Huf balked at Bo's huge price tag in the best interests of a competitive team overall. That would be interesting. He'd probably wind up in Regina
    Huffs MO is to let other teams blow their budgets on free agents and let the next guy take over but I'm not sure the QB position is the best place to skimp.

vCash

I'd actually be curious to see how he'd do in Saskatchewan. We've long thought his high level performance has been a product of the quality of the team around him. The offense in Saskatchewan is considered to be a major weakness so it would be interesting to see his impact on the team. I'm confident he's better than Collaros or any of Sask's QBs over the last few years, but how much would he move the needle. If they suddenly became a top notch offense, BLM would, in my opinion, finally deserve all of the hype that has gone his way over the past 5 years.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I'd actually be curious to see how he'd do in Saskatchewan. We've long thought his high level performance has been a product of the quality of the team around him. The offense in Saskatchewan is considered to be a major weakness so it would be interesting to see his impact on the team. I'm confident he's better than Collaros or any of Sask's QBs over the last few years, but how much would he move the needle. If they suddenly became a top notch offense, BLM would, in my opinion, finally deserve all of the hype that has gone his way over the past 5 years.
    The stamps have boasted some of the best and most stable offensive lines over almost the last decade...it was the same arguement I made whenever somebody tried to convince me that Calvillo was better than Ricky Ray which wasn't comparable IMO since AC looked like he could have read the paper back there on quite a number of plays while RR was often running for his life...there was a reason why some people had given him the Gumby nickname...Mr. Bill would also have been appropriate.
    Last edited by adb; 02-07-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/07/c...-march-report/

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Wow. I'm surprised by this. You would think the players would have been pushing for discussions as soon as Grey Cup was done.

vCash

Argo coaching staff official and announced.

Toronto Argonauts 2019 Coaching Staff:

Head Coach, Def. Coordinator Corey Chamblin**

Offensive Coordinator, QB’s Jacques Chapdelaine**

Special Teams Coordinator Cory McDiarmid**

Wide Receivers Wendell Avery*

Running Backs Justin Poindexter*

Offensive Line Dan Dorazio**

Defensive Backs Tyron Brackenridge

Linebackers Kevin Eiben*

Defensive Line Kerry Locklin

Defensive Line Carey Bailey**

Special Teams Asst. Dave Jackson**

*Change in title from 2018 | **New additions to the staff

https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/02/07/...oaching-staff/

vCash

Two defensive line coaches?
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Ya that struck me as odd as well

vCash
    Blog Entries

Last edited by adb; 02-07-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: brain fart

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    The stamps have boasted some of the best and most stable offensive lines over almost the last decade...it was the same arguement I made whenever somebody tried to convince me that Calvillo was better than Ricky Ray which wasn't comparable IMO since AC looked like he could have read the paper back there on quite a number of plays while RR was often running for his life...there was a reason why some people had given him the Gumby nickname...Mr. Bill would also have been appropriate.
    The Stamps, like the Esks, have had the benefit of a number of receivers outplaying their contracts in recent years... guys playing on their first or second deals, without the salary that comes after their post-breakout negotiation. This has allowed the Esks and the Stamps to similarly structure their cap situation around a big-ticket QB, and with losses to the NFL and these productive guys coming up for renewal/renegotiation, it is either going to cause both the Esks and Stamps to have to move on from some, restructure in other areas, or go out and beat the bushes for new talent, in the hopes that their marquee QBs can elevate them.

Bo would have been paid similarly to Mike last year, and while the adjustment from $500k-$550k to $700k isn't inconsequential, it's likely easier to swallow with relatively lower paid backups, and it's also likely easier to adjust to than a team that was paying $300k-$400k. With the Esks specifically, KG wouldn't have come cheap as a veteran backup/insurance for the Grey Cup host run they'd hoped to make, so if we were putting maybe $750k total toward those two spots, it kind of brings into focus those that point to the Riders paying Collaros and Bridge collectively, a number that doesn't likely add up to what our cap was built around.

I can't see Calgary walking away from Bo at that number if he is, in fact, looking at CFL options. While it would take adjustments, those adjustments, to my mind, are not nearly as big as the ones you'd make going to the next tier of QB.

Wow. I'm surprised by this. You would think the players would have been pushing for discussions as soon as Grey Cup was done.
    I've been a little surprised too, but it is obviously tying into strategy, and a calculation being made on their part.

IF some of the top tier QBs stick with the concept of not signing until there is a CBA done, that would, seemingly, put a lot of pressure on some teams, which should flow up into pressure on the league. How does the EEFC, for instance, make a strong season ticket push or attract sponsorship, with the face of the franchise in flux in a post-Grey Cup host year when there is a natural drop-off, combined with a trend of declining attendance? BC needs a splash in the marketplace, likely even more so than Edmonton, particularly if they're moving on from perennial marketing centerpieces like Elimimian and Arceneaux - surely, they will be pushing for a deal to get done.

That's not to say that the players won't also be pushing for a deal and expressing that need to the CFLPA. With no off-season bonuses, even some veteran players are going to be feeling the cash flow pinch, and they're going to be wanting some stability in terms of knowing where they will be playing and that they're not missing out on some extra money on the table with the new cap not yet being done.

In labour negotiations, it's much more about the deadline than the starting point, and I'm guessing that, strategically, there is a belief that the CFLPA may hold a little more leverage if there is enough solidarity present to disrupt an immediate spate of free agent signings on Feb 12. If that doesn't come about, it's quite possible that the leverage could flip back to the CFL side, but ultimately neither side can afford a disruption or to have this drag on right up to training camps.

vCash

I'm showing my age here, , plus you likely know this but Kerry Locklin is the son of Billy Ray Locklin . One of the best pass rushers ever to play in the CFL.

vCash

Seems to me like the PA hasn't been doing a very good job of getting things sorted up to this point.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Can't believe someone hired McDiarmid after what he did here

vCash

vCash

He still hasn't signed up the DGFFL, Duchy of Grand Fenwick Football League. They are proving tough to negotiate with. They are insisting on the CFL adopting their rules which include 14 men (so even the Riders won't get flagged) 7 downs, 3 point TDs and 8 point converts. Leather helmets are mandatory. The cap will be set at 37695 Fenwickian pounds or 12 barrels of Pinot Grand Fenwick. They are also insisting on exclusive book and movie rights for "The Mouse That Punted".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    He still hasn't signed up the DGFFL, Duchy of Grand Fenwick Football League. They are proving tough to negotiate with. They are insisting on the CFL adopting their rules which include 14 men (so even the Riders won't get flagged) 7 downs, 3 point TDs and 8 point converts. Leather helmets are mandatory. The cap will be set at 37695 Fenwickian pounds or 12 barrels of Pinot Grand Fenwick. They are also insisting on exclusive book and movie rights for "The Mouse That Punted".
    Just when you thought your shot of making a roster was just about over... the Duchy of Grand Fenwick football and cultural exchange program and finishing school for young men appears. It's a sign!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Just when you thought your shot of making a roster was just about over... the Duchy of Grand Fenwick football and cultural exchange program and finishing school for young men appears. It's a sign!
    Application is already in. However being paid in bottles of Pinot Grand Fenwick is a non-starter. What do you show as the current exchange rate from Fenwickian pound to the loonie?