Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Hope this finally kills all of the Reilly to the Riders talk. I didn't think he'd be going anyways, but certainly not without Jones there.
    agreed, make his a 2 horse race IMO
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Serious question. Given that we didn't make the playoffs last year would you want to sign a bunch of our own free agents or be happy that we are looking for replacements? This is not meant as a snipe, just hoping to engage in a conversation about it as I'm on the fence myself. I'm of the opinion that as a GM you should give your coach what he wants (with an eye on the cap) and as a coach you should do the same for your coordinators. If that is truly what is happening I expect a fair amount of turnover on the defensive side of the ball.
    When you as a team finish last in your division and out of the playoffs, I 100% would not want all of your free agents brought back and fully expect a fair amount of turn over. But at the same time, 36 guys represents what almost 3/4 of your roster? I have been told many times that I am WAY too negative and WAY too critical of Brock and I should wait and see. If you as a team have decided that almost 3/4 of your roster isn't worth resigning, isn't that a fairly damning statement? But I will be nice and drop it and I will wait and see what happens.

For the sake of conversation. Without a new CBA in place, I don't expect the big ticket guys like a Reilly to be resigned right now. I can also accept that maybe a guy like a Boateq who did a few NFL workouts hasn't been resigned because he would want to exhaust any chance. But what about a guy like Behar? Unless the CFL is looking to abolish the Canadian requirement which I doubt, what is holding you back from signing a Behar? If you look at the Esks roster right now on their page, they have as Canadian receivers, Adjei (free agent), Behar(free agent) Giguere (free agent and 33), Berryman. That's it. You will need some Canadian receivers on your team. You can draft a guy out of the CIS but chances are he won't be able to step in immediately and you still need several guys. Behar was a Brock draft pick 2 years ago. Even with the CBA not in place, what's he seriously going to make? He's not a full time starter and had 257 yards.

Ryan King is a free agent. He's a Canadian, good special teams guy, local guy, your long snapper. What's he seriously going to make that you can't have him resigned? He's from Edmonton, he lives here year round. You can probably sign him pretty easily with or without a CBA. He's only 32, he's got a few years left. If he doesn't get resigned, I bet he retires rather than move to a new City.

Blair Smith. A Canadian linebacker. Pretty good special teams guy. He can fill in on defense for a bit. Another guy that probably won't cost you a ton.

I have picked a few Canadians because like I said, unless the league is abolishing the Canadian requirement, you are going to need Canadian starts. It typically takes several years for drafted Canadians to develop. If you don't resign them, who are you getting to replace them? Canadian starters are hard to come by.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Go Browns?!?!?

Big loss for the Whiners. Hard to replace that kind of scheme and skillset CJ brought to the field.

As for signing FA's vs. finding replacements. I mean, out of the list of FA's not ONE has signed? Come on, that's f*cking embarrassing in my eyes. Then again, what do I know...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

And with this Jones announcement, I can now find closure on the roughrider tampering incident of Grey Cup Sunday. Will always feel it was dirty how they went about it, so I will revel in their scrambling to fill at least 3 critical roles on their team with Free Agency looming, and I can officially settle with a thank you to Chris Jones for delivering us that cup. Wish him well in the NFL as he is a great coach.

That said, be prepared for a record-breaking amount of unpunished tampering to occur across the CFL over the next 2-3 months.
    Last edited by bone; 01-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    When you as a team finish last in your division and out of the playoffs, I 100% would not want all of your free agents brought back and fully expect a fair amount of turn over. But at the same time, 36 guys represents what almost 3/4 of your roster? I have been told many times that I am WAY too negative and WAY too critical of Brock and I should wait and see. If you as a team have decided that almost 3/4 of your roster isn't worth resigning, isn't that a fairly damning statement? But I will be nice and drop it and I will wait and see what happens.

For the sake of conversation. Without a new CBA in place, I don't expect the big ticket guys like a Reilly to be resigned right now. I can also accept that maybe a guy like a Boateq who did a few NFL workouts hasn't been resigned because he would want to exhaust any chance. But what about a guy like Behar? Unless the CFL is looking to abolish the Canadian requirement which I doubt, what is holding you back from signing a Behar? If you look at the Esks roster right now on their page, they have as Canadian receivers, Adjei (free agent), Behar(free agent) Giguere (free agent and 33), Berryman. That's it. You will need some Canadian receivers on your team. You can draft a guy out of the CIS but chances are he won't be able to step in immediately and you still need several guys. Behar was a Brock draft pick 2 years ago. Even with the CBA not in place, what's he seriously going to make? He's not a full time starter and had 257 yards.

Ryan King is a free agent. He's a Canadian, good special teams guy, local guy, your long snapper. What's he seriously going to make that you can't have him resigned? He's from Edmonton, he lives here year round. You can probably sign him pretty easily with or without a CBA. He's only 32, he's got a few years left. If he doesn't get resigned, I bet he retires rather than move to a new City.

Blair Smith. A Canadian linebacker. Pretty good special teams guy. He can fill in on defense for a bit. Another guy that probably won't cost you a ton.

I have picked a few Canadians because like I said, unless the league is abolishing the Canadian requirement, you are going to need Canadian starts. It typically takes several years for drafted Canadians to develop. If you don't resign them, who are you getting to replace them? Canadian starters are hard to come by.
    A lot in terms of what you can offer guys is going to depend on whether Reilly comes back or not. You have to be prepared for either scenario.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Go Browns?!?!?

Big loss for the Whiners. Hard to replace that kind of scheme and skillset CJ brought to the field.

As for signing FA's vs. finding replacements. I mean, out of the list of FA's not ONE has signed? Come on, that's f*cking embarrassing in my eyes. Then again, what do I know...
    Just don’t think we have announced any yet.. or we’re only on the gentleman’s agreement..

Interesting times for sure

vCash

No contracts announced or filed with the league is a more accurate reporting. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it, but I would bet my last dollar that they have signed guys and have the contracts sitting in desk drawers. Some of those may be waiting to announce a few together. Some of those may be waiting on the CBA due to an agreement on a signing bonus. There might even be others where it's the basic structure and not yet signed, but just waiting for the final number to come in depending on the cap (ie, if they raise the league minimum, etc).

Turning over or not wanting back 75% of their roster would indeed be cause for concern... I think even half of that would be somewhat troubling. My confidence is that you're right that there are guys like King, McCarty and others that are not going anywhere and already have a good idea of their worth, independent of the CBA.

With regard to Behar, I've been holding my breath on this one a bit for two years. After his initial holdout, he ended up signing for a 1+1 contract instead of the typical 2+1... there was something that he gave up to get the earlier free agency, but I can't recall what that was. I'm not so much sweating that we lose Behar the player that we've seen for the past two seasons, but more so, I'm sweating that we lose a first round pick that reportedly has the mental makeup to know every route for every receiving position and should continue to develop his talent and hone his craft. I don't know that he's going to be a top tier receiver at any point, but when you spend a higher first round pick on a guy, you want to see him around long enough to reap some rewards for the investment. It wouldn't surprise me, in the least, if he tests free agency, just based on how his career started in terms of contract negotiations - it's his right that he's earned, but I'd rather see him re-signed.

vCash

Fair points, I guess we'll see what the actual number is closer to the day. As far as Behar I highly doubt he signs here as there was some bad blood right off the start with him holding out and publicly blasting the team. Here's another one for you, Reilly has said publicly that he isn't going to sign until a new CBA is ratified, what would you do as a GM, leave the money and position there waiting for him? Should we do that its going to put us in a bad position for other free agents or potential replacements should he go. Worst case scenario a new CBA gets ratified right before camp and he signs in BC, leaving us with not much. None the less we should have plenty to talk about over the next month.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    A lot in terms of what you can offer guys is going to depend on whether Reilly comes back or not. You have to be prepared for either scenario.
    I completely understand that. That is why I am not saying to sign that many. What Reilly is going to command will have a big impact, there is not doubt about that. But that being said, I doubt they are completely clueless with what he might make. Brock said it himself, they have a budget created with Reilly signed and not signed so they must have a rough idea. So why wouldn't you go off the assumption they you are resigning him and sign a few guys who are difficult to replace, like Canadians. There isn't this giant pool of really good, unemployed Canadians waiting. The pickings are kind of slim.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

oh i peed myself

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Sorry for the new thread guys, thought I checked all the off-season!

They really think they have a chance at LaPo over there (which they don't). They are definitely screwed for looking good to FAs.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Fair points, I guess we'll see what the actual number is closer to the day. As far as Behar I highly doubt he signs here as there was some bad blood right off the start with him holding out and publicly blasting the team. Here's another one for you, Reilly has said publicly that he isn't going to sign until a new CBA is ratified, what would you do as a GM, leave the money and position there waiting for him? Should we do that its going to put us in a bad position for other free agents or potential replacements should he go. Worst case scenario a new CBA gets ratified right before camp and he signs in BC, leaving us with not much. None the less we should have plenty to talk about over the next month.
    We don't agree on a lot of things but I think we can at least agree that trying to get Reilly back is critical. The QB position in football might be the most critical position to a sports team success in pro sports. If you don't have a competent QB, even if your team is stack at all other positions, your chances of winning are so slim. So getting Reilly back is crucial. If they don't get him back, they are probably in trouble and that is not Brock hate. That is me looking at their team depth and looking around the league at what other teams have. So when it comes to the budget, Brock himself has said he has 2, one with Reilly and one without. So if he has a budget, he must have a reasonably idea what Reilly will get. So use the budget with Reilly in there and go sign a few guys. Like I said, sign the guys that are difficult to replace like the Canadians. I see that Stafford is a free agent. Even if you want him back, if you wait to resign him and he goes somewhere else, chances are you can go and find another American receiver who's probably on par because the talent pool of American football players is huge. It is WAY harder to find a good as an example a Canadian long snapper who's a decent special teams guy like Ryan King because there physically isn't that many out there.

vCash

We don't agree on a lot of things but I think we can at least agree that trying to get Reilly back is critical. The QB position in football might be the most critical position to a sports team success in pro sports. If you don't have a competent QB, even if your team is stack at all other positions, your chances of winning are so slim. So getting Reilly back is crucial. If they don't get him back, they are probably in trouble and that is not Brock hate. That is me looking at their team depth and looking around the league at what other teams have. So when it comes to the budget, Brock himself has said he has 2, one with Reilly and one without. So if he has a budget, he must have a reasonably idea what Reilly will get. So use the budget with Reilly in there and go sign a few guys. Like I said, sign the guys that are difficult to replace like the Canadians. I see that Stafford is a free agent. Even if you want him back, if you wait to resign him and he goes somewhere else, chances are you can go and find another American receiver who's probably on par because the talent pool of American football players is huge. It is WAY harder to find a good as an example a Canadian long snapper who's a decent special teams guy like Ryan King because there physically isn't that many out there.
    Agreed but I'm not going to panic about the amount of free agents signed until the eve of free agency, it isn't a race to see who can sign more of their guys faster as there is a specific deadline. Like GWN said we may have deals already made, guess we'll see.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post

They really think they have a chance at LaPo over there (which they don't). They are definitely screwed for looking good to FAs.
    Not a prob. Good to have you join in on the discussion. It really will be interesting to see how they fill in the gaps. Whoever their HC is will most likely have to double up as a coordinator as they have maxed out on coaches based on new SMS. I suspect one of their current coordinators (Dickinson perhaps) will retain their current position and step up to head coach duties as well. That will allow them to recruit a new DC. I'm sure they are feeling a similar sting with the abruptness of his departure, much like Edmonton felt in 2015. I wish Jones well in the NFL - he's worked hard to get there. On a personal (still bitter kind of) note though, I'm glad Jones leaves the league with no real success post-2015.

vCash

When it comes to Chris Jones. I can't stand the Riders so when something bad happens to them, it doesn't make me feel bad. He's American, the NFL is the best football league in the world so I don't begrudge an American for getting an NFL job if he can. But what a scum bag. He just signed an extension Jan 8. There is NO WAY he wasn't interviewing for this job before he resigned or at least knew he was in the running.

vCash

We'll forgive you.....but only this one time....
    Yeah they're screwed blued and tattooed....maybe they can use Jones' salary and get Kavis Reed....=P

- - - Updated - - -

**** I hope they set the talent bar higher than Stafford...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Not a prob. Good to have you join in on the discussion. It really will be interesting to see how they fill in the gaps. Whoever their HC is will most likely have to double up as a coordinator as they have maxed out on coaches based on new SMS. I suspect one of their current coordinators (Dickinson perhaps) will retain their current position and step up to head coach duties as well. That will allow them to recruit a new DC. I'm sure they are feeling a similar sting with the abruptness of his departure, much like Edmonton felt in 2015. I wish Jones well in the NFL - he's worked hard to get there. On a personal (still bitter kind of) note though, I'm glad Jones leaves the league with no real success post-2015.
    I wonder how the coaches that have followed him around feel about this news? If they happen to hire a coach from outside of the existing staff, they are going to want their own people.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I wonder how the coaches that have followed him around feel about this news? If they happen to hire a coach from outside of the existing staff, they are going to want their own people.
    That'll be fun to try and do at this point in the year after teams have announced their staffs...course if they're looking for a DC I know a guy...he likes to rush 4 and play ALOT of zone and when I say alot of zone I mean ALOT of zone so much zone you think to yourself ffs will he ever stop playing zone?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    That'll be fun to try and do at this point in the year after teams have announced their staffs...course if they're looking for a DC I know a guy...he likes to rush 4 and play ALOT of zone and when I say alot of zone I mean ALOT of zone so much zone you think to yourself ffs will he ever stop playing zone?
    yes please..... I like Bene as a person but I like him WAY more as the Riders DC
    #PizStrong

vCash

And he's got experience taking over a Chris Jones led defense corps to boot. They'd be silly not to sign him up.

vCash

yes please..... I like Bene as a person but I like him WAY more as the Riders DC
    I have nothing against him personally no beefs so I hope he gets the job especially considering that D is stacked with talent to watch them have to go into a zone shell defence would be like watching someone pour ketchup on a filet mignon. Although with Jones gone I'm not so sure Jefferson re-signs I believe he's a FA isn't he? That's a big one for that D cause he moves around everywhere

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    And he's got experience taking over a Chris Jones led defense corps to boot. They'd be silly not to sign him up.
    1st and 10 - zone
    2nd and 3 -zone
    3rd and 1 from the 1 zone zone zone drop back don't let them behind you....
    Guy probably gets up in the money and doesn't let the kids pour milk into their cereal until it comes into their area....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I have nothing against him personally no beefs so I hope he gets the job especially considering that D is stacked with talent to watch them have to go into a zone shell defence would be like watching someone pour ketchup on a filet mignon. Although with Jones gone I'm not so sure Jefferson re-signs I believe he's a FA isn't he? That's a big one for that D cause he moves around everywhere

- - - Updated - - -

1st and 10 - zone
    2nd and 3 -zone
    3rd and 1 from the 1 zone zone zone drop back don't let them behind you....
    Guy probably gets up in the money and doesn't let the kids pour milk into their cereal until it comes into their area....
    interesting though regarding Jefferson, he also has some history with Lolley
    #PizStrong

vCash

From Justin Dunk...

Adam Bighill’s new contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers makes him the highest paid defensive player in the CFL, per sources.

Bighill’s three-year contract extension will pay him a signing bonus of $105,000 included in $230,000 of hard money in the first season. There is a massive $750,000-plus in hard money over the length of the agreement.

The signing bonus cannot be paid until a new CBA is ratified under a decree set forth by the CFL.

https://3downnation.com/2019/01/15/b...er-in-the-cfl/

I'm starting to wonder if some FA vets are concerned that any new SMS money will go to increase minimums for new players and nothing for the veteran contracts? Perhaps some of the these guys (like Bighill) and getting their deals signed now, while there is still money in the kitty?
    Winnipeg is crazy spending that much on a linebacker....granted, other than O-linemen, they don’t really develop players, they buy free agents, so they’ll always pay a bit more.

CJ has always been a mercenary. Curious who he takes with him. McAdoo is his guy. Thanked him a gazillion times in his Coach of the Year speech.

agreed, make his a 2 horse race IMO
    He was never going to go to Sask with McAdoo as the OC. Been there, done that.

He also has one with Ed Hervey, go figure.....guys always remember who gave them their chance....

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Brock wins serious points in my book for these comments. He still needs to restock the cupboards before I'm 100% behind him, but he spoke his mind and truly did say what a lot of us thought.
    That’s all true, but I guess he’s the new Sask & can say/do whatever & have no consequences. Still don’t take him seriously, but whatevs.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 01-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Trying not to be rude but f*ck em!!! They bolted the day after Grey Cup without so much as a “what in the world can that be...”. Sucks because they’re on thin ice unless the Whiners promote from within but do you really think a donkey like Jones is going to fight to get his staff positions down south??? Doubt it.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

I'm curious to see where Behar's head and heart is at now, some 18 months and nearly 2 full football seasons removed from his initial contract spat. I agree that there was some inflammatory language at the time, but it seemed more directed at the system than the Esks organization, and of course, mindset wrt to contracts is going to be influenced by the agent to a degree too. He's now had a few years of being around the team and coaches in Edmonton, developed relationships, and presumably, some loyalty to the organization. As mentioned, he wasn't unacquainted with Brock to start with, and I think the history was a positive one. I do believe he explores free agency, but I'm not counting him as out the door.

Reilly has said he won't sign, but given that many of the key free agent QBs are also repped by the same agent, I would expect that many of them will be in the same boat. It could make for an incredibly high-stakes game of Chicken, with both QBs waiting to sign, and teams waiting to sign a QB. Assuming Jennings is in the group of guys waiting and Bo returns to Cgy, the Edmonton might have a plan B option to pursue. BC, on the other hand, may not be able to go back down that road, though it shouldn't be irreparable, and if they're all in on Reilly, does that cause them to potentially blink and sign someone, or do they put it all on the line in a do or die situation.

I think that Jefferson is exactly the kind of athlete that Lolley would love to have, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is set to become the highest paid D-lineman in the league with his combination of age, talent, experience and versatility. He's developed a lot of affection for Saskatchewan over the past three years, but that could be put to the test without Jones steering the ship.

It's one thing to promote from within for a head coach, but I believe that Shivers is the only Defensive coach that remains with the club from those that defected after 2015. McAdoo, having the Asst HC title, is somewhat of a logical replacement, and Craig Dickenson also wouldn't surprise me as HC if going internal, but with Philion leaving and Lolley in Edmonton, there aren't a lot of coaches hanging out there that are fully-versed in running a Chris Jones defence I'd figure.

There is absolutely no way, imo, that the Riders didn't have daily updates and full knowledge of CJ's ongoing discussions and opportunities. You don't give a HC an NFL out-clause if you don't think it's actually a real possibility. If we could see it potentially coming from this far away, there is no way that Reynolds was oblivious to the risk. That said, understanding the risk, and dealing with the aftermath of your football ops just losing your GM, HC, DC and VP-Football Ops.

vCash

Other piece of the riders problem is number of coaches, which is fixed now. Since they already put their team under contract, they can only bring in one guy to fill the 2 roles CJ vacated. Logically the best option is to promote Dickenson to HC and find a real DC, doing ST by committee, but.....
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Other piece of the riders problem is number of coaches, which is fixed now. Since they already put their team under contract, they can only bring in one guy to fill the 2 roles CJ vacated. Logically the best option is to promote Dickenson to HC and find a real DC, doing ST by committee, but.....
    This new football ops cap has raised a number of questions. What if they hire a new coach and he brings in his own staff, is that even possible given that the current one is under contract? How much of Chris Jones salary will count towards the cap?
    #PizStrong

vCash

This new football ops cap has raised a number of questions. What if they hire a new coach and he brings in his own staff, is that even possible given that the current one is under contract? How much of Chris Jones salary will count towards the cap?
    The funny thing is, I'm not even sure the teams have a clear understanding of what happens. I'm a Randy Ambrosie fan, but in typical Ambrosie fashion, they will probably wing it as they go.

vCash