Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 806

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,727
    vCash
    17168
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Singleton will never make it in the nfl.
    Every team needs special teamers.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,345
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Every team needs special teamers.
    Bighill didn't make it and he is way better than singleton imo.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,753
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    225

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19



    Whoa mama...

  5. #215
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,056
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    100

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post


    Whoa mama...
    Think of all the tight black shirts Jones could buy with that much cheddar!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,395
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    thats really going to eat into their management Salary cap. Oh who am I kidding.. they wouldn't follow one for the players they sure as **** won't for management.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    thats really going to eat into their management Salary cap. Oh who am I kidding.. they wouldn't follow one for the players they sure as **** won't for management.
    X 2. There is no way that there will not be some hanky panky going on over there.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,957
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    X 2. There is no way that there will not be some hanky panky going on over there.
    going to have a practice management team
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,409
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    But that’s also for 3 full positions, including the 2 highest paid, being gm/hc/dc. That still leave almost 2000000 for the others.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  11. #221
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    That's interesting. Wonder if he is healthy ? Could be worth a shot at WIL if he is not as good at CB as he used to be.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,170
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    But that’s also for 3 full positions, including the 2 highest paid, being gm/hc/dc. That still leave almost 2000000 for the others.
    Absolutely.

    Likely less than what the Stamps are collectively paying Hufnagel and Dickinson.

    The cap also has a limit as to how many coaches can be on staff, so anytime you're able to have a HC also being a coordinator, it frees up space. Obviously doesn't work all the time, but in a cap era, there are benefits.

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,395
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    But that’s also for 3 full positions, including the 2 highest paid, being gm/hc/dc. That still leave almost 2000000 for the others.
    my bad... i forgot about that

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes have released veteran quarterback Drew Willy and signed new deals with three of it’s 2018 draft picks including Université Laval wide receiver Étienne Moisan, the team announced on Thursday.

    Willy joined the Alouettes in 2017 and suited up for 10 games over that span. In 2018, he completed 52 of 79 pass attempts for 566 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in four games. Before joining the Als, the 32-year-old spent time with the Saskatchewan Roughriders (2012, 2013), Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2014-2016) and Toronto Argonauts (2016). Willy was set to become a free agent in February.

    Receiver Richmond Nketiah as well as defensive back Lekab Idowu also signed new deals. All three were present at the Alouettes training camp last spring, but Moisan was a spectator as he was nurturing a lingering injury
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  15. #225
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    The Football Scoop , quoting Tony Grossi, says former Blue Bomber and long time Oline coach Bob Wylie will not be retained by the Cleveland Browns new head coach. Considered a bit of a magician by some Wylie got a lot of credit for keeping Baker Mayfield on his feet without good OT's.

  16. #226
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,147
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    The Football Scoop , quoting Tony Grossi, says former Blue Bomber and long time Oline coach Bob Wylie will not be retained by the Cleveland Browns new head coach. Considered a bit of a magician by some Wylie got a lot of credit for keeping Baker Mayfield on his feet without good OT's.
    Dang I would love to see him Coaching G&G
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

  17. #227
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,170
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Dang I would love to see him Coaching G&G
    As teams have put together their staffs, with the cap not only being how much you can spend, but how many coaches you can have, it's going to mean having to subtract in order to add guys. The Esks couldn't add Ricky Ray as a QB coach, for instance, without dropping another assistant. The Bombers would, presumably, have to let someone go if they were to make room for Wylie returning.

    I'm guessing that Bob will find opportunities south of the border this year, as it will be tough to open up a spot for him with staffs mostly set up here.

  18. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,321
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    The Football Scoop , quoting Tony Grossi, says former Blue Bomber and long time Oline coach Bob Wylie will not be retained by the Cleveland Browns new head coach. Considered a bit of a magician by some Wylie got a lot of credit for keeping Baker Mayfield on his feet without good OT's.
    There's the understatement of 2019
    In Rod we trust

  19. #229
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,079
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    As teams have put together their staffs, with the cap not only being how much you can spend, but how many coaches you can have, it's going to mean having to subtract in order to add guys. The Esks couldn't add Ricky Ray as a QB coach, for instance, without dropping another assistant. The Bombers would, presumably, have to let someone go if they were to make room for Wylie returning.

    I'm guessing that Bob will find opportunities south of the border this year, as it will be tough to open up a spot for him with staffs mostly set up here.
    I really am thinking that these limitations placed on scouting/coaching by the CFL is going to have a significant negative impact on the overall product especially with the increased competition for players from the new leagues starting up down south. Player salary caps were initially instituted as a necessity so that teams could survive and while teams are currently not all doing great financially I don't see any on the verge of bankruptcy so I really don't understand this move to limit the dollars spent on finding and developing talent. I see the potential of a steep decline in the product as a much more significant threat than out of control costs as the league needs to find ways to grow its fandom instead of turning off the fans it currently has and you do that by fielding a more talented and better prepared (and by extension entertaining) team not by booking better acts for the in stadium halftime show.
    Last edited by adb; 01-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  20. #230
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19




    It will be interesting to see the quality of player - and how many of them actually make it to main camp. Personally I think two rounds would be enough. Virtually everyone who shows up to the combine will be drafted as it is.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  21. #231
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post



    It will be interesting to see the quality of player - and how many of them actually make it to main camp. Personally I think two rounds would be enough. Virtually everyone who shows up to the combine will be drafted as it is.
    I can just see one of these players running on to Commonwealth stadium in November in a Canada Goose parka with numbers on it. You'd think if the players there were decent the NFL would have jumped in long ago. Looking at kickers might be the best choice with soccer being the game of choice down there.

  22. #232
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,957
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post



    It will be interesting to see the quality of player - and how many of them actually make it to main camp. Personally I think two rounds would be enough. Virtually everyone who shows up to the combine will be drafted as it is.
    First I've heard of this..... cool
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  23. #233
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,376
    vCash
    1928
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I can just see one of these players running on to Commonwealth stadium in November in a Canada Goose parka with numbers on it. You'd think if the players there were decent the NFL would have jumped in long ago. Looking at kickers might be the best choice with soccer being the game of choice down there.
    BC had a kicker from Mexico in training camp this past year. I thought he was really good - like better than Ty Long good. Shows what I know haha. I think he was on the PR for a bit even.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 01-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.

  24. #234
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    BC had a kicker from Mexico in training camp this past year. I thought he was really good - like better than Ty Long good. Shows what I know haha. I think he was on the PR for a bit even.
    That's interesting, Ed beat the CFL to Mexico. Noticing Long getting an NFL tryout now. The Mexican kicker wouldn't need a stick, he could just " keek" the piñata. When Trump finds out about our Mexican invasion we might get a wall also.

  25. #235
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    So, Kent Austin winds up as the new co-assistant OC & QB coach for the NCAA Liberty Flames in Virginia. Former Montreal Concorde QB Turner Gill was their head coach until he stepped down in December.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  26. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,585
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    85

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    I don't know about other positions but I could see some kickers coming out of Mexico with how much soccer they play. You watch a goalie do a goal kick or when he had it in his hands and they are hammering it to mid field or farther. So I would think the mechanics of kicking a soccer ball vs a football wouldn't be that different.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  27. #237
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,422
    vCash
    1322
    Rep Power
    563

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Mexico beat the US 33-6 in the semi's of the U-18 World (American) Football Championships last year, before losing to Canada 13-7 in the final, so there appears to be some talent on their roster. Two of the players (an OL & a kicker) played for the Regina Rams last season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  28. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,957
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't know about other positions but I could see some kickers coming out of Mexico with how much soccer they play. You watch a goalie do a goal kick or when he had it in his hands and they are hammering it to mid field or farther. So I would think the mechanics of kicking a soccer ball vs a football wouldn't be that different.
    who was the barefoot kicker that came here again? He wasn't prepared for the elements for sure hopefully these guys will be
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  29. #239
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    who was the barefoot kicker that came here again? He wasn't prepared for the elements for sure hopefully these guys will be
    I remember quite a few NFL barefoot kicker wannabees. Also some kid in Texas kicked a FG of over 60 yds barefoot can't remember if he was in college or high school. . The BC Lions had one by the name of Baker iirc, but can't really remember him being long term, and that had to be 20 yrs ago. I think the elements these southern guys will need will be the " heating element."

  30. #240
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,409
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    who was the barefoot kicker that came here again? He wasn't prepared for the elements for sure hopefully these guys will be
    I believe he was shoeless Jon Baker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •