vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

B-b-but Rash is connected and always right

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    He hasn't even interviewed yet
    Are you gregors source??

Just saw his tweet about claybrooks and U posted that info here hours before any socials posted anything! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It's an interesting set of circumstances, and I applaud LaPo's instincts in recognizing that they aren't a fit for him. Guys only have so many chances to make that jump to HC, and if you burn them in the wrong places/situations, it's going to colour you for future consideration.

Chamblin would seem to be a more logical fit in terms of some familiarity with the inherited staff. I think he's credible enough for the football side, and marketable from the business side of things, and he represents a tie to the 2017 GC success and brings some HC success in his resume. With him, it's a question of how bad does he want it, as it would mean foregoing some other business ventures he has ongoing in the US.
    Poison chalice.
    No coach is going to want to put themselves in a situation as hc and not have full scope on staff.. knowing he has to keep prob his dc and maybe Oc.. at minimum is always a tough stay..
    U gotta be really into being a hc at any cost to take that job...

If a coach cant bring in his own staff then he’s in trouble.. because ultimately the record is still his to carry..

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Arash tweeting that Claybrooks going to be announced as the new Lions HC later this week.
    Looks like another great hire for Ed, dude knows how to pick HC’s.

EDIT: looks like I jumped the gun. I do think Claybrooks would be a good fit in BC tho.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 12-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Looks like another great hire for Ed, dude knows how to pick HC’s.

EDIT: looks like I jumped the gun. I do think Claybrooks would be a good fit in BC tho.
    I agree. Wonder what he'd do as far as coaching staff. Does Jarious warrant a second year as OC? That offense was very unimpressive.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

RE: Bo Levi Mitchell working out for the Vikings (please dismiss the use of "through" verses "threw")

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 12-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Go Bo-bo go!!!
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I agree. Wonder what he'd do as far as coaching staff. Does Jarious warrant a second year as OC? That offense was very unimpressive.
    I'm wondering if he blows up the whole staff. Maybe keeps the ST coach. Might not want any present coaches whining to Wally . BC always seems to me to be a team that usually has under achieved and EH could want to get rid of any complacity. They beat us and then lost big time to Sask. and Calgary and then went into Hamilton looking totally unprepared in the East semi- final.

Just my opinion , but Ed might not have wanted to rock the boat this year out of respect for Wally and his outstanding tenure in BC . Now the team is fully his and it might be butt kicking time over there.

vCash

vCash

Farhan Lalji

Verified account

@FarhanLaljiTSN
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Congrats to former #Eskimos WR coach @coachdj_wra who moves up in the coaching ranks as Lane Kiffin’s new WR coach with @fau_football. Good things happen to good people. Enjoy being back home coach!

vCash

Is this fallout from the cap on mgt ? There is so much fluff in the titles of CFL staff that it's tough to figure out if they really do something or are just back room boys.

vCash

Interesting that the guys who want players to take pay cuts all the time have an issue when it's their turn

vCash
    Blog Entries

Interesting that the guys who want players to take pay cuts all the time have an issue when it's their turn
    Now since he's part of management with a contract...won't they be paying his salary for the next year regardless? Wouldn't it have made sense to not renew at the end of next year and use him for his services that he's been doing for three years already.
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Now since he's part of management with a contract...won't they be paying his salary for the next year regardless? Wouldn't it have made sense to not renew at the end of next year and use him for his services that he's been doing for three years already.
    I think because he left on his own accord, he forfeits the pay and that wipes out any hit against the Ops cap.

vCash

3 Down Nation reporting that the Argos have received permission to interview Calgary QB coach, Ryan Dinwiddie for their OC job. Looks like Popp wants to pick a staff before the head coach is chosen. No wonder Lapo backed out. Maybe Popp anoints himself HC, might be a bit of a stretch though.

Interesting that the Argos are looking for an OC because Tommy Condell is still listed as their OC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Farhan Lalji

Verified account

@FarhanLaljiTSN
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Congrats to former #Eskimos WR coach @coachdj_wra who moves up in the coaching ranks as Lane Kiffin’s new WR coach with @fau_football. Good things happen to good people. Enjoy being back home coach!
    I had heard very good things about Coach McCarthy from people in the organization - nice man, good coach, high character. Was a little confused when he wasn't being brought back, as I thought he was a dark horse candidate for the OC role if they were promoting from within, but likely had this lined up. Wish him nothing but the best being back close to home and family.

I think because he left on his own accord, he forfeits the pay and that wipes out any hit against the Ops cap.
    I'm not convinced that this is a "on his own accord". It specifies that he had a contract and didn't want to take a pay-cut. That doesn't void the contract, and management contracts are typically guaranteed. My guess is that there was a settlement reached for his departure, and yes, that would/should count against the cap to my understanding.

I think there needs to be some serious revisiting of the Football Ops cap. 1) I don't believe it is reasonable to put it in without enough warning that teams can make necessary movements to comply with it within the construct of pre-existing deals. 2) It includes too broad a scope. Equipment guys and assistants are included in the football ops department, and they are effected directly. Lots of long-term guys around the league that do their jobs well and give players what they need to be successful will be hit... quietly perhaps, but know it is happening.

I am all for some semblance of salary control to keep a level playing field in terms of coaches, GMs, scouts etc and to keep things from escalating out of control. The Trestman and Jones deals rumoured to be up around $700k are nearly double what some established HCs were making not long ago. I notice though, that this was voted in by the Corporate side (Governors) and that there is no cap or control on that side of things. The Football Ops has a direct effect on the quality of talent and product, and perhaps an indirect effect on things like player safety by ensuring equipment is to the degree it needs to and proper coaching is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    3 Down Nation reporting that the Argos have received permission to interview Calgary QB coach, Ryan Dinwiddie for their OC job. Looks like Popp wants to pick a staff before the head coach is chosen. No wonder Lapo backed out. Maybe Popp anoints himself HC, might be a bit of a stretch though.

Interesting that the Argos are looking for an OC because Tommy Condell is still listed as their OC.
    Coaching contracts will typically run to the end of Dec. It is fairly rare that they go beyond one-year for most assistants, and was part of what made Jones unusual in asking for 2-year deals for his guys to show loyalty... loyalty that has generally been returned. It could be that Condell is listed but on an expiring deal.

It is surprising that they'd be reviewing assistants prior to picking a HC, but perhaps it's an indication that their HC preference has a preference/tie to Dinwiddie?

vCash

vCash

So I've seen reference elsewhere online to Rhodes being the big proponent behind the football ops cap ó obviously, if football ops everywhere had less to spend, it wouldn't be as noticeable that he is spending the money elsewhere, I guess ó but would Murphy theoretically be someone that could help the Esks? There does seem to be some lack of experience surrounding Sunderland in football ops.

vCash

The Calgary Stampeders have agreed to contract extensions with kicker Rene Paredes, punter Rob Maver and long snapper Pierre-Luc Caron through the 2019 season.

All three were pending free agents.

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/06/st...uo-extensions/

vCash

vCash

A bit of this also on 3DownNation. They also mentioned that the Als will not be renewing the contract of receiver's coach Jason Tucker. Just wondering if any teams are looking for a rec. coach.

They also announced the Als not renewing the contract of long time CFL scout Russ Lande. I was under the impression he was a top notch bird dog.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    A bit of this also on 3DownNation. They also mentioned that the Als will not be renewing the contract of receiver's coach Jason Tucker. Just wondering if any teams are looking for a rec. coach.
    Certainly Edmonton could use him. I could also see him in BC, but they'll probably have to wait until the new HC figures out the coordinators.

vCash

How can they add video guys and equipment guys in that total? That’s insane!

vCash

this coaching cap, along with AAF /XFL

what great timing.

quality of play will diminish.
    sure, even playing field when it comes to coaching $$$ across teams but... overall quality of play in CFL will decline, while parity between will stay the same?. while perhaps overall sustainability is upped a tick... so end game ends up breaking even? idk....doesnt seem good. it cant be good

vCash

this coaching cap, along with AAF /XFL

what great timing.

quality of play will diminish.
    sure, even playing field when it comes to coaching $$$ across teams but... overall quality of play in CFL will decline, while parity between will stay the same?. while perhaps overall sustainability is upped a tick... so end game ends up breaking even? idk....doesnt seem good. it cant be good
    Hey as long as Len keeps getting his raises. The guy works really hard booking washed up hip hop acts for half time shows and taking time out for all his photo ops.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    How can they add video guys and equipment guys in that total? That’s insane!
    Setting it up for some devious , sneaky stuff for sure. CFL > Crafty Football League.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    So I've seen reference elsewhere online to Rhodes being the big proponent behind the football ops cap — obviously, if football ops everywhere had less to spend, it wouldn't be as noticeable that he is spending the money elsewhere, I guess — .
    thats the rumor.... and I wouldn't put it past that little pissant to do that. So as long as that ass is here we will see a ****ty team because the president of a pro sports team wants to spend the cash on stupid ass concerts that no one gives a **** about.

What would you remember more? a half time concert or a dominating team.

HE HAS TO GO

- - - Updated - - -

Hey as long as Len keeps getting his raises. The guy works really hard booking washed up hip hop acts for half time shows and taking time out for all his photo ops.
    I hate him. I really do. he's completely ****ed this team and its fans over. **** you ketchup boy. POS

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    thats the rumor.... and I wouldn't put it past that little pissant to do that. So as long as that ass is here we will see a ****ty team because the president of a pro sports team wants to spend the cash on stupid ass concerts that no one gives a **** about.

What would you remember more? a half time concert or a dominating team.

HE HAS TO GO

- - - Updated - - -

I hate him. I really do. he's completely ****ed this team and its fans over. **** you ketchup boy. POS
    Len is very happy with the new cap as one of the reasons Ed is gone was cause he didn't want him to be paid more than he is. With this new cap he'll have a reason not to let that happen.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Len is very happy with the new cap as one of the reasons Ed is gone was cause he didn't want him to be paid more than he is. With this new cap he'll have a reason not to let that happen.
    course he is... allows him to spend more and more on no football related **** and not get called out for it.

vCash

Farhan Lalji

Verified account

@FarhanLaljiTSN
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Congrats to former #Eskimos WR coach @coachdj_wra who moves up in the coaching ranks as Lane Kiffinís new WR coach with @fau_football. Good things happen to good people. Enjoy being back home coach!
    Can I get a translation from Twitter? Who's @coachdj_wra and where's @fau_football? @WTF?
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
    Can I get a translation from Twitter? Who's @coachdj_wra and where's @fau_football? @WTF?
    DJ McCarthy and Florida Atlantic University Owls Football.