Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1185

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

the Cardinals made a series of roster moves Friday to align their 90-man roster to accommodate the new players and sign a couple new ones.

The team cut nine players total, including former CFL wide receiver Bryant Mitchell
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    the Cardinals made a series of roster moves Friday to align their 90-man roster to accommodate the new players and sign a couple new ones.

The team cut nine players total, including former CFL wide receiver Bryant Mitchell

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post

Wow... that was quick. I guess the draft didn't help his chances. I hope Brock is on the phone right now. As much as I like the way our new receiving group is looking, I still would bring Mitchell back in a heartbeat.

At least he's got a good perspective on things.

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 05-10-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Now the fun begins... where does the loyalty lie? Esks or Hervey ?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Now the fun begins... where does the loyalty lie? Esks or Hervey ?
    Didn't he already re-sign once with the Esks post-Hervey. If so, I'd say that if he goes to BC it's because he feels its the better opportunity or because Reilly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Wow... that was quick. I guess the draft didn't help his chances. I hope Brock is on the phone right now. As much as I like the way our new receiving group is looking, I still would bring Mitchell back in a heartbeat.

At least he's got a good perspective on things.

I've followed him for a while he's a very humble man that gives all praises to God. Big fan of his
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Didn't he already re-sign once with the Esks post-Hervey. If so, I'd say that if he goes to BC it's because he feels its the better opportunity or because Reilly.
    Loyalty is one thing - ability to pay is likely going to be more important. This is a guy with family to support and has, to date in his CFL career, worked on the low end of the salary scale. Last year, he referenced "contract year" a few times, so I have every reason to believe that an extra $5k-$10k could sway an offer between one team and the next.

To a certain degree, there may be a bit of musical chairs with the Esks roster spots for WR. With Daniels and Ellingson brought in, and guys like Duke, Bryant and Brandon trying NFL options, there may only be so much room for returnees... not that they'll be short of CFL options.

I would expect Mitchell to take a little time to explore whether there is any residual NFL interests from other clubs that had previously worked him out. I have to admit, I'm a little gutted for him. Even if the roster situation was stacked against him post-draft, you want a guy like that to get a chance to compete and show what he can do.

vCash

I’d take Mitchell over Daniels and I think could even out play Ellington. Ellington got big time money in free agency 200K and was one of BS big free agency signings..... plus familiar and close ties to Harris... Regardless Mitchell would be a huge add and be 1A and 1B with Ellington. He always seemed to be the exact type of player that exemplifies being an Eskimos.

If he wants a return to CFL I’d love to have him back. Has a free agent signing ever been released before training camp? Is that possible?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I’d take Mitchell over Daniels and I think could even out play Ellington. Ellington got big time money in free agency 200K and was one of BS big free agency signings..... plus familiar and close ties to Harris... Regardless Mitchell would be a huge add and be 1A and 1B with Ellington. He always seemed to be the exact type of player that exemplifies being an Eskimos.

If he wants a return to CFL I’d love to have him back. Has a free agent signing ever been released before training camp? Is that possible?
    Happens all the time, we signed Tank Reed earlier this year and released him recently. I like Mitchel as much as anyone but there is something to be said for chemistry, which Harris and Elllingson have in spades.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

vCash

I think Mitchell will exhaust all NFL options before he considers coming back to the CFL right now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I think Mitchell will exhaust all NFL options before he considers coming back to the CFL right now.
    Yea I think your right buddy

vCash
    Blog Entries

June Jones snapped up by XFL...will be the new OC for Houston according to TSN...Condell taking over...https://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-tiger-ca...-xfl-1.1305042
    Last edited by adb; 05-13-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    June Jones snapped up by XFL...will be the new OC for Houston according to TSN...Condell taking over...https://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-tiger-ca...-xfl-1.1305042
    That could hurt the Tiger-Cats. I'm wondering what $ coaching staffs in the XFL are making? Probably enough to make it worth the uncertainty of the stability of the league.

vCash
    Blog Entries

That could hurt the Tiger-Cats. I'm wondering what $ coaching staffs in the XFL are making? Probably enough to make it worth the uncertainty of the stability of the league.
    If I'm the WBBs I might be a tad nervous as I heard that LaPo was just as POd as Elizondo was at not having the opportunity to interview for some of the HCing jobs that were available this past offseason. The Ticats were lucky they had someone available in house qualified to take over the OC spot unlike the RBs that are now forced to do it via committee.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

At least he gave them lots of time to get a replacement before training camp starts... Dick move.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Off season depth charts for Winnipeg posted - link to full story at cfl.ca below

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/10/off-se...-blue-bombers/

- - - Updated - - -

... and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/12/off-se...on-tiger-cats/

vCash

Don't know if this was mentioned previously here but June Jones donated all of his 2017 Hamilton salary to charities. $ 75,000 went to charities in Hawaii and $ 20,000 to a group in Ontario that provides opportunities for indigenous children.

vCash
    Blog Entries

3Down nation story says it s a HCing position as opposed to being the OC in Houston...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/13/j...in-xfl-report/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Do you look this stuff up or did you just rattle that off the top of your head? I have trouble remembering who was on the team LAST YEAR
    I was living in Victoria separated from the team so I soaked up everything I could back then. There WAS no esksfans.com back then after all, so I took whatever camp reports I could find.

Most everything is a combination of memory and stuff I've written down. And still so very much to learn yet.....
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Options are few for that right now with everybody having to get their rosters to 90. If there is somebody out there who was just as eager to sign him as the Cards were at the time maybe otherwise highly unlikely. With 90 man rosters set teams are most likely to take the time to see what they have in their new additions before bringing somebody else in.

vCash

... and Saskatchewan's pre-TC-DC is up

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/13/off-se...n-roughriders/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Options are few for that right now with everybody having to get their rosters to 90. If there is somebody out there who was just as eager to sign him as the Cards were at the time maybe otherwise highly unlikely. With 90 man rosters set teams are most likely to take the time to see what they have in their new additions before bringing somebody else in.
    I believe he has something in the works based on comments he's made. I believe it was 4 teams that had worked him out prior to him signing in AZ, so presumably a bit of a small number of choices, and as you say, roster space is precious. Even more so, the odds of a late addition, presumably without much, if any, of a signing bonus, making a roster is a significant long-shot. May be worthwhile, just to prove things to himself and to be able to tell his story one day of being in an NFL camp, but it's no longer just passing up a half-season of earnings on an entry level deal... starting to gamble some more significant financial stakes by pursuing it.

One thing he posted on Twitter, showing that he's still got a sense of humour that many of us came to appreciate...

My son says “Dad did you ever get in the pool in Arizona?” I said “No” he goes “why did you get cut too fast?” Man I died ������������
    It makes for an interesting question as to what sort of "reserve" do CFL teams continue to hold back in terms of salary commitments to allow for signings when guys shake free? I wonder how much it varies from team to team and whether it's more based on teams having their "own" guys trying the NFL, or more so, just knowing that there are guys with CFL pedigree that are trying?

Look at the reported deal that Solomon Elimimian signed with the Riders... a $40,000 cut from last year, when he was already playing on a discount. It demonstrates that much of the money is spent, and that many guys signing now are likely not getting as much, both due to less competition for their services and less budget remaining. It also still demonstrates that CFL clubs have reserve/contingency funds set aside to add a guy that can help them.

When a guy like Chris Ackie turns his attention back to the CFL, or when former CFL draft picks like Justin Senior are ready to sign up here, or when guys trying NFL (or AAF) options come back and are ready to sign, I'm sure there will be bidding wars for some (obviously not draft picks) and others that don't quite get what they think they're worth.

vCash

Late this evening, multiple reports confirming that Saskatchewan has signed P Jon Ryan and released P Josh Bartel.

vCash

Late this evening, multiple reports confirming that Saskatchewan has signed P Jon Ryan and released P Josh Bartel.
    For $ 100,000 according to 3DownNation. Wonder if he will do the holding for the PK'er like the NFL punters do with that salary. Can't be much more left in Ryan's leg with him being 37, the Rider fans will love this though with him being a Regina native. If Bartel is gone then I believe that is the end of the "grandfathered" Canadians.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    For $ 100,000 according to 3DownNation. Wonder if he will do the holding for the PK'er like the NFL punters do with that salary. Can't be much more left in Ryan's leg with him being 37, the Rider fans will love this though with him being a Regina native. If Bartel is gone then I believe that is the end of the "grandfathered" Canadians.
    Didn't he have pretty good numbers last year? I would think he might get a shot somewhere else.

vCash

Didn't he have pretty good numbers last year? I would think he might get a shot somewhere else.
    Was wondering that myself. Even later in the year if a K gets injured. iirc, he only does punting though. For an Aussie, he has made a good career playing the role of a Cdn.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Posted in wrong thread

vCash

Dead last in both average and net. His 40.9 ave was nearly 4 yards behind the next worst but his net was only something like 0.2 behind next worst. The 40.9 was somewhat of a surprise as he'd been 43.0 or better every other year. Don't know if that was due to a nagging injury or perhaps was asked to be more of a directional kicker to reduce returns.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Dead last in both average and net. His 40.9 ave was nearly 4 yards behind the next worst but his net was only something like 0.2 behind next worst. The 40.9 was somewhat of a surprise as he'd been 43.0 or better every other year. Don't know if that was due to a nagging injury or perhaps was asked to be more of a directional kicker to reduce returns.
    I'm sure his leg was fatigued with the amount of use it got last year.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!