Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

I'll predict the Geroy Simon effect.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Gott intrigues me if he still has something left. Right birth certificate and played beside SirV for a long time. Supposed to be a great character guy too.
    I would sign Gott in a heartbeat.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'll predict the Geroy Simon effect.
    What’s that?

Goes to Saskatchewan & helps them win a Grey Cup? Couldn’t keep a straight face typing that haha.

Plays one season & retires & is then gifted a job by the Lions? Yes to the first part, but no way he’s going back to BC post-football. Honestly, I don’t even know if he’ll even last the season. He was but a figment of his better days last year before he was injured.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    What’s that?

Goes to Saskatchewan & helps them win a Grey Cup? Couldn’t keep a straight face typing that haha.

Plays one season & retires & is then gifted a job by the Lions? Yes to the first part, but no way he’s going back to BC post-football. Honestly, I don’t even know if he’ll even last the season. He was but a figment of his better days last year before he was injured.
    Agreed, I wouldn't have been excited if we had signed him, his best days are in the rear view mirror but I could be wrong
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

What’s that?

Plays one season and then retires.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

3 DownNation reporting that former Calgary free agent DB, Ciante Evans has signed with Salt Lake Stallions of the AAFL. Evans was a CFL all star in 2017 and a west Division All Star in 2018.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    3 DownNation reporting that former Calgary free agent DB, Ciante Evans has signed with Salt Lake Stallions of the AAFL. Evans was a CFL all star in 2017 and a west Division All Star in 2018.
    Dylan Wynn also signing in AAF, as did Sinkfield. Both, like Evans, would have passed up CFL offers to do so.

Somewhat curious, given that 20% of the season is now done, and presuming that first YR salary would be prorated to 80%. Obviously, these discussions would have been ongoing for at least a week or so since becoming free agents, but wonder if the more recent news about the financial stability would have caused any second thoughts.

With a $250 million injection, I presume that they will be more than fine to ride out the season and then some - I'm just surprised it came to that this quickly, and with corporate partners/owners like MGM Grand, that they had to go outside for as much as they did.

vCash

An AAF contract wouldn't prevent them from playing in the 2019 CFL season, would it? Perhaps they're planning to double dip? Or is that just too much for a year?

vCash

What’s that?

Plays one season & retires & is then gifted a job by the Riders? Stays there for a year then comes back to BC for a player personnel role. Takes that opportunity and in a matter of 3 years climbs up the ladder to be Director, Canadian Scouting and CFL Draft Coordinator.
    Fixed that for you. When Geroy rejoined BC after his 2 year hiatus to the rectangular province he took on a junior football ops position with most of his responsibilities being in the area of scouting. At the time he indicated his objective was to work his way up to be a CFL GM and perhaps team President. His role with the Riders after he retired supposedly had some scouting responsibilities although many speculated it was more a patronage appointment to pay him a second year for not playing. As for being gifted a job in BC Geroy was no more gifted a job there than Hervey was when he finished playing for the Esks. In reality the post playing careers of Hervey and Simon are quite similar. Ed just got a 7 year head start. Geroy has already proven to be a more than capable judge of talent and worthy of his current role with BC. I think he will realize his objective of being a CFL GM in the next half dozen years.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 02-19-2019 at 10:02 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Why haven’t otta re upped him?

He’s a solid centre....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Agree X50
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think this has been updated...
    via @TSN_Marsh

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Why haven’t otta re upped him?

He’s a solid centre....
    John's an Edmonton born guy, a CFLPA rep and a high character guy that is good in the room. He was an all-star as recently as 2016.

The fact of the matter though, is that it's now 2019, and he lost his starter role, and at times, even his 6th man role with Ottawa despite being heavily ingrained in their offence - crucial as a Centre.

Not sure he's at the end of the road, but with Beard entrenched as the starter, and the need to groom youth rather than pay up for veterans, I'm not seeing the fit for the Esks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    John's an Edmonton born guy, a CFLPA rep and a high character guy that is good in the room. He was an all-star as recently as 2016.

The fact of the matter though, is that it's now 2019, and he lost his starter role, and at times, even his 6th man role with Ottawa despite being heavily ingrained in their offence - crucial as a Centre.

Not sure he's at the end of the road, but with Beard entrenched as the starter, and the need to groom youth rather than pay up for veterans, I'm not seeing the fit for the Esks.
    How old is he gwn? Would it be worth bringing him in over Sorensen??

vCash

Gott is 33, 16 months older than Sorensen.

vCash

Sorenson won't be back.

Possibly at the end of the line.

Back isn't what it once was.

vCash

Sorenson won't be back.

Who does everyone expect to fill in as our back up Centre? Who gets second team reps there this training camp?

I'm thinking - Jacob Ruby. He was listed there a couple times at the start of 2018. An as our 6th Oline man he will need to play all positions.
    Other possibility- Roy? I believe he was hyped after the draft as being able to play all positions on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Who does everyone expect to fill in as our back up Centre? Who gets second team reps there this training camp?

I'm thinking - Jacob Ruby. He was listed there a couple times at the start of 2018. An as our 6th Oline man he will need to play all positions.
    Other possibility- Roy? I believe he was hyped after the draft as being able to play all positions on the line.
    I think they’re looking at Spooner as a Center as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Gott is 33, 16 months older than Sorensen.
    It’s kinda old... prob not a good pick up.. shame

- - - Updated - - -

Sorenson won't be back.

I knew we were done with Sorensen after the way he didn’t play towards the end of last year plus he was well over 30..

Didn’t know he had back issues

vCash

Roy most likely, IMO. With his stature center is likely his best fit
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Fixed that for you. When Geroy rejoined BC after his 2 year hiatus to the rectangular province he took on a junior football ops position with most of his responsibilities being in the area of scouting. At the time he indicated his objective was to work his way up to be a CFL GM and perhaps team President. His role with the Riders after he retired supposedly had some scouting responsibilities although many speculated it was more a patronage appointment to pay him a second year for not playing. As for being gifted a job in BC Geroy was no more gifted a job there than Hervey was when he finished playing for the Esks. In reality the post playing careers of Hervey and Simon are quite similar. Ed just got a 7 year head start. Geroy has already proven to be a more than capable judge of talent and worthy of his current role with BC. I think he will realize his objective of being a CFL GM in the next half dozen years.
    We can definitely agree to disagree about Geroy in general AND about the gifting part.

Sure, he might become a GM in the next few years. Who would hire him? Montréal to replace Kavis? Hmph. The Schooners because they don’t know any better? (cw: Tillman) Guess we’ll see.

vCash

We can definitely agree to disagree about Geroy in general AND about the gifting part.

Sure, he might become a GM in the next few years. Who would hire him? Montréal to replace Kavis? Hmph. The Schooners because they don’t know any better? (cw: Tillman) Guess we’ll see.
    Are you at liberty to explain why you don't have confidence in Gerry's progression?

As for where he may end up taking that step, it could be any of the 9 (10) teams based on the concept that, like coaches, GMs are hired to be fired. It isn't inconceivable to think that half the league's GMs will be turned over in the next 5-7 years.

I don't have any direct knowledge of Geroy's ability or how he came into the role and has stayed there. Having survived the transition to the Hervey era, I would presume that there is some confidence in him or that he is otherwise protected in the organization - another similarity to Harvey's early career where he would have been perceived to be a threat).

vCash

Sask has signed RB Kienan Lafrance (just in case there's a lot of snow for our two games against them in weeks 20 and 21 )

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Sask has signed RB Kienan Lafrance (just in case there's a lot of snow for our two games against them in weeks 20 and 21 )
    speaking of snow did you know it snowed in Vegas today?
    This piece of trivial information brought to you by Darren and you're welcome
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Still don't know where you get the gifting idea. BC reached out to Geroy because they had a vacancy in their football ops when Kelly Bates who was their Draft Coordinator left to take on the HC job at SFU. In January of 2015 Simon and Neil McEvoy happened to both be in Alabama scouting the Senior Bowl, Geroy for the Riders and Neil for BC. Over a beer McEvoy asked Simon if he might be interested in returning to the Lions given they had a vacancy. A few phone calls and 3 weeks later Geroy left the Riders to take on a position with BC. Would it make sense to lure a guy away from another organization just to "gift" him a job?

As for where he might become GM? Who knows. Maybe things will settle back into a semblance of GM stability and new opportunities will be scarce. I suggested in the next half dozen years. A lot can change in that period of time. Of the 9 incumbent GMs only John Hufnagel and Marcel Desjardins were in place 6 years ago and Desjardins had been on the job for less than a month. 7 other teams have made a change and there could be a new team by 2025.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/g...252/story.html

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-22-2019 at 12:21 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

No surprises there. I thought the additions of Reilly and Chungh would put Elimimian's spot in jeopardy. BC has a bit of a log jam on the OL in terms of NAT OL talent. Foucault is one of 7 vying for what likely amounts to 4 starting jobs. Chungh and Steward tie up the two guard spots leaving Foucault, Knevel, Vaillancourt, Godber and Peirson to battle for the starting C and RT spots...…..assuming they go to 4 NAT starters.

vCash

No surprises there. I thought the additions of Reilly and Chungh would put Elimimian's spot in jeopardy. BC has a bit of a log jam on the OL in terms of NAT OL talent. Foucault is one of 7 vying for what likely amounts to 4 starting jobs. Chungh and Steward tie up the two guard spots leaving Foucault, Knevel, Vaillancourt, Godber and Peirson to battle for the starting C and RT spots...…..assuming they go to 4 NAT starters.
    What are your thoughts on Husband? Are they gonna look at bringing him back or is he not an option anymore?
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    What are your thoughts on Husband? Are they gonna look at bringing him back or is he not an option anymore?
    I like Husband. He's been very steady ever since he moved over into the center spot. I don't know if they are thinking about bringing him back. I don't know where he is on his injury recovery or if that is a factor. It was a broken fibia so I'd think he should have healed by now. I've been thinking since the end of the season that the kids, Godber (3 starts at C before getting hurt himself) and Peirson (5 starts at C), both acquitted themselves well enough that if they needed to carve some salary then Husband was one of the most likely victims. They took Godber 3rd overall in last year's draft. Peirson, a Kingston product who played at Div II Gannon University, was signed as an undrafted FA. Both are 24, 7 years younger than Husband. Then there's 2016 5th overall draft pick Charles Vaillancourt who missed last season after requiring corrective surgery on his wrist as a previous surgery did not work out. In 2017 Vaillancourt was next man up had Husband suffered an injury. He's only 26 and a third candidate for the starting center job.

Too bad though if he's done as a Lion because Husband is great in the community. He and Lulay have run a football camp for kids. He's also an active member in the East Indian community.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=274352673391076