Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 331 to 351 of 351

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

  1. #331
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,025
    vCash
    18745
    Rep Power
    124

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    I totally get the reasoning for judging coaches on the record/performance - it's a results based business. That said, when other football people continue to see good in the work you do and respect you, those sort of coaches will tend to land on their feet. I'm not saying that all loyalty extended to guys is 100% deserved - there are mis-reads from time to time, but it is always interesting to me to see how other football people see coaches like these.

    Make no mistake, the results on Esks' STs were not good enough, and I'm not second guessing that changes were made... I'm just saying that it doesn't mean that the coaches working on it were morons.

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Bombers release veteran linebacker Ian Wild

    The fallout from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers big signing of star linebacker Adam Bighill continued Thursday when the club released veteran linebacker Ian Wild.

    Wild played six seasons for the Bombers, recording 245 defensive tackles, 60 special teams tackles and eight sacks.

    Wild was released a week after the Bombers released veteran cornerback Chris Randle in a move to free up money for their signing of Bighill.

    Bighill was signed to a three-year contract worth a reported $775,000 earlier this week.

    Wild was a starter in 2013, 2014 and 2016, but has mostly been used a special teamer the last two seasons.

    https://winnipegsun.com/sports/footb...acker-ian-wild
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Well this certainly handcuffs the Riders...


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  5. #335
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,035
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    278

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    The Football Scoop is reporting that Turk Schonert has passed away at age sixty two. Recently coached with the Als as a consultant brought in to help QB Troy Smith and also helped with the receivers.
    Had a nine year career as an NFL QB and then was QB coach with five different NFL teams as well as OC for the Bills.

  6. #336
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,982
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Well this certainly handcuffs the Riders...


    Oh sweet justice... This makes me feel kinda funny inside, sorta like when we climbed the rope in gym!
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  7. #337
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    874
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    https://3downnation.com/2019/01/18/c...ague-revenues/

    Drew Edwards with a CBA relevant article suggesting players making only 22% of league revenues. Which may be alarming next to the other big leagues that pay 46-50% to players.

    Comments:
    1) his % is low, as he isn't including the portion of player salaries not on the cap - IR players can add in excess of a million dollars to a teams player expenses.

    2) we can spot check his figures against public statements from Edmonton and Winnipeg.
    > Edmonton paid 51% of it's revenue to "Football Operations", and more specifically 36% to "Players and Coaches" in 2017
    > Winnipeg paid 36% of it's revenue to "Football Operations" in 2017 - no breakdown by Players, but guessing using the Edmonton ratio it'd be ~26% of revenues to "Players and Coaches". Their number is a lot lower, as they have higher revenues, with extra revenue from Stadium management.

    3) Can the CFL afford to share more?
    >Over the past two years Edmonton has boasted an average profit of under a $1M. So while breaking even they could possibly share revenue at maybe 38%.
    >Over the past two years Winnipeg has lost a little bit of money (one big profit followed by a loss). They are paying for that stadium and incur huge expenses to pay down their contribution. They would have lost even more money at a higher cap.

    4) I imagine these are two of the higher revenue based franchises in the league, and they don't exactly support healthy player raises based on their finances. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver would have significantly lower revenues with their depressed gate numbers. CFL shared money (TV) only makes up 13% (WPG) and 17% (EDM) of their revenue stream - still teams dependent on the gate.
    CFL will need to grow bigger revenue bases to share (Ambroise's big plan), and/or franchises will have to scale back other areas to afford any increase that comes on a new CBA.

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,685
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Well this certainly handcuffs the Riders...


    Oye, nothing like flipping the bird to the city on your way out of town.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  9. #339
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,035
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    278

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Riders have cancelled their scheduled tryout camps except for tomorrow's. A couple of day's ago there several listed . Saying it was due to a coaching change and a new schedule for tryouts will be considered into March and April.

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Bombers release veteran linebacker Ian Wild

    The fallout from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers big signing of star linebacker Adam Bighill continued Thursday when the club released veteran linebacker Ian Wild.

    Wild played six seasons for the Bombers, recording 245 defensive tackles, 60 special teams tackles and eight sacks.

    Wild was released a week after the Bombers released veteran cornerback Chris Randle in a move to free up money for their signing of Bighill.

    Bighill was signed to a three-year contract worth a reported $775,000 earlier this week.

    Wild was a starter in 2013, 2014 and 2016, but has mostly been used a special teamer the last two seasons.

    https://winnipegsun.com/sports/footb...acker-ian-wild
    I think releasing Wild was as much a football decision as an economic decision, maybe moreso. Staying healthy has been an issue over his 6 years as he's played only 67 games while missing 41. He suited up 15 times last year matching his previous career high only accomplished back in his rookie season. In the 4 years between those bookends he missed 4 games, 12 games, 6 games and 13 games respectively. Sooner or later a team has to move on from a player they cannot rely on to be available to play. I think the Bombers had reached that point even without the Bighill deal. Similar to the King release as a pending FA it gives him a head start on landing a new gig if he wants to continue playing.

  11. #341
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  12. #342
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Riders have cancelled their scheduled tryout camps except for tomorrow's. A couple of day's ago there several listed . Saying it was due to a coaching change and a new schedule for tryouts will be considered into March and April.
    The number of camps Jones ran and the timing of them never made a lot of sense to me. The whole offseason seemed to be a never-ending Rider tryout camp under Jones. He'd run 3 or 4 in December when college seniors are still either bowl bound, writing exams or both and fringe NFLers are thinking more about getting NFL tryouts or a new NFL contract. There has to be a sweet spot in the cost/benefit rationale where a team stops getting value if they run too many. Quantity doesn't necessarily provide quality. Maybe he just wanted to spend his winters in a warmer place than Regina and do it on the club's tab?

  13. #343
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Looks like Arash made stuff up... again


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  14. #344
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,025
    vCash
    18745
    Rep Power
    124

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I think releasing Wild was as much a football decision as an economic decision, maybe moreso. Staying healthy has been an issue over his 6 years as he's played only 67 games while missing 41. He suited up 15 times last year matching his previous career high only accomplished back in his rookie season. In the 4 years between those bookends he missed 4 games, 12 games, 6 games and 13 games respectively. Sooner or later a team has to move on from a player they cannot rely on to be available to play. I think the Bombers had reached that point even without the Bighill deal. Similar to the King release as a pending FA it gives him a head start on landing a new gig if he wants to continue playing.
    I think you're right. As a veteran guy that had previous NFL gigs, he wasn't likely cheap when he returned, and if he'd been reduced to a backup and ST role for the most part, that contract becomes tougher to justify. The health would have only exacerbated that. Easier to justify with a player like Konar or Colquhoun, who are still earlier in their career, and theoretically should heal faster, (and Canadian) but it's tougher when you're at a position like that.

    Ian is a cerebral player (a financial planner in the off-season) and a leader in the room, but the re-upping of Bighill is going to tick off most of the same boxes, with some additional ones as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The number of camps Jones ran and the timing of them never made a lot of sense to me. The whole offseason seemed to be a never-ending Rider tryout camp under Jones. He'd run 3 or 4 in December when college seniors are still either bowl bound, writing exams or both and fringe NFLers are thinking more about getting NFL tryouts or a new NFL contract. There has to be a sweet spot in the cost/benefit rationale where a team stops getting value if they run too many. Quantity doesn't necessarily provide quality. Maybe he just wanted to spend his winters in a warmer place than Regina and do it on the club's tab?
    I know at least one team, historically, would use these as a chance to line the pockets of coaches/scouts putting on the camps, as the fees paid by players would largely go right into their pockets. I don't think that the practice would be as common today, as I think the camps are taken a lot more seriously than they once were, but if a guy has a relatively unlimited budget for this stuff and is happiest when he's doing these things, it isn't surprising that they'd schedule a ton of them. I would agree that they were potentially far down the curve on diminishing returns, but the sacrifices made to put them on are in the eye of the beholder (time away from family, spending the organization's money, time away from other duties, etc).

    With regard to the Riders coaching staff, whether 1-year or 2-year contracts, it will present yet another complication and potential unintended consequence of the Football Ops cap, as those contracts are guaranteed and it seems to be the belief, would count against the cap even if a guy is fired. While the cap, and the limit on bodies, will mean less overall jobs, the costliness of firing someone and having to replace them within the confines of the cap, would certainly seem to suggest that there is more job security for those with jobs.

    Interesting to compare the circumstances of the coaches and those of the players. Coaches get guaranteed contracts, health coverage, and generally, the ability to get out of their contract if a better offer comes along. The players can be cut with no more than an apple and a roadmap through the first half of the season, limited health coverage (in terms of duration), and are locked into their contracts even when other opportunities arise. Not unique to the CFL - it's more of a football thing in general.

  15. #345
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,982
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    This whole ops cap just baffles me. I can understand the need but it just seems really low to me both in salary and number of staff. Hopefully it changes next season.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  16. #346
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19





    I would hope the Eskimos would do the same if they come calling for Lolley. I honestly believe in giving your staff every opportunity to advance in the business, but based on the timing, it would just hurt your own football club too much.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  17. #347
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    14,904
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    151

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Might the same issue affect their wanting to interview Lolley?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  18. #348
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,095
    vCash
    5967
    Rep Power
    469

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Might the same issue affect their wanting to interview Lolley?
    Yeah, probably...
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; Today at 04:44 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  19. #349
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,582
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    110

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Might the same issue affect their wanting to interview Lolley?
    I'm sure the league will find a way to fine us, lose a draft pick and have to play 8 Thursday evening games at home, for not letting lolly interview..

    lol

  20. #350
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    vCash
    1428
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I'm sure the league will find a way to fine us, lose a draft pick and have to play 8 Thursday evening games at home, for not letting lolly interview..

    lol
    Wellll....they spotted the Esks one by not doing anything after Brock’s comments (which previous commissioners would say “undermined the league”), so it’s open season. Should be interesting!

  21. #351
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,380
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Brock is on record as saying that he won’t hold anyone back if they have a chance to better themselves. He said that that he was once not allowed to try to advance his own situation and it was a bad feeling that he won’t do someone else. I respect him for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •