Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1221

Thread: CFL Offseason 2018/19

vCash

Re: CFL Offseason 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Love how Harris signed our contract and went right to work recruiting, shows high character for sure.
    Trevor is a guy that has that "it" factor. He connects well with people, and leads inspirationally. He isn't Mike Reilly, and he won't have to be, but like Mike, he has an innate ability as a leader in being able to ask for and develop trust in a football context.

Doesn't surprise me that guys that played with him like SirV and Ellingson would follow, but all the more impressive that he's building bonds and being active leading at this point in the season.

Will be interesting to see if Jason's tweeks his offensive philosophy with confidence in his defence.
    Philosophy likely stays similar, but the gameplans will have to definitely adjust. That would be the case, even if we were returning the same personnel, as they didn't function well in the second half of the season, but even more important with the change in skill sets.

Less running threat/extending the play from the QB. Probably more geared to passing under 20yds than over 30 yds. No natural replacement for the big-bodied deep threat, but intriguing pieces (proven and unproven).

You could be right that things could evolve further depending on the defensive play, but I sense that Maas was never coaching scared wrt his D last year - the sort of confidence you have to have in that profession, even if seemingly misplaced at times.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: passing under 20 yds, I almost find that preferable. Football offense relies on an ability to diversify. I think a large part of what killed the offense last year was that they knew how to get the deep bombs / big numbers, but they struggled with the little short-to-medium yardage throws that win games.

The road game vs. Hamilton this past year was a prime example of that.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Interesting tweet from Dave Campbell; tomorrow all CFL teams must reduce their roisters to 75 players. Does not include junior area protected junior players. We are presently sitting at 92.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Trevor is a guy that has that "it" factor. He connects well with people, and leads inspirationally. He isn't Mike Reilly, and he won't have to be, but like Mike, he has an innate ability as a leader in being able to ask for and develop trust in a football context.

Doesn't surprise me that guys that played with him like SirV and Ellingson would follow, but all the more impressive that he's building bonds and being active leading at this point in the season.

Philosophy likely stays similar, but the gameplans will have to definitely adjust. That would be the case, even if we were returning the same personnel, as they didn't function well in the second half of the season, but even more important with the change in skill sets.

Less running threat/extending the play from the QB. Probably more geared to passing under 20yds than over 30 yds. No natural replacement for the big-bodied deep threat, but intriguing pieces (proven and unproven).

You could be right that things could evolve further depending on the defensive play, but I sense that Maas was never coaching scared wrt his D last year - the sort of confidence you have to have in that profession, even if seemingly misplaced at times.
    I'm curious to see the changes in target depth and the discussion that will follow it. Trevor is not as mobile as Mike so I'm guessing the depth of target will go down a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Re: passing under 20 yds, I almost find that preferable. Football offense relies on an ability to diversify. I think a large part of what killed the offense last year was that they knew how to get the deep bombs / big numbers, but they struggled with the little short-to-medium yardage throws that win games.

The road game vs. Hamilton this past year was a prime example of that.
    Will be interesting to see the conversations around here when we struggle to put the ball in the end zone. Harris is an accurate QB but seems to struggle in the red zone.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I'm curious to see the changes in target depth and the discussion that will follow it. Trevor is not as mobile as Mike so I'm guessing the depth of target will go down a fair amount.

Will be interesting to see the conversations around here when we struggle to put the ball in the end zone. Harris is an accurate QB but seems to struggle in the red zone.
    Clearly what is needed in the red zone is .... a RUNNING GAME. cue Gable and the biggest line in the league.

vCash

Bombers social media doing a nice job on this one

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Nfl teams already rinsed this schedule gimmick last few weeks.. and I only saw em on twitter

The fact our schedule was out ages ago to

Smacks of, look at us!

Your to late to the party

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Nfl teams already rinsed this schedule gimmick last few weeks.. and I only saw em on twitter

The fact our schedule was out ages ago to

Smacks of, look at us!

Your to late to the party
    Single game tickets just went on sale today - that was probably the motivation for the schedule push.

vCash

I'm not a ticket holder anymore. But I did buy a ticket to the June BC game, so I can stand and clap for Mike Reilly. Then watch him get his ass handed to him.

Now that Rhodes is gone I feel morally free to spend a certain amount on the Eskimos again.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wonder if Stefan Charles might now shake loose...

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/01/f...gn-in-the-cfl/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one, and some of them stink.

From the 3DownNation article on the BC Lions approach to the draft, I had to really shake my head at a few of the characterizations made... https://3downnation.com/2019/05/02/b...d-draft-picks/

On paper, Lions’ general manager Ed Hervey has already won the off-season. He’s rebuilt his coaching staff on the fly, added arguably the best quarterback in the league in Mike Reilly, anchored his offensive line around national Sukh Chungh, gambled on a game-changing running back in John White, bolstered his receiving corps with two all-star calibre players in Lemar Durant and Duron Carter and shored up his secondary with Aaron Grymes.

I can get past the first statement, as winning the off-season is a very subjective thing, and one of the ways to look at it is getting the best player, or reshaping the team the way they want.

I am fine with the second statement about Chungh - a solid priority signing that very well could be an anchor.

I think the last statement is perfectly reasonable - it's hard to find someone that's watched him play that isn't an Aaron Grymes fan, and I expect that he and childhood friend, TJ Lee, will be huge pieces of an over-hauled secondary.

Would even the biggest Juan Blanco Quatro fan (I'm looking at you Parkies) continue to bill him as a "game-changing" running back? I love the wolfman, and the perseverance he has shown to come back from multiple serious injuries is inspiring, but this is a team that last year had Rainey, Sutton and Johnson and looking to a guy who is a full two years removed from the words game-changing.

The John White characterization seems fully rational next to the description of Lemar Durant as "all-star calibre". The guy has never exceeded 402 yards in a season and has a total of 8 TDs in 4 years. At least in Carter, he has two all-star seasons in his past (2014/2017), though both were just barely cracking the 1000 yard mark. "Bolstered" means strengthened or improved, and it's a stretch that BC improved their receiving corps this off-season.

vCash

I think we did exceptionally well in FA....I'm giddy to see what Harris can do in a Maas' system. I love Reilly... I just dont see him duplicating his numbers he had here over in BC... though I wouldn't be totally surprised if he came close...

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I think we did exceptionally well in FA....I'm giddy to see what Harris can do in a Maas' system. I love Reilly... I just dont see him duplicating his numbers he had here over in BC... though I wouldn't be totally surprised if he came close...
    I feel the same way.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I feel the same way.
    Same here, too.

Also factor in that Reilly is getting older. That kamikaze style is logically going to take its toll at some point.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Same here, too.

Also factor in that Reilly is getting older. That kamikaze style is logically going to take its toll at some point.
    Harris is only 1 year younger. He turns 33 on May 31. Mike is 34.

The Eskimos need to take the next 2 years and start developing a QB.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post

Harris' style may be considered less kamikaze style although I would suggest that Mike Reilly is becoming less kamikaze over time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Harris' style may be considered less kamikaze style although I would suggest that Mike Reilly is becoming less kamikaze over time.
    AND way less $$$$ invested in 1 position. The Lions MUST be in salary cap hell.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Fair point. Just saying that you get 3 good years out of Harris and by the end of them you had bloody well better have a QB developed.

vCash

Fair point. Just saying that you get 3 good years out of Harris and by the end of them you had bloody well better have a QB developed.
    Agreed that they need to develop the next starter.

vCash

I agree with that in this league you need to have someone that can play competently and be ready to take over if needs be.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Not sure 33 and 34 are that old anymore for a qb. Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees etc are all having career years as they get older (pushing or over 40). Similin' Hank & even Calivio had CFL success pushing 40.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Not sure 33 and 34 are that old anymore for a qb. Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees etc are all having career years as they get older (pushing or over 40). Similin' Hank & even Calivio had CFL success pushing 40.
    Very true. Even a guy like Ricky Ray who got hammered a lot in the Eskimo backfield over the years finished 2017 with over 5500 yards at 38 years old.
    Like most here, I really want to see us have some younger QB's on the roster to develop. Hoping this is the year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Very true. Even a guy like Ricky Ray who got hammered a lot in the Eskimo backfield over the years finished 2017 with over 5500 yards at 38 years old.
    Like most here, I really want to see us have some younger QB's on the roster to develop. Hoping this is the year.
    Have high hopes for Briscoe, hopefully he shows well in camp.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    You're not wrong. Although Brady, Rivers and Brees are super-elite. Burris and Calvillo wouldn't have lasted as long in a league that developed QBs better than the CFL. I mean, there are 9 teams yet only 4 good QBs in the whole damn league right now.

vCash

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

The Esks DB went Stinko de Playo on that one...

vCash

You're not wrong. Although Brady, Rivers and Brees are super-elite. Burris and Calvillo wouldn't have lasted as long in a league that developed QBs better than the CFL. I mean, there are 9 teams yet only 4 good QBs in the whole damn league right now.
    The key for elite QBs to remain elite right into their late 30s and early 40s has always been their ability to stay almost totally injury free through their prime years from say 26 to 34. If they start getting hit by injury in those years they are usually done by 36.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The key for elite QBs to remain elite right into their late 30s and early 40s has always been their ability to stay almost totally injury free through their prime years from say 26 to 34. If they start getting hit by injury in those years they are usually done by 36.
    Always be of the thought process once u hit 35 your gonna see your game decline, mainly through age/ recovery period etc

Been a few anomalies of course but not many play late thirtiesa like Ray has these days.. even ray who was actually pretty durable had some tough knocks the last few years.. u have to be grooming your next one by the time your current one is 35 no matter what..

Harris is 34 this year as well.. it’s not like we plucked a spring chicken.. gotta start bringing guys through

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Always be of the thought process once u hit 35 your gonna see your game decline, mainly through age/ recovery period etc

Been a few anomalies of course but not many play late thirtiesa like Ray has these days.. even ray who was actually pretty durable had some tough knocks the last few years.. u have to be grooming your next one by the time your current one is 35 no matter what..

Harris is 34 this year as well.. it’s not like we plucked a spring chicken.. gotta start bringing guys through
    Worth noting that every QB mentioned is a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame - those guys could lose a step or a little arm-strength and still be elite at their craft.

Trevor is a 'body is a temple' guy in terms of his prep - but we'll have to hope that our pass protection is better than in recent years, as few have been proven to stand up to the punishment Reilly took - albeit, sometimes brought on by holding the ball too long knowing he could stand in to try and make a play.

I agree that we need to be looking to identify and groom a successor, but that is so much more easily said than done. With the exception of Masoli in Hamilton, and arguably Mitchell in Calgary (fast tracked), when was the last time it was done in the CFL? Seems that the 'next one' is almost always presented with opportunities elsewhere before the grooming team is ready to hand over the reigns, or that a team invests years into a guy who doesn't prove ready for the spotlight. It's much more likely that someone else will be grooming Harris' heir apparent, and we may be grooming their guy.