Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,739
    vCash
    8550
    Rep Power
    27

    Ask Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    What if we go 5-0?

    Hear me out:

    Teams that should be a challenge just as is: Calgary, Hamilton.

    Teams that could be a big challenge after getting comfy with all the change-over: B.C., Edmonton, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck: Toronto, Montreal, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck and don't know it: Saskatchewan.

    Now the Bombers have some changes to adjust to as well, two new starters on the O-Line, loss of Santos-Knox, and some holes in the defensive backfield (though there are approx. 236 DBs in camp.....) but have stability at QB and in Coaching.

    So look at their schedule.

    Week 1: @B.C. Are Reilly, Carter and all coming off Training Camp with a brand new HC and clicking right away? Doubtful, will be more dangerous later.
    Week 2: Bye

    Week 3: Vs. Ed Lots of new faces, also more dangerous later. Home opener for Wpg.

    Week 4: @ Ott

    Week 5: Vs T.O.

    Week 6 Vs. Ott

    Am I crazy to think that that those all look pretty winnable (particularly if Ottawa doesn't find a viable QB option)?
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    We shall see what we shall see.

    Remember that Winnipeg's QB situation looked doubtful after Nichols went down in training camp. Instead, Chris Streveler showed up and put on a very impressive display, rain and lightning craziness aside. Ottawa (and T.O. to a lesser extent) has the potential to do the very same with their situations IMO.

    (Personally, part of me suspects that something crazy happens and Streveler ends up surpassing Nichols for the starter spot by season's end...but who knows?)
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,646
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Teams that suck and don't know it: Saskatchewan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,496
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    This is going to be one of the most interesting years in recent memory in the West. Does stability win (Winnipeg)? GM/player supply (Calgary)? Top QB talent (BC/Edmonton)? Can defense win a championship after the architect leaves (Sask)? How quickly do teams really come together? Can an all-star player factory recover from a big outflow?

    Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can't wait to see.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    vCash
    15857
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    What if we go 5-0?

    Hear me out:

    Teams that should be a challenge just as is: Calgary, Hamilton.

    Teams that could be a big challenge after getting comfy with all the change-over: B.C., Edmonton, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck: Toronto, Montreal, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck and don't know it: Saskatchewan.

    Now the Bombers have some changes to adjust to as well, two new starters on the O-Line, loss of Santos-Knox, and some holes in the defensive backfield (though there are approx. 236 DBs in camp.....) but have stability at QB and in Coaching.

    So look at their schedule.

    Week 1: @B.C. Are Reilly, Carter and all coming off Training Camp with a brand new HC and clicking right away? Doubtful, will be more dangerous later.
    Week 2: Bye

    Week 3: Vs. Ed Lots of new faces, also more dangerous later. Home opener for Wpg.

    Week 4: @ Ott

    Week 5: Vs T.O.

    Week 6 Vs. Ott

    Am I crazy to think that that those all look pretty winnable (particularly if Ottawa doesn't find a viable QB option)?
    In the CFL, pretty much every single game is winnable. Furthermore, early in the season there is always more randomness as teams don't have as much game film on what the others are doing particularly ones where there has been major turnover in players in key positions or coaching changes.

    An advantage for Winnipeg is that they have probably the most stable lineup compared to what they ended the season with so they likely have a chemistry/cohesion advantage. However, that also means teams likely have a better idea what they are preparing for against Winnipeg. Sure there will be new wrinkles but some tendancies may carry over.

    I wouldn't be surprised if they went 5-0, and also wouldn't be surprised if they went 3-2. I'd only be surprised if they went 1-4 or worse.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,739
    vCash
    8550
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    I just don't see things going well in Toronto no matter what, so I'm taking that win!

    Hitting Calgary twice to close the season will be interesting, Kind of hope we split those if we're seeing them in the play offs.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,496
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    I hope you win them both.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,667
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    661

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    What if we go 5-0?

    Hear me out:

    Teams that should be a challenge just as is: Calgary, Hamilton.

    Teams that could be a big challenge after getting comfy with all the change-over: B.C., Edmonton, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck: Toronto, Montreal, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck and don't know it: Saskatchewan.

    Now the Bombers have some changes to adjust to as well, two new starters on the O-Line, loss of Santos-Knox, and some holes in the defensive backfield (though there are approx. 236 DBs in camp.....) but have stability at QB and in Coaching.

    So look at their schedule.

    Week 1: @B.C. Are Reilly, Carter and all coming off Training Camp with a brand new HC and clicking right away? Doubtful, will be more dangerous later.
    Week 2: Bye

    Week 3: Vs. Ed Lots of new faces, also more dangerous later. Home opener for Wpg.

    Week 4: @ Ott

    Week 5: Vs T.O.

    Week 6 Vs. Ott

    Am I crazy to think that that those all look pretty winnable (particularly if Ottawa doesn't find a viable QB option)?
    The CFL season cannot get underway until Mac makes his wildly optimistic Bombers prediction........ I love it.

    In reality, you may not be that far off but you'll need to make some hay in that stretch as more than likely 3 of those games will be against teams that should be under 500 at seasons end.
    #PizStrong

  9. #9

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    This is going to be one of the most interesting years in recent memory in the West. Does stability win (Winnipeg)? GM/player supply (Calgary)? Top QB talent (BC/Edmonton)? Can defense win a championship after the architect leaves (Sask)? How quickly do teams really come together? Can an all-star player factory recover from a big outflow?

    Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can't wait to see.
    At this point, I could see any one of Edmonton, Calgary, BC, or Winnipeg finishing first in the West.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,962
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    91

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    What if we go 5-0?

    Hear me out:

    Teams that should be a challenge just as is: Calgary, Hamilton.

    Teams that could be a big challenge after getting comfy with all the change-over: B.C., Edmonton, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck: Toronto, Montreal, maybe Ottawa

    Teams that suck and don't know it: Saskatchewan.

    Now the Bombers have some changes to adjust to as well, two new starters on the O-Line, loss of Santos-Knox, and some holes in the defensive backfield (though there are approx. 236 DBs in camp.....) but have stability at QB and in Coaching.

    So look at their schedule.

    Week 1: @B.C. Are Reilly, Carter and all coming off Training Camp with a brand new HC and clicking right away? Doubtful, will be more dangerous later.
    Week 2: Bye

    Week 3: Vs. Ed Lots of new faces, also more dangerous later. Home opener for Wpg.

    Week 4: @ Ott

    Week 5: Vs T.O.

    Week 6 Vs. Ott

    Am I crazy to think that that those all look pretty winnable (particularly if Ottawa doesn't find a viable QB option)?
    Well … it is the CFL and more than most seasons things are "up in the air". At this point, all is speculation. I'd be really surprised, though, if the Bombers went 0-5-0

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,739
    vCash
    8550
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    I'm trying really hard not to assume the Stamps will take a tumble, but it seems more possible than it has in a long time. GMs and coaches dealing with "find an O-lineman" or, "find two DBs" aren't really proving anything. I think this defensive turn-over with Claybrooks gone as well could be significant, but we'll need to see.

    For the record, I'm not sure I want the Bombers to stay un-defeated too long, as easy wins don't build much but false expectations. Making the play offsis good no matter how we manage, though!
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,890
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    215

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    I'm trying really hard not to assume the Stamps will take a tumble, but it seems more possible than it has in a long time. GMs and coaches dealing with "find an O-lineman" or, "find two DBs" aren't really proving anything. I think this defensive turn-over with Claybrooks gone as well could be significant, but we'll need to see.

    For the record, I'm not sure I want the Bombers to stay un-defeated too long, as easy wins don't build much but false expectations. Making the play offsis good no matter how we manage, though!
    oh I wouldn't worry about that =P
    In Rod we trust

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,131
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    185

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Bombers are pre season favourites imho u guys should be buzzing!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,496
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Stamps are until proven otherwise IMHO
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,739
    vCash
    8550
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Stamps are until proven otherwise IMHO
    Glen, you've had my respect for at least a decade, but..... does that H really belong in there?
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,496
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: Question about my dear Blue Bombers......

    Depends what it stands for
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •