Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1221

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It makes for an interesting question as to what sort of "reserve" do CFL teams continue to hold back in terms of salary commitments to allow for signings when guys shake free? I wonder how much it varies from team to team and whether it's more based on teams having their "own" guys trying the NFL, or more so, just knowing that there are guys with CFL pedigree that are trying?

Look at the reported deal that Solomon Elimimian signed with the Riders... a $40,000 cut from last year, when he was already playing on a discount. It demonstrates that much of the money is spent, and that many guys signing now are likely not getting as much, both due to less competition for their services and less budget remaining. It also still demonstrates that CFL clubs have reserve/contingency funds set aside to add a guy that can help them.

When a guy like Chris Ackie turns his attention back to the CFL, or when former CFL draft picks like Justin Senior are ready to sign up here, or when guys trying NFL (or AAF) options come back and are ready to sign, I'm sure there will be bidding wars for some (obviously not draft picks) and others that don't quite get what they think they're worth.
    It's a good question. I'm sure all budget a contingency number into their SMS but how big. There used to be lots of talk about the NFL airlift after their final cuts but that seems to be almost a non-factor as very few who leave the CFL for NFL in the offseason and make it to final cuts come back that same season. Most seem to roll the dice to see if a new NFL opportunity presents itself over the balance of the season or early offseason before reconsidering the CFL. That's due to a combination of the money disparity and the fact with all the byes they are now usually looking at 7 or fewer games left in the CFL season when not long ago most teams would still have a full half season. Less earning potential to leave on the table by forgoing what's left of the CFL season versus what they can make even on an NFL PR should somebody come calling. So if they do budget a contingency amount it's guys who get cut by NFL teams now who are far more likely to be ready to return. Question is how much of a contingency and does not leveraging a big chunk of that during regular CFL free agency mean a team might leave holes they could fill then just in case somebody comes free now. Bird in the hand worth two in the bush so to speak?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm sure his leg was fatigued with the amount of use it got last year.
    Good thought. Bede led with 128 punts. Bartel was 3rd in number of punts with 122 which is only 4 above his career average. But he only punts. "Sasquatch" O'Neill was 6th in number of punts with 107 but he also chalked up 84 kickoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    For $ 100,000 according to 3DownNation. Wonder if he will do the holding for the PK'er like the NFL punters do with that salary. Can't be much more left in Ryan's leg with him being 37, the Rider fans will love this though with him being a Regina native. If Bartel is gone then I believe that is the end of the "grandfathered" Canadians.
    Leone was doing all the holding for Ward last year. Hard to guess what's left in Ryan's leg. Cameron was 48 when he finally hung them up and was still cruising along at his typical 41.0 to 43.0 pace right up until that final season. One advantage for Ryan is that as an NFL punter he didn't have to punt as often as a CFL punter. He averaged 76 punts per season over 12 years which is 45 to 55 fewer per season than if he was in the CFL albeit over 2 more games.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Dead last in both average and net. His 40.9 ave was nearly 4 yards behind the next worst but his net was only something like 0.2 behind next worst. The 40.9 was somewhat of a surprise as he'd been 43.0 or better every other year. Don't know if that was due to a nagging injury or perhaps was asked to be more of a directional kicker to reduce returns.
    I think part of that was Dickenson's/Jones' strategy. We saw a similar thing happen with a lot of line drives from Grant Shaw. Still saw good distance, but I think the plan was to not give the returning team time to set up.
    I think Bartel is an okay punter. BC could probably use him at camp, but I'm sure they could find others.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Good thought. Bede led with 128 punts. Bartel was 3rd in number of punts with 122 which is only 4 above his career average. But he only punts. "Sasquatch" O'Neill was 6th in number of punts with 107 but he also chalked up 84 kickoffs.
    Surprised he is 3rd, with how putrid their offence was.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

CFL QB internship invitees...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/15/2...gram-invitees/

Was just thinking that the Canadian QBs might outnumber the American QBs at Argos TC...Bridge, O’Connor, Picton, Sequeira
    Last edited by adb; 05-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Obviously with the departure of Mike Reilly (and others), there has been lots of talk on this forum about the Lions. Here's a look at their pre-TC depth chart. Link to story follows:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/off-se...hart-bc-lions/

It looks like 3 of the 5 West teams are going National at MLB.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 05-15-2019 at 10:51 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Obviously with the departure of Mike Reilly (and others), there has been lots of talk on this forum about the Lions. Here's a look at their pre-TC depth chart. Link to story follows:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/off-se...hart-bc-lions/

It looks like 3 of the 5 West teams are going National at MLB.
    they'll be relying on some unknowns to step up and play key roles but thats part of having the highest paid player in the league...... you have less money to spend on the rest of your roster.
    #PizStrong

vCash

they'll be relying on some unknowns to step up and play key roles but thats part of having the highest paid player in the league...... you have less money to spend on the rest of your roster.
    What encourages me as much as anything is that the team has gotten much younger after last year when Hervey went crazy adding older veterans. As of last look they were down to 7 players 30 and over total and that includes their Mexican draft pick. If I recall last year Hervey signed close to a dozen who were in that range. Missing from the depth chart is a 4th QB Cole Sears. DB Davie shown as backup to TJ Lee on that chart was released to make room for Sears.

vCash

What encourages me as much as anything is that the team has gotten much younger after last year when Hervey went crazy adding older veterans. As of last look they were down to 7 players 30 and over total and that includes their Mexican draft pick. If I recall last year Hervey signed close to a dozen who were in that range. Missing from the depth chart is a 4th QB Cole Sears. DB Davie shown as backup to TJ Lee on that chart was released to make room for Sears.
    how do you feel about your CB position? Seems to be a little thin.
    #PizStrong

vCash

how do you feel about your CB position? Seems to be a little thin.
    Don't know enough about any of them other than Peters and Herd to be concerned or not. Peters was a CB at Clemson. I don't know about his EE history of he played mostly DB or played CB too. Last year it was mostly DB. Herd looked good in camp and preseason last year. He recorded 1 DT, 1 INT and 2 FF against Calgary in preseason but only got into 1 regular season game as the secondary stayed healthy all year. His size seems more suited for WIL than CB.

vCash

Don't know enough about any of them other than Peters and Herd to be concerned or not. Peters was a CB at Clemson. I don't know about his EE history of he played mostly DB or played CB too. Last year it was mostly DB. Herd looked good in camp and preseason last year. He recorded 1 DT, 1 INT and 2 FF against Calgary in preseason but only got into 1 regular season game as the secondary stayed healthy all year. His size seems more suited for WIL than CB.
    I actually really liked Peters and was disappointed we didn't resign him.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Not fully recovered from his latest injury?

vCash

CJOB reporting the Bombers are introducing a new way for fans to take in a game. A "social pass" which the team describes as a first in Canada.

With a " Jim Beam " pass fans with be able to take in the game without an assigned seat. They will be able to stand in the north endzone near the Rum Hut and the new Jim Beam Stillhouse. Wonder how many will be on their feet at games end .

The pass gives fans access to the stadium and one drink for $ 37.00 Will be sold on a game to game basis.

"

vCash
    Blog Entries

Good...albeit small...receiver on the market...https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/15/ticats...alen-saunders/

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Good...albeit small...receiver on the market...https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/15/ticats...alen-saunders/
    Torn ACL last year - big roll of the dice. I understand why the Cats let him go.

vCash

Dude can play.. has to be the injury.. I think someone will pick him up if he can recover though .. ala John white

vCash

The challenge of coming in and overlapping with a legend on his farewell tour - one foot in the win-now and one foot in the look to the future.

I presume that some of the depth charts will be very fluid. Shaq Hill, the EWU grad and 2018 Esks' TC attendee is listed atop the depth chart at one of the SB positions. Likely Ryan Phillips and TJ Lee slipping the communications team a little something to get him some hype. Was a little surprised to see Brandon Rutley atop the depth chart at RB, let alone on the roster. No knock on him but a guy coming off a season ending knee injury (though earlier last year I think).

Will be an interesting camp to play out... some significant upside and some real question marks, but I seem to recall that the games are played on the field and not on paper... big limitation to my pro aspirations.

vCash

National OL Brett Boyko signs a 3-year contract with the Lions four years after originally being drafted by BC.
    I think this one is worth the wait - he could really help out the Leo's.

vCash

National OL Brett Boyko signs a 3-year contract with the Lions four years after originally being drafted by BC.
    Dang, that's like us getting Pasztor. Wonder if Foucault walks the plank over there. He really hasn't shown much for someone that spent a couple of years in the NFL.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I presume that some of the depth charts will be very fluid. Shaq Hill, the EWU grad and 2018 Esks' TC attendee is listed atop the depth chart at one of the SB positions. Likely Ryan Phillips and TJ Lee slipping the communications team a little something to get him some hype. Was a little surprised to see Brandon Rutley atop the depth chart at RB, let alone on the roster. No knock on him but a guy coming off a season ending knee injury (though earlier last year I think).

Will be an interesting camp to play out... some significant upside and some real question marks, but I seem to recall that the games are played on the field and not on paper... big limitation to my pro aspirations.
    Marquess Wilson is the new receiver I'm keen to see. 6'4" 210 with 31 NFL games under his belt with Chicago and still only 26. Injuries became a factor for him. He attended training camps with the Jets and Eagles since last playing for da Bears in 2016.

I was also surprised re: Rutley. Between him Johnson and Sutton I would have wagered the latter two would be back before Rutley. Maybe he was willing to sign on a more SMS friendly deal than the others? His injury was early. He blew his knee at the game I attended in Ottawa in mid July. Felt bad for him. It was the first game he got to draw in for Johnson and had a nice game going with 91 yards rushing when he went down mid 4th quarter.

vCash

Dang, that's like us getting Pasztor. Wonder if Foucault walks the plank over there. He really hasn't shown much for someone that spent a couple of years in the NFL.
    Interesting. Not surprised though. He tried the AAF to buy some time in hopes one more NFL phone would ring. It could be a pivotal ratio factor. I don't know how accurate these depth charts that have been posted are versus what the coaching staff is planning but Knevel, Foucault, Boyko and Steward were all collegiate tackles. For his NFL time though Boyko always was showing as a guard on depth charts. He was also listed at G for the SD Fleet but rarely saw the field.

vCash

Interesting. Not surprised though. He tried the AAF to buy some time in hopes one more NFL phone would ring. It could be a pivotal ratio factor. I don't know how accurate these depth charts that have been posted are versus what the coaching staff is planning but Knevel, Foucault, Boyko and Steward were all collegiate tackles. For his NFL time though Boyko always was showing as a guard on depth charts. He was also listed at G for the SD Fleet but rarely saw the field.
    I remember the Esks in BC in late Oct. and Foucoult being at RG and getting beat a few times. Sometimes they play with injuries though. Thought he could be a big salary guy and that plus being drafted from the previous regime might make expendable to Ed.

vCash

I actually really liked Peters and was disappointed we didn't resign him.
    Yes when BC signed him last year I felt it was a nice under the radar signing. For the most part he was solid although at times I felt he wasn't delivering up to my expectations. I expected more but then again when it comes to DBs not being noticed can be a good thing.

vCash

I remember the Esks in BC in late Oct. and Foucoult being at RG and getting beat a few times. Sometimes they play with injuries though. Thought he could be a big salary guy and that plus being drafted from the previous regime might make expendable to Ed.
    Foucault was drafted by Montreal. BC got his rights in a trade for Olafioye when he balked at a pay cut. Overall I was satisfied with his play. He may not have won an all-star and might have had a bad game along the way but I never felt like he was hurting them.

vCash

Interested to know what his contract is. I feel like EH is playing with salary cap fire over there.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Marquess Wilson is the new receiver I'm keen to see. 6'4" 210 with 31 NFL games under his belt with Chicago and still only 26. Injuries became a factor for him. He attended training camps with the Jets and Eagles since last playing for da Bears in 2016.

I was also surprised re: Rutley. Between him Johnson and Sutton I would have wagered the latter two would be back before Rutley. Maybe he was willing to sign on a more SMS friendly deal than the others? His injury was early. He blew his knee at the game I attended in Ottawa in mid July. Felt bad for him. It was the first game he got to draw in for Johnson and had a nice game going with 91 yards rushing when he went down mid 4th quarter.
    There was no way Johnson was coming back. He did little to zero in terms of pass protection & he didn’t like to get hit so would go down early. As for Sutton, I was disappointed he couldn’t stay - my untrained eye thinks he’s better than Rutley - but no surprise given SMS limits.

vCash

CJOB reporting the Bombers are introducing a new way for fans to take in a game. A "social pass" which the team describes as a first in Canada.

With a " Jim Beam " pass fans with be able to take in the game without an assigned seat. They will be able to stand in the north endzone near the Rum Hut and the new Jim Beam Stillhouse. Wonder how many will be on their feet at games end .

The pass gives fans access to the stadium and one drink for $ 37.00 Will be sold on a game to game basis.

"
    Just FTR, Wade Miller may be a mean, myopic fool, but he knows how to get corporate sponsors.

This press announcement un-spun might look like this:

"This year, for games we think will probably sell out or come close (read: Banjo Bowl) you can buy a standing room only ticket for the same price as a cheap regular one. Since that doesn't seem fair, we'll throw in a drink ticket!"

If the sponsorship wasn't there, this wouldn't even be an announcement. It's also a bad idea for complicated reasons related to the aforementioned myopia.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Eskimos were covered on a different thread, so today, we take a look at Montreal's (some would say "lack of") depth chart

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/16/off-se...eal-alouettes/

vCash
    Blog Entries

Off season depth charts for Winnipeg posted - link to full story at cfl.ca below

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/10/off-se...-blue-bombers/

- - - Updated - - -

... and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/12/off-se...on-tiger-cats/
    John Hodge's take on the Bombers depth chart...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/16/j...-camp-preview/