View Poll Results: Who Gets Your Support in the CBA Negotiations?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • #TeamCFLPA

13 61.90%
  • CFL - Still need more solid footing

3 14.29%
  • Undecided

0 0%
  • Don't care - just get it done!

5 23.81%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CFL CBA Situation

vCash

Re: CFL CBA Situation

I think BC Place use has dropped mostly because of the new Trade and Convention Centre taking a lot of that type of business. Prior to that BC Place was pretty much booked everyday from mid-January until mid-April. It would be one trade show after another.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Let's not screw this up men. Could be my last season and I want to see Esks beat the Lions in the West final and then win the Grey Cup. Oh, and see Trump killed by a hamberder delivery truck.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    Let's not screw this up men. Could be my last season and I want to see Esks beat the Lions in the West final and then win the Grey Cup. Oh, and see Trump killed by a hamberder delivery truck.
    Won't be your last season, only the good die young....you should last forever.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

There are a vocal core of players that are active on social media that have been speaking up for some time. Derek Dennis, Shawn Lemon, James Wilder, Brandon Banks, etc.

There are CFLPA reps that have been talking the party line. Solomon Elimimian, Rob Maver, John Bowman, Odell Willis, etc.

Now we're hearing from some pretty influential players in Mike Reilly and Bo Mitchell.

There are some, Rod Peterson among them, that are predicting that the players will "cave as usual" when training camps roll around. There are some that point out that rookies are not actually CFLPA members yet, having not yet Meade a roster and paid dues. I've heard some speculate that the 'league minimum guys" have something to stay out for, but wonder about the commitment of the players making two to three steps above that - whether they'll maintain solidarity.

Still hope it doesn't come to a labour stoppage but I am more convinced that ever that the PA is different this time around, both in its preparation, what it's seeking, and perhaps in solidarity. The latter has been heightened by Ambrosio continuing to stand by the Orridge edict that teams not pay out (contractually due) bonuses this off-season. Understanding that Orridge has been gone for two years, it does put a certain amount of light on the premeditation of that move.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    There are a vocal core of players that are active on social media that have been speaking up for some time. Derek Dennis, Shawn Lemon, James Wilder, Brandon Banks, etc.

There are CFLPA reps that have been talking the party line. Solomon Elimimian, Rob Maver, John Bowman, Odell Willis, etc.

Now we're hearing from some pretty influential players in Mike Reilly and Bo Mitchell.

There are some, Rod Peterson among them, that are predicting that the players will "cave as usual" when training camps roll around. There are some that point out that rookies are not actually CFLPA members yet, having not yet Meade a roster and paid dues. I've heard some speculate that the 'league minimum guys" have something to stay out for, but wonder about the commitment of the players making two to three steps above that - whether they'll maintain solidarity.

Still hope it doesn't come to a labour stoppage but I am more convinced that ever that the PA is different this time around, both in its preparation, what it's seeking, and perhaps in solidarity. The latter has been heightened by Ambrosio continuing to stand by the Orridge edict that teams not pay out (contractually due) bonuses this off-season. Understanding that Orridge has been gone for two years, it does put a certain amount of light on the premeditation of that move.
    This negotiation scares me. While there are teams like the Riders, Eskimos, Bombers and Stamps that all seem to be financially sound, there are also teams like Toronto and Montreal that seem to be struggling. Usually I am pro player but there needs to be a balance found o ensure that the have not teams can survive. I wouldn't mind seeing "maximum contract" cap that would help to redistribute the player salaries amongst each of the teams while not adding much to each teams bottom line.
    #PizStrong

vCash

There won't be a labour stoppage. If it gets down to brass tacks, TSN will impose conditions.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    This negotiation scares me. While there are teams like the Riders, Eskimos, Bombers and Stamps that all seem to be financially sound, there are also teams like Toronto and Montreal that seem to be struggling. Usually I am pro player but there needs to be a balance found o ensure that the have not teams can survive. I wouldn't mind seeing "maximum contract" cap that would help to redistribute the player salaries amongst each of the teams while not adding much to each teams bottom line.
    At a certain point, for the league to progress, especially in light of competitive threats (assuming one stays in business), there needs to be some growth in compensation. Doesn't have to be a huge jump, but I don't feel the salaries have kept up as needed.

It's hard to advocate for equalization between clubs when most are privately owned, but if not some form of that, then it's going to be incumbent on the lowest common denominator to keep up rather than hold things back for the whole league. I wouldn't be advocating for back-breaking raises in the cap - maybe 10% one time and 2% per year after that - but to me, it is more about other things.

Elements of partnership such as more voice in rule changes, player safety and league initiatives (CFL2.0). Health and safety benefits to avoid situations like Jonathon Hefney, whether through existing or innovative means. Those are the things that, I believe, make this negotiation different. Ambrosie has, authentically I believe, talked at length about respect for and love of the players and being partners. Ultimately, everyone knows he works for the owners though, and it's going to be interesting to see whether he can truly bridge on some of the "non-financial" or "pseudo-financial" (health benefits come with costs) issues, or if his empowerment isn't enough.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    There won't be a labour stoppage. If it gets down to brass tacks, TSN will impose conditions.
    That implies TSN would coerce the league into settling, not the players, correct?

While they would definitely exert sizeable influence, I would be surprised if the owners actually take what they perceive to be a "bad deal" just to appease TSN. I'm not familiar with broadcast contracts, but given the CBA elements in pro sports, it would likely be already addressed in the contract language as to whether there are remedies/penalties, etc. If it's closing a small gap, that's one thing - but if it is a large one...

vCash

That implies TSN would coerce the league into settling, not the players, correct?

While they would definitely exert sizeable influence, I would be surprised if the owners actually take what they perceive to be a "bad deal" just to appease TSN. I'm not familiar with broadcast contracts, but given the CBA elements in pro sports, it would likely be already addressed in the contract language as to whether there are remedies/penalties, etc. If it's closing a small gap, that's one thing - but if it is a large one...
    I think you mistake my meaning. When you say "owners" I say "TSN", who are the owners of the whole shebang.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

I suspect the CFLPA won't get everything they are hoping for - which would probably lead to a shorter term on this CBA.
    - just my theory.

vCash

At a certain point, for the league to progress, especially in light of competitive threats (assuming one stays in business), there needs to be some growth in compensation. Doesn't have to be a huge jump, but I don't feel the salaries have kept up as needed.

It's hard to advocate for equalization between clubs when most are privately owned, but if not some form of that, then it's going to be incumbent on the lowest common denominator to keep up rather than hold things back for the whole league. I wouldn't be advocating for back-breaking raises in the cap - maybe 10% one time and 2% per year after that - but to me, it is more about other things.

Elements of partnership such as more voice in rule changes, player safety and league initiatives (CFL2.0). Health and safety benefits to avoid situations like Jonathon Hefney, whether through existing or innovative means. Those are the things that, I believe, make this negotiation different. Ambrosie has, authentically I believe, talked at length about respect for and love of the players and being partners. Ultimately, everyone knows he works for the owners though, and it's going to be interesting to see whether he can truly bridge on some of the "non-financial" or "pseudo-financial" (health benefits come with costs) issues, or if his empowerment isn't enough.
    I fully support the players getting benefits as its long overdue and would love to see a gradual increase in the cap (as long as the teams can survive under it)
    #PizStrong

vCash

Maybe it's been discussed in this thread before...but one thing I'd like to see is that if a player is under contract and cut, then he still gets paid out for his contract (maybe not under the salary cap). Right now the teams have all the power, and players can be cut at the snap of a finger, often just before a bonus is due. That's not a great way to try to make a living.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Maybe it's been discussed in this thread before...but one thing I'd like to see is that if a player is under contract and cut, then he still gets paid out for his contract (maybe not under the salary cap). Right now the teams have all the power, and players can be cut at the snap of a finger, often just before a bonus is due. That's not a great way to try to make a living.
    I hear what you are saying; I don't like seeing players getting screwed over. The problem is there are some teams out there that can afford to rotate players in and out and still pay all those contracts while others would have a tough time keeping up. It would create an unbalance. I could see (some) teams finding loopholes to (over) pay players through off-season bonus incentives, & cut them prior to bonuses being due. This ensures the player gets his full pay and the team doesn't take an SMS hit on the bonus. I think any contract pay outs would need to be tied into SMS somehow.

vCash

I see what you are saying but it happens the other way as well.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I've come to look at bonuses more as forced decision points for teams... particularly those that are not 'achieved' statistically, but are more just up-front payments (roster bonus, signing bonus, etc). Knowing the rules and that the contracts are not guaranteed, a savvy agent will have these due in Jan, rather than Mar, so their client has a jump on free agency if a team decides not to pay it and release the player.

I think all the way back to John Avery, who signed as a free agent with the Argos after his breakout in Edm. A year later, after outbidding us, the Argos wanted to renegotiate his contract lower. One of the first memories I had about the unfairness of the situation for players at times.

The NFL is moving toward more and more upfront/guaranteed money in their contracts - which are also not guaranteed. That can be a move toward a solution for those players with the bargaining power to get it, but for the rest of the players, I wonder if it could move to a 'severance' payment rather than guaranteeing the entire contract. Get cut and receive a few weeks pay, like most other employees would. Perhaps a longshot to happen, and I haven't heard it spoken of as a priority issue identified for the CFLPA before.

vCash

I've come to look at bonuses more as forced decision points for teams... particularly those that are not 'achieved' statistically, but are more just up-front payments (roster bonus, signing bonus, etc). Knowing the rules and that the contracts are not guaranteed, a savvy agent will have these due in Jan, rather than Mar, so their client has a jump on free agency if a team decides not to pay it and release the player.

I think all the way back to John Avery, who signed as a free agent with the Argos after his breakout in Edm. A year later, after outbidding us, the Argos wanted to renegotiate his contract lower. One of the first memories I had about the unfairness of the situation for players at times.

The NFL is moving toward more and more upfront/guaranteed money in their contracts - which are also not guaranteed. That can be a move toward a solution for those players with the bargaining power to get it, but for the rest of the players, I wonder if it could move to a 'severance' payment rather than guaranteeing the entire contract. Get cut and receive a few weeks pay, like most other employees would. Perhaps a longshot to happen, and I haven't heard it spoken of as a priority issue identified for the CFLPA before.
    I think when it comes to these "bonuses" the term "bonus" is not really accurate. Most are in reality a portion of their overall salary to be paid up front. "Bonus" gives the impression of being extra money being paid above and beyond what the player would earn in salary for providing services as a player for the 18 game regular season. IMO most of these "bonuses" are effectively an advance on their salaries. To use an old term we used when I worked in payroll in a logging camp they would be drags on their next paycheque albeit pre-arranged drags. In our case though we would never advance the employee anything more than he'd already earned during the current pay period and accumulated in vacation pay.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I think when it comes to these "bonuses" the term "bonus" is not really accurate. Most are in reality a portion of their overall salary to be paid up front. "Bonus" gives the impression of being extra money being paid above and beyond what the player would earn in salary for providing services as a player for the 18 game regular season. IMO most of these "bonuses" are effectively an advance on their salaries. To use an old term we used when I worked in payroll in a logging camp they would be drags on their next paycheque albeit pre-arranged drags. In our case though we would never advance the employee anything more than he'd already earned during the current pay period and accumulated in vacation pay.
    Good way to look at it.

In a traditional job, you earn your compensation when you put in the hours or perform the job duties. In the case of the CFL, I think there is some recognition that some is earned game-by-game in salary, some is earned through the commitment to the team (off-season/report/pass physical) and some are earned through extra performances (true bonuses).

Paying for the commitment, at that point in time, obviously contains a little risk for the teams, as we've seen that some players will take the off-season up-front money and retire, but that's a big minority of cases... particularly when compared to the other way around.

I see some speculation on 3DownNation about whether players would be at risk for their reporting bonuses if they id not report to camp without a CBA. First question in my mind is What bonuses? The ones that the CFL is not paying when due? To me, while they may have to look at the contract language, and it sounds like it could differ team-by-team, it's not something that the CFLPA would allow to happen, and those bonuses would likely be pushed to when there is a CBA done and the players report. I normally hate the comments section of the articles there, but there were a few interesting ones posted by former player Ken Evraire, who echoed some of DDS' comments regarding the power of TSN, and also the meaning of the support of the big money/big name players. Worth noting, in addition to Mike Reilly and Bo Mitchell, who have declared their intent - Trevor Harris is a CFLPA rep (for Ottawa - they don't elect new ones until training camp), and both Matt Nichols and James Franklin are past teammates of Exec Director, Brian Ramsay, who is going to be held in high regard by those that have shared a locker room with him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I was one of the 3 lucky Lions ST holders to win our tickets this year. It would be my luck to get reimbursed what I paid.

Rejigging the schedule would not be easy but that's why they have computer systems. In the case of the Lions they do share with the Whitecaps and both have schedules that amount to home games every second week or thereabouts. But they can also turn the stadium over from one sport to the next in short order. I think it used to be around 3 days but they have reduced that significantly. What it could mean is worst case they wind up with a game on say a Monday or Thursday instead of Saturday if they have to double up on a weekend that has the Caps at home.
    If it is simply two weeks lost, it probably isn't too complicated as you'd need to just drop the games that are extra and everybody plays each other twice. Cancel one of the two home game you had against a three time opponent, and one of the two road games against against the other three time opponent.

In the Esks case, it's actually quite easy. 2 weeks means they'd lose a home game vs. the Als and Lions. The Lions are one of their two time home building opponents so that game is just scratched with no need to reschedule. For the Als game, the Esks have a bye in Week 4 and the Als play their two time home opponent (Hamiltion). Cancel the Hamilton at Montreal game and have Montreal fly to Edmonton and it is solved for Edmonton after they cancel Week 8 in Calgary.

I'm sure there is likely to be at least one sticky situation to resolve, but Week 1 and 2 only have 7 games in total. I showed a simple way to deal with 2 of them, so there is only 5 more.

Toronto plays at home vs. Hamilton in Week 2 who they have 3 games against. Swap home teams for one of the later two games in Hamilton, and another one is solved. 4 to go.

Ottawa plays the Als at home twice. One of those weeks are during a Rider bye week, so cancel the game vs. the Als and the Riders can take that spot. Now 3 to go.

Ottawa plays in Toronto twice, Calgary in Winnipeg twice, both of these happen on Week 20. Cancel both, and have Ottawa play in Calgary Week 20. 2 more to go.

With the Winnipeg game cancelled on the 20th, they now have a week off the same time as BC, so they could fly to BC to make up the lost game from Week 1. Only one more game to go. Sask at Hamilton.

Unfortunately, nothing lines up perfectly, but in this scenario Hamilton wouldn't have any games weeks 4, 6, 13, 18 and Saskatchewan 10, 12, 17, and Saskatchewan needs to cancel one of the games vs. BC week 7 or 19. So perhaps a single game swap can get it done.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    If it is simply two weeks lost, it probably isn't too complicated as you'd need to just drop the games that are extra and everybody plays each other twice. Cancel one of the two home game you had against a three time opponent, and one of the two road games against against the other three time opponent.

In the Esks case, it's actually quite easy. 2 weeks means they'd lose a home game vs. the Als and Lions. The Lions are one of their two time home building opponents so that game is just scratched with no need to reschedule. For the Als game, the Esks have a bye in Week 4 and the Als play their two time home opponent (Hamiltion). Cancel the Hamilton at Montreal game and have Montreal fly to Edmonton and it is solved for Edmonton after they cancel Week 8 in Calgary.

I'm sure there is likely to be at least one sticky situation to resolve, but Week 1 and 2 only have 7 games in total. I showed a simple way to deal with 2 of them, so there is only 5 more.

Toronto plays at home vs. Hamilton in Week 2 who they have 3 games against. Swap home teams for one of the later two games in Hamilton, and another one is solved. 4 to go.

Ottawa plays the Als at home twice. One of those weeks are during a Rider bye week, so cancel the game vs. the Als and the Riders can take that spot. Now 3 to go.

Ottawa plays in Toronto twice, Calgary in Winnipeg twice, both of these happen on Week 20. Cancel both, and have Ottawa play in Calgary Week 20. 2 more to go.

With the Winnipeg game cancelled on the 20th, they now have a week off the same time as BC, so they could fly to BC to make up the lost game from Week 1. Only one more game to go. Sask at Hamilton.

Unfortunately, nothing lines up perfectly, but in this scenario Hamilton wouldn't have any games weeks 4, 6, 13, 18 and Saskatchewan 10, 12, 17, and Saskatchewan needs to cancel one of the games vs. BC week 7 or 19. So perhaps a single game swap can get it done.
    Found a clean way. I assumed cancelling Week 17 in Winnipeg so as to not cancel the Banjo Bowl rematch game. If instead they cancelled that, Saskatchewan could play in Hamilton that week and just keep Week 17 swapping venues.

All in this scenario required only 6 new game times for home teams. Understanding a week can be anything from Thursday to Sunday it shouldn't be too crazy to figure out.

Week 4 in Edmonton,
    One of Week 12 or 21 in Toronto (swapped building but same teams),
    Week 20 in Calgary
    Week 20 in BC; and
    Week 17 in Winnipeg (swapped Building but same teams)
    Week 13 in Hamilton
    Last edited by bone; 04-24-2019 at 02:56 PM.

vCash

You have demonstrated that it could be done logistically, and the question becomes the economics of it.

9 games gone from the schedule (approximately 10% of the season) could result in 10% rebated to TSN from broadcast deal, 10% of sponsorship dollars returned, 10% of season ticket funds reimbursed or otherwise credited, etc.

While it would come with some travel savings, player salary savings, etc, it's been fairly well established that those likely represent less than 30% of revenues. There would remain fixed costs for stadium leases, operational salaries, etc, and one can never tell how much reactionary carnage there might be from fans, whether abstaining due to anger with league, players or both.

There is a lot at stake here, and I am hoping that bargaining sessions ramp up from the two days a week that were occurring prior to the league pausing talks.

vCash

You have demonstrated that it could be done logistically, and the question becomes the economics of it.

9 games gone from the schedule (approximately 10% of the season) could result in 10% rebated to TSN from broadcast deal, 10% of sponsorship dollars returned, 10% of season ticket funds reimbursed or otherwise credited, etc.

While it would come with some travel savings, player salary savings, etc, it's been fairly well established that those likely represent less than 30% of revenues. There would remain fixed costs for stadium leases, operational salaries, etc, and one can never tell how much reactionary carnage there might be from fans, whether abstaining due to anger with league, players or both.

There is a lot at stake here, and I am hoping that bargaining sessions ramp up from the two days a week that were occurring prior to the league pausing talks.
    100%. Economically, it could be a disaster. I was only tackling that the logistics (if short in duration) shouldn't be too complicated.

vCash
    Blog Entries

...or worse yet apathy.
    RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    ...or worse yet apathy.
    There tends to be a bit of apathy until Labour Day anyways, so I think anger is the larger concern. However, Joe Public knows these players don't make very much so I can't see them being pissed and boycotting if it is only a couple games that are lost because the players hold out for better safety/injury protection.

Never good for a fringe league like the CFL to have any stoppage, but I don't see something like the boycotts for MLB which many still to this day bear grudges, nor some of the hockey fans that haven't returned since any of the various stoppages.

I feel any loss of fans would more likely be where the fans were already on the way out for other reasons.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I for one am especially hoping they get it together. I'll be moving far away from Edmonton sometime this summer (just waiting on some paperwork), and I'd really like to go to one last Esks game before I leave for good.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I for one am especially hoping they get it together. I'll be moving far away from Edmonton sometime this summer (just waiting on some paperwork), and I'd really like to go to one last Esks game before I leave for good.
    You won't have a chance to see a game on parole?
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    You won't have a chance to see a game on parole?
    Riders games are the only option for that.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Riders games are the only option for that.
    Day parole to attend??? It all makes sense now :-)
    Last edited by danlaurin; 04-25-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    There tends to be a bit of apathy until Labour Day anyways, so I think anger is the larger concern. However, Joe Public knows these players don't make very much so I can't see them being pissed and boycotting if it is only a couple games that are lost because the players hold out for better safety/injury protection.

Never good for a fringe league like the CFL to have any stoppage, but I don't see something like the boycotts for MLB which many still to this day bear grudges, nor some of the hockey fans that haven't returned since any of the various stoppages.

I feel any loss of fans would more likely be where the fans were already on the way out for other reasons.
    By and large, I think you're right about the average fan not lumping CFL players in with millionaires that play other professional sports, and I think the community service per dollar of salary is well recognized. That likely buys the players a fair bit of sympathy for their plight, as long as their requests are deemed reasonable. To date, the league hasn't countered any of the public narrative that the players have put forth, so there isn't a lot of push back on the economic viability of what they're asking for. Once that comes, it could dent the support somewhat.

At the same time, I've been surprised by how many "fans" I see on Twitter or comments sections in places like 3 Down Nation, that seem to espouse the "shut up and play" or "if you don't like the terms then go home" mentalities. This vocal minority of trolls or ill-informed/ill-tempered will likely grow in volume if there is a disruption.

With a 97.3% Yes vote on the strike mandate, there is stronger unity in the CFLPA at this point than I would have ever believed. Will be interesting to see if it can be maintained if push comes to shove. With negotiations resuming Monday in Toronto, this mandate, and the time away, should have a serious impact on the urgency to get something done so long as both sides are serious and not focused on playing a game of chicken.

vCash