Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Big loss for the Lions.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

I guess it explains why Olafioye was still unsigned out there.

At 31 years old, it's an early retirement by CFL OL standards.

Heck of a CFL resume that the big man built!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Love these but wonder if we would go with Smith over Betts, guess we'll probably see.
    I did not like Marshall Ferguson's mock draft at all.

I might be alone, but I was very underwhelmed with Robbie Smith. He seemed to very very limited laterally and seemed to be a one trick pony with a straight ahead speed rush only. I don't see him being very effective in the CFL other than maybe special teams. I would take a chance on Betts over Smith every day of the week.

Too many of Ferguson's choices seemed to be based on geography and what teams already have or had that is similar rather than ability or even need,

I would be extremely upset if the Esks take Smith and 3 receivers with our first 4 picks (particularly if they are not the top receivers). Let alone following that with a defensive back that has no speed and couldn't do a single rep on the bench.

This has bust draft written all over it for a crop that is supposed to be very deep.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    I did not like Marshall Ferguson's mock draft at all.

I might be alone, but I was very underwhelmed with Robbie Smith. He seemed to very very limited laterally and seemed to be a one trick pony with a straight ahead speed rush only. I don't see him being very effective in the CFL other than maybe special teams. I would take a chance on Betts over Smith every day of the week.

Too many of Ferguson's choices seemed to be based on geography and what teams already have or had that is similar rather than ability or even need,

I would be extremely upset if the Esks take Smith and 3 receivers with our first 4 picks (particularly if they are not the top receivers). Let alone following that with a defensive back that has no speed and couldn't do a single rep on the bench.

This has bust draft written all over it for a crop that is supposed to be very deep.
    Sounds like you've studied it a bit in depth. Would be interested to hear who you think the Eskimos should draft taking into account who you believe might be available when it's their turn to choose. The little bit I heard about Betts was encouraging but the NFL interest kinda scares me as I don't want anther Stefan Charles situation but perhaps if the draft is that weak maybe we take the chance. I'm thinking the safest bet might be an olineman but not sure who we should target.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Sounds like you've studied it a bit in depth. Would be interested to hear who you think the Eskimos should draft taking into account who you believe might be available when it's their turn to choose. The little bit I heard about Betts was encouraging but the NFL interest kinda scares me as I don't want anther Stefan Charles situation but perhaps if the draft is that weak maybe we take the chance. I'm thinking the safest bet might be an olineman but not sure who we should target.
    Interesting to see how the Esks approach the draft due to a few things.

1) Is there a noticeable difference in philosophy with the departure of Rob Ralph?

2) Does it tip their hand as to there level of confidence with depth of current NI talent in development specifically at Safety and O-line? If they think they still have something in Woods, Ruby, Beaulieu, Onyeka, etc, then it may shift priorities elsewhere.

3) Given that most cases have a guy two seasons away from playing on more than ST anyways, do they shy away from guys attracting NFL attention?

Needs that we have today are unlikely to be addressed by this year's draft, so it's trying to look a few years into the future. Personally, I'd rather wait a few years on a guy like Tevaun Smith, in the hopes that he's as good as projected, rather than draft a guy that will play a minor role with us for a few years before leaving for greener pastures like Behar did... but it's obviously a very inexact science.

vCash

BC Lions Centre Cody Husband also retired today. Injuries took their toll.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    BC Lions Centre Cody Husband also retired today. Injuries took their toll.
    That's my neighbors nephew, broke his leg last year.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

vCash

How much are they selling them for? (opens piggy bank)
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I guess it explains why Olafioye was still unsigned out there.

At 31 years old, it's an early retirement by CFL OL standards.

Heck of a CFL resume that the big man built!
    Not many guys come into the league as 22 year old raw rookies and proceed to earn all-star recognition for their first 7 years. I figured Jovan would be a long shot to return going back to mid last summer when he was posting on Facebook asking if anybody had a line on a place to he and his family to rent for the season. I gather he was finding it impossible to lease anything for less than a 1 year lease. That had me thinking that if he had to leave the family behind in Detroit for this past season he wouldn't do it again in 2019. Sounds like he will be Head Coach for a Detroit area high school this year.

As for 31 being early for an OL well maybe. Game is changing for them too. Where it was common for OL to keep playing into their late 30s it's now getting to where 35 is considered ancient. I looked at the BC roster this morning. David Foucault is the oldest OL fart on the BC roster and he just turned 30 5 weeks ago. Perusing CFL.ca there are only 2 OL in the league who are 34 or older; Luc Brodeur-Jourdain who just turned 36 on St. Paddy's Day and Chris Van Zeyl who is 35. There are 4 more who are 33; Philip Blake and Thadeus Coleman with the Riders and Kristian Matte and Tony Washington with Montreal. Everybody else is 32 and younger as of today.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 04-06-2019 at 01:52 PM.

vCash

I would be happy with a few guy at #3
    Betts - Defensive end (I think he will be to small for the NFL)
    Kongbo -Defensive line (His injury might keep NFL teams from signing him as he probably is not ready for mini camps)
    Irons - Running back (I think he would come up soon and can block and run)
    DesJarlais - Offensive guard (almost plug and play)
    McInnis - Receiver - If you think he would come over right away
    Mayala - Receiver - I don't think he can cut it in the NFL(not enough speed)
    Fontana - Center -If you think he would come up soon

Lenius - Dickey - Reciever. He is a wild card for me but I would not be upset if they see something in him since you don't see that fluidity in a receiver that size.

I am pretty sure you could get 1 of these guys again at 12 but I would also consider these guy at #12
    Lee - Defensive back
    Osei-Kusi - Receiver
    Julien Grant - Receiver

Would not want them to take more than 2 receivers unless they all come from the list above.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    I would be happy with a few guy at #3
    Betts - Defensive end (I think he will be to small for the NFL)
    Kongbo -Defensive line (His injury might keep NFL teams from signing him as he probably is not ready for mini camps)
    Irons - Running back (I think he would come up soon and can block and run)
    DesJarlais - Offensive guard (almost plug and play)
    McInnis - Receiver - If you think he would come over right away
    Mayala - Receiver - I don't think he can cut it in the NFL(not enough speed)
    Fontana - Center -If you think he would come up soon

Lenius - Dickey - Reciever. He is a wild card for me but I would not be upset if they see something in him since you don't see that fluidity in a receiver that size.

I am pretty sure you could get 1 of these guys again at 12 but I would also consider these guy at #12
    Lee - Defensive back
    Osei-Kusi - Receiver
    Julien Grant - Receiver

Would not want them to take more than 2 receivers unless they all come from the list above.
    I would personally add Jacob Dearborn to the list I am not sure he would be there at 12 but with Colquhoun Onyeka and Beaulieu he would be more valuable to us than others.

VERTICAL JUMP

RANK PLAYER NAME MEASURE POS SCHOOL
    1 Jacob Dearborn 42 " DB Carleton

40 times

DEARBORN, Jacob 24 DB Carleton 6' 3.1" 194 4.71 4.69

BROAD JUMP

RANK PLAYER NAME MEASURE POS SCHOOL

2 Jacob Dearborn 11′ 1.75″ DB Carleton

3-CONE

RANK PLAYER NAME TIME POS SCHOOL

5 Jacob Dearborn 7.09 DB Carleton

Short Shuttle Results

DEARBORN, Jacob 24 DB Carleton 6' 3.1" 194 4.34 4.38

This kid is a beast at 6' 3 he looks to me a perfect complement to Colqhoun although with his speed he would be a bang up safety as well.

CFL.ca Staff

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/03/13/dearbo...d-setting-day/

MONTREAL — After breaking two combine records, Carleton University defensive back Jacob Dearborn was one of five players added to the roster for the CFL National Combine presented by New Era.

Dearborn set an all-time combine record at his position on Wednesday at the Eastern Regional Combine with an 11-foot, one-inch broad jump, while his 41-inch vertical was the highest ever by a defensive back at a regional combine, setting him apart from the rest of the competition.

“I had a pretty good idea that I wanted to be around there,” Dearborn said of his impressive jumps. “I had no idea it was record-breaking, I knew those numbers were within my range so I was pushing for them. To hear that, it’s surprising, it’s exciting.”
    Last edited by danlaurin; 04-07-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

http://ticats.ca/preview-getting-you...uting-combine/

Dearborn can jump!

One of the biggest stars to emerge on the regional combine circuit was Jacob Dearborn, who will try to duplicate his afternoon in Montreal on the national stage in Toronto.

At the Eastern Regional Combine last week, the Carleton Ravens defensive back set a regional combine record for his position with a 41-inch vertical. His 11-foot-1 broad jump, meanwhile, was a CFL Combine record for defensive backs. Dearborn’s vert, by the way, was higher than Odell Beckham Jr. (38.5″), LeBron James (40″) and current NFL draft prospect DK Metcalf (40.5″)!

Plenty of stars have been born out of the regional combines, and Dearborn has the chance to become the latest with a strong performance this weekend.
    Last edited by danlaurin; 04-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Another interested party stepping up which is good news...see link below.

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-business...ttes-1.1287134
    Last edited by adb; 04-08-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Another interested party stepping up which is good news...see link below.

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-business...ttes-1.1287134
    Sounds like an intriguing option assuming they have the financial stability to own a team.

vCash

Am I the only one counting down the days now that the snow has melted until kick off? It feels like football season ended 10 years ago....
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Am I the only one counting down the days now that the snow has melted until kick off? It feels like football season ended 10 years ago....
    I'm counting down too.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

vCash

I think he really loves football he made scads of money in the NFL plus his family was well off to start with, he must just have the passion for it in his blood.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Might be in tough getting the punting job there. Peffer and Mederios can handle both punting and PK iirc.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Might be in tough getting the punting job there. Peffer and Mederios can handle both punting and PK iirc.
    It will be interesting to see what the Argos do with their kickers. INT place kicker Drew Brown went 10 for 11 in FG's at the end of the season, but even if they kept him, it would make sense to hang onto one of the two you mentioned because of their dual kicking skills. Ryan has said he grew up wanting to play for Saskatchewan, but they seem to like the job Josh Bartel is doing for them (although he really dropped off last season).
    In my opinion, the Lions might be a better option for him. Currently BC only has Anthony Alix and new INT place kicker Lane Clark on the roster.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I can definitely see the Riders wanting to snag Ryan, simply for the feel-good "Regina homecoming" angle.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

It will be interesting to see what the Argos do with their kickers. INT place kicker Drew Brown went 10 for 11 in FG's at the end of the season, but even if they kept him, it would make sense to hang onto one of the two you mentioned because of their dual kicking skills. Ryan has said he grew up wanting to play for Saskatchewan, but they seem to like the job Josh Bartel is doing for them (although he really dropped off last season).
    In my opinion, the Lions might be a better option for him. Currently BC only has Anthony Alix and new INT place kicker Lane Clark on the roster.
    Bartel, I believe, might be the last of that group that was grandfathered as national although he is an Aussie. Deemed a national on the Rider roster. Esks drafted Mederios and was found wanting here. Just shows it takes time in some cases for kickers to develop. Hirim Hijr. ( I'm not even gonna try the last name ) is another one that took awhile. That young Ottawa kicker blew that theory all to heck last year though. Might make a case for keeping more nationals on the PR to give them time to develop.

vCash

I'm the opposite. I find that the earlier Ambrosie keeps pushing training camp the less interested I am in it when it opens. Being in the BC north I'm more interested in getting out on the golf course when they finally open hopefully in a week or two and watching some MLB and Stanley Cup playoffs. Even though like the Oilers my two fave teams Red Wings and Canucks are not in them I'm still fully focused on them. When training camps used to open around June 1 Stanley Cup finals would be well underway and my initial appetite of golf and MLB was sated enough that I could start thinking about other things like CFL.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I'm the opposite. I find that the earlier Ambrosie keeps pushing training camp the less interested I am in it when it opens. Being in the BC north I'm more interested in getting out on the golf course when they finally open hopefully in a week or two and watching some MLB and Stanley Cup playoffs. Even though like the Oilers my two fave teams Red Wings and Canucks are not in them I'm still fully focused on them. When training camps used to open around June 1 Stanley Cup finals would be well underway and my initial appetite of golf and MLB was sated enough that I could start thinking about other things like CFL.
    I'm always excited to get on the golf course too....until the first six holes and I'm like really I looked forward to THIS?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Flight to Edmonton booked for the first 10 days of training camp. Yah, you could say I'm counting it down.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Flight to Edmonton booked for the first 10 days of training camp. Yah, you could say I'm counting it down.
    Love that enthusiasm
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Love that enthusiasm
    I'm led to believe that there is a countdown of a different sort on too... toward the week two visit by the Lions to Commonwealth. They won't bring/play Mike Reilly in the pre-season game, but he has, apparently been planning his wardrobe and I hear that it won't disappoint.

Really looking forward to watching the interactions of the team this year in camp. From the addition of the new coaches and seeing how they put their mark on things, to the emergence of new leaders and a group that will be gelling some "pre-fab" parts into place.

Normally, it's more about watching the physical battles to see who stands out, but this year I expect to be watching the sidelines, seeing who is putting in the extra time after practice and how the leaders are leading.

vCash

I posted this earlier, but in the wrong thread. Kudos to the Lions brass and their social media people for having a fun response to an ill informed sports guy from Boston.