Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 720 of 1185

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

  1. #691
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    373

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I like Husband. He's been very steady ever since he moved over into the center spot. I don't know if they are thinking about bringing him back. I don't know where he is on his injury recovery or if that is a factor. It was a broken fibia so I'd think he should have healed by now. I've been thinking since the end of the season that the kids, Godber (3 starts at C before getting hurt himself) and Peirson (5 starts at C), both acquitted themselves well enough that if they needed to carve some salary then Husband was one of the most likely victims. They took Godber 3rd overall in last year's draft. Peirson, a Kingston product who played at Div II Gannon University, was signed as an undrafted FA. Both are 24, 7 years younger than Husband. Then there's 2016 5th overall draft pick Charles Vaillancourt who missed last season after requiring corrective surgery on his wrist as a previous surgery did not work out. In 2017 Vaillancourt was next man up had Husband suffered an injury. He's only 26 and a third candidate for the starting center job.

    Too bad though if he's done as a Lion because Husband is great in the community. He and Lulay have run a football camp for kids. He's also an active member in the East Indian community.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=274352673391076
    Thanks for the info, he is my neighbors nephew, havent had a chance to ask him if yes heard anything
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  2. #692
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,271
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    240

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Dunk reporting Brandon Bridge to sign in Toronto.

  3. #693
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Dunk reporting Brandon Bridge to sign in Toronto.
    That makes sense. It could make Bethel-Thompson a movable part?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  4. #694
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  5. #695
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    There is some discussion coming out of the Randy Ambrosie tour that the league is considering moving playoff games this season to Saturday. I know this was a short lived experiment a number of years ago, but just wondering how everyone feels about giving it a go again. I see a few pros:
    1. It may allow easier transport home if you drove to a visiting stadium to attend a game.
    2. Could provide better TV ratings if they are not up against Sunday NFL football.
    3. Provides Grey Cup bound teams an extra day to prep/heal for the biggest game of the year.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  6. #696
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,051
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    178

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    3. Provides Grey Cup bound teams an extra day to prep/heal for the biggest game of the year.
    ...but it also gives the division semifinal teams one less day.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  7. #697
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,366
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    ...but it also gives the division semifinal teams one less day.
    Which could be alleviated by ending the season on a Saturday as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    There is some discussion coming out of the Randy Ambrosie tour that the league is considering moving playoff games this season to Saturday. I know this was a short lived experiment a number of years ago, but just wondering how everyone feels about giving it a go again. I see a few pros:
    1. It may allow easier transport home if you drove to a visiting stadium to attend a game.
    2. Could provide better TV ratings if they are not up against Sunday NFL football.
    3. Provides Grey Cup bound teams an extra day to prep/heal for the biggest game of the year.

    But that's at the price of competing against Hockey Night in Canada, not sure which is better.

  8. #698
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,422
    vCash
    225
    Rep Power
    150

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    The Grey Cup itself used to be on a Saturday in December, switching to Sunday permanently for the 1971 Grey Cup. The last time Grey Cup was in December was 1972.

    For those that have heard of the 1962 "Fog Bowl", how would they have played the last part of the game the next day if that fell on a Monday? It would be disastrous for the league (not that having to postpone for the next day wasn't bad enough).
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  9. #699
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  10. #700
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,105
    vCash
    500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Vaughn and Sears would be worth a look IMO.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  11. #701
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,271
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    240

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    There is some discussion coming out of the Randy Ambrosie tour that the league is considering moving playoff games this season to Saturday. I know this was a short lived experiment a number of years ago, but just wondering how everyone feels about giving it a go again. I see a few pros:
    1. It may allow easier transport home if you drove to a visiting stadium to attend a game.
    2. Could provide better TV ratings if they are not up against Sunday NFL football.
    3. Provides Grey Cup bound teams an extra day to prep/heal for the biggest game of the year.
    I'm typically in the traditionalist camp... though not necessarily tracing things back as far as 56 Parkies to determine those traditions, but when it comes to something like this, I'm for it. Saturdays and Sundays will each have pros and cons, but with the evidence showing a solid jump in NFL ratings in Canada last year, and a decline in CFL playoff television ratings, I'm not averse to trying some things. I agree that there is the potential to go up against HNIC potentially, and perhaps even an argument to be made that more people work Saturdays than Sundays, but I think it's worth trying out.

    I also see that the season is moving up one week for 2021, with the Grey Cup in Hamilton being played on the 3rd Sunday in November. I don't mind the shift of a week, but I'd get a little more itchy if they creep it too far along to be playing it in early November.

  12. #702
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,397
    vCash
    1928
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    There is some discussion coming out of the Randy Ambrosie tour that the league is considering moving playoff games this season to Saturday. I know this was a short lived experiment a number of years ago, but just wondering how everyone feels about giving it a go again. I see a few pros:
    1. It may allow easier transport home if you drove to a visiting stadium to attend a game.
    2. Could provide better TV ratings if they are not up against Sunday NFL football.
    3. Provides Grey Cup bound teams an extra day to prep/heal for the biggest game of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    ...but it also gives the division semifinal teams one less day.
    Usually once the NFL season starts, there seem to be less Sunday games, especially with the Saturday double & triple header format for which TSN has taken a liking. (I haven’t gone back & checked.)

    Also, last season (2018), and I think the season before as well, the season ended on a Saturday. Last year was Cgy vs BC on Nov 3rd. This upcoming season is also Cgy vs BC (Nov 2). Therefore, playoff teams would still have the full week before the division semi-final.

    I totally support moving both rounds of the division playoffs to Saturday. Long overdue.

  13. #703
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    373

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    I like the games being played on saturday, that way if you want to have a "watch party" people typically don't have to work the next day. I always found that when my team won a playoff game I was super pumped but quickly lost that buzz when I started to get myself into work mode.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  14. #704
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I like the games being played on saturday, that way if you want to have a "watch party" people typically don't have to work the next day. I always found that when my team won a playoff game I was super pumped but quickly lost that buzz when I started to get myself into work mode.
    I agree that's one of the reasons I love college football cause I can have a few and not worry about work the next day.
    In Rod we trust

  15. #705
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    203
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Vaughn and Sears would be worth a look IMO.
    Agreed.... those two players seem to me as players our new D coordinator might want. Fast and physical DB’s. I would venture to say both would be startes in our current secondary. Our secondary is one area of concern for me. Colqohoun can be a starting Ratio changing CB but injuries are a real concern. Hightower also I feel is also a quality DB but was injured for much of last season. Anthony Orange had a great season last season....hope that continues. Outside of those three we could add some quality DBs with CFL experience.

    CB - Orange And Colqohoun
    DB - Hightower and Vaughn
    S - ??? International??

  16. #706
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Ti-cats have signed Cameron Marshall.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Agreed.... those two players seem to me as players our new D coordinator might want. Fast and physical DB’s. I would venture to say both would be startes in our current secondary. Our secondary is one area of concern for me. Colqohoun can be a starting Ratio changing CB but injuries are a real concern. Hightower also I feel is also a quality DB but was injured for much of last season. Anthony Orange had a great season last season....hope that continues. Outside of those three we could add some quality DBs with CFL experience.

    CB - Orange And Colqohoun
    DB - Hightower and Vaughn
    S - ??? International??
    If we're starting Colquhon we need to have a decent back up for him cause he does have injury issues
    In Rod we trust

  17. #707
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    373

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Ti-cats have signed Cameron Marshall.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If we're starting Colquhon we need to have a decent back up for him cause he does have injury issues
    I'm thinking a new defensive scheme is going to help our backfield more than any one player can. Look at the plug and play defense Jones built and that's what I envision us looking similar to. I also have high hopes for Bealieu and Onyeka to take a step forward this year, solidifying both the safety and corner as a Canadian position.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  18. #708
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm thinking a new defensive scheme is going to help our backfield more than any one player can. Look at the plug and play defense Jones built and that's what I envision us looking similar to. I also have high hopes for Bealieu and Onyeka to take a step forward this year, solidifying both the safety and corner as a Canadian position.
    I'm not disagreeing but you still have to have the personnel to make it work you can't take out Colquon and put Larry from off the streets just saying we need to have a decent back up for that position
    In Rod we trust

  19. #709
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    203
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    I agree about having decent back up behind Colqohoun at CB. That the problem with starting a National at typically an International position.... hard to find capable backups. That being said, having an natioal start at that position is ratio-breaking and has benefits on other areas of team (3 Internationals on OL or starting 4 Internationals at WR).

    I have high hopes also for Beaulieu and Onyeka as national DBs. The issue is a massive jump from Usports too professional football. If or when Colqohoun gets hurt I don’t have confidence yet in these two playing on the corner. We all saw what happened to Hoover last season. He was picked on over and over to the point that it got embarrassing. And Hoover was higher in depth chart then the two rookies last season.

    Don’t know what the answe is... but our secondary needs some more established players. Would not mind at all if we signed Sears or Vaughn... back up to Colqohoun is the million dollar question...

    My 3 cents...

  20. #710
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    373

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I agree about having decent back up behind Colqohoun at CB. That the problem with starting a National at typically an International position.... hard to find capable backups. That being said, having an natioal start at that position is ratio-breaking and has benefits on other areas of team (3 Internationals on OL or starting 4 Internationals at WR).

    I have high hopes also for Beaulieu and Onyeka as national DBs. The issue is a massive jump from Usports too professional football. If or when Colqohoun gets hurt I don’t have confidence yet in these two playing on the corner. We all saw what happened to Hoover last season. He was picked on over and over to the point that it got embarrassing. And Hoover was higher in depth chart then the two rookies last season.

    Don’t know what the answe is... but our secondary needs some more established players. Would not mind at all if we signed Sears or Vaughn... back up to Colqohoun is the million dollar question...

    My 3 cents...
    I think you may be underestimating Onyeka's ability. He was selected 10th overall last year. This will be his second year of pro and I'm looking for him to take a step forward.

    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/27/prospe...odfrey-onyeka/

    “Godfrey’s instincts and reaction time are among the best of any defender at all three levels of the defence in this draft class,” said CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson, who projects Onyeka to go fifth overall based on his most recent mock draft. “He should not get out of the first round.”
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  21. #711
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think you may be underestimating Onyeka's ability. He was selected 10th overall last year. This will be his second year of pro and I'm looking for him to take a step forward.

    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/27/prospe...odfrey-onyeka/
    Hmmmmm
    In Rod we trust

  22. #712

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I'm not disagreeing but you still have to have the personnel to make it work you can't take out Colquon and put Larry from off the streets just saying we need to have a decent back up for that position
    What do you got against Larry form off the streets??

  23. #713
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    What do you got against Larry form off the streets??
    He knows why it involves a deck of marked cards 2 packs of marlboros and a midget hooker named Yolanda
    In Rod we trust

  24. #714
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    The Montreal Alouettes have released Johnny Manziel. Good news Saskatchewan do we have a QB for you....
    In Rod we trust

  25. #715
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    The Montreal Alouettes have released Johnny Manziel. Good news Saskatchewan do we have a QB for you....
    There were quotes from Manziel this week about how the AAF intrigued him. I guess he realized he's not good enough to be a starter in the CFL and wants to try something a little easier

    ---------
    Not sure if the AAF comment is part of this, but looking for details right now...




    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  26. #716
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,739
    vCash
    755
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Wonder what he did? Maybe negotiated a contract with an AAF team?

  27. #717
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,240
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    382

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    What the heck is going on with JM. Still two # 1 draft choices going to Hamilton. Wonder if the CFL will void those choices , hopefully.

  28. #718
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Wonder what he did? Maybe negotiated a contract with an AAF team?
    Wouldn't surprise me I can't believe anyone would have actually traded for him.....oh wait...nvm I only know 1 person that would have traded for him
    In Rod we trust

  29. #719
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,690
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    657

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Drinking issue? Trouble with the law? That perhaps is a violation of agreed terms.





    I would not be surprised if he intentionally violated specifics of his contract to get released.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-27-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  30. #720
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    When asked about his time in the CFL he stated

    "... it was not a complete waste of time, but it's a different game, different speed. I am 100% confident I will come in the AAF and dominate. I've been watching them and most of the players are scrubs"
    In Rod we trust

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •