Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

"No downfield passing"? And this guy's been to a game?

Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    "No downfield passing"? And this guy's been to a game?

Must've been one of those inept Argos / Riders snoozefests from a few years ago.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Interesting...he's really serious about this "global" thing. Is there enough talent at that level outside of North America to support two global players on each roster? I honestly don't know.
    Well looks like the NFL is trying to crash Ambrosie's CFL 2.0 party...now they want in on international players? Really the more I think about this the less I think it's about actually tapping this rich vein of potential players and it's more about tapping into outside of North America revenue generating markets such as foreign language TV contracts and team Jersey sales abroad.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/10/t...d-for-cfl-2-0/
    Last edited by adb; 04-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Congrats to Rob.
    Didn't he retire an Eskimo?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

CFL.CA STAFF

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced that the rule changes proposed by its Rules Committee in March – which focused on protecting quarterback safety, increasing penalties for spearing and awarding coaches with a second challenge if their first is successful – have been approved today by its Board of Governors.

“These changes will improve player health and safety and our committee is grateful to the Governors for their unanimous approval,” said Darren Hackwood, the league’s Senior Director of Officiating. “We are looking forward to putting them into effect this season.”

The ratified rule changes for 2019 include:

- Allowing the Command Centre to assist Referees with called and non-called roughing the passer penalties including instances where an obvious roughing the passer penalty was not called because a referee’s view was blocked.
    - The ability for the Command Centre to upgrade a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty to a 25-yard penalty for a direct blow to the quarterback’s head or neck with the helmet when that player has a clear view to the quarterback, and there are no mitigating circumstances such as a quarterback ducking his head.
    - Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials in calling penalties when the injury spotter has intervened in a player safety situation.
    - Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials with called and non-called roughing the kicker penalties.
    - Removing the stipulation that allows a defender to contact a kicker’s plant leg without penalty if the defender has touched the ball prior to contact.
    - Clarifying the definition of spearing to be when a player uses the top of their helmet as the primary point of contact to deliver a blow to an opponent.
    - Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.
    - Making it illegal for a defensive player to deliver a forcible blow to the long snapper while the snapper’s head is down and they are in a vulnerable position and unable to protect themselves.
    - Whistling a play dead anytime a quarterback carrying the ball gives themselves up by sliding with any part of their body. Previously, a quarterback could only “give themselves up” by sliding feet-first.
    - Coaches will be entitled to a second challenge if their first is successful, giving them a potential maximum of two per game instead of just one.
    - A 10-yard objectionable conduct penalty will be assessed for faking or embellishing contact, otherwise known as diving.
    - Spearing on any player will be upgraded to a 25-yard penalty by the Command Centre when a spear is delivered to the head or neck, the player has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances such as the player ducking into what would otherwise be legal contact.
    - If a player receives two 25-yard penalties in the same game, they will be disqualified from that game.
    - A kicked or thrown football will remain a live ball instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/10/cfl-bo...les-committee/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Congrats to Rob.
    Didn't he retire an Eskimo?
    iirc he only played a couple of games for us and was released after that season. Remember it only because he wore Kep's number here as it was the number he wore in Hammy. Hitchcock was an outstanding player , but it just irked me a bit that he got Kepley's number.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    iirc he only played a couple of games for us and was released after that season. Remember it only because he wore Kep's number here as it was the number he wore in Hammy. Hitchcock was an outstanding player , but it just irked me a bit that he got Kepley's number.
    Unless I'm mistaken the team has never officially retired any of their numbers but there are a few they never give out and I thought 42 was one of them along with 1 and for quite awhile there 12 but that changed with Jason Maas IIRC. Have they changed their tune regarding 42 similar to 12? Are there any other numbers that they don't hand out? I always wanted to see a 0 or better yet a 00 but Mandrusiak would probably never allow it.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken the team has never officially retired any of their numbers but there are a few they never give out and I thought 42 was one of them along with 1 and for quite awhile there 12 but that changed with Jason Maas IIRC. Have they changed their tune regarding 42 similar to 12? Are there any other numbers that they don't hand out? I always wanted to see a 0 or better yet a 00 but Mandrusiak would probably never allow it.
    No official retired numbers, but I've been told that as long as Dwayne M. is running the equipment side of things, you will never see another Eskimo wear #1 (Warren Moon) and #21 (Don Warrington)

vCash

I don't get the logic in a two week break at all. Hopefully somebody can explain the benefits.

I really hope this isn't what is motivating the league to stall discussions.

vCash

Well looks like the NFL is trying to crash Ambrosie's CFL 2.0 party...now they want in on international players? Really the more I think about this the less I think it's about actually tapping this rich vein of potential players and it's more about tapping into outside of North America revenue generating markets such as foreign language TV contracts and team Jersey sales abroad.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/10/t...d-for-cfl-2-0/
    Once again Drew Edwards and 3down are out to lunch. It's the other way around actually. Ambrosie is the Johnny-Come-Lately on this. The NFL started their International Player Pathway Program back in 2017. 4 players held down an 11th and exempt PR spot with each of the 4 AFC North teams last year. This year AFC East was drawn to be allocated an exempt International player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...of-2019-season

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I'm led to believe that there is a countdown of a different sort on too... toward the week two visit by the Lions to Commonwealth. They won't bring/play Mike Reilly in the pre-season game, but he has, apparently been planning his wardrobe and I hear that it won't disappoint.
    You mean like this?

fbo-cfl-lions-reilly-20190212.jpg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I'm led to believe that there is a countdown of a different sort on too... toward the week two visit by the Lions to Commonwealth. They won't bring/play Mike Reilly in the pre-season game, but he has, apparently been planning his wardrobe and I hear that it won't disappoint.

Really looking forward to watching the interactions of the team this year in camp. From the addition of the new coaches and seeing how they put their mark on things, to the emergence of new leaders and a group that will be gelling some "pre-fab" parts into place.

Normally, it's more about watching the physical battles to see who stands out, but this year I expect to be watching the sidelines, seeing who is putting in the extra time after practice and how the leaders are leading.
    I hope his outfit on the field is grass stains from multiple sacks by Mondo
    In Rod we trust

vCash

No official retired numbers, but I've been told that as long as Dwayne M. is running the equipment side of things, you will never see another Eskimo wear #1 (Warren Moon) and #21 (Don Warrington)
    12 was held for 14 years after Wilkie retired but Kerwin Bell (1995), Andre Bolduc (1997) and Kevin Mason (1999) had it before Maas did.

Hitchcock wore 42 with Kep's blessing in 2007 and Brandon Guillory switched from 41 to 42 in 2008.

65 was held back between Fennell and Kevin Lefsrud; 52 wasn't issued after Dick Suderman died the day after his only game as an Eskimo in 1972, until Taylor Inglis wore it in 2005, and 48 went without anyone wearing it after Annis Stukus in 1950-51 until Tim St. Pierre in 2008.

You're right that Dwayne won't issue 0, 00, 1 or 21 as long as he's in charge other than as a training camp body (Canadian QB mentees wear 21 at camp usually) or another special occasion, such as when they honored Larry Highbaugh and Reilly wore 0 for that game.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    If only his second-half offense was as good as his wardrobe, we'd have made the playoffs...

...too soon?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    If only his second-half offense was as good as his wardrobe, we'd have made the playoffs...

...too soon?
    Nope,
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

vCash

Wonder if that's the "higher priorities" the PA says the league is blaming as the reason for putting the CBA negotiations on hold for 2 weeks.

...too soon?
    I didn’t want to say it because I’d hate to come across as bitter, or as though I’m trashing a guy on his way out of town, but outside of the “flu game” Mike did not look like himself for much of the second half of last season. I can only speculate as to the reasons why but I do remember thinking that at the time.

vCash

U got your wish with the 0

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    12 was held for 14 years after Wilkie retired but Kerwin Bell (1995), Andre Bolduc (1997) and Kevin Mason (1999) had it before Maas did.

Hitchcock wore 42 with Kep's blessing in 2007 and Brandon Guillory switched from 41 to 42 in 2008.

65 was held back between Fennell and Kevin Lefsrud; 52 wasn't issued after Dick Suderman died the day after his only game as an Eskimo in 1972, until Taylor Inglis wore it in 2005, and 48 went without anyone wearing it after Annis Stukus in 1950-51 until Tim St. Pierre in 2008.

You're right that Dwayne won't issue 0, 00, 1 or 21 as long as he's in charge other than as a training camp body (Canadian QB mentees wear 21 at camp usually) or another special occasion, such as when they honored Larry Highbaugh and Reilly wore 0 for that game.
    You jinxed it

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Who took 0?
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

^Unamba

vCash

^Unamba
    Interesting, sure he was "1" for Hamilton last year. Don't believe " 1" is taken here yet.

vCash

Interesting, sure he was "1" for Hamilton last year. Don't believe " 1" is taken here yet.
    Dwayne has the same response when a player asks for #1:
    "Are you better than Warren Moon? No? Then choose a different number".
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Dwayne has the same response when a player asks for #1:
    "Are you better than Warren Moon? No? Then choose a different number".
    I definitely had a brain fa-t there. Old guys like me are supposed to have short term memory loss, not long term.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    #COOL

vCash

I'm actually writing an article about the number zero right now. Wonder if I should include this pic

vCash

I'm actually writing an article about the number zero right now. Wonder if I should include this pic
    are you dividing by it?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

U ain’t getting 1

No way

vCash

are you dividing by it?
    Yes, but it's taking me a little while to work it out.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Nothing will come out of it. Move on.