Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    So, Kent Austin winds up as the new co-assistant OC & QB coach for the NCAA Liberty Flames in Virginia. Former Montreal Concorde QB Turner Gill was their head coach until he stepped down in December.
    Hugh freeze is the Liberty hc, solid job for austin

vCash

Ed Philion not returning to the Riders after leaving as their Dline coach unexpectedly last year during the season iirc. Has become the D cord. of the Concordia Stingers.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Isn't that tampering. They are communicating through the media that they are going after him when he is still under contract with the Eskimos.

Essentially they are describing what an offer would look like when the Eskimos should still have an exclusive window to present offers.

Obviously, in this case everyone will be making an offer to Reilly so he should wait and see, but say he was close to signing with Edmonton then saw this, and perhaps it was more than what he saw in his offer from the Esks, they've essentially started the negotiations prior to it being legal.
    Last edited by bone; 01-11-2019 at 04:48 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Isn't that tampering. They are communicating through the media that they are going after him when he is still under contract with the Eskimos.
    That's shady as hell as they've pretty much told Reilly what they are going to pitch him. the actual numbers and specifics in that article have to come from the inside but the Riders do whatever they want.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    That's shady as hell as they've pretty much told Reilly what they are going to pitch him. the actual numbers and specifics in that article have to come from the inside but the Riders do whatever they want.
    Exactly, these "sources" have basically told Reilly that an offer north of $600K with post-career opportunities will be presented by Saskatchewan on day 1 of free agency.

In the NHL, an article like this would have teams investigated and potentially losing draft picks. In the CFL, we'll hear nothing.
    Last edited by bone; 01-11-2019 at 04:53 PM.

vCash

Well, it worked when they wanted CJ & his staff. Why not try it with Reilly?

They must have forgotten who their OC is.
    Honest question: Who is their QB coach?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I really am thinking that these limitations placed on scouting/coaching by the CFL is going to have a significant negative impact on the overall product especially with the increased competition for players from the new leagues starting up down south. Player salary caps were initially instituted as a necessity so that teams could survive and while teams are currently not all doing great financially I don't see any on the verge of bankruptcy so I really don't understand this move to limit the dollars spent on finding and developing talent. I see the potential of a steep decline in the product as a much more significant threat than out of control costs as the league needs to find ways to grow its fandom instead of turning off the fans it currently has and you do that by fielding a more talented and better prepared (and by extension entertaining) team not by booking better acts for the in stadium halftime show.
    I fear the same thing.

The AAF season, if they had pushed it back about a month, would have been worse for the CFL. Currently, player contracts in the CFL don't expire until a few weeks into the AAF season, and the CFL is taking a hard line on not releasing guys to go let them play (some players are upset with this obviously, especially when they see coaches allowed to leave for opportunities or guys getting released for NFL shots, though the latter is obviously an official deal). I wonder if next year will be different, but with the overlap, it is currently making it unlikely that players could play in both leagues in the one year without having been cut. With the 3-year contracts in the AAF, I highly doubt that they're releasing anyone that wants to leave for the CFL either. The reported biggest impact currently for CFL recruiting is the impact on the QB crop.

While I can buy into the argument that this was introduced, at least in part, to allow for more cost stability to appeal to an expansion team in the Maritimes, and potentially even a new owner in Toronto, I've heard some compelling takes that it is more of a move by some of the business side of the CFL (ie Governors) to both gain cost certainty AND hang on to more power. If GMs and HC's salaries continued to escalate the way that Chris Jones and Marc Trestman were going for a while, I could see both cost certainty and power being a concern for the business side... though I think it's largely a short-sighted mentality.

I think the execution of the concept - adding equipment guys into the cap budget, and making the limit on number of coaches and amount that can be spent a step back instead of just preventing exploding growth - are both mis-steps for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    BC had a kicker from Mexico in training camp this past year. I thought he was really good - like better than Ty Long good. Shows what I know haha. I think he was on the PR for a bit even.
    I can't find it in the transactions, but I believe I saw on Twitter that they'd re-signed him and he had a note of congrats from Ty Long. The ability to do all three as well as Long is going to be tough to fill. Strangely enough, Ty Long and Richie Leone, the two divisional all-star punters, went to high school together and are childhood friends. There are a few connections like that around the league, such as TJ Lee and Aaron Grymes.

vCash

Honest question: Who is their QB coach?
    Former NFL QB Steve Walsh. Can't remember if he's the guy that replaced Jarious Jackson, or if there was a QB coach in between.

vCash

Essentially they are describing what an offer would look like when the Eskimos should still have an exclusive window to present offers.

Obviously, in this case everyone will be making an offer to Reilly so he should wait and see, but say he was close to signing with Edmonton then saw this, and perhaps it was more than what he saw in his offer from the Esks, they've essentially started the negotiations prior to it being legal.
    I will normally defend 3 Down Nation against those that call it click-bait - after all, they're putting out CFL content year round when others are not, and it's a good source of getting at least some perspective from time to time. That, and I think that Drew Edwards is a pretty good guy - he hosted a meet and greet at the CFL week in Winnipeg last year and we got to have a drink or two. No question he's passionate about the game like most of us are.

In this case though, I think that's exactly what that article was. At worst, it's being used by the Riders to float a message... but it's a message that could easily have been communicated through back channels and connections of guys that played together in the past. There are a lot of guys on the Riders that have far less degrees of separation to Mike Reilly than they do to Kevin Bacon. At best, it's a piece that pretty much states the obvious... that a team without stability at QB and their two main guys from last year no longer under contract, being interested in the top available talent on the market.

I think there are all kinds of holes in their logic though.

1) They state that they spent $600k collectively on their top two QBs last year. Um... Edmonton's cap is structured on having spent likely around $750k on their top two guys. Even if the Riders spent $600k on Reilly (I don't believe that's enough to lure him), they're still going to have to find another $150,000 minimum for a backup QB, unless Mike is taking up both of those spots. Yes, the cap could rise to help facilitate that, but CJ has built that team by spending up on defence. While you might normally talk a few guys into taking pay cuts to bring a guy like Mike in, in a year when there is a belief that the cap rising should mean raises, I'm not sure that's as easy of a sell.

Bottom line, I think Mike can get, as much, if not more money elsewhere.

2) Mike Reilly wants to win football games, and Sask is a team on the rise. Mike also wants an offense that is going to suit him, and I'm not sure that McAdoo, while there is familiarity obviously and he is from the Milanovich/Trestman coaching tree, is going to be inspiring a huge amount of excitement that way. I believe that he's looking for a place where the team will win, but that he can also be successful within that. I don't see Sask as having a system or the offensive talent to be a huge draw... and if they are already significantly re-distributing their cap to sign Reilly, what's going to be left to upgrade the talent around him?

3) Many in the rectangle, journalists included, always draw a line between a coach and a player he's coached. That was often done with CJ and James Franklin, as if there was some spiritual bond between them. In some cases, it just couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know Mike relationship with CJ, but I don't believe it nears the one he has with Jason Maas or Ed Hervey, and I don't believe it's up there with the Dickenson/Bo Levi kind of thing that really acts as an obvious pull. While Jones does have a history of winning, his work-hard-play-hard reputation isn't necessarily going to vibe with the father of two workaholic that is going to have to find a way to strike balance between football and family more and more going forward.

4) No direct flights between Regina and Seattle. It may seem like a small thing, but for a guy whose family is tied to Seattle, travelling back and forth to the city he's in, or vice versa, with two very young children, likely plays a role.

5) Is playing for a "Rabid fan base" something that a guy wants? Are their facilities really that much different than what he has now? There are lots of great Rider fans, and I have heard from some players how much they loved playing there and felt welcomed, but we're talking about a guy that isn't going to go unrecognized anywhere, would be the face of the franchise anywhere, and, by my read, is going to be preferring some place where he can blend in a little bit when he wants to... to the degree that's possible anywhere.

This just seems like a piece aimed more at the Rider fan to get hopes up and draw some clicks to the story.

vCash

its extremely shady. But we've seen that the league turns a blind eye to Rider activity

vCash

vCash

Interesting. If Ed Hervey said that, the reporters would be calling for his head & the CFL would fine him. #facts

vCash

Interesting. If Ed Hervey said that, the reporters would be calling for his head & the CFL would fine him. #facts
    agreed, guess we'll see if Brock gets fined

vCash

agreed, guess we'll see if Brock gets fined
    ....AND since when was it optional to attend Mexico City?!?!

Wow.

vCash

....AND since when was it optional to attend Mexico City?!?!

Wow.
    He will get fined...

vCash

Mixed thoughts here. On one hand I don’t like that they are just dismissing this outright. Indicates philosophy of scouting isn’t to look under every stone, just the stones they think are most likely to find players. That’s concerning.

On the other hand, they are right. What are the odds that any of these players are significantly better than the thousands of US trained players just looking for jobs. Not likely.

I think if the CFL is serious about trying to get Mexican players into the league, they may want to consider allowing a couple Mexican players to fill a couple of the National roster spots. Then I could see some real value to widening that limited talent pool.

vCash

I believe that the Esks will be sending someone... just not their HC or GM. This will comply with the league mandate.

I also believe Brock will be, and should be fined. While I agree 100% with his comments, this does undermine something the league is working on as a larger product. I also agree that if it had been Hervey that said something similar, that the league would likely come down harder on him. People earn reputations about putting football ops ahead of business side, and that can colour their future comments. I do wonder if this statement will change opinions of any of those who have coloured Sunderland as a 'yes-nan' to the corporate side of things. His statements make it pretty clear that he's not committing to something he sees as an unproductive exercise when it comes to making his football team better.

I am still left wondering whether the league is primarily trying to grow the talent pool, or if their primary goal is to grow international viewership and thus future revenue streams.

The CFL wouldn't be able to adjust/exempt Mexican players from the ratio (I believe) without the agreement of the CFLPA. It would require giving them something pretty big to sell out around 30 jobs of current Cdn members (2 roster spots x 9 teams + the likelihood of having to have at least one reserve guy on PR).
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 01-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.

vCash

Mixed thoughts here. On one hand I don’t like that they are just dismissing this outright. Indicates philosophy of scouting isn’t to look under every stone, just the stones they think are most likely to find players. That’s concerning.

On the other hand, they are right. What are the odds that any of these players are significantly better than the thousands of US trained players just looking for jobs. Not likely.

I think if the CFL is serious about trying to get Mexican players into the league, they may want to consider allowing a couple Mexican players to fill a couple of the National roster spots. Then I could see some real value to widening that limited talent pool.
    I’m pretty sure all the other GMs feel the same way, but they’re toe-ing the line because this is such a huge initiative by the league. The league makes itself look so bad when it is inconsistent & hypocritical. BS’ comments fit the definition if undermining the league. Precedent has been set that you get fined if you do that.

I still think he’s a yes man. He’s just trying to change perception a bit because he’s tired of being perceived that way.

Also, I agree with GWN’s comments that this Mexico thing is more about expanding viewership & revenue streams than anything. (I’m not sure if you actually think that, or were just posing it as a possibility, but either way, that’s what I think!)

vCash

3DownNation reporting the consensus from the coaches and GM's that went to Mexico was that of the 50 players about 6 would not look out of place in a CFL camp, another dozen could develop into camp worthy players and roughly 30 have no pro potential.

vCash

I have no idea if any players would come from Mexico but what I don't understand is WHY the Esks didn't send anyone down? The Stamps who as gross as it is to say, have been the best team in the league for awhile now, their record speaks for itself, decide to go yet the Esks think it's not worth it? Even if there is only a couple of guys that can play at the CFL level, they don't think it's important to see these guys? They ended up with the first pick. There is only so much you can see on a freaking tape. I do not get what the Esks are doing these days.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I have no idea if any players would come from Mexico but what I don't understand is WHY the Esks didn't send anyone down? The Stamps who as gross as it is to say, have been the best team in the league for awhile now, their record speaks for itself, decide to go yet the Esks think it's not worth it? Even if there is only a couple of guys that can play at the CFL level, they don't think it's important to see these guys? They ended up with the first pick. There is only so much you can see on a freaking tape. I do not get what the Esks are doing these days.
    Do you know for sure they didn't have anyone there? I was under the impression that Maas and Sunderland weren't going but they would be sending someone.

vCash

I have no idea if any players would come from Mexico but what I don't understand is WHY the Esks didn't send anyone down?
    You got a link confirming no one from Edmonton went to Mexico City? I like FACTS!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    You got a link confirming no one from Edmonton went to Mexico City? I like FACTS!
    In the below link you can see 2 different guys with Eskimo gear on were there.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/naylor-...vision~1585681

vCash

Not surprising, four kickers were taken in this first ever Mexican draft.
    We took a WR, a LB, and a DB

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/01/14/mexico...cfl-lfa-draft/

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I don't think that's going to get old any time soon... Lol.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Do you know for sure they didn't have anyone there? I was under the impression that Maas and Sunderland weren't going but they would be sending someone.
    https://nationalpost.com/sports/foot...0-a2075d75d435

There is a story saying that no one went.

I don't expect much to come from Mexico but for the cost of a plane ticket and a hotel room, shouldn't a team do their due diligence?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

CFL TO BE ON ESPN+ AND ESPN NETWORKS IN MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT

TORONTO — Every game from the Canadian Football League (CFL) will be available live to fans in the United States through a new multi-year agreement with ESPN and ESPN+ the league announced on Monday.

“It’s exciting for the CFL to continue its relationship with ESPN and expand onto ESPN+,” said CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie. “We have seen increases in interest in the U.S. market for Canadian football and we look forward to building on the momentum and captivating American audiences for seasons to come.”

A minimum of 20 games, including one Division Final and the Grey Cup, will be televised live on ESPN networks, with more than 65 regular season games available exclusively on ESPN+, the direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer & International segment and ESPN.

“ESPN+ is an exciting new platform that is letting us directly serve fans in new ways, and we’re excited that it will help us expand the way we cover the CFL,” said Burke Magnus, executive vice president, programming, ESPN. “We have a great, long-standing relationship with the CFL and look forward to bringing their dynamic league to the growing number of CFL fans in the US for years to come.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/01/14/cfl-es...ear-agreement/

vCash

https://nationalpost.com/sports/foot...0-a2075d75d435

There is a story saying that no one went.

I don't expect much to come from Mexico but for the cost of a plane ticket and a hotel room, shouldn't a team do their due diligence?
    All that says is that the top brass didn't go, if you watch the video I posted, you'll see 2 different guys with Eskimo gear on there.

vCash

FACTS Looner, FACTS!

We did send some guys Q. Maybe re-read what Looner has said. Come on man.