Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1185

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Capicotti another notable release here...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

Capicotti another notable release here...
    I wonder if Cappi earned a fair chunk more than the average Cdn Dlineman. Plus a new DC in Hammy this year with Washington and Dline coach from the Lions also. Cappi did a good job here .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I wonder if Cappi earned a fair chunk more than the average Cdn Dlineman. Plus a new DC in Hammy this year with Washington and Dline coach from the Lions also. Cappi did a good job here .
    Familiarity with Lolley; maybe he comes back home?

vCash

We need someone Canadian behind Boateng especially if our draft pick winds up in the NFL for any length of time.
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

I like Alex Green...if the price is right I'd take a flier on him.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Curious about his release - he signed a contract extension at the end of January this year. I guess they couldn't make the numbers work???
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Curious about his release - he signed a contract extension at the end of January this year. I guess they couldn't make the numbers work???
    Making room for Solly on defence perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

Good job Hoover lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    We need someone Canadian behind Boateng especially if our draft pick winds up in the NFL for any length of time.
    The challenge with Cdn veterans that can start is that they typically get paid that way. With the ticats having Laurent and Westerman (free agency contract from Als last off-season), as well as Adrian Tracey and FA Ja'Gared Davis, it's understandable that they have a lot of cap space committed to the D-line. With former draft pick McGough possibly ready for a bigger role at a smaller price, the writing was seemingly on the wall. As with Elimimian, you kind of hope for better treatment of a good, solid veteran player than getting released a few weeks before camp, ( one of the circumstances listed have changed over the past 6 weeks) but he should find opportunities, albeit at likely a lower salary. Don't know if it would be enough lower to fit into our cap situation - we may be going cheap for depth with Mackie's rookie deal.

Green is 31 - not necessarily too far gone, but a tenuous age for RBs. With Gable as the presumed workhorse and Jordan Robinson and Shaq Cooper returning for yr two, I can't see Green being on our radar. I am still a little surprised that Ham wouldn't have brought him to camp, as he was productive when healthy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Worth noting that every QB mentioned is a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame - those guys could lose a step or a little arm-strength and still be elite at their craft.

Trevor is a 'body is a temple' guy in terms of his prep - but we'll have to hope that our pass protection is better than in recent years, as few have been proven to stand up to the punishment Reilly took - albeit, sometimes brought on by holding the ball too long knowing he could stand in to try and make a play.

I agree that we need to be looking to identify and groom a successor, but that is so much more easily said than done. With the exception of Masoli in Hamilton, and arguably Mitchell in Calgary (fast tracked), when was the last time it was done in the CFL? Seems that the 'next one' is almost always presented with opportunities elsewhere before the grooming team is ready to hand over the reigns, or that a team invests years into a guy who doesn't prove ready for the spotlight. It's much more likely that someone else will be grooming Harris' heir apparent, and we may be grooming their guy.
    I agree.... itís gonna be hard to keep qbs around when they all wanna start after a certain time,.. but we need to start to groom again..

Nichols
    Masoli
    Frank the tank

All eskimo blood line..

I know we have a rich history of grooming qbs and we still do..

With keeping OíBrien and kg around last year we now need to get a couple of young guys to stick on the pr if possible and bring em through..

vCash

It's just the cost of doing business. It's not like you can just leave those slots blank. And we've benefitted as much as other teams from young QB's being groomed elsewhere, Mike Reilly for instance.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    It's just the cost of doing business. It's not like you can just leave those slots blank. And we've benefitted as much as other teams from young QB's being groomed elsewhere, Mike Reilly for instance.
    Going back to our 05 win.. mike is the only qb we have benefited from whom someone else groomed and even then he was about 30 years old when we got him ....

I agree with your point mate..

I guess I’m saying. I’d like to see us have at least 1 Qb on the roster for the next 3 years to learn and develop.. ( like we did with franklin ) even at 3 or on the pr.. we gotta invest in our future.. as I don’t see anyone out there with a stable of back ups we can cherry pick from ..

As of right now, Danny O is our back up and that is not a thought that fills me full of confidence! Lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Going back to our 05 win.. mike is the only qb we have benefited from whom someone else groomed and even then he was about 30 years old when we got him ....

I guess I’m saying. I’d like to see us have at least 1 Qb on the roster for the next 3 years to learn and develop.. ( like we did with franklin ) even at 3 or on the pr.. we gotta invest in our future.. as I don’t see anyone out there with a stable of back ups we can cherry pick from ..

As of right now, Danny O is our back up and that is not a thought that fills me full of confidence! Lol
    I agree that we should always have a guy grooming, even if it is on the IR/PR, as we've done with Kline for the past few years.

This off-season, more than any other in quite some time, we had the QB plan fractured and we're able to address it well. Trevor has plans to play another 5 years, but we know that things don't always go according to plan. It is probable that our future starting QB hasn't even signed a CFL contract yet, but certain that we're putting resources into finding guys to grow.

There is likely lots of QB talent around the league that we just haven't seen on display yet. BC is high in Ricky Lloyd, Ottawa has faith in Dom Davis, Hamilton has a lot of praise for Dane Evans, Wpg's got Chris Streveler, and Montreal has a couple of young guys in Shiltz and Pipkin that have promise. Other than Pipkin and Streveler, we haven't seen any of them in live action.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

I guess Iím saying. Iíd like to see us have at least 1 Qb on the roster for the next 3 years to learn and develop.. ( like we did with franklin ) even at 3 or on the pr.. we gotta invest in our future.. as I donít see anyone out there with a stable of back ups we can cherry pick from ..

Someone is going to benefit from a Winnipeg decision that will have be made on Nicholls versus Streveler within the next year or two.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Someone is going to benefit from a Winnipeg decision that will have be made on Nicholls versus Streveler within the next year or two.
    This will be a telling year for Streveler. He didn't get a lot of play in later on in the year. Still, when you look at his numbers, other that the first three games of the season, he was quite average. It will be interesting to see if he develops further or if defenses have just adjusted to his game and shut him down. He is no doubt, exciting to watch play. He certainly brings an aspect to the game that Matt is lacking in.
    I think Streveler becomes a free agent in 2020. If he performs this season there will definitely be discussion around Winnipeg about moving forward at the QB position. Similar to the Franklin/Reilly talk we had a couple years ago (although I think the performance gap between Streveler/Nichols is much smaller than Franklin/Reilly was).

vCash

Saskatchewan has released K Tyler Crapigna. I'm betting the Lions give him a call.

vCash
    Blog Entries

This will be a telling year for Streveler. He didn't get a lot of play in later on in the year. Still, when you look at his numbers, other that the first three games of the season, he was quite average. It will be interesting to see if he develops further or if defenses have just adjusted to his game and shut him down. He is no doubt, exciting to watch play. He certainly brings an aspect to the game that Matt is lacking in.
    I think Streveler becomes a free agent in 2020. If he performs this season there will definitely be discussion around Winnipeg about moving forward at the QB position. Similar to the Franklin/Reilly talk we had a couple years ago (although I think the performance gap between Streveler/Nichols is much smaller than Franklin/Reilly was).
    I really like his raw physical abilities reminds me a lot of Reilly in his early years in BC and with us in the first year or two. I don't think both will be on the roster once Streveler's contract is up so either way a team looking for QB help will be looking at one of these two guys as potential starters.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    The challenge with Cdn veterans that can start is that they typically get paid that way. With the ticats having Laurent and Westerman (free agency contract from Als last off-season), as well as Adrian Tracey and FA Ja'Gared Davis, it's understandable that they have a lot of cap space committed to the D-line. With former draft pick McGough possibly ready for a bigger role at a smaller price, the writing was seemingly on the wall. As with Elimimian, you kind of hope for better treatment of a good, solid veteran player than getting released a few weeks before camp, ( one of the circumstances listed have changed over the past 6 weeks) but he should find opportunities, albeit at likely a lower salary. Don't know if it would be enough lower to fit into our cap situation - we may be going cheap for depth with Mackie's rookie deal.

Green is 31 - not necessarily too far gone, but a tenuous age for RBs. With Gable as the presumed workhorse and Jordan Robinson and Shaq Cooper returning for yr two, I can't see Green being on our radar. I am still a little surprised that Ham wouldn't have brought him to camp, as he was productive when healthy.
    It is a weird situation/series of events - and just a really bad look. If you look at Edís history with similar types of releases, he has always (usually) done so earlier (long before free agency) rather than like this (a few weeks before training camp). It makes me wonder about all the details at play in this particular situation.

As for Alex Green, if I was a CFL GM, he would be expendable given his age & how much he gets paid/ wants to get paid. There are good, young, cheap(er) RBs available - dare I say a dime a dozen? - so would definitely put good chunks of my salary cap into the lines. However, on a personal level, Iím a little sad bc AG was great for fantasy points, even once he became expensive last season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    It is a weird situation/series of events - and just a really bad look. If you look at Ed’s history with similar types of releases, he has always (usually) done so earlier (long before free agency) rather than like this (a few weeks before training camp). It makes me wonder about all the details at play in this particular situation.

As for Alex Green, if I was a CFL GM, he would be expendable given his age & how much he gets paid/ wants to get paid. There are good, young, cheap(er) RBs available - dare I say a dime a dozen? - so would definitely put good chunks of my salary cap into the lines. However, on a personal level, I’m a little sad bc AG was great for fantasy points, even once he became expensive last season.
    i loves me some Ed Hervey but hr didn't have the players best interest in mind with this one. IMO this is a fall out of the Reilly contract, just surprised it took as long as it did.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    i loves me some Ed Hervey but hr didn't have the players best interest in mind with this one. IMO this is a fall out of the Reilly contract, just surprised it took as long as it did.
    Agree that this is fall out from Reilly signing.
    BUT
    he tried to (re-)restructure Solly’s contract (turned down) & then tried to trade him (obviously didn’t no takers). You don’t do those things unless you are trying to pay respect to a player’s legacy & contributions; rather, you would cut the player. Ed is far from perfect, but I take Solly/his agent’s version with a grain or two of salt.m (also is the agent for Manny & the 2 JJs).

The business of football really sucks.

vCash

He cannot throw!

vCash

REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders have announced that Dan Clark is in stable condition following a single-vehicle accident.

In a statement issued Tuesday night, the team revealed that Clark was traveling home from a community event on Tuesday afternoon when he accident occurred. Clark was taken to hospital for further assessment and is stable and alert.

The Regina native, who turns 31 in June, is set to enter his eighth CFL season. He originally joined the club in 2012, eventually becoming the Riders’ starting centre.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/07/riders...auto-accident/

vCash

hope he's OK
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    hope he's OK
    X 2. Has developed into a valuable starter for them.

vCash

vCash

CMbuk is gonna be excited
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

At least they look relatively normal

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    CMbuk is gonna be excited
    There is no change to last years uniform..

Nothing ..

Bc looks terrible... lol

vCash

It looks like some tweaking is going on with other jerseys, so perhaps the Esks are doing something we just can't see in the posted image.
    Toronto appears to be mixing a blend of Cambridge and Oxford Blues in their unis. I think their helmet logo is changing as well...

vCash

CFL.ca is presenting a series on off-season depth charts - where they discuss the makeup of rosters heading into training camp. I'll post the charts and a link to the stories for discussion. Today, it's Calgary. First think that stands out is Cory Greenwood starting at MLB.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/07/off-se...ry-stampeders/